This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Go To Hair Salons?

Crayons574

Crayons574 Contributor

How do you go to Hair Salons without being glutened? Do you call ahead of time? Do you bring your own shampoo/conditioner? Do gluten free salons exist? Or do you just stay at home and cut your own hair :lol:?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I either bring my own shampoo and conditioner or I have them just wet my hair. I also request that they rinse off the combs and sissors before they use them as normally they are soaking in a disinfectant. In the beginning I would just ask to them to let me read the ingredients of the shampoos and conditioners but usually they are in really big bottles in the back and it just seems easier to bring my own. I recently started coloring my hair again, but I do that at home with Garneir, the hardest part is finding the right color. I haven't been to a salon yet that was not very understanding and compliant with my needs, they don't want you to have a reaction any more than you do.

daphniela Explorer
How do you go to Hair Salons without being glutened? Do you call ahead of time? Do you bring your own shampoo/conditioner? Do gluten free salons exist? Or do you just stay at home and cut your own hair :lol:?

I wash my hair before I go and come in with wet hair. I did that prediagnosis too to save money since they always charge extra for washing hair.

jerseyangel Proficient

I used to go in with clean hair and ask them to just wet it before cutting. I now go a salon where the stylist gives a scalp and neck massage while washing and conditioning. I didn't want to miss out on that :P , so I bring my own shampoo and conditioner--and styling products, too. I put them all in a large size ziplock bag.

I've never had a problem either way--I think they must be used to individual requests for a variety of reasons. One stylist told me that she has a client that just does not want any products used in her hair because she doesn't like the feel. I would do what makes you feel comfortable :)

shirleyujest Contributor

This question doesn't make sense to me, help me understand... gluten is a problem when it's ingested, unless you swallow shampoo it doesn't matter does it?

missy'smom Collaborator
This question doesn't make sense to me, help me understand... gluten is a problem when it's ingested, unless you swallow shampoo it doesn't matter does it?

I didn't switch my products for a long time and thought it was unnecessary-I buy more expensive products these days and use them sparingly so don't taste the by accident as I used to when I was buying cheap stuff and being wasteful. ;) I don't mean to sound snobbish, that's just reality, for me anyway. But a while back my hair started breaking off quite a lot in a certain area of my head and so I checked my products and realized that the shampoo and conditioner that I had been using(for a long time) had gluten(wheat) and two new products-one of which was applied specifically to the area where the breakage was occuring-both products contained wheat. So all together I was using 4 wheat containing products on a regular basis. The 2 styling products ended up places other than just my hair. I can't definitively say that that is what cauesd the breakage, there are other things that could cause it, but I decided that it was time to switch and I haven't had that problem with breakage anymore. I had SO many strands on the top of my head that were an inch or two long and just stood straight up. It was a little embarrassing!

To address the original question. I go to an Aveda salon, and didn't know what I was going to do when I switched because I really didn't want to look for another place and alot of their stuff contains gluten. So I called and told them my situation and they said to leave a message for the stylist and just go ahead and make an appointment. So when I came in, she took a few minutes and we read labels and she made notes of what would work. She said that alot of people have reations to various ingredients.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I also go to an Aveda salon. Had been for years. I e-mailed the company and got their gluten free list. I keep my list in my purse, and ask the stylist to only use items off that list. I like the idea of asking them to rinse the tools before using.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You will find a great deal of difference of opinions on this subject. When I found out that the antibody reaction can occur whenever gluten contacts a mucous membrane I decided to cut it out of toiletries as well as my food. That basically ended a lot of my 'mystery' glutening and also within a month or so my arthritis and fibro had gone into remission and my ataxia improved. IMHO if you have celiac impact to organs other than just the gut it is advisable to switch to gluten free toiletries at least for a month or two and see if it helps.

tiredofbeingsickandtired Apprentice

I go to a Paul Mitchell school and love it. I print out what products can be used on my hair, because of DH I have to be very careful. They are wonderful about making sure they don't use anything that they shouldn't. The best is that its only $10 and I get an amazing cut everytime.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I call ahead to make an appointment. I ask them to find out what products they can use that are gluten free. The day before going to a new salon I stop by and ask ask they have figured out what products are gluten free. If they haven't done this, I cancel the appointment.

I now go to an Aveda Salon. They called their company for their list and included their perms on this list. I now never worry.

I react with itchy red skin to product that have gluten in them.

Gemini Experienced

For all it's worth, I have my hair colored, permed on occasion and use the products they use on everyone. I've never had any kind of problem but I don't have a contact allergy to wheat on top of Celiac. As my head is always tilted back into the sink during a shampoo and conditioning, I have never had any problems with ingesting the products. You have to do what makes you comfortable.

Archived