This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Miracle Whip Light Contain Gluten?

climbmtwhitney

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hello!

I've researched this all morning but can't find a current answer. Is Kraft Miracle Whip LIGHT gluten free? Kraft lists the REGULAR as gluten-free, but doesn't list the LIGHT. Does anyone know??? I've only been diagnosed 6 weeks and I've stopped progressing. It coincides with figuring out that Miracle Whip Light tastes great on my chicken! So know I'm wondering if I've really screwed up! :o I've contacted Kraft, but no response yet. Any clue?

Thanks!

Sonya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Hello!

I've researched this all morning but can't find a current answer. Is Kraft Miracle Whip LIGHT gluten free? Kraft lists the REGULAR as gluten-free, but doesn't list the LIGHT. Does anyone know??? I've only been diagnosed 6 weeks and I've stopped progressing. It coincides with figuring out that Miracle Whip Light tastes great on my chicken! So know I'm wondering if I've really screwed up! :o I've contacted Kraft, but no response yet. Any clue?

Thanks!

Sonya

Kraft's policy is to always list all forms of gluten. If wheat, barely, malt or rye are not clearly listed on the ingredient listing or allergen statement, it is gluten free.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

On the other hand, Miracle Whip Light has never been gluten free, so I would not trust it. If you read in the forums, you will find it has always contained gluten.

Kraft says it always tells you the ingredients...why do M&M's, Snickers, Oreo cookies (Nabisco is a division of Kraft), some Ritz Crackers...all contain melamine??? That's an ingredient, and we were not told about it.

I never did trust Kraft totally, and now I know I won't again!

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

"On the other hand, Miracle Whip Light has never been gluten free, so I would not trust it. If you read in the forums, you will find it has always contained gluten."

That's my concern. Kraft carefully lists all the "versions" of their gluten-free products. They include "regular", "light", and "free" for condiments. And, the Miracle Whip only says "regular". Hmmmm. Then I looked it up and other folks on the web said that the "light" variety wasn't gluten free, but that was ancient info. Obviously, I won't use it anymore if I'm not sure. But, being new at this I was REALLY hoping to find out if it's stalled my healing since I eat it daily. And, my progress has definitely gone backward. Has anybody been glutened by it???

Thanks for everyone's responses!

Sonya

ArtGirl Enthusiast
...I've stopped progressing. It coincides with figuring out that Miracle Whip Light tastes great on my chicken!

I think you have your answer.

Unless, of course, there's another ingredient in the product that's giving you symptoms.

My general policy is to stick with products that actually say "gluten free" unless I can get a response from the company - or someone on this forum has done so and posted the reply.

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Why not just try the Miracle Whip and loose the "Lite". I find it difficult to believe that Miracle Whip is gluten free, but the "Lite" version is not.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
I find it difficult to believe that Miracle Whip is gluten free, but the "Lite" version is not.

I found this difficult to believe too, yet my sister, who is a celiac, and a dietician, called and asked, was told that Miracle Whip Light definitely contains gluten. She doesn't eat it, and I believe her when she says it contains gluten!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Here is Kraft's labeling policy Open Original Shared Link

What 'list' are you referring to?

"We do not issue letters/lists regarding this subject because letters are only as good as the day they are written."

lovegrov Collaborator

There is NO Kraft list. There hasn't been for many, many, many years. Any "list" would be at last 7 years old, maybe a decade.

It's very simple. Read the ingredients. No wheat, rye or barley, it's gluten-free. Wheat, rye or barley is listed, it's not gluten-free. Kraft was one of the first to do this and one of the first to regularly list allergens.

darlindeb says:

"Kraft says it always tells you the ingredients...why do M&M's, Snickers, Oreo cookies (Nabisco is a division of Kraft), some Ritz Crackers...all contain melamine??? That's an ingredient, and we were not told about it. "

This is what Kraft says:

"Kraft does not use Chinese milk ingredients in US products or in any products made outside of China. Of the products we make in China, some do contain low levels of milk ingredients from that country. And we

darlindeb25 Collaborator
This is what Kraft says:

"Kraft does not use Chinese milk ingredients in US products or in any products made outside of China. Of the products we make in China, some do contain low levels of milk ingredients from that country. And we

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I stopped using the stuff altogether and buy wegmans light mayo now, which is labeled gluten-free. Helmans mayo's also list gluten-free but thier light versions contain phosporic acid, stuff I stay away from. Light miricle whip also has sucralose- gross!!

lovegrov Collaborator

"I want to see a link, just as you are always telling us! You need to prove your points too."

Where's the link? Why, it's at Kraft's consumer alert page! Imagine that!

Now, let's take a look at the story you provided.

"The test results raise the number of known melamine-tainted food products imported to South Korea from China to 10."

Let's see now, South Korea. Hmmm, last time I looked, this was the USA. And lo and behold the Kraft statement says those products that are made in China do NOT COME TO THE U.S. Again, China-made products containing milk do NOT come to the U.S.

The FDA has not issued any warnings. Kraft says those products don't come to the U.S. So please explain again why you think we are eating melamine-tainted products by Kraft. And this time please provide a link showing that those products are indeed reaching the U.S. or Europe.

BTW, I looked at the ingredients for Miracle Whip Lite. No wheat, rye or barley. Of course I can't guarantee anything about contamination, but as formulated, it's meant to be gluten-free.

richard

psawyer Proficient

"Melamine was found in Snickers Peanut Funsize and M&Ms chocolate milk made by Mars, as well as KitKat wafers made by Nestle and a biscuit manufactured by Lotte Confectionery Co., the Food and Drug Administration said in a statement Saturday."

None of these products are made by Kraft. How is this relevant?

darlindeb25 Collaborator
Let's see now, South Korea. Hmmm, last time I looked, this was the USA. And lo and behold the Kraft statement says those products that are made in China do NOT COME TO THE U.S. Again, China-made products containing milk do NOT come to the U.S.

The FDA has not issued any warnings. Kraft says those products don't come to the U.S. So please explain again why you think we are eating melamine-tainted products by Kraft. And this time please provide a link showing that those products are indeed reaching the U.S. or Europe.

Sarcasm does not become you Richard. The Associated Press says it has come to the USA. I have never believed Kraft to be as nice as you want everyone to believe they are. Kraft also will say what it wants us to hear, of course, they are not going to tell us to stop buying their product. Read the newspapers yourself, I provided the links needed, if you want to hide your head in the sand, that's your problem. They have already said the FDA is researching all this...it takes time, doesn't happen overnight, just like it didn't happen overnight tainting all these foods and killing little babies.

PSawyer

"Melamine was found in Snickers Peanut Funsize and M&Ms chocolate milk made by Mars, as well as KitKat wafers made by Nestle and a biscuit manufactured by Lotte Confectionery Co., the Food and Drug Administration said in a statement Saturday."

None of these products are made by Kraft. How is this relevant?

Snickers and M&M's are made by Mars, a division of Kraft. Look it up, just as Nabisco is a division of Kraft. I had not heard about the KitKats yet. Anyways, Mars and Nabisco are Kraft...now do you see why it's relevant?

psawyer Proficient
Snickers and M&M's are made by Mars, a division of Kraft. Look it up, just as Nabisco is a division of Kraft. I had not heard about the KitKats yet. Anyways, Mars and Nabisco are Kraft...now do you see why it's relevant?

Open Original Shared Link is NOT Kraft; it is privately owned by the Open Original Shared Link and has nothing to do with Kraft, unless some of the family members happen to own a few Kraft shares.

Open Original Shared Link, the maker of KitKat, is a publicly held company with headquarters in Switzerland and, again, has no connection with Kraft.

Nabisco is owned by Kraft, but none of the products you mentioned are made by Nabisco.

So, I still wonder, how is what you said in any way relevant to Kraft?

Clickable links are provided in the text.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I read about the connection of Mars and Kraft in an Associated Press announcement the other day, and I don't care if they are not one in the same...they both used the tainted milk products.

Kraft Foods and Mars Next?

Indonesia

Jestgar Rising Star

I guess, whether they have melamine or not isn't as interesting to me as the fact that these "chocolate" products are mostly chemicals. I feel like we've been lulled into eating a lot of things that are not good, and possibly bad, for us.

This whole melamine contamination thing, first with the pet food, and then with the milk, brings home the need for awareness about what you eat and where it comes from.

And I eat Miracle whip light with no reactions. There are no obvious gluten containing ingredients.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
And I eat Miracle whip light with no reactions. There are no obvious gluten containing ingredients.

Good, I'm sure they have changed the ingredients, it did contain gluten. These companies can change ingreds anytime they want. We have to always read the label, every time we buy the product. I was using Hellman's Canola Mayo, and it was great, then I got sick with it. They had changed it, made it cholesterol free, and added soy to it. I can't have soy, so now, I can't have mayo again. :(

The food situation does scare me, and that's why I try to stick to foods with as few ingredients as possible.

Lisa Mentor

This to me is a VERY GOOD indicator that Miracle Whip Light is glute free.

Archived