Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheri A

Carrot Cake?

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for carrot cake? It's my dh's birthday and I'd like to make a cake that gluten-free and dairy free for my dd to eat too. I can sub for a few eggs, but all the recipes I've looked at have like 4 eggs and/or have buttermilk in them. Thanks!

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is the recipe that MIL uses to make gluten-free Carrot Cake. It does have eggs in the cake and dairy in the frosting, but maybe you could work that out. It really is a fantastic cake.

Flour mix (this makes 2.5 cups):

1 1/4 cups white rice

1/2 cup potato starch flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/8 cup cornstarch

1/8 cup brown rice

Ingredients

2 cups gluten-free flour mix

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinnamon

3/4 tsp salt

1 tsp guar gum

5 large eggs

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups oil

3 cups grated carrots (about 1 to 1.5 lbs of carrots to start with)

1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (1 6-oz bag of walnut chips equals 1 1/3 cups).

Directions

1. In a mixer bowl, mix together eggs and sugar on medium speed for about 1.5 minutes. Add oil and mix completely.

2. In a separate bowl or container, wisk together dry ingredients, combining them well.

3. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer bowl and beat on medium speed for about a minute. Add the grated carrots and nuts. Mix until they are well incorporated.

4. Pour into two 9" cake rounds. Bake at 325 for about 40-45 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cream Cheese Icing: This will ice two rounds, layered as a cake

Ingredients

16 oz cream cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

If you can find one, I use Namaste spice cake mix and add a cup of shredded carrots, a cup of golden raisins, and half a cup of chopped pecans, and it's wonderful. We actually had one for my birthday yesterday and out of 9 people I am the only one gluten-free and they all loved the cake.

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

I just bought a new Carol Fenster cookbook. One of the things I want to try first is the carrot cake. I'm hoping it is really good...if it is, I'll post it for you. I have made her Zuchinni muffins, and oh my goodness, they were delicious! :)

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Thanks for the recipe and ideas! I ended up using the recipe from Incredible, Edible Gluten Free Cookbook, halved the recipe and made cupcakes for her. I've had so many cake flops that I didn't want to waste. She liked it a lot last night. We'll see if she goes for any today. That's usually my real test.

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

I tried the one from the recipes here at celiac.com and it totally fooled a party full of gluten eaters. :) They kept asking me why I was eating the cake b/c it was so good! LOL :D I think it was Carrot Cake #3....search the recipes here (if you haven't tried something else already).

I posted my TNT recipe before I saw your post, you should try it, its fantastic!

~Betty

I just bought a new Carol Fenster cookbook. One of the things I want to try first is the carrot cake. I'm hoping it is really good...if it is, I'll post it for you. I have made her Zuchinni muffins, and oh my goodness, they were delicious! :)

She made her carrot cake at the Gluten Free Summit and it was FANTASTIC!!!!

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....