This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Guest Robbin

Andrea, I thought her vacation was over? Maybe I am mistaken. Maybe she is out with the new guy ;) . Today I went to the stores with Ds and got clothes, shoes and school supplies and thought of how much easier it was when his brother was homeschooled and then thought of you. What is the curriculum you use? When Nick (Ds -1) was in first and second grade, I homeschooled him and used Abecka (not sure the spelling it has been sooo long) books. My friend in Ohio uses an online school for her teen.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor

Robbin,

I'm using Rod & Staff. It's a mennonite based curriculum which leaves God in the picture. That is the primary reason we choose it. There are other Adventists that use Rod & Staff and/or Abeka. It is an advanced curriculum with 10 grade being equivalent to 12 grade in public schools. We'll still have to figure out what to do for the last year or two, but I'll deal with that later.

Rachel had vacation in July but had another week coming up in August or September. I thought she had mentioned August though since she had said she wanted to be well for the next vacation in a month (I think that's what she said anyway).

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Mango, I have met 2 Aussie men in my life and they both oooozed testosterone ;) Just like the ones you see on tv and in the movies--what IS it about the men down there that makes them so yummy?

Hi Robbin! Nice to see you.....um, maybe the men are OOOOOOOOOOOZING testosterone as the whole of down under was founded by convicts (not counting the aboriginals) - - they've got the swagger and testosterone and rebellion bred in them.....I have heard they are bad mates, who knows. Can't judge a whole country....we'll still take 'em in R-ville, and we'll make them perfect (like Stepford husbands)....

Andrea - good work! Yes, you are actually "volunteering" in being full-time wife and mother PLUS home-schooling your kids...holy cow!

WHAT is this about Cissie's sister being ill? did I miss something???

My friends are still looking at apartments and I am dirty and sweaty, painting my third wall.....yay! And I get to drip paint all over the carpet since that it my DROP CLOTH.....

Mango - - nice to hear from you! You are in winter down there, aren't you?

HI everybody else - - back to painting...

p.s. OF COURSE Rachel would tell us if she was leaving, wouldn't she? no, she's not on vacation....do you think she's just trying to torture us, to see how we will fare without her? to see if we might devolve into.....Lord of the Flies or something, in her absence?? ;):lol:

AndreaB Contributor

I know, I know......she's testing my resolve to not be on here so long. :lol: Hasn't happened today since I'm so worried about her. :(:unsure:

AndreaB Contributor

OK, I pm'd her mom. She hasn't been on since June but hopefully her email hasn't changed and she'll get the notification of a pm. You can't turn off pm notifications can you?

AndreaB Contributor

Wouldn't do us much good if she was hurt. :(

But she'd know she was loved.

Guest Robbin
p.s. OF COURSE Rachel would tell us if she was leaving, wouldn't she? no, she's not on vacation....do you think she's just trying to torture us, to see how we will fare without her? to see if we might devolve into.....Lord of the Flies or something, in her absence?? ;):lol:

lol :D:D LORD OF THE FLIES!! YOU ARE TOO FUNNY!!! I am interested to find out how the concrete staining goes on the floors. I've seen that done on the tv home shows and it looks so fabulous how they can do so many things with concrete. I love the way they are using it on counters now too. Looks kinda like slate.

Hey, that makes sense -convict genes-. How do you explain the over-all good -looking part? Maybe the water.

Andrea, I am all for what you are doing. I don't know what would have happened to Nick had I not homeschooled him. I don't think I could homeschool Zack, though. He thrives on the atmosphere at school. Loves to be contantly challenged by his classmates. He has a "nemesis" who is in competition with him academically and they good-naturedly compete with each other on tests and with the grades, although "The Z" is becoming too much of a ladies' man this summer. :) I hope THAT subject doesn't compete too much .

Dingo-girlfriend--Why on earth do your friends want to play monotony-I mean, monopoly?! How boring is that game? They should play something like scrabble or trivia games. You can learn and play at the same time. I am for educational games at any age :) !

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular
LOL...yeah, my gluteus maximus hurts. :lol:

The only pizza I've seen frozen is Amy's. I think it must be new. :unsure:

Susan, Donna...are you both registered for Stanford? Is it too late? Is there a cutoff? Are you guys going for sure? I'm assuming there will be lots of food...which sucks for me cuz I cant eat it but what else goes on there? Need more info puleeeze. I want to go. :D

Just looking back at her previous posts...... Could she possibly be here? :unsure:

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAACHELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, where are you?????

Hugs.

Karen

DingoGirl Enthusiast
HA... I was thinking about something serious to post and then here comes Susan... :lol::lol:

Friday night, no serious posts!

AndreaB Contributor
Andrea, I am all for what you are doing. I don't know what would have happened to Nick had I not homeschooled him. I don't think I could homeschool Zack, though. He thrives on the atmosphere at school. Loves to be contantly challenged by his classmates. He has a "nemesis" who is in competition with him academically and they good-naturedly compete with each other on tests and with the grades, although "The Z" is becoming too much of a ladies' man this summer. :) I hope THAT subject doesn't compete too much .

Dingo-girlfriend--Why on earth do your friends want to play monotony-I mean, monopoly?! How boring is that game? They should play something like scrabble or trivia games. You can learn and play at the same time. I am for educational games at any age :) !

That's good that he can have a friendly competition with his friend.

I used to like to play Triopoly which was a three tiered monopoly game. Much more fun than the original.

CarlaB Enthusiast

You know, tomorrow Rachel will be online and say she can't believe anyone was worried, she was busy, felt great, and spent the whole day having a great time! :D

The volunteering questions are interesting, interesting to see what different people are drawn to anyway. I've worked with youth group for years while homeschooling. Just seemed to fit in with our family life. Now that my kids are a little older and I no longer home school, I coordinate youth programs in Ohio, KY, and IN. It's not as hands on as it used to be, but it's time to teach others what I've learned over the years. It's been fun and rewarding.

It takes a special kind of person to work with the dying. Even though I view death as a continuation of life, I would have a hard time with that. Especially with the families people were leaving behind. I don't think I'm gentle enough for it.

Congrats on culinary school Chelsea. Sounds great. Don't neglect Adam, though!! He gets all your spare time now!! ;)

rinne Apprentice

We'll have to have t-shirts made up that say, "RACHEL of RACHELVILLE CALL HOME" and send them to all our friends in the Bay Area. :)

I want to do something good and something that will last and something that will help others.... what do you guys do? Do any of you volunteer for anything?

Cecile, I can feel your wonderful spirit all the way up here. :) You do good just being you.

I think one of the most helpful things we can do is practice friendliness, as the Dalai Lama said, "kindness is my only religion". In our world today this is often under-rated and yet it is precisely this that so often makes the difference between a happy moment and a sad or angry moment and one moment piled on another makes up our lives.

It is an important question for me also and throughout my life has manifested in different ways. Sometimes I practice with it as 'how do I become the person I would wish to meet in the world'? Right now I know that the only thing I can do is try and get well but in the future I would like to work with people as they are dying. The deaths that I have been a part of I found wrenching but at the same time beautiful.

Robbin, :ph34r: I'm overwhelmed.

Mango, so glad that you are checking in.

Hello to everyone else, Andrea I'm glad to see you posting. How are you doing Evie? And Cissie? And I wonder how the wedding week-end is going Lynne.

Cecile, my weight seems to have stablized, in fact I'm up a couple of pounds but I am also feeling bloated so I don't think it is real weight. I'm feeling worn down by stomach aches and back pain, yesterday was my food co-op day and I just wasn't up for it, usually I really look forward to it, anyways just as I was going to leave I got very nauseous and threw up and spent several hours curled up alternating between being chilled and sweating. I couldn't really figure out why although I will admit broccoli for breakfast might seem like something someone would throw up :lol: I eat weird things like that all the time. The only other things I had were liquid vitamins and ginger tea.

I talked to Dr.Yan about it today and he said it is better if your body will throw up something that is not agreeing with it and feels it is a good sign that my body is protecting itself. He said sometimes people get so sick that although their bodies want to throw up they don't have the strength to and so the toxins are absorbed into the body. The broccoli was organic and generally I haven't had a problem with it but then I wondered about the auxi-gro.

Today has been a better day.

I'm feeling like there is other stuff going on besides the Celiac and the Ankylosing Spondylitis, as if that wasn't enough. :(

rinne Apprentice
OK, I pm'd her mom. She hasn't been on since June but hopefully her email hasn't changed and she'll get the notification of a pm. You can't turn off pm notifications can you?

Andrea, I am in awe, I remembered Rachel's mom posting but couldn't locate it. :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Robbin - Monopoly - that's exactly what I said - but they are youngsters, in their late twenties, and I said, Oh, I see, you're trying to bring back happy childhood memories...well, I played it last summer with a little girl for three hours, thought I might die.....it is SO SO boring....besides, I am painting the walls, they can do what they want (I rescheduled, in fact, as am pretty involved, AS YOU CAN SEE BY MY FREQUENT COMPUTER VISITS) :lol::lol::lol:

Robbin - I am so excited about removing the carpet....too expensive to put in hardwood, and didn't want tile....my best friend and I, on the same day but independently of one another, thought of it. It came to me inthe morming and I got quite excited, and then she called an hour later and suggested it....my mom approved (she owns the house) so the stain will be a deep mocha brown, with gloss, and area rugs. Should be dee-LISH and perfect for these mud-tracking dingos who have RUINED the carpet.... :huh:

Back to painting....

Andrea, how did you know Rachel's mother's on here? man, that is good...that's our chance, folks, or, in a couple of days, we'll have to post a notice on the forum (leave our precious thread) asking if anyone knows where she is and if they could contact her.....

nighty-night :)

Guest Robbin

:) 'Night all-Sweet dreams. I hope we all have a great weekend and feel wonderful in the morning.

(Ooops, just figured it out--mothergoose :) , ok, I am slow tonight)

Susan, I am so excited for you!! I hope you get some good pics and let us know how it turns out!! It sounds so yummy! Chocolate brown glossy -- :)

AndreaB Contributor

Andrea, how did you know Rachel's mother's on here? man, that is good...that's our chance, folks, or, in a couple of days, we'll have to post a notice on the forum (leave our precious thread) asking if anyone knows where she is and if they could contact her.....

/quote]

Her mother posted back in June. I was on this thread way back then so I just had to track the post down. I told you I've been on here way too much today. :P

DingoGirl Enthusiast
RACHEL.... PHONE....HOME :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Andrea - good work - - hope you hear something...

'night, all....much more painting to do tomorrow.....I took some before photos and am pretty excited!

Sleep well, friends. :)

elisabet Contributor

Rachel,

I wanted to ask you how is your hair now?

elisabet

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hi everyone!!!!!

I'm back in Rachelville!!! WOOHOO :D

My mom's computer had some technical difficulties the past couple days. I couldnt get online. :(

I had withdrawl and missed all my Rachelville buddies. I was coming home from work on my lunch break and it was soooo boring not being able to go to Rachelville. I actually took SHORT lunches for a change. The computer is still not fixed but at least I'm online.

I just got home from a fun night out and its almost 2 am so I'm too tired to catch up right now. My mom told me she came on here earlier and read the posts. She said you guys were wondering what happened to me. I'm ok...still doing well...got lots of new "science" to share. ;)

Had a doctors appt. today. More test results back...no ultrasound results yet. I'm getting 2 tests done for histamine levels....so that will be interesting to find out. I'll be back tomorrow when everyones awake. :)

I missed you guys!!!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I think Rachel might shop at the Whole Foods in Walnut Creek? That's in the East Bay. I've never heard of Sherman Creek in the bay area, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. She's really gonna laugh when she reads all this... :rolleyes:

ROFLMAO

OK...I'm still awake trying to catch up. You guys are soooo wrong!! :lol::lol:

So far I've lived and worked in all the wrong places!! LMAO.....this is hilarious.

OK...so Susan was right that I live in Manteca and Cissie was correct in saying that I stay at my mom's during the week...and...well....thats pretty much it. :lol: I have no idea where you guys got the rest of this stuff?? :huh::lol:

Cissie, you were so sweet for worrying about me and trying to find me..you too Andrea (and everyone else) :)

Seems like you two should be the official R-Ville sleuths! Good detective work!!! I dont know how either of you found anything in this book!

I feel bad for worrying everyone.. :(

I didnt have access to another computer so I figured if the computer stayed broken...I would post on the w/end when I got to Manteca.

You guys are the best though and I missed each and every one of you and thought about you guys alot. It was scary...Rachel was unable to get to Rachelville...her "safe place"....this is not suppossed to happen. :(

Susan...you missed my science lessons huh....just admit you did! :P

OMG...I'm laughing at all the craziness as usual.

Mango!! The koala mission is unsuccessful thus far? Shucks...well.....maybe just forget about the MEN (there are plenty of them around) and just focus more on the KOALAS!!

:lol::lol: J/K

Just wanted to get a rise outta Susan (who's counting on her sexy Aussie)! :P

I cracked up imagining one of you calling all the Safeway's....asking for the girl with the visor! :lol:

Funny thing is....you would have had a good chance of finding me (not in S.F. though)....someone eventually would have directed you to the right store with that description.

Except I've traded in my visor for my favorite red ball cap. :P

Oh....one more thing....Where the heck is SHERMAN CREEK??? :blink::unsure:

LMAO

I'm not in San Fran...or the East Bay....or Sherman Creek (wherever that is :rolleyes: )....I'm in the South Bay!!! :D

There really was an outtage of some kind (it affected the DSL connection) but I dont think it was related to that earthquake. I never felt a quake....it must have been a small one. First I heard of it was here in R-Ville.

I think I'm in the same general area as Donna

Premature posting...but I'm too tired to finish...my pillow is calling.

jerseyangel Proficient

Good morning everyone!!

I woke up early and came in first thing to see if Rachel turned up--and I'm happy to see that all is well in Rachelville!

I think I'll go back to bed for a while-- :D

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Good Morning Everyone one...you guys know I don't visit Rachel-ville very often to post, but i do come and 'lurk' :ph34r: SAW Jersey on in the early morning hrs. :blink::blink::o and knew yesterday Rachel was 'missing' and when 'Jersey get's concerned' =judy gets concerned as Jersey is 'laid back'.... :lol:

Soooo had to come and find out if Rachel was 'Alive and well'...Do you have a Sheriff in Rachel viille? and

:ph34r: NO I'M NOT GOING BACK INTO THIS THREAD OF 143 PAGES TO FIND OUT :ph34r:

jUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE MY 'SCIENCE' EXPERT WAS ALIVE AND WELL.

ANXIOUS TO READ YOUR NEW INFO RACHEL AND GOING BACK TO BED..GOOD IDEA JERSEY...

JUDY IN PHILLY

Camille'sBigSister Newbie

I've been on here since about 5:30, and just now caught up!

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!! Our President is back!!!!!

Cissie

jerseyangel Proficient

Judy--

You are too funny! What are you doing up so early?

You know you're welcome anytime here in Rachelville--drop by more often :D Although, catching up on the older posts will probably take till Labor Day :lol:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy--

You are too funny! What are you doing up so early?

You know you're welcome anytime here in Rachelville--drop by more often :D Although, catching up on the older posts will probably take till Labor Day :lol:

HA Caught YA>>>thought you were going back to bed :lol:

Oh i'm up doing my favorite thing...'washing bedding'

It seems like a beautiful day and cool breeze coming in..maybe i can actually sit and enjoy the deck :)

do you have any FUN plans for the weekend.???

hugs Judy

Archived