This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gimme The Lowdown On Stevia

mythreesuns

mythreesuns Contributor

After still being sick on a Gluten-free Casein-free diet, I've decided to cut out EVERYTHING artificial. At least until I get my EnteroLab results back to see if there's something else I'm intolerant to.

So, I'm not using Equal anymore (and after reading some research, I'm not sure I ever will again!) but I did find some Stevia extract at Whole Foods and I've been using that in my coffee.

It wasn't in the food section, but in the supplement section. So, is Stevia safe? What's good about it? What's bad about it? Anyone have any info?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

stevia is safe. it is in the supplement section because it is an herbal product. i have found that i like stevia better on cold cereal than sugar-----and i have never cared for the tasted of artificial sweeteners------i guess i must like stevia because it is not artificial!! i have never tried using it for other things.

Guest nini

it's safe... just get it in the pure form, not cut with anything, sometimes they cut it with maltodextrin so if you are sensitive to corn you would need to avoid that...

mythreesuns Contributor
it's safe... just get it in the pure form, not cut with anything, sometimes they cut it with maltodextrin so if you are sensitive to corn you would need to avoid that...

The one I got actually does have maltodextrin in it. Where can you get pure stevia?

gabby Enthusiast

Stevia is part of the ragweed family, and needs to be used with caution by people who have ragweed allergies. The brand we used to use (can't remember which) had this printed on the bottle. We don't use it anymore because my DH sneezes up a storm whenever he is exposed to stevia. It is a pity though, because he really liked it as an alternative to sugar and other sweeteners. Also great because it doesn't raise blood sugar.

linz7997 Explorer

my grandmother is diabetic and this may be a good alternative for her-ive never heard of it...is it in a crystal/powder form like sugar!!?!?!?

mythreesuns Contributor
my grandmother is diabetic and this may be a good alternative for her-ive never heard of it...is it in a crystal/powder form like sugar!!?!?!?

I bought it in packets, just like Equal or Sweet-n-Low packets. It's crystal-y or powdery just like the other sugar substitutes.

I think you can buy it in other forms too, that's just what I happen to see on the shelf.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happyhealthy1 Newbie

hi stevia has a lot of benefits over artificial sweeteners, it has vitamins and minerals and is used in South America to treat diabetics since it lowers blood glucose levels as well as lowers hypertension and blood preasure. It has zero calories, zero carbs, and zero glycemic index, I even grow a plant and eat the leaves when I want a sweet treat or use the fresh leaves with my mint and limes in water. I found this coupon and just recently used it so hopefully it will come in handy for you too. The liquid flavors that sweetleaf has are awesome, i like the apricot in my water, it tastes so good and helps me drink more water all day.

Open Original Shared Link

VydorScope Proficient
Stevia is part of the ragweed family, and needs to be used with caution by people who have ragweed allergies. The brand we used to use (can't remember which) had this printed on the bottle. We don't use it anymore because my DH sneezes up a storm whenever he is exposed to stevia. It is a pity though, because he really liked it as an alternative to sugar and other sweeteners. Also great because it doesn't raise blood sugar.

Really?? I am very allergic to ragweed, ah well I guess I will stick with Splenda.

Michi8 Contributor
The one I got actually does have maltodextrin in it. Where can you get pure stevia?

The one I have is Herbal Select brand. I bought it at Walmart in the supplement section of the pharmacy. Its ingredients list: rice maltodextrin, stevia powdered leaf extracts (stevia rebaudiana), silica.

Michelle

chrissy Collaborator

mine is pure stevia by KAL dietary supplements. there are no other ingredients in it. i think i bought it at smith's food king (kroger). you can also get it in a liquid form. it is alot sweeter than suger.

TCA Contributor
Really?? I am very allergic to ragweed, ah well I guess I will stick with Splenda.

Soooooo glad to find this out. I'm severely allergic to ragweed and was about to buy some to try. I'm a Splenda gal too. so far haven't noticed any problems with it and we've been using it for years since my hubby is diabetic.

VydorScope Proficient
Soooooo glad to find this out. I'm severely allergic to ragweed and was about to buy some to try. I'm a Splenda gal too. so far haven't noticed any problems with it and we've been using it for years since my hubby is diabetic.

Yea I am checking around this morning. Seems like anyone with a ragweed allergy should aviod it. So that removes it from my list of safe things to try. As a hypoglycemic that white junk that ppl think is natural and safe is out, and honey/etc not much better. Leaving Splenda as the safest alternative. Contray to the conspiracy theroy web sites Splenda is safe, unless your intolerant to it.

also found this..

When should I be careful taking it?

Precautions

Pregnant and breast-feeding women should not take stevia because very little is known about how a developing baby or an infant may be affected by it.

In animal studies, extremely large doses of stevia caused kidney damage. Although no reports of similar injury in humans have been published, it is possible that stevia could damage human kidneys. Individuals with known or suspected kidney disease should avoid its use.

What side effects should I watch for?

Stevia belongs to the same family of plants that includes chrysanthemums, daisies, and ragweed. Individuals who are sensitive to any of these plants may also be sensitive to stevia.

What interactions should I watch for?

Prescription Drugs

Because stevia may have a lowering effect on blood sugar, it may increase the effectiveness of insulin and oral medications used for the treatment of diabetes. Individuals who are taking medications for diabetes should talk to their doctors or pharmacists before using stevia. Blood sugar levels may need to be checked more often, as well.

It is thought that stevia may lower blood pressure by blocking calcium channels – the same way that certain high blood pressure drugs work. If stevia is taken with one of these drugs, blood pressure may become too low – a condition known as hypotension. Low blood pressure may not have any signs, but it may produce blurred vision, confusion, dizziness, or fainting. Calcium-channel blocking drugs include:

* diltiazem (Cardizem, Dilacor)

* nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia)

* Norvasc

* Plendil

* verapamil (Calan, Isoptin, Verelan)

NOthing scary there realy, just some things to note.

mythreesuns Contributor
The one I have is Herbal Select brand. I bought it at Walmart in the supplement section of the pharmacy. Its ingredients list: rice maltodextrin, stevia powdered leaf extracts (stevia rebaudiana), silica.

Mine actually has rice maltodextrin in it as well. Don't think I'm sensitive to rice, so I'm sticking with it. :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

Here's a site for Stevia:

Open Original Shared Link

I recently read about Xylitol, which is apparently a natural sweetener, and our bodies actually make the stuff too. The catch is that it can cause some reactions in larger amounts. Generally if I need a sweetener I just use fruit. Raisins, dates, apple sauce (w/no added sugar), pineapple, banana...the list goes on and on.

• 1 year later...
tuttabella44 Newbie

I have been using Stevia for almost 6 months and have never felt better. I recommend using Sweetleaf. Check out Sweetleaf.com for more info and recipes. Here's my favorite!

Apple Crisp

7 to 8 cups peeled & chopped apples (about 5 apples -- peeling is optional)

3 Tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp SweetLeaf

ShayFL Enthusiast

If you are gluten free substitute the "Whole Wheat Flour" in that recipe for a gluten free one. ;)

Pyro Enthusiast

Just FYI, today I was pretty hungry for some chocolate and all I have in the house right now is unsweetened powder for baking.

I happened to have some stevia on hand, and decided to toss a little bit on a spoon to mix with the chocolate and it was really good! I like it a lot and am happy that I don't have to drive all the way out to the store for a chocolate bar now.

Archived