Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
EasterLily

Looking for Sugar Free and Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. Since starting the gluten free diet, I have suddenly become very sensitive to sugar. It makes me extremely nauseous. But I really enjoy pancakes and waffles, but the syrup   - which is gluten free - has been make me sick to my stomach, so I am assuming it's from the sugar. I have been trying to find a sugar free/gluten free syrup but I am finding the sugar free versions contain gluten. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't eat that much to begin with during healing because I seem to super sensitive to everything. Thanks in advance.

Try real maple syrup.  ?

Oh, the waffles and pancakes?  There might be additives (e.g. Xanthan Gum), etc. added to the gluten-free flours or the flour blend (e.g. Tapioca, potato) that you might be intolerant to.    These are processed foods.  Try sticking to a Whole Foods diet so you can identify intolerances during the early stages of healing.  

What to eat for breakfast?  Try dinner.  Sweet potato, rice, banana, chicken....whatever!  

Edited by cyclinglady

Try the brands Waldens Farms and Natures Hallow

Waldens makes a pancake syrup, blue berry, strawberry, Carmel, and chocolate syrups. Now they also make jams but I really dislike their jams.

https://www.waldenfarms.com/

Natures Hallow makes Honey, maple syrup, and jams really expensive but quite good they use xylitol in theirs now there is a introduction curve with xylitol to your body. First introduction can cause gas issues til you get used to it.

http://natureshollow.com/

Polmar Jam is great and so is Smuckers in the Sugar Free versions I use them all the time.

I know the pain of the sugar issues, I  have UC and can not have sugars  or carbs. BUT I  CRAVE THEM, these alternatives have helped. I also use a blend of monk fruit and eyerythritol or xylitol in alot of my foods or use Swirve Sweetener in my homemade icecreams.

23 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Try real maple syrup.  ?

Oh, the waffles and pancakes?  There might be additives (e.g. Xanthan Gum), etc. added to the gluten-free flours or the flour blend (e.g. Tapioca, potato) that you might be intolerant to.    These are processed foods.  Try sticking to a Whole Foods diet so you can identify intolerances during the early stages of healing.  

What to eat for breakfast?  Try dinner.  Sweet potato, rice, banana, chicken....whatever!  

Thanks for the information. I didn't think about additives. I suspected the syrup because when I eat sugary snacks like candy, ice cream, ect.. I get very nauseous which has never happened before. Eating any type of "meal" right now is difficult because the nausea and bloating are so bad I can only eat a little at a time. Withdrawal has begun, so I'm a bit more nauseous and bloated, I have diarrhea something fierce and I am lightheaded, dizzy yet starving. :(

The enzymes to digest lactose (milk sugar) is released from the villi tips.  If you have intestinal damage, you may be lactose intolerant (hopefully, it is just temporary).  So, consider skipping the ice cream.  Choose lactose free versions instead or dairy that contains the least lactose, like hard cheeses or yogurt.  

Also, a damaged gut can respond to well-cooked foods.  Think stews and soups until you see improvement.