This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baking Subs For Egg, Dairy, Soy, Yeast....

elle's mom

elle's mom Contributor

OK I just learned in another thread that you could substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil in recipes, this may help me as I can no longer have soy (veg oil). I was thinking maybe peanut, saflower (sp?) or another type of oil may also work, anyone tried this in baking? What types of oils work/don't work when making say cake or brownies (either homeade or from a mix)?

Other than that I need an egg substitute.....I've heard of "egg beaters", not sure what that is, but does that work? And is there any difference in taste (like will my hubby and kids notice)?

Also, any good way to make a frosting without dairy, or soy? I had found the "butter flavor crisco" worked well instead of butter with powdered sugar, but it contains soy. Any suggestions???

I would just like to be able to make the occasional cake &/or brownies for my kids that I could actually eat too. Send me your gluten, dairy, soy, egg, and yeast free recipes:) Thank you!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lcbannon Apprentice

Peanut Oil would be very strong to bake with. The applesause would be a great sub, I have seen Earth Balance for a butter sub I believe and I find that Sour Creme helps add needed fat to baked items, I know you can't do dairy but I think there is a sub for that as well.

Egg beaters is just egg whites, so that won't help you. Flax swells up with water for a sub and I have used ground Chia seed with water for a good substitute for egg as well.

Good Luck.

lcbannon Apprentice

OK I just learned in another thread that you could substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil in recipes, this may help me as I can no longer have soy (veg oil). I was thinking maybe peanut, saflower (sp?) or another type of oil may also work, anyone tried this in baking? What types of oils work/don't work when making say cake or brownies (either homeade or from a mix)?

Other than that I need an egg substitute.....I've heard of "egg beaters", not sure what that is, but does that work? And is there any difference in taste (like will my hubby and kids notice)?

Also, any good way to make a frosting without dairy, or soy? I had found the "butter flavor crisco" worked well instead of butter with powdered sugar, but it contains soy. Any suggestions???

I would just like to be able to make the occasional cake &/or brownies for my kids that I could actually eat too. Send me your gluten, dairy, soy, egg, and yeast free recipes:) Thank you!!

koolkat222 Newbie

Ener G Egg Replacer is what I use in baking. It's a powder; it's worked for me. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

I use light olive oil in baking. It works well with no strong taste of it's own.

As was suggested, Ener-g makes a powered egg replacer--that works differently depending on what you're using it in.

For frosting, you could try Spectrum Organic Shortening. It is made from palm oil, and works just like Crisco.

Lynayah Enthusiast

To replace one egg:

1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds

3 tablespoons water (or other liquid)

I've had good luck with the Ener-G Egg Replacer as well. For baking, frying: Canola oil is also good. Canola is the one to use if you do not want your oil to smoke too quickly.

For saute: The Julia Child combo of one part butter to two parts olive oil is delicious . . . if you can have butter.

And if you CAN have butter: Old fashioned buttercream frosting is a combination of butter, powered sugar with whatever flavoring you want, such as vanilla -- if you look, there are recipies out there that do not use egg. Marth Stewart has one. I haven't tried it, but here it is:

Martha Stewart's

Instant Buttercream

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp

2 jars (7.5 oz each) marshmallow cream

2/3 cup cocoa powder

2/3 cup semisweet choc chips, melted and cooled(see my note, below)

1 Tbsp vanilla extract

In bowl beat butter and marshmallow cream till fluffy. Beat in the rest of the ingredients PLUS 1 Tbsp water. If buttercream is too thin you can refrigerate it 5 minutes before using.

Chocolate chips: Enjoy Life has a soy gluten, trans-fat free chocolate chip out there that is delicious -- better than "other" semi-sweet chips, in my opinion. They would work in this recipe.

Marshmallow Fluff is gluten free.

Lynayah Enthusiast

PS: Apparently, some folks have issues with canola oil. There is a thread about it here, if you are interested:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=61018

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

They have this Orgran "No Egg" replacer product on Gluten Free Mall. I haven't tried it and there are no reviews yet, so got no idea how it well it works.

I use just about any oil for a sub to butter in recipes. Corn oil is cheap as an alternative.

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients: Potato starch, tapioca flour, vegetable gum, methylcellulose, calcium carbonate (source of calcium), citric acid.

Gluten Free FoodsMilk Free FoodsEgg Free FoodsSoy Free FoodsNo Sugar Added FoodsKosher Supervised Foods

elle's mom Contributor

To replace one egg:

1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds

3 tablespoons water (or other liquid)

I've had good luck with the Ener-G Egg Replacer as well. For baking, frying: Canola oil is also good. Canola is the one to use if you do not want your oil to smoke too quickly.

For saute: The Julia Child combo of one part butter to two parts olive oil is delicious . . . if you can have butter.

And if you CAN have butter: Old fashioned buttercream frosting is a combination of butter, powered sugar with whatever flavoring you want, such as vanilla -- if you look, there are recipies out there that do not use egg. Marth Stewart has one. I haven't tried it, but here it is:

Martha Stewart's

Instant Buttercream

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp

2 jars (7.5 oz each) marshmallow cream

2/3 cup cocoa powder

2/3 cup semisweet choc chips, melted and cooled(see my note, below)

1 Tbsp vanilla extract

In bowl beat butter and marshmallow cream till fluffy. Beat in the rest of the ingredients PLUS 1 Tbsp water. If buttercream is too thin you can refrigerate it 5 minutes before using.

Chocolate chips: Enjoy Life has a soy gluten, trans-fat free chocolate chip out there that is delicious -- better than "other" semi-sweet chips, in my opinion. They would work in this recipe.

Marshmallow Fluff is gluten free.

No, butter is out due to the no dairy......but maybe I could use that Spectrum organic shortening. I never thought of marshmallow fluff, I wonder if it's egg, soy, and yeast free......I have the Enjoy Life chips and I agree, they're wonderful. I sometimes just eat a handful of them for a treat:)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm totally clueless and this gets me on the right path.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Coconut oil works great in place of butter, margarine and shortening, for most any cooking and baking. And if you get the good kind (centrifuged), the flavor is awesome (if you like coconut) :)

Other good oils for cooking and baking include safflower, sunflower, macadamia, and avocado. The first two are very light and won't impart any noticeable flavor. Macadamia oil adds a wonderful flavor to many foods. It just depends on what you're making, and personal preference.

Coconut milk/cream can be used in place of dairy products of similar consistency.

Obviously, baking powder in place of yeast would be the first choice for leavening purposes.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Coconut oil works great in place of butter, margarine and shortening, for most any cooking and baking. And if you get the good kind (centrifuged), the flavor is awesome (if you like coconut) :)

So Rice Guy, if you cook with coconut oil will it give it a coconut flavor? I love coconut but hubby does not so I've refrained from trying since we always cook together.

Ginsou Explorer

Ginsou Explorer

I have had great luck baking with canola oil, Spectrum Vegetable Shortening(palm oil, looks like Crisco), and Earth Balance has a dairy,soy,lactose,gluten free spread that comes in a red/white container. I just purchased this product and have not baked with it. I use palm oil as a substitute for butter in making buttercream frosting using confectioner's sugar, and it is excellent.

Archived