Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965kid

4 Weeks And I Am Worse Than Ever Today.

Hi, I am so glad to have found this board.

I was diagnosed a month or so ago and came here for advise. I got the best advise and am very grateful.

One of the tidbits I got was to avoid dairy for 2 months.

Well, I must say that it took a good 3 weeks of OCD type persistence to "get" the gluten free thing, so I just started the dairy free thing last week. And I must say, I did great. My poop was almost normal. At least it was as normal as I ever remember it being.

Then, last night I had a bowl of ice cream!

This morning, boom! Full blown Big D, and a horrible belly ache! Its the worst I could imagine! Its bad.

And mind you, I have had so called (IBS, big D) all my life (42 years old).

So I have figured out I have a Lactose intolerance too?

But I ate Doritos (Spicy Nacho, deemed safe) for the last 4 days with no problems. Actually its the best I have felt so far.

The Doritos say the have Whey in them. But they didnt seem to bother me.

My question:

Could I eat small amounts of Whey, as would be found in Frozen dinners, soups, and flavored chips, without a problem, and just stay away from the obvious?

I mean, I know cheese, milk, and the like are out, but should I worry about a little Whey in an item or two?

Could I have New England Clam Chowder for instance? (Progresso, Gluten Free)

Im am positive the Ice Cream caused this gut problem I am experiencing. But should I stay from Dairy forever too?

Sorry, must cut this short, as I am headed back to the bathroom for the 6th time today! :rolleyes:

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I am so glad to have found this board.

I was diagnosed a month or so ago and came here for advise. I got the best advise and am very grateful.

One of the tidbits I got was to avoid dairy for 2 months.

Well, I must say that it took a good 3 weeks of OCD type persistence to "get" the gluten free thing, so I just started the dairy free thing last week. And I must say, I did great. My poop was almost normal. At least it was as normal as I ever remember it being.

Then, last night I had a bowl of ice cream!

This morning, boom! Full blown Big D, and a horrible belly ache! Its the worst I could imagine! Its bad.

And mind you, I have had so called (IBS, big D) all my life (42 years old).

So I have figured out I have a Lactose intolerance too?

But I ate Doritos (Spicy Nacho, deemed safe) for the last 4 days with no problems. Actually its the best I have felt so far.

The Doritos say the have Whey in them. But they didnt seem to bother me.

My question:

Could I eat small amounts of Whey, as would be found in Frozen dinners, soups, and flavored chips, without a problem, and just stay away from the obvious?

I mean, I know cheese, milk, and the like are out, but should I worry about a little Whey in an item or two?

Could I have New England Clam Chowder for instance? (Progresso, Gluten Free)

Im am positive the Ice Cream caused this gut problem I am experiencing. But should I stay from Dairy forever too?

Sorry, must cut this short, as I am headed back to the bathroom for the 6th time today! :rolleyes:

Hi Kid,

If you're sure that the ice cream was gluten free (and nothing else had gluten) then yes, it was probably the ice cream. Sometimes I can eat it, sometimes I can't. I would think the whey might be the same thing. If it's just a little bit (that's different from a little bit of gluten) it might be ok for some people.

I would advise against trying the chowder.

I kept dairy free (except some hard cheese and some milk in my morning tea) for about 7-8 months. Now I'm ok except with ice cream and some soft cheeses, though I'm ok with milk in baked goods and such. I have not yet tried a glass of milk.

Glad you're ok otherwise and that the OCD has been helpful! ;)

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Join eNewsletter

It does sound like you might be (possibly temporarily) lactose intolerant right now. That's not uncommon in recently diagnosed celiacs.

There is a lot of lactose in milk and ice cream, but less in for instance yoghurt, and very little in hard cheese. The chips were probably ok because whey is a different component of milk than lactose.

You might be ok with butter and hard cheese, and you could try yoghurt in a month or two, and save ice cream and milk for later when you've healed more.

Pauliina

Join eNewsletter

Just a note that it's possible to be casein intolerant. Casein is a protein in milk. You could try Lactaid products, and see if you get sick? I personally cannot use Lactaid products, which is a bummer because Lactaid makes a delicious chocolate milk and cottage cheese.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

Join eNewsletter

It does sound like you have lactose issues right now, you just described how I felt after my last glutening when I was lactose intolerant for a week. If that's the case, then the whey wouldn't bother you. It's probably best to lay off anything with lactose, but if you MUST, take a lactase pill.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

Could be lactose intolerant, in which case you might find some forms of milk you can tolerate. Or could be casein intolerant, in which case you'll have to avoid all milk. If lactose intolerant, this may resolve eventually.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter