Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rpf1007

Tinkyada Pasta In Soup?

I was wondering if anyone was tried the Tinkyada pasta in soup? When I first went gluten-free- I made a big patch of veggie soup and used rice pasta- which did not hold up. I turned my back and all the liquid was gone and the pasta fell apart. The tinkyada pasta is so much more like the real thing..and seems a little tougher but I wasn't sure it would survive in soup. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Rachel

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have not tried Tinkyada in soup, but Mrs. Leepers Alphabet pasta works very well.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I haven't tried it either, but if you use it, I would undercook it a little to account for the extra liquid it will absorb.

Ancient harvest corn/quinoa pasta is also good in soup as it's a bit hardier.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

I use it fairly often in soups or stews. the trick is to cook it in a different pot and have it ready to add to the soup just before serving. I also find that I dont cook it as long as it says and rinse it quickly with warm water before adding it to the soup.

Good luck

I was wondering if anyone was tried the Tinkyada pasta in soup? When I first went gluten-free- I made a big patch of veggie soup and used rice pasta- which did not hold up. I turned my back and all the liquid was gone and the pasta fell apart. The tinkyada pasta is so much more like the real thing..and seems a little tougher but I wasn't sure it would survive in soup. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Rachel

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks so much for all the advice!

Have you tried freezing the soup after you make it...how does it turn out when defrosted and re-heated? I ask because that is what I used to do with normal pasta. I usually make a big batch at a time to save time later on. Thanks again.

Rachel

Join eNewsletter

It works for me!!! I have my own recipe for soup, i dont even know what you'd call it haha. Something I created off the top of my head. And throwing the noodles in there has held it together good.

Tinkyada is the only pasta I buy, so I could be biased ;)

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

Join eNewsletter

I use the tinkyada in soups all the timer. If I am going to freeze the soup - I take what I am going to freeze before I add any pasta.... Then when I thaw the soup and reheat it - I add the pasta at that time. I have found it loses texture once frozen.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Join eNewsletter

I have used the glutino egg-type noodles in soup, i thought they were as good if not better then what i usually used - they keep their texture very nicely and taste great!

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Join eNewsletter

Mrs. Leepers alphabet noodles have changed, and not for the better. The old ones looked just like regular alphabet noodles, but I bought a case of them from Amazon because I couldn't find them in stores any more, and the noodles are much bigger and break up into tiny pieces once you stir the soup. At that price I'll keep using them, but I'll think bad thoughts about Mrs. Leeper when I do.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Join eNewsletter

Mrs. Leepers alphabet noodles have changed, and not for the better. The old ones looked just like regular alphabet noodles, but I bought a case of them from Amazon because I couldn't find them in stores any more, and the noodles are much bigger and break up into tiny pieces once you stir the soup. At that price I'll keep using them, but I'll think bad thoughts about Mrs. Leeper when I do.

Oh no--that's not good to hear....

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

I have used the glutino egg-type noodles in soup, i thought they were as good if not better then what i usually used - they keep their texture very nicely and taste great!

I like this too for a change.

I always cook more spag than needed.

put in snack storage bags and freeze.

i defrost the frozen soup. nuke the frozen pasta for 15 seconds and add to the soup and it holds it's texture and holds up well.

judy

Judy in Southern CA

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter