Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheri A

Carrot Cake?

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for carrot cake? It's my dh's birthday and I'd like to make a cake that gluten-free and dairy free for my dd to eat too. I can sub for a few eggs, but all the recipes I've looked at have like 4 eggs and/or have buttermilk in them. Thanks!

This is the recipe that MIL uses to make gluten-free Carrot Cake. It does have eggs in the cake and dairy in the frosting, but maybe you could work that out. It really is a fantastic cake.

Flour mix (this makes 2.5 cups):

1 1/4 cups white rice

1/2 cup potato starch flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/8 cup cornstarch

1/8 cup brown rice

Ingredients

2 cups gluten-free flour mix

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinnamon

3/4 tsp salt

1 tsp guar gum

5 large eggs

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups oil

3 cups grated carrots (about 1 to 1.5 lbs of carrots to start with)

1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (1 6-oz bag of walnut chips equals 1 1/3 cups).

Directions

1. In a mixer bowl, mix together eggs and sugar on medium speed for about 1.5 minutes. Add oil and mix completely.

2. In a separate bowl or container, wisk together dry ingredients, combining them well.

3. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer bowl and beat on medium speed for about a minute. Add the grated carrots and nuts. Mix until they are well incorporated.

4. Pour into two 9" cake rounds. Bake at 325 for about 40-45 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cream Cheese Icing: This will ice two rounds, layered as a cake

Ingredients

16 oz cream cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese

If you can find one, I use Namaste spice cake mix and add a cup of shredded carrots, a cup of golden raisins, and half a cup of chopped pecans, and it's wonderful. We actually had one for my birthday yesterday and out of 9 people I am the only one gluten-free and they all loved the cake.

I just bought a new Carol Fenster cookbook. One of the things I want to try first is the carrot cake. I'm hoping it is really good...if it is, I'll post it for you. I have made her Zuchinni muffins, and oh my goodness, they were delicious! :)

Thanks for the recipe and ideas! I ended up using the recipe from Incredible, Edible Gluten Free Cookbook, halved the recipe and made cupcakes for her. I've had so many cake flops that I didn't want to waste. She liked it a lot last night. We'll see if she goes for any today. That's usually my real test.

I tried the one from the recipes here at celiac.com and it totally fooled a party full of gluten eaters. :) They kept asking me why I was eating the cake b/c it was so good! LOL :D I think it was Carrot Cake #3....search the recipes here (if you haven't tried something else already).

I just bought a new Carol Fenster cookbook. One of the things I want to try first is the carrot cake. I'm hoping it is really good...if it is, I'll post it for you. I have made her Zuchinni muffins, and oh my goodness, they were delicious! :)

She made her carrot cake at the Gluten Free Summit and it was FANTASTIC!!!!