Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Foods Are Considered Part Of The "gluten Free Market"?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 Hodge05

Hodge05

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hey fellow Celiacs,

For my economics class I am doing a paper on the rise in demand in gluten free foods. There are multiple websites that discuss the rise in gluten free goods. This is an example http://www.celiac.co...2017/Page1.html . What foods are apart of the gluten free market though? Fruits and veggies I would guess are not but they are technically gluten free. Where does something go from being gluten free and not in the market to being gluten free and in the market? Thanks for your help.

Alex

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hi Alex.

I would interpret the gluten free food market to be those foods which are specifically manufactured by food processors to be safe to eat for those who must be gluten free. This entails foods that, as part of a normal diet, usually contain gluten. So recipes are devised using non-gluten products to take the place of these gluten-containing foods so that celiacs and gluten intolerants do not feel so deprived. This can range from bread, waffles, gluten-free flours and pastas, to things like gluten-free soy sauces, candies, beers, etc., etc.

And you are right that those foods that are inherently gluten free should not be included in this market. Fortunately for us, the basics of nutrition are almost entirely gluten free. That doesn't stop food manufacturers and processors from adding gluten to things like meat, chicken and beef stock, ham, bacon -- the list is almost endless of foods that should not contain gluten, but do.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

You could also divide it in two - there are those brands that are created based on the gluten-free concept - Glutino, Udi's, Kinnikinnik, etc. - and then there are those other main stream brands that are jumping on the band wagon or now offering some gluten-free items - Campbells soup now has some soups that say gluten free on the label, though most of their soups are not. Safeway and other stores have gluten-free lists on their websites that list 'safe' products that are not labelled gluten free.

Ok, I guess that's three categories - certified gluten free companies that only do gluten-free, companies that have some gluten-free offerings, and companies that are not certified gluten-free but offer a list of gluten-free options.

The last one can cause issues for celiacs (vs. the gluten sensitive)....worth noting.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Don't forget the group that I'd call bandwagon companies. Offering things that may have always been gluten free, don't need to be labeled gluten free, but they're slapping that label on it as if we're all morons and need to know that WATER doesn't contain gluten. That or they just want to seem hip and on top of things. I'm not sure where they fit in, but they are clearly attempting to be part of the gluten free market. It isn't just water, but all sorts of things that don't need a gluten-free label, and for which the label proudly displayed on the front is positively absurd.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Also, many grocery stores have a separate shelf for gluten-free foods. And a separate freezer area for frozen gluten-free foods like breads etc. Many stores mark gluten-free items with a green "gluten-free" sticker or some other gluten-free label, beyond the marking on the product packaging itself. And restraunts have separate gluten-free menus sometimes.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

And you might want to mention places like Dominoes Pizza, whick claims to have a gluten-free pizza, but it is made in the same room, in the same pans, with the same utensils that they make their regular pizza, thus rendering them gluten FULL. There are many other companies claiming to have gluten-free options that are so cross-contaminated that no celiac can safely eat them. :angry:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 Hodge05

Hodge05

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the responses. Do you think that foods must specifically mention that they are gluten free for it to be in the market? There are some products that are gluten free but they are not advertised as such on the actual food item. You have to go online or email/call them to get an answer. Would these be included?

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

To know for sure you would likely need to get a copy of the original report that is cited in the article.
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: