Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Scott Adams

News: Celiac.com: Fix your 'sugar belly' and return wheat to your diet

Rate this topic

I don't mean to downplay the devastation of celiac disease, an autoimmune ... but, the push for gluten-free products and diets has gotten out of hand.

View the full article

Good article addressing sugar and constant snacking as the huge health culprit in America not gluten/wheat. But please address the name of this thread, it is in fact a put down just reading the title, >.> makes me feel like it is my fault I got a genetic disease. 

Few things I noticed in the article it was talking about wheat preventing dementia etc. that is attributed to the b-vitamins and nutrients in the wheat which many of us with celiac disease find we need to supplement with using either nutritional yeast, fortified alternatives, or supplements like I use the liquid heath brands ones in beverages daily.

Also mentioned fiber and helping to regulate blood sugar, these issues can be addressed by eating more whole seeds, nuts, and leafy veggies, also a better source then wheat.

Third point mentioned here is the sugar, now on a processed gluten free diet your much worse off, the starches, and sugars they use to substitute in the cheaper foods makes the gluten-free option much worse for your health and blood sugar then the full on gluten versions. For these reasons like anything you need to read ingredients and make smart choices finding a good balance of fibers and sugars in foods and avoid over doing it on starches. I myself turned to nut based no starch bread like my own flat bread recipes, nut based baked goods, and Julian Bakery Breads.

Of course celiacs, and most with gluten sensitivity can't and should not return wheat to their diets.

Interesting take. The advice to stop inflaming our bodies by consuming so much processed food is great. Is there more Celiac than before? This writer seems to think so. I really don't know. I used to smoke. When I did, I did not have celiac disease, that I know of. Smoking is immuno-suppressive. Is quitting smoking a trigger for celiac disease? Seems not unreasonable to ask / speculate. As well, is large scale smoking cessation partially responsible for the rise in diabesity (a term, by the way, that that author did not make up!)?

Plumbago

2 minutes ago, plumbago said:

Interesting take. The advice to stop inflaming our bodies by consuming so much processed food is great. Is there more Celiac than before? This writer seems to think so. I really don't know. I used to smoke. When I did, I did not have celiac disease, that I know of. Smoking is immuno-suppressive. Is quitting smoking a trigger for celiac disease? Seems not unreasonable to ask / speculate. As well, is large scale smoking cessation partially responsible for the rise in diabesity (a term, by the way, that that author did not make up!)?

Plumbago

Funny topic, it was suggested I use a nicotine patch or e-cig to get doses of nicotine to reduce inflammation. There also was a thread awhile back about smoking helping some people with symptoms.