This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dilemma With Family

Yenni

happygirl Collaborator

I don't need an article to tell me a crumb will or won't make me sick...I get sick on tiny, tiny amounts. So no amount of "carefulness" is too much!!!!! You are your only (and best) advocate for your health. You must take care of yourself. Honestly, who cares what other people think when you are in bed or in the bathroom, sick as a dog, for days? Its hard to get used to...but once you do....you get over it fast!!!!! (speaking from experience).

But, since I do like articles....here's another one: https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-52106382872.60

And, it was a relatively small sample, so its not to say that smaller amounts don't cause damage. Plus, smaller amounts *might* not cause as much damage, but still may make you sick (just a thought of mine).

Hope this helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast
I don't need an article to tell me a crumb will or won't make me sick...I get sick on tiny, tiny amounts. So no amount of "carefulness" is too much!!!!! You are your only (and best) advocate for your health. You must take care of yourself. Honestly, who cares what other people think when you are in bed or in the bathroom, sick as a dog, for days? Its hard to get used to...but once you do....you get over it fast!!!!! (speaking from experience).

But, since I do like articles....here's another one: https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-52106382872.60

And, it was a relatively small sample, so its not to say that smaller amounts don't cause damage. Plus, smaller amounts *might* not cause as much damage, but still may make you sick (just a thought of mine).

Hope this helps.

1/48th of a slice of bread... :blink: Thanks for the link! This all is making me feeling better about what I am doing. :)

You are right in that I shouldn't care. Some times it just gets "lonely on the paranoid side of this" if you know what I mean. I think I needed to read all of this too to feel I am doing the right thing.

:)

Jestgar Rising Star

Just a light note to this.

When I went gluten-free, I cc'd myself a couple times with pans, but never anything else. I was thinking I was just lucky but reading the note on the silverware reminded me....

One night, shortly before I went gluten-free, I was up in the middle of the night and went into the kitchen to get a drink of water. When I turned on the light there was a VERY well fed mouse sitting on my sink looking at me. After screaming for a couple minutes I started chasing him around the kitchen trying to catch him in a bowl. All I was able to do was chase him into my silverware drawer, and then out into the heating vents.

Needless to say, the next day I took apart my kitchen and scrubbed everything I had...

Now I'm thinking the mouse did me a favor.

Yenni Enthusiast
Just a light note to this.

When I went gluten-free, I cc'd myself a couple times with pans, but never anything else. I was thinking I was just lucky but reading the note on the silverware reminded me....

One night, shortly before I went gluten-free, I was up in the middle of the night and went into the kitchen to get a drink of water. When I turned on the light there was a VERY well fed mouse sitting on my sink looking at me. After screaming for a couple minutes I started chasing him around the kitchen trying to catch him in a bowl. All I was able to do was chase him into my silverware drawer, and then out into the heating vents.

Needless to say, the next day I took apart my kitchen and scrubbed everything I had...

Now I'm thinking the mouse did me a favor.

:lol::lol:

Dan Newbie

akJenny,

Your dog's markings are very similar to my dog. What breed is your dog.

Yenni Enthusiast
akJenny,

Your dog's markings are very similar to my dog. What breed is your dog.

She is a German Shephard/Labrador retriver mix. A "Germador Shephiver". :)

2,5 years old now. She is a "forever puppy" though.

daffadilly Apprentice

Jenny, you can get sick from someone with wheaty hands touching your keyboard. It has happened to me several times. The computer repair guy was here & yep then I was sitting at the computer eating a snack & ZAP...

Then there was the time I took my scrapping supplies to a weekend crop that I was teaching & the only thing they ate all weekend was wheat & then touching all my stuff. I had to come home & wash everything. I will never do that again...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast
Jenny, you can get sick from someone with wheaty hands touching your keyboard. It has happened to me several times. The computer repair guy was here & yep then I was sitting at the computer eating a snack & ZAP...

Then there was the time I took my scrapping supplies to a weekend crop that I was teaching & the only thing they ate all weekend was wheat & then touching all my stuff. I had to come home & wash everything. I will never do that again...

I think I believe you. ;) Yesterday I had nasty heart burn (from probably being glutened from the keyboard/mouse the evening before) and today my body aches. Especially my back. Have a head ache too.

My husband is now instructed not to eat by the computer. :angry:;)

frenchiemama Collaborator
I think I believe you. ;) Yesterday I had nasty heart burn (from probably being glutened from the keyboard/mouse the evening before) and today my body aches. Especially my back. Have a head ache too.

My husband is now instructed not to eat by the computer. :angry:;)

That is my biggest annoyance. My husband, who normally is very sensitive to my needs and understanding always would eat (gluten) while he was on the computer. He would eat, wipe his hand on a napkin, and then put his hand on the mouse or keyboard. I asked and asked and asked and asked him not to do it. He continued to do it claiming "I wipe my hands, that's good enough". Finally I just snapped and said "What on earth makes you think that wiping your hands repeatedly on the same ratty little paper napkin is actually getting them clean?? Is eating your damn sandwich while on the computer more important than my health?"

That finally got through to him. Sort of. Now he at least eats with his non-mouse hand. <_<

Creative-Soul Newbie

:blink: Silverware?!? Cuttingboards?!?!? Personal care products??!??

See why this site is priceless??? I honestly didn't know! And computer keys??? Yeah, I can see myself having a lot of fun <_< trying to explain that one... I need a lot of educating...HELP ME!!! I've been wondering why I still feel yucky sometimes even though I try so hard to be strict diet-wise...humnn..

I discovered about vitamins the hard way.I'm usually a great label reader, so the new multi-vatimin I was trying didn't have gluten,but there are many other allergies/intolerances that are being confirmed/showing up out of the blue - like Splenda, which was listed by it's generic name. For a week I was wondering what on earth was wrong with me...I was so exhausted I was sickkkk. Then it hit me. Geez.

I'm still relatively new at this - about a year - and there's so much to learn and be careful of that sometimes my head spins. I don't personally know anyone my age with Celiac /Gluten intolerance, so it's hard! Thankfully my best friend is so understanding, but I'm still trying to negotiate my way around the people I live with..it's been a slowwww process. I'm still trying to get them to understand that I can't have "even a little" bite...I've been told that," It can't be that painful that you can't taste it.." Yes, it can!!!

This is definitely an issue when it comes to dating...

I suspect - strongly - that this is my mom's problem as well, as I think about all of her health issues, but am a little skeptical as to whether she would take it seriously or not. She's suffering so much...any suggestions?

Archived