Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lorka150

A Few Questions For My Cookbook

I am just finishing up most of the recipes that are in my book. I just have a few questions.

I want to first say that this is a whole foods based cookbook (optimal health!) ALL of which is gluten and casein free. There are NO pre-made products use (example, 1/4 c. of dairy-free cheese) and so on. I've recreated all of my recipes to taste just as good without (nutritional yeast is my friend!). I find pre-made things frustrating with my allergy to rice, and I want to leave stuff like that out becasue so many are soy sensitive.

Everything has an egg-free and soy-free and vegan option.

That being said, I want to make sure that I do include recipes that are ones that you would buy a book for. I am aiming this towards foods that you miss that you find hard to re-create - NOT foods like a rice stirfry that you made a million times before you were gluten-free because it was naturally that!

So, that being said, what are 'must haves'? If you picked up a book and flicked to the index to check if there was __________ and ___________ and don't forget ____________! what would they be?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated - after all, you're who it's for.

Thanks

Laurie

Gluten-free, Vegan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Because I am an experienced cook and can make many entrees free of allergens, I would be looking for special things like sauces or condements that I cannot purchase ready-made (or they're so expensive I don't like to buy them) like sauces, ketchup, chili sauce, egg/dairy-free "creamed" sauces and gravies. (So many store-bought things have citric acid in them and with my corn allergy, that's out.)

Good breads and cakes/cookies without egg, and something that resembles cheesecake without dairy would be a delight. And a frozen dessert that's creamy.

Chicken-fried steak or other "breaded" meats (again, that don't require egg).

I skim through gluten-free cookbooks to check if the recipes rely heavily on egg, yogurt or tofu and if they do, then it's not a cookbook for me. However, if the author gives alternatives to these (especially the egg), then that might be an incentive for me to buy it.

I like the idea of the foods being all natural and not including processed foods of any kind. I havebeen very frustrated by so many bread recipes that include commercial egg replacer (which contains corn!!!)

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Thanks so far.

Luckily, the best part of this is that you are reinforcing things I am already thinking of.

Condiments is a big one for me, too, as I don't buy anything pre-made.

WHen I first got sick, my mum went gluten and casein free with me (for her MS), and I really didn't want to deprive her from anything. It was really important for me to re-create her favourites - and a lot of the desserts were creamy ones, so I needed ice creams and creamy pies and cakes and whenever I looked up ANYTHING it all called for "Dairy free cream cheese".

I'd get mad because I couldn't eat that! :)

Anyway, so it began, and thanks for the reinforcement. I hope this book does well.

Gluten-free, Vegan

I'd like a book with definitions and pictures of foreign ingredients, like agave, stevia, nutritional yeast vs regular yeast ... The form these come in would be good too. Liquid vs powder.

Also a substitution chart for things like xanthum gum, guar gum, etc. Nice to have if you run out of something ...

A section on the best cooking utensils would be good. For example cast iron pans are good for increasing iron in the diet. Teflon vs stainless steel.

A section on appliances. What is a tortilla maker ? How to chose a food processor ? Grain mill ?

I really need a how to cook book ... I would never have learned this much about cooking if I didn't have allergies.

What is the best way to store grains, xanthum gum, etc ...

Quick tips on using spices like curry, oregano ...

... hope this helps ... Marcia ...

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

I really like the idea of how to store all your flours and gums and such etc. I just happen to hear things here and there about how to take care of my flours and such. I always like the "different" ways to make the usual a bit different. Take the staple, chicken breast, I find a different receipe I am all over that... only so many ways to eat that before blech.. no more!

Good luck with the cookbook, let us know when its done!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

First off let me say, I am SO EXCITED you are doing this!!!!

Like a couple of others have said, sauces and gravies are a big one. I would love to have a recipe for a really good, but easy cream of mushroom gravy.

Hmmm... some other stuff I would love, pancakes and breads (ofcourse). I'm sure there's tons of stuff I would love to see but just can't think of right now.

I love that you're doing this!!

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

I look for appetizers and other small things - but *quick* appetizers. :)

I also look for pictures. I let my visual taste buds be my guide with cookbooks.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Quick and easy meals. I miss the days of throwing a casserole together and calling it a day! I've been searching for a book like the one you're putting together. Please let us know when it's available! :)

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

So, that being said, what are 'must haves'? If you picked up a book and flicked to the index to check if there was __________ and ___________ and don't forget ____________! what would they be?

Off the top of my head, I'd say I'd be looking for:

1. Kid-friendly cooking (or better yet, options to make adult-type recipes more appealing to kids - add apples to muffins, add chocolate chips, or whatever)

2. A good cinnamon roll recipe that's light. The best one I've found so far is the one on the Food Philosopher's website but they're really heavy. Something a little lighter, fluffier.

3. High-protein options, again I'm thinking for my DD who's still underweight, where you can make every bit count (adding nuts, adding eggs).

4. on the same note - full fat vs. low fat options - we don't cut fats or calories at this stage because we're working at gaining weight.

5. troubleshooting on the bread recipe (if the bread falls, try this; etc.)

6. the science of flours - how starches work vs how flours work. Identify flours with higher nutritional value vs those with lower nutritional values. In your bread specifically, you are loose with your blends (which is nice) but suggesting combinations (does sorghum go with quinoa? amaranth?)

Good luck! If you want a test kitchen you can depend on mine if you like!

mamatide

Ok, mine is pretty simple and reinforces what others have said:

I want recipes for things that aren't easy to adapt. Basically, baked goods, sauces & condiments. I find that most "gluten-free" recipes are not very good and that I'm much better off at adapting recipes that weren't made to be gluten-free.

I'm so excited about this!

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

After reading others' suggestions, I thought of something else that I appreciate in cookbooks.

Suggestions for variations to a basic recipe, such as with muffins, sweet breads, cakes, etc. - or even sauces or main dishes (different meats using different seasonings, etc.), pizza toppings, fillings for sandwiches/wraps.

Valda

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Not trying to be a hog here, but I didn't see any reference to cold or soft treats like soy, corn, dairy free ice cream and a CHEESE CAKE ... yum ... can you post the recipes here first ? :lol: marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

I love easy to read with pictures!! Some basics like pizza crust and good old fashioned originals!

Good Luck!

Dx and Gluten Free since 1996

ArtGirl - you are in my mind! One of my 'chapters' is called "Themes and Variations".

I definitely have all of the alterna-versions of the favourites like cheesecakes and icecreams.

And every recipe WILL be adaptable (except maybe a few) to free from all of the other allergens, as well as yeast. The reason I say a few is, for example, my yeast breads won't be yeast-free, but there will be yeast-free breads.

To save you guys money, I cannot photo every single page, but I am going to try to photo all of the recipes that would need it (I mean, I won't photo the 'soy' sauce and mustard) because I don't want to sell 35$ cookbooks.

I also 'cook with my eyes', so I am going to do that, as best as I can.

One question - would a slow cooker section be good? I would like to include one, but not if it is as common as I might think.

Thanks!

Gluten-free, Vegan

I agree that you don't need to photo everything. As long as you have some great photos throughout the book. There have been great suggestions and I'm not sure if I have anything to add.

I would definitely like to see some slow cooker recipes.

I'm so glad you are making this cookbook because I try to make everything from scratch also. Packaged foods drive me crazy, except for dry goods like Tinkyada pasta and Que Pasa tortilla chips. I can't wait to see your finished book.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

A slow cooker section would be awsome. Also, I would enjoy a substitution of flours. My daughter doesn't like bean flour so what do use instead when a recipe calls for it? I also agree with the condiments. My daughter is so severly reactive that she gets sick even when things are gluten free. So I make everything at home. Another helpful section would be crackers! My girls love crackers. All kinds of them! Dairy and egg free is a huge help. Especially things like cream cheese and sour cream. My girls have never had a cheese cake and I would live to make one for them. If I can think of something that isn't already posted I'll post agian.

Amy

I just saw a picture of a cream puff. Also Eclaires. These are a weekness.

I appreciate oookbooks that list carb counts. It helps us with managing portions for diabetes/celiac.

Cinamon rolls woul be up there!

Soups. quick casseroles and ditto to slow cooker recipes

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

My girls love crackers. All kinds of them!

YES - crackers. I have not yet found a cracker recipe that didn't call for an egg! :(

Valda

Hypoglycemic

I would love to see recipes to make fresh pasta that can be made into gnocchi, tortellini, ravioli, etc.

And like a few others have said, definately pictures!

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Yes, pictures.. and slow cooker recipes... as many as possible.. would love to throw something together and forget about it all day. Also recipes that call for ingredients that you would just have around the house.. I love all kinds of stuff, but by the end of the week, before payday, I am down to the bare basics around the kitchen and I have no idea what to do! The same ol, same ol, is making me crazy.

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville