This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti.... I have to go out to eat tomorrow with DH's parents.... the new Ruby Tuesday's here... I am totally dreading it... I know I'm going to get sick... :( and I can't bow out, they would get their feelings hurt.

Oh gosh--that's a tough one. Just be firm with the waiter and manager about your needs. Maybe eat something before you go and then order something small and simple.

I've not been to Ruby Tuesdays since the dx, but I have eaten successfully at Fridays. I spoke to the manager, and asked them to make my plain steak (no seasonings) on a cleaned part of the grill. I got steamed broccoli to go with it and had club soda with lime to drink. Not the tastiest meal, but I did not get sick--and I'm hyper sensitive.

Oh, and make sure that any meat you order has not been pre seasoned or marinated. Chicken often is--steak is a better bet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Andrea--Good that MItch will have the fissure taken care of. Hope it will not be too hard on him. It'll be nice to have him around the house--

Hey Susan--The dingos had quite the day for themselves! I guess you, Andrea, Celia and I will be holding down the fort tonight :D

We'll keep a candle on for Rachel :)

AndreaB Contributor

I'm staying on here...but I'm going to eat din-din. I'm also still trying to work on the school schedule, got most of it done. Just realized I forgot some books. I had actually had them but can't find them so I ordered them. I also need to let Mitch in once in awhile. :P

AndreaB Contributor

I'm back and you're getting ready to leave Cecile. :(

AndreaB Contributor

Ya, I'm volunteering to homeschool my kids. :P

Seriously though, I don't have time with three youngins.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I want to do something good and something that will last and something that will help others.... what do you guys do? Do any of you volunteer for anything?

Oh Lord....this is something I ponder night and day and night and day......God has GOT to use the experiences of my past to let me reach a hand into the dark forest others find themselves in, and let them know there's a way out....but I'm intimidated and feel....unskilled. I do not know what to do to be of use. sometimes I feel like an overzealous crusader (constantly editing posts in which I feel I've come on too strong) for mental health issues.....zoigs.....

what is that "most haunted" show Cecile - - - what channel, I am not allowed to have all the channels since the TV would be on all ngiht and nothign would get done.... I LOVE to be scared and it is very rare for me to find something scary...here's my very short list of the only movies I can think of, that actually scared me:

Alien 1 and 2

The Shining (book was WAY scarier)

The Omen (the original)

The Exorcist - OMG still can't watch it

Hide and Seek - a newer one with DeNiro - that did scare me very much in the last half hour

And THAT"S IT except ONE particular X-Files episode during which I had to turn on all the lights AND lock the doors AND turn on the home alarm...it was called "Home" and it was these inbreds that kept their limb-less mother under the bed..............dear GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD it still scares me and many I know.....

tell me some more scary movies, LOVE to watch them alone and try and see if I can get scared.... :lol:

my friends want to come over and play MONOPOLY tonight - - so boring - - I told them they could play while I paint the walls...they'll be getting drunk, too....yikes, that could be painful....

:)

AndreaB Contributor
Oh Lord....this is something I ponder night and day and night and day......God has GOT to use the experiences of my past to let me reach a hand into the dark forest others find themselves in in, and let them know there's a way out....but I'm intimidated and feel....unskilled. I do not know what to do to be of use. sometimes I feel like an overzealous crusader (constantly editing posts in which I feel I've come on too strong) for mental health issues.....zoigs.....

my friends want to come over and play MONOPOLY tonight - - so boring - - I told them they could play while I paint the walls...they'll be getting drunk, too....yikes, that could be painful....

:)

If you're willing and listening, God will put you where he wants you to be, when you're needed for somebody else.

Doesn't sound like a good situation with your friends. Can you get out of that one?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I've been thinking about much the same thing, Celia, since I've begun to feel better.

I always volunteered at my sons' schools while they were growing up. Usually in the media center.

I loved my job at the high school, so I don't know if I'll go back to something like that, or maybe volunteer--something with older kids, maybe?

My mother in law (age 86) volunteers at her church's food pantry. She was telling me all about it when we visited up there last month--it sounded like such a worthwhile thing to do.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've never heard of those scary shows, Celia.

Susan--sounds like an interesting evening at you house--painting (don't mention that word to me :lol: ), Monopoly and drinking. A lot more exciting than my house <_<

Celia--You'd be fabulous at anything that you tried!

AndreaB Contributor

Cecile,

You are a sweet, caring person and I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from your spunk and friendliness.

jerseyangel Proficient
I don't want to feel like it's hard for me, I want to also have fun with it... does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense to me. When the right opportunity comes along, you'll know it. ;)

penguin Community Regular

I have a girl scout troop....but with me going to school in Jan, I don't know what'll happen :unsure:

I'll work something out!!! I have to!!!! :lol:

Scouting of any kind is always fun, then there are your head starts, blood banks, food banks, hospices, services for the blind & deaf, tutoring...the possibilies are endless :)

Yeah... I've thought about those... but nobody will take my blood... LOL... anemic and too skinny...

WAIT.... Hospice, I never thought of that... I would love to help one move into the spirit world, I am not afraid of that because I feel those that have passed always with me.

Don't freak out anyone... I am sane... well relatively sane :lol:

I hope to one day volunteer for hospice, I'm just not ready yet :)

I'm still a bit green in the gills to be able to do that

I took a whole class on death and dying taught by a hospice social worker...it was fascinating...

Dieing is as natural to me as being born.... not that I want to die anytime soon :lol: ...but I would love to calm the fears of those who are slipping there... I think I'm going to do that... wow... Chelsea... thanks!!

Glad I could help :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I have to address this again... Susan...you of all people are NOT unskilled... you have lived and bloomed through your trials and tribulations.... you never come on too strong in your posts, you are always just perfect!

Cecile are you smoking the crack or something....wait, you haven't ventured out of R-ville for a while...I just edited an overzealous post yesterday becasue I re-read it and it was ridiculous - way too perky and too many suggestions for someone in depression.....oh, and when I FIRST joined this forum? Freaking Eeyore.....always said, always depressed, those are some bad posts, my friend. I have offended more than one on this forum also.....

And you, Cecile - - you are always taking care of people - - much love and kindness and such a good heart. HOspice - I went through the whole training but was still so sick - - it is fantastic and YOU would be fantastic!

I want to volunteer in an area where I build relationships with people. And not just boring office work, somethign really fun and meaningful. Went to Habitat for Humanity three times, to help build, but there were way too many people and nothing for most of us to do, so we left. I am interested in a mentor-type thing possibly, but again, there comes that devil on my shoulder....how could YOU be a mentor...

Andrea - - I don't mind if they come and drink, they actually don't get drunk at all. I think I can handle it....

Patti - - good for you - work with young people again! But definitely something fun....

Chels - - very good your're working wtih Scouts - I shall never try to run a group of any kind again (taught art for three summers and it sucked the life out of me).....

Avoiding painting. You know, whenever I am involved in a big project I loathe, I check this board constantly. YOu can always tell the days I have the MOST to do and HATE what I"m doing (unlike Patti, miss disciplined whose room is FINISHED), I post all day long............ :huh::lol::blink::blink:

WHERE IS RACHEL.....I can't TAKE it any more.....do I have to call ALL the freaking safeways around her area? Will she th ink I'm a stalker? :o:lol::lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

Night, Ladies--I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open! :ph34r:

Talk to y'all tomorrow :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Susan the stalker :lol::lol: how long do you think it would take you to call all the Safeways asking for a girl in a visor??? LMAO :lol:

Oh I just love you Cecile......

um, do you think she wears that visor to work? :lol::lol::lol: said she was figuring out different hair styles - some days curly, some straight.....how will I find her with these descriptions? :lol::lol:

(dear God Rachel, in case you read this, I am kidding :blink: )

NIght Patti! Have a great, restful sleep.

AndreaB Contributor

Susan,

Do you know the general area she works in? That's been my problem. What all does the bay area cover. Must be hundreds of Safeway's.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Susan,

Do you know the general area she works in? That's been my problem. What all does the bay area cover. Must be hundreds of Safeway's.

MAAAAAAAANY pages back, I THOUGHT she posted that she lives in Manteca, works in SF? is this right? So it would be a safeway in SF, if this is the case, and there can't be that many. I am SO not sure of these facts though....

HI MANGO!! what have you found for us???? :)

AndreaB Contributor

The problem is that San Fran is divided into districts. Looking online there are hundreds of safeways. I thought she worked in the San Fran area, Donna had mentioned something about restaurants that were talked about pages back. I forget what she called it. I'll be back.

OK, She shops at Whole Foods in Sherman Creek so Donna figured she worked near there. Any idea where Sherman Creek is.

Guest Robbin

:blink: ONE DAY I MISS AND I AM SOOO LOST IN R'VILLE!! Wow, where is Rachel?! Has anyone found her yet, and is Donna ok, too?

Picard-What kind of dr. are you going to ? I am sorry if I missed that -I think they are playing "Jack up the bill and run as many tests as possible" with you. If you have damaged villi, shouldn't that be a clear indication of celiac and shouldn't you be gluten free regardless? Maybe I am missing a huge chunk of info here (with the brain fog I have been battling, it would not be a big surprise) Is there another intolerance that causes the same blunting of villi as celiac?

Celia--I have the same desires -to make a difference in this world. Since I have had glimpses of what it feels like to "feel good" I want more and more of the good days so I can help someone else. My current "mission" is to be a great neighbor and help my friends who live on either side of me and behind me. We have such a great little community going, and it is really something that makes me feel good to help them out. They think when I feed their cats, or water their flowers that I am helping them so much, but it is a JOY for me to feel needed and to be able to help. Dh and Ds are so into their own worlds sometimes that I feel very lost when I don't have someone to feed, clothe, or whatever. I think that is why I have 3 pets and waaaaay too many plants. I have been seriously thinking of volunteering at the hospice gift shop a couple of days a week. I want to go back to work to help my oldest son since he is going back to college Yay!!.

Speaking of which--penguin!!!! Yippppeeeee!! Culinary school! I am so happy for you!!! I have taken cooking classes and pastry classes--I understand why you want to and you deserve to. I don't see why you cannot do it. The worst thing in life is to have the IFIDAS --Twenty or thirty years from now-"IF IDA ONLY GONE TO CULINARY SCHOOL WHEN I WAS 22......" See, think about that and don't let anyone sway you from your dreams. I let too many people talk me out of my dreams at your age. I have a friend who sends me jokes, etc. and one that stuck in my mind was-"If you can't be a role model for someone then become a horrible warning!" (I think I changed it some, but it was something like that!) I am warning you!! :D Susan, Please pm me--I do not "get" mothergoose's post??! I must be braindead, not brain-fogged tonight.

Patti-You finished your remodeling already?! Wow, it seems like you just started. You have a handy hubby, though, don't you?

Cissie, How are you? I recall your sister was very ill and I am wondering how she is doing.

rinne--are you working on any writing projects? I have a couple of friends who write, but I think your writing has, by far, the most "voice". Do you know what I mean? I dabble in poetry, but you need to write BOOKS my dear. I will be a faithful reader/fan and await your latest NY Times bestseller.

Mia-New York is a world unto itself. I can understand why you love it so much if you have lived there for a long time. Home is home :) . I couldn't breathe in NY. Just the opposite of Jennifer :blink: . I love the culture and pulse of it all, though. Take care all and someone please find our little lost scrap-booking, researching, auxigro-hating, sun-loving president!!!

Mango04 Enthusiast
HI MANGO!! what have you found for us???? :)

Hi! Well I haven't found any men or koalas yet. Okay, that's a lie, there's plenty of men, but just none gluten-free enough for R'ville. Still searching.... :lol:

I think Rachel might shop at the Whole Foods in Walnut Creek? That's in the East Bay. I've never heard of Sherman Creek in the bay area, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. She's really gonna laugh when she reads all this... :rolleyes:

Guest Robbin
Hi! Well I haven't found any men or koalas yet. Okay, that's a lie, there's plenty of men, but just none gluten-free enough for R'ville. Still searching.... :lol:

Mango, I have met 2 Aussie men in my life and they both oooozed testosterone ;) Just like the ones you see on tv and in the movies--what IS it about the men down there that makes them so yummy? (yes, I am married, but am not dead :blink: can still look can't I? )

Nikki -What did you call Australia? OZ? Why is that? I loved your cockney btw a few pages (chapters) back. I hope your poor hubby feels better. I think he must be a really great guy to care about little Megan too :)

RAYYYYYCHUUUULLLLLLL!!!!!! where in the 'tar nation are ya?! :):):)

Hi evie---How is our resident catwoman doing? I hope you are feeling better, too!

Mango04 Enthusiast
Mango/Meredith-great news that eating G.F is easy in Oz.Where abouts are you?.Makes me more determined to save up and get out there to visit family in Brisbane. :)

Apologies to all those Rachelvillians I missed !

:):):)

I'm in Sydney. Bondi Beach at the moment... If I weren't soy and dairy-free I don't think I'd even have to think twice about eating here. I'm not sure what it's like in the UK, but I'm finding it much easier to find healthy food in this country. Well, that's how it seems now anyway. We'll see how it is when I start travelling more B) It is FREEZING here though, compared to what I think it should be in August :lol:. It's supposed to warm up soon though....

AndreaB Contributor
I think Rachel might shop at the Whole Foods in Walnut Creek? That's in the East Bay. I've never heard of Sherman Creek in the bay area, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. She's really gonna laugh when she reads all this... :rolleyes:

Thanks Meredith. I'll start searching Walnut Creek Safeways on Monday if we don't hear from her this weekend. I hope we hear from her. If she had been going out of town for awhile you think she would have let us know so we wouldn't worry. Didn't she say she has vacation again in August or was it September? I do hope she is ok. I wouldn't have a clue how to find her mom either.

Archived