This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kc Masterpiece Bbq Sauce?

ptkds

ptkds Community Regular

I got glutened last night, but I am not sure from what. It was 1 of 2 things: the Rotisserie chicken from Walmart, or the KC Masterpeice BBQ sauce. Has anyone been glutened from KC Masterpeice?? I emailed them, and got the response that "it may contain traces of gluten", which to me sounds like they just don't want to give me a straight answer! So please let me know if anyone has had a problem w/ this product!

Thanks,

ptkds

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I think both could have been an issue. Most likely the Rot. Chicken from Walmart. I KNOW that the ones at Sams have wheat in them - Sam Walmart..

KC Masterpiece could have hit you as well. I am not certain.

Suggestion:

Tyson Roasted Whole Chicken was gluten free the last that I checked and very good, easy and fast.

Sweet Baby Ray's is the best off the rack BBQ Sauce that I have ever had. I never doctor it up, it's good as it is.

mac3 Apprentice

We quit using most bbq sauces since most of the companies told us that even if the sauce's ingredients are gluten-free, they are still all prepared on the same line as their wheat products. We only buy bbq sauce that states "gluten free."

BFreeman Explorer
I got glutened last night, but I am not sure from what. It was 1 of 2 things: the Rotisserie chicken from Walmart, or the KC Masterpeice BBQ sauce. Has anyone been glutened from KC Masterpeice?? I emailed them, and got the response that "it may contain traces of gluten", which to me sounds like they just don't want to give me a straight answer! So please let me know if anyone has had a problem w/ this product!

Thanks,

ptkds

Look at the heater stand the Wal-Mart rotisserie chickens sit on. The one in our Wal-Mart has a sticker thing on it that says the chickens may come in contact with certain allergens so I never buy those. I also think the Tyson heat-and-eat ones are good.

BF

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

KC Masterpiece BBQ Suace is NOT gluten free. We e-mailed the company a couple of months ago to find that our families favorite sauce is off limits.

• 9 months later...
dsaltzm Newbie

Is it just the vinegar that makes BBQ sauce not Gluten Free? If I have BBQ chicken in a restaurant and they tell me that there is no vinegar in it and they do not put any kind of breading on the chicken is there anything else I should be watching out for?

Thank you!

ptkds Community Regular

Vinegar is usually fine, unless it is Malt vinegar.

What usually makes a BBQ sauce unsafe is the flavorings. CC is also a big issue, too. KC Masterpiece is not safe. We use Kraft or Cattlemens now.

ptkds

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom23boys Contributor
I think both could have been an issue. Most likely the Rot. Chicken from Walmart. I KNOW that the ones at Sams have wheat in them - Sam Walmart..

I know the chicken at our Walmart has wheat (and I am assuming they use the same recipe at all places).

Rosebud710 Apprentice

Now I thought distilled vinegar contains wheat so that's why I stay away from most bbq sauces and mayonnaises.

Offthegrid Explorer

I just wanted to add that Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce is also NOT gluten-free. I had it a few times based on reading the label, and a later e-mail to Heinz revealed that it's not on their list of gluten-free items. Two of the marinaders are, however.

JustMe75 Enthusiast
I just wanted to add that Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce is also NOT gluten-free. I had it a few times based on reading the label, and a later e-mail to Heinz revealed that it's not on their list of gluten-free items. Two of the marinaders are, however.

I just got an email from Heinz with a list of their gluten free products. They also sent a recipe for a gluten-free bar b que sauce. I had emailed them about Ore Ida potatoes and found out they are part of Heinz.

FYI the new Ore Ida Roasted potatoes are NOT gluten free. I stupidly ate them yesterday (I looked at their online list but thought because they were new they just weren't on there yet. I emailed them after I ate them and got sick) and am still in bed suffering! :(

Thank you for your interest in Heinz Products. We certainly understand

how difficult it can be to find foods that meet the requirements of a

restricted diet.

As you requested, the following is a listing of all of our products

that do NOT have gluten containing ingredients. If the product you asked

about is not on this list, then it does have gluten containing

ingredients.

HEINZ PRODUCTS:

Heinz Ketchup (All Varieties)

Heinz Organic Ketchup

Heinz One Carb Ketchup

Heinz No Sodium Added Ketchup

Heinz Hot & Spicy Kick'rs

Lea & Perrins Products-- All Varieties

Jack Daniel's EZ Marinader -- Teriyaki Variety

Jack Daniel's EZ Marinader -- Garlic & Herb Variety

Distilled White Vinegar

Red Wine Vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple Cider Flavored Vinegar

CLASSICO PASTA SAUCES:

All Classico Pasta Sauces

TGI FRIDAY'S SALSA:

Both Mild and Medium Salsa in 16-ounce jar

DELIMEX PRODUCTS:

UPC CODE: PRODUCT NAME:

1769600012 Taquitos, 36 ct. Delimex Chicken

1769600018 Tamales, 12 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600019 Tamales, 12 ct. Delimex Chicken & Cheese

1769600020 Taquitos, 24 ct. Smart & Final Beef

1769600024 Tamales, 6 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600028 Taquitos, 25 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600029 Taquitos, 25 ct. Delimex Chicken

1769600048 Taquitos, 36 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600095 Taquitos, 12 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600096 Taquitos, 12 ct. Delimex Chicken

1769600133 Taquitos, 22 ct. Schwan's Beef w/ Salsa

1769600155 Tamales, 15 ct. Costco Beef

1769600159 Tamales, 20 ct. Delimex Beef, Costco

1769600180 Taquitos, 60 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600186 Taquitos, 60 ct. Sam's Club Beef

1769600206 Tamales, 2 ct. Trader Joe's Beef

1769600207 Tamales, 2 ct. Trader Joe's Chicken & Cheese

1769600214 Taquitos, 25 ct. Delimex 3-Cheese

1769600222 Tamales, 6 ct. Schwan's Beef

1769600481 Taquitos, 36 ct. Delimex Beef (Mexico Import)

1769600500 Taquitos, Delimex Beef / Deli-Pak

1769600505 Taquitos, Mini, 40 ct. Beef, Snacker Tray w/ salsa

1769600554 Tamales, Cheese Deli Bulk Pack

1769600555 Tamales, Chicken Deli Bulk Pack

1769600556 Tamales, Beef Deli Bulk Pack

1769600565 Tamales, 20 ct.Beef, Sams Club

1769600684 Taquitos, 66 ct. Costco Beef

1769600685 Taquitos, 66 ct. Costco Chicken

1769601208 Tamales, 2 ct. Trader Joe's Cheese & Green Chiles

ORE-IDA PRODUCTS:

UPC CODE: PRODUCT NAME:

13120XXXXX- ALL VARIETIES of Ore-Ida

Lisa Mentor
Now I thought distilled vinegar contains wheat so that's why I stay away from most bbq sauces and mayonnaises.

Most vinegars are considered gluten free because they have been distilled and the gluten protein is removed during the process. MALT VINEGAR in NOT SAFE.

My personal favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sause - the best in the world.

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

well guys confusion here :

When my son was dx'd at the age of 13 now 18 we were told that all ketchup was forbidin do to vinegar, did u know that almost all Great Value products from Wal-Mart are gluten free and states it on the bottle.

We use there ketchup, mustard and alomst everything they make that's gluten free. I use the bacon bites daily for loaded potatoes and topping for replacing the bacon flavor. And Hellman's mayonase states on their label as gluten-free also, I have used it to make home made dressing the one with dry ranch from Hidden valley is gluten-free with gluten-free milk is awsome :) Check out the Great Value brands at your Wal-Mart and see how much they really have that's gluten-free even their brewed tea is :0 And they r cheaper then the health food stores!

Good Luck Happy Holidays !

Bea

Johnny Cool Rookie
Most vinegars are considered gluten free because they have been distilled and the gluten protein is removed during the process. MALT VINEGAR in NOT SAFE.

My personal favorite is Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sause - the best in the world.

I was surprised to read this, because the list I got from the doctor said no sauces whatsoever, and I LOVE SBR!!!! So I emailed them, and got a reply right away, and it's SAFE!! YAY!!!!!! :lol:

larry mac Enthusiast
I know the chicken at our Walmart has wheat (and I am assuming they use the same recipe at all places).

I've never noticed any wheat listed in the ingredients of Walmarts chickens. But, they always made me feel slightly ill. Still, I don't think it's necessarily wheat. They are heavily marinated with tenderizers and other chemicals. I can readily taste it and can almost feel the slimeiness of the meat. I suspect we Celiacs can get ill without ingesting gluten, say from eating fried foods when we aren't used to it.

Just one of the rare instances where I avoid something even though it doesn't say "wheat" in it. Sometimes ya have to go with what works for ya.

best regards, lm

p.s., hey mg :)

arc Newbie

I have most definitely reacted to KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Usually have good luck with the Kraft BBQ sauces (though the BBQ snobs might turn up their noses :P ).

• 2 years later...
conniebky Collaborator

I just went and bought a bottle of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce and, like I always do, went online and looked it up.

Guess what?

I clicked on the first link and it brought me here! Yeah, so good thing I saved my receipt, huh? B)

StephanieGF Rookie

I just went and bought a bottle of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce and, like I always do, went online and looked it up.

Guess what?

I clicked on the first link and it brought me here! Yeah, so good thing I saved my receipt, huh? B)

Just an FYI, this thread is from 2007, it is possible that the formula has changed, it might be okay now? You might want to call if you don't see any obvious gluten on the bottle?

Lisa Mentor

What are the ingredients? The simple answer is there. :D

conniebky Collaborator

tomato puree, HF corn syrup, molasses, honey, sugar, vinegar, spices.... etc.

Lisa Mentor

tomato puree, HF corn syrup, molasses, honey, sugar, vinegar, spices.... etc.

No gluten there. It's doubtful that barley, malt or rye would be in "spices". BBQ sauce is not one I worry about "hidden"....but then, I don't find much "hidden" anyway.

Open Original Shared Link

Do KC Masterpiece® Barbecue Sauces contain allergens?

All KC Masterpiece® products are labeled in accordance with the FDA food labeling requirements, including the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (Title II of Public Law 108-282) which requires foods to be labeled that contain the major food allergens: milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soybeans. Although many flavors of KC Masterpiece® Sauce do not contain these ingredients, refer to the ingredients statement on the back of each KC Masterpiece® product to find this declaration.

• 2 months later...
Doup Newbie

I've more or less given up on store purchased sauces and now make my own. Since going gluten-free I'm now a fairly good cook. BBQ sauce is fairly easy, even from scratch.

Lots of recipes suggest using ketchup as a base, but I'm not a fan of the flavor. I make a tomato sauce then start adding "A little of this, a little of that" then add some liquid smoke, molasses & a tiny bit of vinegar. If I'm feeling froggy I'll add some smoked jalapenos or habanero peppers to add some kick (My wife prefers I add those after I jar the first 2/3's and then I'll let the sauce simmer some more)

Only problem with making my own BBQ sauce is I do it "low and slow" and it makes the entire house just smell way too good and my stomach grumbles in protest as it knows it'll be hours before it gets any =)

• 4 weeks later...
momofglutenfreeson Newbie

I wrote kc masterpiece the other day because we use it alot. my son was diagnosed a week ago and i needed to know. they do put xanthan gum in it which is a substitute for gluten-free products thats safe for celiac disease.

Thank you for contacting us.

The FDA requires that we list the following allergens on our ingredient labels:

1. Egg

2. Soybean (excluding high refined oil)

3. Dairy

4. Peanut

5. Wheat (barley, rye, oats, or any source of gluten)

6. Fish

7. Crustacean

8. Tree Nut

For the most accurate source of information, please check the back of the ingredient panel for every purchase as ingredients may change. Additionally, the term "Natural Flavor" is proprietary to our formula however, if any of the allergens listed above were present in the natural flavors it would be called out specifically on the ingredient panel. Further, none of our products are manufactured on dedicated lines.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Tracy Wise

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

Cooking Tip: Generally, we recommend waiting until the last few minutes of cooking to add Barbeque Sauce. Putting the sauce on too early may cause it to burn.

MelindaLee Contributor

I just realized the original was old. But, I did find this like on Heinz web site just now.

• 3 years later...
kareng Grand Master

I see people looking at this all the time, and some of the info on this thread is incorrect about gluten. so I thought I would provide the updated info.

Do KC Masterpiece® products contain gluten?

Most of our products do not contain gluten. Products and ingredients made from grains containing gluten—such as wheat, rye and barley—will be clearly listed in the ingredient statement on the package label.

Are KC Masterpiece® products labeled "Gluten Free"?

Only products that have been verified to be gluten free will have a “Gluten Free” statement. However, not all products that are gluten free will have this statement while we are in the process of updating our labels. Please refer to the ingredient statement on package labels or contact us for clarification.

Do you provide a list of products that are gluten free?

We are always striving to improve our products’ quality and nutritional value and ingredient sourcing may change over time. For that reason, we do not provide gluten free product lists as they could quickly become outdated. The most up-to-date product information is on the package the product is purchased in.

How do you ensure your products are gluten free?

We have a program in place to support the use of the “Gluten Free” statement. Products listed as “Gluten Free” undergo scheduled testing. All suppliers provide assurance that there are no ingredients that contain or are derived from gluten-containing grains. Our products are manufactured in facilities with stringent allergen control programs to prevent cross contamination.

Archived