This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

tom Contributor
. . . . . and Tom came back and broke down MY posts......as he has a habit of doing.

Ohhhhhhhhh, I hadn't realized there was anything negative about that.

It's a bit of a necessity for me, posting w/ a phone.

I get so few sentences per screen, and the process is slow enough as it is. If I didn't break them up I'd spend more time scrolling back & forth than typing or waiting for pages to load.

I can only ask that the negative aspect of responding in that style can be overlooked until I get back on a pc.

Thanks.

[Edit - P.S. Judy - it appears the "almost quote" just needs a 'left bracket', " [ ", at the start.]

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tom Contributor
Dear tom,

I know nothing about flutes. I would like to play one, though. Maybe someday when I am rich and can afford a good one! It also helps when you can afford lessons! :lol: Having an instrument is sort of pointless when you do not know how to play it!

Hehe lessons certainly req'd for wind instruments and I'm sure just about all instruments. The Triangle? Maybe not. Wood-blocks same.

It may be surprising that I think ppl don't really need guitar lessons to get by and sound 'good enough'. :blink:

A lesson in keeping 6 strings in tune w/ each other may be needed, but an electronic tuner does wonders very cheaply.

I've thought for decades that every house should have a guitar.

Free chord-fingering charts are everywhere and just knowing G,C & D can go a long way!

A zillion songs, from Back In Black to Neil Young's acoustic Powderfinger have nothing more. (& that's w/out transposing the other 11 zillion songs from other keys)

From Johnny Cash to American (ugh) Idol winners' records. (Sorry to the fans - I can't get into an overblown karaoke contest) <tom ducks> ;)

So tune'em up and start strummin' !!! :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

-

dlp252 Apprentice
I hope Rachel feels comfortable enough to post here again soon. Somehow, this place is just not the same without our fearless President :) I always thought of her as the glue :) But not glue made with wheat :lol:

Yes, exactly how I think of her too.

As I found out recently, with the sunscreen and a trial of Lay's chips, I'm still as sensitive to tiny amounts of gluten as I ever was. I must stop challenging that and stick to whole, natural foods. B)

Oh, I had my stress-echocardiogram on Friday and although my heart is fine (thank goodness), it dosen't slow down enough after exercise. The cardiologist said that he wants to try me on a med that will slow it down a bit, and will also help with my anxiety (it's not an antidepressant). I see my internest soon, and he'll be the one to actually prescribe it. I'm excited at the thought of having some help with the anxiety and palpitations.

Well, glad the heart is okay, but sorry it doesn't slow down like it should.

oh dear.....oh dear.....I go away for five days and come back to find......fighting and tension in Rachelville.......Susie doesn't like it! :(

And Rachel.....she needs to come back!

This IS a good place. No matter what happens, it's a magic, amazing, supportive and loving place, with all kinds of info that of COURSE upon which we will not all agree. Duh.

But it's a mouse-click away to love and support. We have NOT lost that lovin' feeling, dear ones. :)

Big, Giant, GROUP HUG.

:wub::wub::wub:

indeed! So sorry you have to go through all this!

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks, Donna :)

How are you doing this afternoon? Any better?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI MIAMAI, PATTI AND BEV..SEE YOUR ALL ON NOW

BEV ARE YOU FEELING ANY BETTER THIS AFTERNOON?

DONNA, ARE YOU FEELING BETTER TOO?

WONDER IF THIS ROTTEN WEATHER HAS 'VEXED' US ALL.

jerseyangel Proficient

It's so hot and humid today B)

Looks like it wants to rain--I wish it would.

This heat wave couldn't have come at a worse time for you, Bev :(

Hi Miamia and Judy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor
. . . .. Incidentally, I always know the moon phases if anyone needs to know. ;)

hehe I can't help but ask whether it's just its current phase u know, or do u recall, say, its phase on your last bday?

(Tappy Spice doesn't surprise me anymore!! :lol: )

You DO know it don't u!! :);)

dlp252 Apprentice

Judy and Patti - yes I'm feeling a bit better...glad I stayed home though...just broke out in a very surprising sweat...just sitting here. :( Never did put in a movie but the Sci-Fi channel is having a "Dead Like Me" marathon. Slightly strange show, but humorous. :P

Okay, back to the couch for me...

tom Contributor
...I mean, I could hardly talk about scatology at dinner last night could I? :lol:

LMAO :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Avoiding starting a story w/ "hey [the texture of] that brownie reminds me of when I ate . . ." would I'm sure be greatly appreciated by your dining partners.

:lol::lol:

I haven't used the *scatological warning* much (ever?) but it would too weird to tell RL friends that it's amazing to find I'm getting used to regular normal morning bm's, something I hadn't experienced in probably 15-17 yrs!! :)

tom Contributor

[Edit - ok it was a double - so the P.S. is now . . . . ]

Part Deux!

P.S. I hope this doesn't turn into a double-post, but while waiting for the 'post submit' I saw the Dead Like Me reference!!!

Switched immed to my ch50 and there it is!

I almost mentioned it on another recent day when they also did it all day.

Donna!!!!! I LOVE that show!

Wish it had more than 2 seasons.

Oh booo! Ep on now is last of the day.

Saw the episode the other day w/ the cabin and the Last Thoughts data entry at Happy Time.

Soooooo poignant on both substories.

Daisy . . . . Daisy Adair's last thought . . . . Arrgh can't remember the phrasing.

"Why has no one ever loved me" maybe?

What a show. Is poignancy underappreciated?

jerseyangel Proficient
Judy and Patti - yes I'm feeling a bit better...glad I stayed home though...just broke out in a very surprising sweat...just sitting here. :( Never did put in a movie but the Sci-Fi channel is having a "Dead Like Me" marathon. Slightly strange show, but humorous. :P

Okay, back to the couch for me...

That's good that you're feeling better now--I'm glad you stayed home and rested. I sort of remember "Dead Like Me"--it sounds familiar. :unsure:

AndreaB Contributor

I'm also glad you stayed home Donna. Much needed rest for you. :)

tom Contributor
So, when the galvanic reaction started in the thermocouple is when it was too hot? Is that what you said?

Whoops! I didn't say it quite how I wanted to I guess!

There's voltage at room temperature and at any temperature. (No one wants to hear about "absolute zero" do they? Minus273 Kelvin is berry berry cold)

The thermocouples are so accurate and precise in that application because the *change* in voltage tracks any temperature changes.

Hmmm do I try to say why it doesn't even matter how much surface contact the 2 diff type wires have?

Nah, just that it's great that it doesn't matter.

tom Contributor
This IS a good place. No matter what happens, it's a magic, amazing, supportive and loving place, with all kinds of info that of COURSE upon which we will not all agree. Duh.

<she said Duh>

:lol:

diamondheart Newbie

Well, my bubble of excitement about having my filling replaced has burst a little tonight. Now that all the numbing has worn off, I've discovered that it hurts when I chew on that new filling. I'm afraid I might have had the dentist take the filling down too low. I know with the one amalgam that broke 5 years ago, I've had trouble with the replacement composite filling on and off for years with heat and cold sensitivity. I'm wondering if it's because I had that one filed down too low also?

Or is it just the nerve irritated from replacing that filling today? I hope it's the latter :( . At least I'll know better for the next fillings coming up.

Claire

AndreaB Contributor
Or is it just the nerve irritated from replacing that filling today? I hope it's the latter :( . At least I'll know better for the next fillings coming up.

I don't know as I haven't gone through with this yet. I had 4 crowns done 2 years ago, one which became a root canal later. The root canal tooth bothered me for quite some time (hot and cold)....over a year.

I'll be curious to see what the others have to say too.

diamondheart Newbie

Well, I may have answered my own question. I found lots of info on the internet about fillings that are sensitive after they have been placed. I guess they can be sensitive for 4-6 weeks. I hope that is all it is! Then waiting to do the other side of my mouth was a good thing! Oh, I'm such a wimp when it comes to dental work :ph34r: . I want it to feel normal now!

Tom, you asked a question about candida being caused by other things than heavy metals. Here's a great paper written by my acupuncturist about leaky gut syndrome. It explains some of the other things that cause leaky gut syndrome, like antibiotics and NSAIDs. I think both of these were problems for me.

Open Original Shared Link

Antibiotics Promote the Growth of Fungus

The second way antibiotics damage the intestines is by fostering the growth of Candida

Albicans and other pathogenic fungi and yeast. This event, more than any other,

precipitates Leaky Gut Syndrome. In a healthy situation the small intestine epithelium

maintains tight cell junctions, which contributes to the physical barrier involved in

intestinal absorption. In addition to the physical barrier, there is an important chemical

barrier within the mucus that contains immune agents which neutralize any toxin that

comes in contact.

Claire

evie Rookie

Hello all...just had to respond after reading some nice comments about myself on here 3 pages back. Just yesterday I finally got back on celiac.com, my passwaord gets kicked out..hoping it stays in this time. Also sorry to get back in time for the late 7/4/07 fireworks...hope everything gets worked out and all the posters stay here...we all learn from Rachel's research and hope she stays on here.

We will be celebrating our 61st anniversary 7/13/07 and will have a family reunion with my brother and sister and lots of cousins on Sunday here at our Sr Center. Looking forward to that. :) Been a few years since we got together.

I have been feeling pretty good for someone with all my problems and age...when not too steamy hot I have walked 18 blocks here in town many days...we are getting a new firestation/ comm. center built..I am one of the sidewalk superintendents!! Keep up all the good posting..glad to be back here with CC friends....Evie ;)

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Judy,

I agree completely. All posting adds value to the thread! We learn so much from everyone! It is all collective. This thread is amazing because of the concern everyone shares for each other! :) Please Rachel, come back!

Dear Susie,

It is nice to hear from you! I was wondering where the heck you went! :blink: I knew you went to the beach. I was worried you got sucked into an alternate universe Rachelville. Some of the other members seem to have disappeared, too.

As you so wisely put it, it is a big DUH not everyone is going to agree. That is always how it is. We just need to make sure we respectfully do so. This is very important. Friendship is forever! We are connected! I LOVE YOU MAN! :wub: HUGS!

There is bound to be something that your back can be helped by. We just have to find out what it is. Chances are, the Celiac caused the damage. I will poke around and see what I can find. I need to look up some other stuff anyway.

Dear tom,

Flutes are something that people said are easy to play. I never got the chance to even try one. I did get to try to play a tuba once! That sure was a site! :lol: I was shorter then than I am now!

My guitar is a nice one. My brother bought it for me. It deserves to be played! Whether or not playing it well without lessons is possible, it is difficult to say. I play the piano and keyboard by ear alright. People always assume I had lessons, but did not.

I am not absolutely sure about the moonphase on my last birthday. It was in the middle of the month. Normally at that time, it was a new moon I think. That has changed more recently. I am going to have to look that up!

The information about galvanic reactions is interesting. Electrical Engineering is fascinating. It is not the world's easiest subject, either. My friend who lives in Phoenix where you are is an Electrical Engineer for IBM. She really loves Phoenix, despite the hot weather.

Yesterday must have been difficult for your family. :( Pat seemed like the type of guy that would give the shirt off of his back to someone else if it would help them. He also loved and respected nature. Not many people do nowadays. I wish more people were like that. You want to hear something truly terrible? I kept looking at that picture in your avatar, lusting over that cake! :blink: Here goes that stupid food lust again!

I apologize if that sounds insensitive. I am a hungry woman! Sorry about that! Getting back to your brother, I know that he will be around you all of the time. Your other brother will be too. You just have to be open to it. I think it is great you attempted to go hiking in honor of Pat. I am sure he liked that!

Dear Donna,

I am so sorry you had such a rough day! Shaking like that is awful. My blood sugar does that to me. It is scary! You cannot hold a pen, type, or anything else. They really need to set up your fax so you can work from home when possible.

I hope things get back to normal, too. Rachelville is a happy place. We need to restore order. Things are not always perfect, but this little utopia was so close! Sometimes, a little time is all that is needed to help smooth things over.

Dear Carla,

We know you are nowhere close to useless! You are important! We love you Carla! :wub: If it had not been for you, Rachel, and Donna, Lyme Disease would not even have crossed many of our minds! The information you provide is priceless! Sharing your story gives the rest of us hope!

Maybe the herx will not be horrific. We can hope, anyway! You get herxes for the Babs and the Lyme? That is terrible! How do you ever get a rest?

Dear Alison,

Is that thing still crawling around in the bag? Did it die? What are you planning to do with it? Have you decided? I know you are pretty sure it is a tick. Those things sure are ugly!

Dear Patti,

It is hard to believe you do not know much about computers! You post like a pro! ;) There is so much to learn for everyone on these things! Even when you have a new model, you have an old one. Technology is impossible to catch up with.

I am so relieved to hear your heart was alright! It is good they will give you something for the palpitations and anxiety. Those things can be very troublesome. The fact that you are moving probably does not help much. Keep us updated on the situation!

Dear Charlie,

I did not see your other post until later for some reason. What you said about everyone was wonderful! I feel the same way. Carla and Rachel both have great information. Their experiences are equally valuable.

Dear Kim,

Everyone here is very passionate. Sometimes, passion can be seen negatively. We all have strong feelings about certain things because of our situations. It is a beautiful thing that we can share so much with each other. I hope you stick around!

Dear Lisa,

How are you today? I hope better. There are so many things are bodies go through a day. Sometimes it is so scary. Thank goodness we have each other to keep going.

Dear Claire,

I am so glad your dentist's appointment was not near as terrible as you anticipated it would be! We all tend to be scared of those appointments! They are always surprised at how well I take the needle! It is so funny. I think it is great you care so much about the baby you are going to have that you are doing this.

You probably do have some sensitivity. It is not abnormal. Regular dental work is the same way. I am going to have to do something soon. My teeth are in bad shape.

Dear Andrea,

I am sorry T is aching. Maybe that will improve soon. She sure seems to take things well. Seth appears to be the more complex case. All of those sensitivities is problematic.

I know what you mean with the root canal. I had one last July. It started getting really sensitive lately. I made sure it was a composite. I told them I would not have any metal put in my mouth!

Dear Sherry,

That is a lot of different minerals! If they help and do not hurt, I say why not? Did you ever find the zinc? You would think that would be widely available. Of course, even here in the U.S. things are not as easy to find as you would expect all the time. Things vary from town to town.

Dear Bev,

Are you doing any better today? Or is it another Yucka Dookie Day? Those days suck. I get those, too! I have been using the Himalayan Sea Salt and notice I feel a bit better on it. I sort of wonder if I was having a herx the other day from it.

Is that possible?

Dear Evie,

I am glad to hear you are doing well! Wow, your 61st anniversary! That is wonderful! My parents have been married 34 years already. You also get to have a family reunion! How exciting! Be sure to give us an update soon!

Dear Everybody,

Well, today I got some sad news. Dad got fired! :o The company he worked for had gotten into debt with another company. They owed $7 Million! Naturally, there were cutbacks. Dad was one of them.

I am worried, because this was the only source of income we have. My health being the way it is, I do not think I could even handle a part-time job. The medication I take knocks me out. Nausea is not something you can deal with constantly. That is on top of feeling like I am going to pass out all the time.

Sincerely,

Jin

AndreaB Contributor
Then waiting to do the other side of my mouth was a good thing! Oh, I'm such a wimp when it comes to dental work :ph34r: . I want it to feel normal now!

I don't think you are out of the ordinary thinking that way. I'm not super fond of dental work either.

We will be celebrating our 61st anniversary 7/13/07 and will have a family reunion with my brother and sister and lots of cousins on Sunday here at our Sr Center. Looking forward to that. :) Been a few years since we got together.

Happy early Anniversary Evie! Good to see you back here again. Sounds like you've been keeping quite busy. Keep us posted on your family reunion......as well as how you are doing. :)

I am worried, because this was the only source of income we have. My health being the way it is, I do not think I could even handle a part-time job. The medication I take knocks me out. Nausea is not something you can deal with constantly. That is on top of feeling like I am going to pass out all the time.

Jin,

I'm sorry about your dad's job. :( That is a very stressful thing. It doesn't sound like a part time job is an option for you right now. Hopefully something will come up quickly for you dad.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Claire, I don't have much experience with fillings, luckily, but my son and husband always seem to have some discomfort while chewing in the side that was worked on for a short time.

Hi Evie!! Glad you got back on. I am having to sign in much more frequently now. I don't know if it's the board, or my new computer? Anyway, very exciting about your upcoming anniversary. And good for you with the walking!

Jin, I'm so sorry about your dad getting fired. That's awful. I hope the saying--when a door closes, a window opens--will apply in his case. Does he have any ideas yet as to what to do? I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Mornin' Andrea :)

tom Contributor
Isn't UL right on the Edens?

I went to work coming from SW of there, and until I looked, I'd forgotten that little stretch of the Edens that's E-W!!

So yes it's real close to that part.

I'd never be on the Edens for the commute. 294 to Techny or Dundee. Officially, UL on Pfingsten, but the grounds were huge and maybe only clients used that entrance.

Had a lot of fun there. So weird that my boss's boss & HIS boss, in the summer, would be in a nearby forest preserve for lunch, slammin' a six-pack each!!

Many of us would join them on occasion, but they were EVERY DAY that it was nice enough outside. (Take *that* "paragon of safety"!! :lol: )

CarlaB Enthusiast
Well, I may have answered my own question. I found lots of info on the internet about fillings that are sensitive after they have been placed. I guess they can be sensitive for 4-6 weeks.

I also found that the bigger the filling is that the longer it hurts. If it's sticking up causing it to hit first when you bite down, then it would need to be filed a bit more .... but they are sensitive after you get them. My daughter has had a new one for six months and it still occasionally bothers her ... I had one like that, eventually it didn't bother me anymore.

Hmm, I thought I also quoted Jin ... Jin, I have never heard anyone say that learning the flute is easy! The fingerings are complicated and don't make sense, and you have to learn how to get a good sound out of it.

I was thinking, that if you like the flute, you could get a tin whistle ... they have a similar sound and most likely would not require lessons. Here is one website that sells tin whistles Open Original Shared Link ... I have the Grey Larson Preffered flute (the one with keys) ... I primarily play my Boehm flute, but my Irish flute is pretty neat and has a different sound ... these tin whistles are not cheap, but a lot less than a flute. I'm sure you could find them for less than this.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I also meant to quote abx as the cause of candida (also birth control pills).

When I took doxycycline a little more than four years ago, that is when my Lyme kicked in and I got stomach problems.

The abx can disrupt the balance in your intestines. In my case, it allowed klebsiella and Citrobacter to overgrow and got rid of the "good" bacteria. I've taken probiotics for YEARS. Because I've always taken probiotics I am thinking that the overgrowth of bacteria may have prevented them from "taking".

So, in my case it was not a candida problem, but the abx can cause an imbalance in that regard, too.

Archived