This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Soon After Eating Gluten Do You Fall Ill?

againstthegrain

againstthegrain Newbie

How quickly after eating gluten do you fall sick? Does it take hours? days?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I usually get brain fog within a few hours. My other symptoms don't appear until after about 12 hours and they can last for several days to two weeks.

natalunia Rookie

I have had diarrhea hit after only one hour after eating cake around 6pm (after not eating much earlier in the day). Typically though, the diarrhea hits me about 4-8 hours later. I haven't really paid attention to whether I get brain fog, but I now seem to get itchy when exposed to gluten now that I have been on a gluten free diet for 3 weeks. I usually have the diarrhea for anywhere from 8 to 72 hours. It all depends on how quickly the Imodium works! <_<

GreySaber Apprentice

Now, I'm not sure if I'm a celiac or an allergy, but I usually start to feel ill, maybe fourty minutes after I start.

IE, If I eat out and I eat something I ought not to have, I usually can tell as we walk out the door how fast we need to drive home. It's sort of like everything is fine, then there is a chain reaction in the intestines, which feels like everything dropped two inches inside me.

Then it's time to drive fast before everything comes out as very bad poo. There is a certain amount of intestinal discomfort, but that's less serious (to me) then the fact I have to go to the bathroom and deal with the bad poo.

tiffjake Enthusiast
Now, I'm not sure if I'm a celiac or an allergy, but I usually start to feel ill, maybe fourty minutes after I start.

IE, If I eat out and I eat something I ought not to have, I usually can tell as we walk out the door how fast we need to drive home. It's sort of like everything is fine, then there is a chain reaction in the intestines, which feels like everything dropped two inches inside me.

Then it's time to drive fast before everything comes out as very bad poo. There is a certain amount of intestinal discomfort, but that's less serious (to me) then the fact I have to go to the bathroom and deal with the bad poo.

Ditto! If I eat something with gluten in it (like hidden gluten in a sauce) when eating out, then I ususally don't get out of the place before going to the bathroom with D. It is within 20 min that I have D. And the depression and brain fog starts within 4-6 hours, ususally with a migrane. I have the D for about a day, maybe two (I just figured it I have it untill I get all of the gluten out) and then back to "normal" or normal for not eating gluten. BUT my grandmother had SEVERE celiac, and I take after her, so my D is a FAST reaction. I have thrown up too, and my doc says that my intestines "reject" the food, and shut down, so the stomach will send it back up. That is rare though. I have heard others take hours or days to get sick, but not me, it is super fast. Don't know what that means.....if anything.

againstthegrain Newbie

Have you gotten so sick from being glutened you had to go to the hospital?

tiffjake Enthusiast
Have you gotten so sick from being glutened you had to go to the hospital?

Me? Yes, my intestines shut down. It was nasty.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

Since I have been gluten-free for over two years (except for 2 testing instances), I have found that within 3 to 4 bites I know I have ingested gluten. Cross contamination takes a little longer for me and I feel sick in 20 minutes.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I will start itching all over (enough to feel like I am going insane) after a few hours, break out in DH within a day or two, and get terrible D anywhere from four days to a week after eating gluten (it used to be 30 minutes, in January it was 24 hours, now it takes up to a week). That will take one or two days, and then I go back to normal. I also get short tempered, very tired and sluggish within a day after ingesting gluten.

jerseyangel Proficient

After 2 hours, I begin to get the stomach rumbling, then gas, and then D. For the next 5 days or so, I have D, nausea, brain fog, anxiety, fatigue and achiness. Then, over the next few days, it gradually lets up.

whitball Explorer

I usually know right away with some things. Like corn flour, I have felt it burn my throat on the way down. Most other things take about 30 minutes before the cramping, pain, and stomach rumbling starts. I have not had to go to the hospital, but I did think about it a few times because of the pain intensity.

GreySaber Apprentice
Ditto!

Tiff, do you agree with the sensation feeling like everything inside 'drops two inches'? or is it different for you?

eleep Enthusiast

Takes me 1-2 hours to get intense anxiety and brain fog -- which I'm still learning to identify as a reaction to food since I've got a bunch of stuff to logically be anxious about right now. Within 12 hours I've got the gastro symptoms.

tiffjake Enthusiast
Tiff, do you agree with the sensation feeling like everything inside 'drops two inches'? or is it different for you?

I don't know that I would have put it like that, but I think I know what you mean. I feel like I am preggers with triplets,and they are all kicking my intestings (like, I hear noises, and I "feel" the D moving quickly.....ew, that was gross.....um.....I don't know how else to put it!) I didn't think about it feeling like everything "drops two inches" until I saw that you put that. And now that I think about it, it is like that. Like everything has to shift or something......I don't know.....but I DID get glutened at Outback on Monday, and I was sick before I even left. And I was just sitting there, and BAM (gurgle, rumble, :blink: got to run to the bathroom). Fast.

And I have had a headache since, and have been sleeping 12 hours a night. But I think this was not bad, because the manager and I talked yesterday, and the only thing we can figure is that a crouton fell in the dressing and no one saw it. So it would have been CC and a TRACE amount of gluten, but I guess that is enough for me! I ate there again last night (the manager begged me to give them another change to get it right, and they did! They pulled out FRESH dressing, just for me, and no sickness! Now I will know what to ask for next time!)

Laura Apprentice
It's sort of like everything is fine, then there is a chain reaction in the intestines, which feels like everything dropped two inches inside me.

Then it's time to drive fast before everything comes out as very bad poo.

Ok, I loved this. And it is so exactly my experience. Chain reaction in the intestines...I feel a little rumble, the kind that might be nothing but then it builds into this sensation of, like, motion, and then like you say everything drops two inches - perfect description!

And "very bad poo." Boy howdy! Perfect, and fabulous, way to put it.

elonwy Enthusiast

About 15-20 minutes after eating the offensive item, I start to bloat up and get stomach cramps. I don't get "bad poo" until about 2 hours later, then I'm going every hour until its done. My brain fog and aches usually hang out for about three days though, and my tummy will bloat up when I eat anything for the next few days.

Elonwy

Guest cassidy

I start feeling bad sometimes at 3 bites in, my gut starts "singing" making these high pitch, loud noises which I know means gluten. If I can't hear that (in a restaurant or eating with people and trying not to think about it) then the D or severe stomach pain will hit before I leave the table. I've tried taking a few bites and waiting to see if I can hear/feel a reaction, but if I do have a reaction it doesn't seem to be any less severe if I've consumed 3 bites versus the whole meal.

Matilda Enthusiast

Terrilyn Rookie

I am new to this disease so everything for me is still trial and error. If I eat anything with gluten, it is usually a couple of hours before I feel anything. I get the low abdominal pain, bloating and gas. I sometimes feel as if my intestines want to push there way out of me. I don't get diarrhea in the loose runny way but, I do usually have to go to the bathroom at least 3 - 4 times a day. After these BM's I usually feel so exhausted that I could go to sleep. All of this goes on for at least 3 - 4 days if not longer. Since I have been diagnosed in March 2006 I have only had 1 straight run of 8 days of feeling good. I have been averaging 3 good 4 bad etc. I am also slightly lactose intolerant and even though I am taking an over the counter pill I think it still affects me. I do use a little milk in coffee but, I definetly stay away from cheese, that really does not agree with me.

Terrilyn

Elizabeth-Elindel Rookie

I get a reaction before I finish my meal - usually about 5 - 10 minutes into it. LBM sets in later that day and lasts for about two days, and the joint pain/brain fog lasts about 10 days.

The sad thing is, the longer you're off, the worse your reaction seems to be. :)

grrtch Rookie
The sad thing is, the longer you're off, the worse your reaction seems to be. :)

I am noticing exactly that! Been working on keeping this diet for a month now, and before I went on it, I was like, "Oh yeah, some D, nothing too bad, but last week, I got nailed by non-dairy creamer in coffee someone served me during a professional apppointment. D for a day, then lethargy and foggy head for two. Thought I was improving when I got nailed again eating out either Friday night or Saturday lunch. Eight to ten hours later, I had bubbly tummy and D that lasted for four days, fatigue/brain fog/depression for five. That darn gluten is one sneaky critter!! I'm remembering this for when I get a craving for some old treat I used to enjoy... The payback is hell!

Archived