Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

TripleB

Book for Introduction to Gluten Free Living?

Rate this topic

I recently picked up the book "Serve to Win" by Novak Djokovic...mainly because I love tennis, it was on sale for $7, and I was interested in learning how he went from struggling (and retiring) in matches to becoming super fit and crushing everyone he plays.

I was intrigued with what he had to say about moving to a Gluten Free lifestyle and his 14-day Gluten Free plan.  I am going to start this 14 day plan tomorrow and see how my body reacts to it.

Are there any other books you would recommend that give a fantastic introduction to living gluten free and give me all the information I need to make my gluten free living as great as it can be*?

Also, what should I expect from my body when moving to gluten free eating?

*Let me say up front, I'm not much of a cooker and my wife isn't going gluten free with me (yet) so a book full of just recipes is not something I'm looking to buy

Thank you for any and all help!

TripleB

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Most of us here go gluten free for medical reasons not because their favorite sports star is gluten-free.   So , its hard to say what you will experience. 

If you think you might have Celiac Disease, you should get all testing done before going gluten free as the testing does not work when gluten free.

For people with celiac disease there are several books written by Celiac experts that can be helpful.  Dr. A Fasano has one.  Melinda 

I will look them up and put them on this post shortly.

Here we go:

Real Life with Celiac Disease

Melinda Dennis, MS, RD, LDN Daniel Leffler, MD. MS

The Celiac Center at Beth israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston.

Gluten Freedom by Alessio Fasano

Recognizing Celiac Disease by Cleo J. Libonati

Edited by kareng

Join eNewsletter

Thank you very much for the links and suggestions of books.

To be honest he's not my favorite sports star...but when someone, from a sport I follow closely, goes from not being able to win (or even last through) tough match to dominating every match, it makes me wonder what has changed.  So I picked up the book to read about him but also to learn how he made this incredible turn around.

During a 3 month period last year I lost 30 pounds, working out with some weights during that time, but never really felt a great deal better.  Skinnier and more muscles but I was still just as tired, no more focused on ever day tasks, and wasn't sleeping any better.  So after Christmas I stopped what I was doing and since then have gained about 6 pounds back.

When I read this book and saw what he mentioned about better sleep, better focus, better feeling, and better tennis...I decided that this may be what I'm needing.  When I set my mind to something I don't just do it half way, if I'm going to try going gluten free for 14 days, then it's going to be totally gluten free for 14 days.  If going gluten free offers me everything he says it will then fantastic and I will stick with it...if not, then I've only lost 14 days and enjoyed a lot more fruits and veggies than I normally do.

Again, I appreciate your help!

TripleB

Join eNewsletter

1 hour ago, TripleB said:

Thank you very much for the links and suggestions of books.

To be honest he's not my favorite sports star...but when someone, from a sport I follow closely, goes from not being able to win (or even last through) tough match to dominating every match, it makes me wonder what has changed.  So I picked up the book to read about him but also to learn how he made this incredible turn around.

During a 3 month period last year I lost 30 pounds, working out with some weights during that time, but never really felt a great deal better.  Skinnier and more muscles but I was still just as tired, no more focused on ever day tasks, and wasn't sleeping any better.  So after Christmas I stopped what I was doing and since then have gained about 6 pounds back.

When I read this book and saw what he mentioned about better sleep, better focus, better feeling, and better tennis...I decided that this may be what I'm needing.  When I set my mind to something I don't just do it half way, if I'm going to try going gluten free for 14 days, then it's going to be totally gluten free for 14 days.  If going gluten free offers me everything he says it will then fantastic and I will stick with it...if not, then I've only lost 14 days and enjoyed a lot more fruits and veggies than I normally do.

Again, I appreciate your help!

TripleB

If you actually have Celiac, 14 days is not enough to heal years of disease .  We have to be gluten-free to live.  People playing around with gluten free as a fad or cool diet ......well..it's....ugh!  I can't think of a nice way to say it.....  It's like deciding to play with a wheelchair and saying " it's fun to wheel around!! You people who need a chair are lucky!"

Join eNewsletter

I apologize if I offended anyone with my post or questions...it definitely was not my intent.

My goal is for my body to be as healthy and feel as great as possible...I thought removing gluten from my diet could possibly help with that.

I don't take the struggles that people go through with celiac disease lightly at all...one of friends of 25 years has celiac disease and I have seen what he has to go through.

Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone and will look for my information elsewhere from now on!

TripleB

Join eNewsletter

7 minutes ago, TripleB said:

I apologize if I offended anyone with my post or questions...it definitely was not my intent.

My goal is for my body to be as healthy and feel as great as possible...I thought removing gluten from my diet could possibly help with that.

I don't take the struggles that people go through with celiac disease lightly at all...one of friends of 25 years has celiac disease and I have seen what he has to go through.

Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone and will look for my information elsewhere from now on!

TripleB

You are definitely describing Celiac symptoms.  Why not get tested and see if that is your issue?  That will tell you how careful you have to be and explain why you might not be a lot better after just 14 days?

Join eNewsletter

Hi TripleB,

There are lots of reasons people try the gluten-free diet these days.  Some of them because they have symptoms that might be helped, others because it is trendy or whatever.  Sometimes it works out that  the gluten-free diet is a big help to a person and they don't test positive on the antibodies.  They call that NCGS (non-celiac gluten sensitivity).

The things is, just because one person's body responds in 14 days, doesn't mean another person's body will respond the same way.  So going on a gluten-free diet trial before testing is not a great idea.  It is far better to go get the antibody tests done first.  The tests may not be accurate if you are gluten-free already.

It is very possible your tennis guy has a gluten related issue of some sort.  So it would make sense that his athletic performance improved after going gluten-free it that is true.  Most people don't have a gluten issue but about 1 out of 110 in the USA do have celiac disease.  The percentages vary by country.  There are also the people who have NCGS, which is less understood and probably more like 5 to 10% I think, but don't quote me on that.  So, yes, it is indeed possible you have a gluten issue, but please get the celiac disease antibody tests done first.   If you have a serious condition, it's better to know than to guess.  You'll have to live with it for life after all, so best to know.  I suggest if your testing doesn't show any positive antibodies, then you do a gluten-free diet trial for 3 to 6 months, and see if there is an improvement in your health.

Either way, you are welcome to post and ask questions on the forum.  There are many people who have gone gluten-free without a doctor's diagnosis.  It's better to try and get tested first is all.  Be aware that getting a doctor to test you may be difficult.  They can be stubborn about it.  Some people order the celiac panel tests through an online lab instead.

Not every doctor is up to date on celiac testing, so it helps to find a doctor recommendation from a local celiac support group.  Or you can check the doctors section of this forum.  Usually an gastrolenterologist is a good choice.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter