This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Lisa Mentor

Susan<

You mentioned Richard Pryer. When my hubby and I were dating, we listened to him all the time. Even 27 years later we still converse in "richardisms".......Miss Ruldoff, put a mojo on his butt :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JenAnderson Rookie
Susan<

You mentioned Richard Pryer. When my hubby and I were dating, we listened to him all the time. Even 27 years later we still converse in "richardisms".......Miss Ruldoff, put a mojo on his butt :lol:

I liked Eddie Murphy...I think it was called Raw or something like that.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Oh no Celia! :o

Sheeesh...havent you gone through enough already? I hope it doesnt have any affect on you guys and I hope its not as scary as that last one was. :(

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Cor,an I fort I 'ad rite toned it down mate!! :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Susan<

:lol::lol::lol: it was crazy, wasn't it?

rinne Apprentice

Cecile, you are in my prayers.

Thanks to Karen and Lynne I will never look at an Altoid the same way again. :lol::ph34r::lol:

Penguin, sorry about the wait, I'm not patient when it comes to being a patient either. :( Once when I was relocating my doctor told me that she thought I would have a hard time finding a doctor. When I asked her why, she said, "well, you seem to want a lot of control over your body". :lol::lol::lol: No spinach.

As for spinach and the upcoming T-shirt craze, thank you Cecile, it was your brilliance that led all of us to this relevation, truly you are our Lady of Spinach :lol::lol::lol:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Hi everyone!

Well, we have tropical storm Chris on it's way, it's heading tward Puerto Rico now and will be going to the Virgin Isands in about 3 days, at this time it's expected to be a hurricane... good googly moogly here we go again.... :blink:

Right now it's 60 mph and is gaining strength.

CECILE - - get on a plane and come to California, :) we are having the most wonderful cooling spell! Will be praying for you back there...that is heinous... :o

Ugh. Wasn't finished with sewing. I am now finished but I think I'm in post-traumatic stress and could use a stiff drink. Ruined two whole days with that project. :angry: ugh.

my mind is blank, this is what sewing does to a person, and it was such a debacle that I am....without words. how can this be? :blink::lol:

Love the southernisms. I want some creamed corn but I want Lisa to shuck and make it for me.

Rachel - you can still sign up for the Stanford thing....I think Donna posted a link....

I feel stoned. This is weird. No nuggets today, nothing bad at all....

But my NIECE Moved to town YESTERDAY from Las Vegas and I am excited.....off to see her now! :rolleyes:

toddle- oo everybody - - quiet day in R-ville - we need something to happen....somebody do something.....

<cutsy> well thank you madam! :D

Yes, she simply and innocently went to bed wtih a box of spinach on her tummy - and who wouldn't? ;) - and now we have entirely new vocabulary.....

ha ha ha ha :lol:

Lisa Mentor
CECILE - - get on a plane and come to California, :) we are having the most wonderful cooling spell! Will be praying for you back there...that is heinous... :o

Ugh. Wasn't finished with sewing. I am now finished but I think I'm in post-traumatic stress and could use a stiff drink. Ruined two whole days with that project. :angry: ugh.

my mind is blank, this is what sewing does to a person, and it was such a debacle that I am....without words. how can this be? :blink::lol:

Love the southernisms. I want some creamed corn but I want Lisa to shuck and make it for me.

Rachel - you can still sign up for the Stanford thing....I think Donna posted a link....

I feel stoned. This is weird. No nuggets today, nothing bad at all....

But my NIECE Moved to town YESTERDAY from Las Vegas and I am excited.....off to see her now! :rolleyes:

toddle- oo everybody - - quiet day in R-ville - we need something to happen....somebody do something.....

Yes, she simply and innocently went to bed wtih a box of spinach on her tummy - and who wouldn't? ;) - and now we have entirely new vocabulary.....

ha ha ha ha :lol:

Sorry babe, if you want some creamed corn, you're on you own. If I see another corn on the cob, IT THINK THAT I WILL THROW UP :o It took all darn day. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

I still don't know the official definition of "spinach"

At this point it seems to be just about anything

Lisa Mentor

As far as I am concerned or informed, it's the primary symptom of Celiac. But, I'm not as quick as others, but it has adapted well to my use. :) And use it every opportunity appropriate.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

LOL...it does doesn't it?? I'm confused about the true meaning of "spinach" myself. :unsure:

Anyone??

As far as I am concerned or informed, it's the primary symptom of Celiac. But, I'm not as quick as others, but it has adapted well to my use. :) And use it every opportunity appropriate.

It didn't start out that way....at least I dont think it did. :unsure:

Its meaning seems to have evolved into...well, just about anything you want! :lol:

Dunno what to make of it and actually I'm feeling rather "spinached" right now so gonna sign off for awhile. You figure it out. ;):P

JenAnderson Rookie

Maybe it's a replacement for cuss words. Kind of like the word "Smurf". As in..."My Mom was a real spinach at Thanksgiving last year."

DingoGirl Enthusiast

wellll, technically, we started out by saying something about laughing so hard we spinached our pants...I can't trace the actual etymoligical (sp?) origins of our new word....but our dingbat Cecile had it all over her bed, there may have been some mention (probably by yours truly :ph34r: ) of the fact that it was a good thing it was only SPINACH, and, um, not something else ("I spinached the bed")....I don't know....it's all hazy now as my brain seems to have turned to.....SPINACH.... :lol::lol::lol: and in that instance I mean MUSH.....

Maybe it's a replacement for cuss words. Kind of like the word "Smurf". As in..."My Mom was a real spinach at Thanksgiving last year."

maybe ;) and please note that it can either be a noun - "you are such a little spinach" or a verb (I laughed so hard I spinached my pants..."

CarlaB Enthusiast

I thought it was a replacement for the sh-- word since that's what it looked like in the bed. It would take some research to go through this book though to find it!

Camille'sBigSister Newbie
Don't post here in Rachelville too often, but sure love the laughs. Wanted to add a Southern-ism. My uncle, born in Georgia, lives in N. Carolina, would always say, "Come here an' gimme sum suga' " in his really cool accent. I didn't see him much growing up, but still remember that voice. I talk to him on the phone once in a while and he still calls me "sugar".

And, by the way, is everyone remembering to "tighten, release, tighten, release..." as they sit at their computer?

Sugar is what we call people we like, and it's also kisses. If you're lovin on a baby, you would say, "Gimme some sugar" or "I've got all your sugar." :)

Tighten, release, tighten, release? No thank you. I tried that a few years ago, and I couldn't pee for hours! :P

Slow day in R'ville. But here - phew! 97 degrees, and I went out in it. :(

Going to bed now. Night all.

Cissie

rinne Apprentice

It does seem to be a replacement for the **** word but I think it is much more than that. It resonates with: the desperation we all feel when we are in pain and we need to sleep and we will try anything, sure I'll curl up with frozen spinach; the shock of something wet and slimy and we DON'T know what it is; the laughter that arises from somewhere between the rock and the hard place that is too often home for us these days, and rises in spite of the pain and grief. The more I think about it the more I think "spinach" defines our celebration of life.

I could have added lots of smilies but I'll just add "heart".

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I thought it was a replacement for the sh-- word since that's what it looked like in the bed. It would take some research to go through this book though to find it!

:lol:

I dont know if "researching" it would even help. I've been here since page one and I have no freakin clue what the original meaning of "spinach" was. :huh: It just kind of happened...."SPINACH HAPPENS". :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast
If you're lovin on a baby, you would say, "Gimme some sugar" or "I've got all your sugar." :)

I didn't realize this was from my southern heritage! Do northerners say this, too? I really don't know since all my family who taught it to me was from the south.

Makes me want to kiss a baby!! :wub:

CarlaB Enthusiast
It does seem to be a replacement for the **** word but I think it is much more than that. It resonates with: the desperation we all feel when we are in pain and we need to sleep and we will try anything, sure I'll curl up with frozen spinach; the shock of something wet and slimy and we DON'T know what it is; the laughter that arises from somewhere between the rock and the hard place that is too often home for us these days, and rises in spite of the pain and grief. The more I think about it the more I think "spinach" defines our celebration of life.

This sounds so poetic. :rolleyes:

miamia Rookie
Thanks Rachel... we'll see what happens, at least I have my food this time! It's the anticipation that gets hard to deal with.

No worries tho... I think :huh:

where in Florida are you again?

miamia

AndreaB Contributor

Hi all! :D

Just wanted to check in....I've been reading, just not posting.

Seth had oatmeal for the first time today. We'll see how that goes.

Cecile,

Hope this storm heads in a different direction. Keep us posted as you can.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Rinne - very well said and gave it more.....dignity. :)

Gimme some sugar - - v. southern, no one says it here and if they did, it would probably be called harassment...too bad.

YOu know, I was thinking about all of these wonderful traditions you all have, you in other parts of the country (not the West), shucking the corn, stewing/canning tomatoes, and other things that were mentioned....I really never saw anyone do those things in CAlifornia, except maybe our across-the-street neighbors while growing up, and they were from Mississippi. I don't know, here in the Land of Fruits and Nuts, maybe because produce is plentiful year-round, we never did those things. I think it's sad.....because those traditions, tedious as they are (Robbin - don't vomit at the sight of an ear of corn!), allow you to reap thebenefits and rewards during the long cold winters. I am jealous....my mom made jams and jellies and has canned some peaches, but that's about it. I am jealous of you guys that had farm chores and the aforementioned food chores - it builds character and teaches important lessons early in life. DAng, a whole day of ear-shucking and all of it.....very taxing but YOU will be eating your delicious creamed corn in the winter, and I will not! :angry:

Lisa Mentor
Rinne - very well said and gave it more.....dignity. :)

Gimme some sugar - - v. southern, no one says it here and if they did, it would probably be called harassment...too bad.

YOu know, I was thinking about all of these wonderful traditions you all have, you in other parts of the country (not the West), shucking the corn, stewing/canning tomatoes, and other things that were mentioned....I really never saw anyone do those things in CAlifornia, except maybe our across-the-street neighbors while growing up, and they were from Mississippi. I don't know, here in the Land of Fruits and Nuts, maybe because produce is plentiful year-round, we never did those things. I think it's sad.....because those traditions, tedious as they are (Robbin - don't vomit at the sight of an ear of corn!), allow you to reap thebenefits and rewards during the long cold winters. I am jealous....my mom made jams and jellies and has canned some peaches, but that's about it. I am jealous of you guys that had farm chores and the aforementioned food chores - it builds character and teaches important lessons early in life. DAng, a whole day of ear-shucking and all of it.....very taxing but YOU will be eating your delicious creamed corn in the winter, and I will not! :angry:

Robbin, I hope you don't throw up at the site of corn on the cob.. :lol: I'm the guilty party. Please don't thow up on account of me. :lol::lol::lol:

evie Rookie

rinne...you just have a 'way with words', just put them together so well!! Hope you are feeling better by now!! I have been enjoying the southern phrases by several people, so many of them are familiar to me. Spose that is because I am from Southrn Iowa?? I have been told I have a southern drawl ( not quite you all). It is just great that Megan can go home tonight, they will all rest better at home. God is GOOD.

Good evening, evie :):D:) My maternal granparents were from Ohio and Paternal gr. parents from Pennsylvania...not sure where they stopped in between.

Lisa Mentor
rinne...you just have a 'way with words', just put them together so well!! Hope you are feeling better by now!! I have been enjoying the southern phrases by several people, so many of them are familiar to me. Spose that is because I am from Southrn Iowa?? I have been told I have a southern drawl ( not quite you all). It is just great that Megan can go home tonight, they will all rest better at home. God is GOOD.

Good evening, evie :):D:) My maternal granparents were from Ohio and Paternal gr. parents from Pennsylvania...not sure where they stopped in between.

spose: defined or refined :) : "I suppose"

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Rinne,

I've said it before...and I'll say it again! You NEED to be a writer!! You are so good with words...always sounds like poetry and just captivates me. Did you say you've done some writing....I think you might have. Please refresh my memory. :)

Archived