Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAHM2one

Natural Flavorings And Modified Food Starch

I am starting my gluten free diet tomorrow, whether my test is back or not. My doctors won't help me so I am going to have to just do my own test run and see if I feel better. I am so confused about the natural flavorings in food and modified food startch. Oh do I know if these foods are safe or not safe??

Please help me understand this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am starting my gluten free diet tomorrow, whether my test is back or not. My doctors won't help me so I am going to have to just do my own test run and see if I feel better. I am so confused about the natural flavorings in food and modified food startch. Oh do I know if these foods are safe or not safe??

Please help me understand this!

Welcome!

OK, here's the scoop...

Modified Food Starch, in the US, is generally derived from corn. Should it be derived from wheat, by law, it will be listed as Modified Food Starch (wheat) or wheat will be listed on the ingredient listing.

Natural Flavors can hide gluten. Many time it would be wise to call the company to see if barley, rye or malt is an ingredient. Wheat is one of the eight allergins and must be listed by law.

Here is a listing of companies who will clearly list ALL forms of gluten and we like to support those who do:

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Modified Food Starch will have to have any forbidden ingredients called out on the label. I have never seen barley in Modified Food Starch, only wheat. Wheat is one of the top 8 allergens that must be called out on a label by law. Usually MFS is derived from corn, wheat or potato.

Natural flavors are more difficult. Barley malt and malt flavoring are frequently used in natural flavors and do NOT have to be called out on the label. There are a number of companies that make it a practice not to hide ingredients, so I tend to use those brands over ones I can't verify.

Here is a list of companies that won't hide gluten:

Act II

Alexia

Aunt Nelly

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

Welcome!

OK, here's the scoop...

Modified Food Starch, in the US, is generally derived from corn. Should it be derived from wheat, by law, it will be listed as Modified Food Starch (wheat) or wheat will be listed on the ingredient listing.

Natural Flavors can hide gluten. Many time it would be wise to call the company to see if barley, rye or malt is an ingredient. Wheat is one of the eight allergins and must be listed by law.

Here is a listing of companies who will clearly list ALL forms of gluten and we like to support those who do:

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

Hope this helps.

Lisa,

We must have been posting at the same time! LOL!

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

Lisa,

We must have been posting at the same time! LOL!

Brilliant Minds! ;)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien