This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Strawberry Time

bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl Contributor

Strawberry time is here and I was wondering if you could share your favorite gluten free strawberry dessert recipe.

Thanks,

Gail

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tabdegner Apprentice
Strawberry time is here and I was wondering if you could share your favorite gluten free strawberry dessert recipe.

Thanks,

Gail

We just picked strawberries on Sunday and ended up with 15 pounds!!! I made 3 batches of jam 2 pies, and froze the rest.

Here's our favorite pie recipie:

1 gluten-free pie crust, baked and cooled

2-3 cups washed, chopped strawberries

2/3c. sugar (or splenda)

1 small sugar free package of strawberry jello

2 Tbsp. cornstarch

1c. water

Mix together sugar, water, and cornstarch in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in jello until dissolved. Pour jello mixture over strawberries and stir well. Pour into gluten-free pie crust and refrigerate. Serve w/cool whip.

This is our FAVORITE strawberry pie. Since I am fairly new to gluten-free baking and didn't have a gluten-free pie crust yet, I just poured the mixture into a pie pan with no crust. It sets quite well and was still just as good, even with no crust.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I use the Gluten Free Pantry's angel food cake mix, and then spread fresh strawberries and whipped cream on top.

lpellegr Collaborator

Another version of strawberry pie. I use the vinegar pie crust recipe from the Gluten-free Gourmet cookbook.

Wash and hull 1 qt of berries. Dry them, then set the nicest ones point up in the baked pie crust until it is full.

Heat 3/4 c sugar (I cut it to 1/2 c if the berries are nice and ripe) in 1/2 c sugar until the sugar is all dissolved.

Crush 1 c of the remaining berries and add to the sugar/water. Mix 1-1/2 T cornstarch with 2 T water and add to the water mix. Cook, stirring constantly, until the whole thing turns clear red. Let cool. Pour this over the berries in the crust and let it cool thoroughly until it sets.

If you want to freeze berries, wash, hull and cut them into the size you want, then mix with sugar in the ratio 8 parts berries to 1 part sugar, so for 4 c berries you need 1/2 c sugar, 8 c needs 1 c sugar, etc. Mix well, then let sit for a while - the sugar will draw the juice out of the berries and make a kind of sauce. Spoon into bags or containers for freezing. Use for topping cake or yogurt.

tarnalberry Community Regular

we just planted a bunch of strawberries in our garden today!

while my absolute favorite way to eat strawberries is straight up, cool from the fridge, dipping them in chocolate pudding is good too. :)

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

mmm... fresh strawberies.. little bit a sugar, cream or soymilk or plain vanilla ice cream.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

made a super yummy strawberry-rhubarb pie a couple weeks ago! will have to post recipe and pics :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

If you have too many strawberries or just want to save some for winter months when strawberries are very expensive, consider 'flash' freezing them. Wash, cap and drain the strawberries in a colander. Spray a cooky sheet with Pam or lightly oil the pan. Place each strawberry stem (removed) side down on the sheet, so they stand up. Try to keep each berry separate or not touching the others. Place in the freezer for at least an hour or until the strawberries are frozen. Then use a spatula or pancake flipper utensil to loosen the berries and place them in a ziploc freezer bag. When you want strawberries, you can thaw out as many as you need for a recipe. You can just follow the recipe for sugar, because you didn't add any to the strawberries. Also flash freezing keeps strawberries much firmer, unlike sugar coating them. Of course if you have cane sugar sensitivity or hypoglycemia, you can enjoy sugar free strawberries later.

BURDEE

jkmunchkin Rising Star

This definately doesn't qualify as a recipe, but it's really great. I take blueberries and strawberries and mix them with vanilla pudding. Mmmmmmmmm!!

• 4 weeks later...
juliela Rookie

Thanks,

Gail

STRAWBERRY TORTE

1 cup gluten-free flour Bob's Red Mill All Purpose or Beth's gluten-free Pantry All-Purpose

Karen B. Explorer

Pamela's pancake and baking mix muffin recipe using pureed strawberries for the fruit and the water called for in the recipe on the package. I made these for my Mom for Mom's day and she was impressed with how good they were.

I second the previous comment about freezing, I used frozen (and thawed) strawberries in the muffins.

You've already considered strawberry pancakes? Also, consider chocolate cake iced with Cool Whip and sliced strawberries in the middle and on top. You probably won't have to worry about many leftovers.

I haven't tried this but it might be interesting -- a strawberry upside down cake?

Archived