Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halcee

Does Unilever Make Gluten-Free Sidekicks?

So, I've got this sister, and she's kind of fat cuz she's lazy and s$#&, so she's going gluten-free to lose weight.  But I may Sidekicks like every night in my house, and I wanna know if Unilever got themselves some gluten-free ones.  And I tried calling them, but third largest company in the world can't even get themselves a 24/7 call centre, so i'm posting it here.  seriously, get a 24/7 call centre, just saying.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Read the ingredients on the package?

But how will eating all that processed stuff help her lose weight? The gluten free diet isn't a diet to lose weight, its a medical diet. If you just replace your gluten foods with a gluten-free version, you may actually have the same or more calories. For instance, gluten-free bread usually has more calories per slice than regular gluten bread.

Not only are those things not healthy, but to the best of my knowledge no company makes any such thing that is gluten free at a reasonable price. Rather than eating pasta, rice or potatoes out of a pouch that are full of fat and crap that is bad, or going gluten free when it isn't necessary, eating a healthy and well balanced diet may be the most effective step to good weight management.

Of course, it would help to have a good support system in place as well and frankly you come off as kind of mean about it. If that's how you're going to be about it, no wonder she eats crap to feel good because her family isn't making her warm and fuzzy inside. Nothing is more detrimental to a weight loss plan than having your family call you fat and lazy and s$#& rather than being supportive about your choice to change your life.

I will pass up the whole eating gluten-free issue to lose weight thing for now, I think the previous people addressed that appropriately.  

Before I went gluten-free, I loved those pouch noodles and such, and no, they don't make any that are gluten free.  However, once you realize what is in them it is pretty simple to replicate the noodles + gravy thing yourself.  However you can not replicate the taste of the artificial flavors in the pouch mixes, which a lot of people prefer to the real thing.

Basic gravy recipe:

Melt 1 tblsp butter/oil/fat in small saucepan, whisk in 1 Tblsp gluten-free flour  (for a roux I use half cornstarch half brown rice flour seems to work well but I haven't tried this in a dark roux), stir over medium heat until it bubbles and cook for a minute or so.  Whisk in 1 cup stock/broth/milk depending on what kind of gravy you want.  Simmer a little bit and voila! Gravy.  Multiply to your hearts desire.  You can add a gluten-free boullion cube, herbs (like poultry seasoning), spices, whatever to make a nice sauce to complement what you are serving.

To replicate the knorr noodle side things I would say 2 cups of that gravy, with poultry seasoning and an extra boullion cube mixed in, over gluten-free noodles, may be pretty tasty.  

TL;DR Your sister is not going to lose weight by going gluten-free, have her go talk to a registered dietitian instead to educate her properly.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

I am a healed celiac (repeat biopsy confirmed) and I drink red wine on occasion.  No gluten reactions.  I do not drink it on a regular basis because it triggers my facial Rosacea which is probably due to the tannins found in red wine (grape sk...
    Never went to a "gym" always felt on edge there and only used hotel ones at 4am when no one else was. What  invested in a few years after I got diagnosed was a set of resistant bands, a stationary bike (late got a under desk elliptical,...
    Think I just had a serve response to some red wine I drank last night, severe cramps, bloating, etc. I have never had a reaction like this to red wine, a new bottle I’ve never tried before. Has anyone had a gluten reaction to red wine? ...