This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

notme Experienced

.......If you do not like fireworks, why, yer just a crazy person!! Fireworks are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

congrat.gif

Hellooooooo dinner peeps!

Had a fabulous time at the wedding. Legs still work after dancing my face off for hours. whoohoo!

hmm...maybe I should post this in the thread about "paranoid to go to a wedding"--maybe later---

but I my cousin made sure we GeeFReers had apps (shrimp cocktail, crudities, cheese platter) but I just had a cocktail.

So cool to see my fun cousins I had not seen in 5 years. They were glad to see--as some of them dryly noted-- I was not dead.  :lol: ....sarcasm runs in the family...

Special soup for us was roasted garlic, chickpea and veggies ("the others" had a not-so-great clam chowdah, they told me)

Dinner was salad, no croutons--( and I love you, cousin JoAnn for telling them not to bother with those!)

A filet mignon done to perfection (no gravy for us) roasted potatoes and summer squashes.

They all had cake and ice cream, but I brought the GFers giant homemade cookies. ("the others" wanted to know... hey.... Where did THOSE come from?? sorry, dude...just eat yer cake!)

Got back to the hotel at 1:30 AM.

Life is good.  ;)

that.  is.  awesome!!!!  you *should* post your experience = great coping skills because it's wedding season (duck season?  wabbit season?)  also, even us 'veterans' still get paranoid to go to a wedding lolz after all, there are humans and gluten all over the place!!

today, i am teaching my neice and nephew that if they eat their lunch, auntie has a chocolate bar for them.  they said i couldn't make them eat their lunch.  their mother sends over a bunch of crackers and crap snacks for them to eat during the day.  but i am that b!+ch  mom/aunt who won't give you any crap snacks unless you eat your lunch.  plus, i have my grandson here and to let them eat snacks all day but i make him eat lunch, well, i'm just not into being unfair.  they are munching away happily discussing which dessert they are planning to have.

this ain't my first day, kiddos!!!!  (and i own all the hershey bars....)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

IrishHeart Veteran

uh huh....and she who owns all the hershey bars rules the roost, baby

Cut and pasted to the wedding thread--hope newbs and vets alike can see anything is possible.

As the elderly G F lady I shared a cookie with said to me,,,,this ain't the old days. They know what to do for "us" now.  (well, they do if you ask enough questions....)  ;) I avoided a collision with a tainted scallop (looked harmless enough)  by asking one more time....are you sure about these, sweets??  I waited patiently while she checked in the kitchen....poor kid nearly slapped it out of my hand. But you know old IH ain't puttin nuttin on her mouth without being extra super  duper sure.

Adalaide Mentor

Life is good.  ;)

Life does sound good. Maybe even better than good!

Kids are hilarious.

Adalaide Mentor

I just did leftovers tonight. My husband was unaware of the Pizza Hut $5.55 promotion but I love him and no matter how much I can not tolerate the smell of pizza without being borderline criminally insane... I told him about it and to go get one. The price really can't be beat for the number of meals it will feed him and how much he loves it. Plus I really can't afford things cluttering the fridge right now.

I popped a ham out of the freezer last week to make room and am having company over on Wednesday afternoon for dinner. The game plan is ham, garlic roasted potatoes, creamed corn, something greenish and Brazilian cheese bread. Plus I'll make lavender cupcakes in the morning with lavender mint buttercream frosting. The frosting is an experiment, I'll be popping the cream in the fridge tomorrow with lavender flowers and fresh mint to get the flavor and then strain them out and use that for the frosting. I figure worst case scenario it sucks and I'll remake "normal" frosting and use that.

Noachka Newbie

My dinner tonight was cauliflower puree with shrimp (random but it was the only protein we had in the house - time to go food shopping and do some cooking) and garnished with a dollop of avocado, purely because it looked pretty with the color contrast. 

All of your dinners sound very yummy :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Lavender cupcakes and  frosting sound fab, Addy!! yum!

Welcome Noachka! Your dinner does sound great. 

Well, SKI

I pushed the limit on the high histamine foods that give me grief the past few days --and boy, was it fun !!!(alcohol, chocolate, tomatoes, aged cheese) and  that lasagna  I made  last night was fantastic (if I do say so myself)  :lol: but today will require some scaling back 

so.....

Looks like roasted chicken, some asparagus we picked up at a farm stand in Mass. on the way home and some cucumbers, maybe.

Hubs can eat the toms and the big fat strawberries  we also picked up. 

w8in4dave Community Regular

Last night we had a stir fry .... I found a beef broth that didn't have Gluten!! I could not believe it when I started looking at things , how many things had gluten that you wouldn't normally think would!! Yup beef broth!! Why on earth would they put Gluten in beef broth? Any hoo glad I found it because Hubbs LOVES gravy! So I made a stir fry with rice and he put gravy on top! I put mine on top of beans .. It was so very good!! I have always had a problem using flour making gravy so I was happy just using good ol corn starch! :) It is such a sigh of relief! I just love being healthier! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Last night we had a stir fry .... I found a beef broth that didn't have Gluten!! I could not believe it when I started looking at things , how many things had gluten that you wouldn't normally think would!! Yup beef broth!! Why on earth would they put Gluten in beef broth? Any hoo glad I found it because Hubbs LOVES gravy! So I made a stir fry with rice and he put gravy on top! I put mine on top of beans .. It was so very good!! I have always had a problem using flour making gravy so I was happy just using good ol corn starch! :) It is such a sigh of relief! I just love being healthier! 

I like this brand.  they seem to be widely available.  I get them at any grocery or Target.  At Thanksgiving, my grocery gets the turkey stock.

http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Products/Kitchen%20Basics/Original-Beef-Stock.aspx

IrishHeart Veteran

I like this brand.  they seem to be widely available.  I get them at any grocery or Target.  At Thanksgiving, my grocery gets the turkey stock.

http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Products/Kitchen%20Basics/Original-Beef-Stock.aspx

yes!

and Pacific or Kitchen Basics are good too.

If you have access to a  BJs or Costco, they come in multi-packs.

That is the kind I got!!! TY :) I was so very happy! Only thing is I didn't need that much! So I put the rest in a container and froze it! I will have to remember the turkey stock at that time of year!! I was going to post the ingredients but the container got pitched and taken out! So I couldn't! But yes I got some Chicken stock also as long as I was at it!! :) I will feed the other Glutenized stuff to my outside cats! Mix it with their dry or something. I hate to waste ya know! And I am sure they will love it! 

yes!

and Pacific or Kitchen Basics are good too.

If you have access to a  BJs or Costco, they come in multi-packs.

I do have Costco!!! I will remember to get some next time I go!! Should be soon!! Thanks!! 

kareng Grand Master

That is the kind I got!!! TY :) I was so very happy! Only thing is I didn't need that much! So I put the rest in a container and froze it! I will have to remember the turkey stock at that time of year!! I was going to post the ingredients but the container got pitched and taken out! So I couldn't! But yes I got some Chicken stock also as long as I was at it!! :) I will feed the other Glutenized stuff to my outside cats! Mix it with their dry or something. I hate to waste ya know! And I am sure they will love it! 

We like the no added salt ones the best. 

notme Experienced

lasagna  I made  last night was fantastic (if I do say so myself)  :lol:  

hits the spot, doesn't it ?  :)  i grew up in nj so italian food is comfort food.  hubs was so happy when i finally started making spaghetti and meatballs w/"gravy" <big ole pot o sauce cooking on the stove all day

it's tuesday and the mr is on the road.  i has bacon.  i has tomato.  i might have some cowering lettuce  <_<  

tomorrow is the farmer's market in our little town - twice weekly - and it used to suck <like a couple of people hanging out in the back of pickups, and they sold veggies only - all kinds of rules about home kitchens and if you wanted to sell potted herbs they had to be inspected by the blah blah blah, you know.  but they have people down there selling baked goods and home canned stuff.  ima check it and see, maybe get me a booth and make some flavored oils and vinegars.  GLUTEN FREE!!  we shall see but i am mildly excited  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

cowering lettuce ...<snort>  :lol:

I am probably one of the few who does NOT allow her red gravy to simmer all day long.

An old Italian woman in the North End of Boston told me to stop doing that when I was a young married thing and I was working part time in a bar near the Boston Garden while teaching at Northeastern and going to grad school.  I hung on her every word when she explained how to make various Italian dishes and to this day, I only cook my tomato sauce for a total of an hour. 

I also make fresh tomato sauce (salsa de pomodoro) in about 20 minutes with plum toms, garlic and basil from the garden.

What can I say? The best stuff I learned came from my Grammy who spoke broken English...and other people's Grammies who spoke broken English too.   :D

Adalaide Mentor

I'm home alone without a husband this evening too. I just threw together a salad and burger for dinner.

Apparently my errand yesterday (on a cloudy day damn it all!) out driving somewhere half an hour away for something that suddenly came up has left me getting ready for company tomorrow while I wish I was in bed all day. At least at this point I have what it takes to make small attempts to push through a little at a time. And screw it, I already feel like hell so I'm gonna flip on that oven and make my cupcakes tonight because I want one... and I want it NOW!

IrishHeart Veteran

give me one willya? I've had a suck day too.

Adalaide Mentor

Oh sure, just come on over and we'll pig out on them. I'll even let you lick frosting off a spatula, because that is a cure for all sorts of ills. :D

GottaSki Mentor

OH MY GOD....I had a meal out :)

Dad took hubs and fam to steak and chop house to start off the hub's 50th celebration -- well deserved as hubs and i feed said peeps every Sunday for years...and hubs took care of dad's daughter thru thick and thick all these years...but heck was happy for the treat....I had a HUGE Ribeye with vegies.  Hubs had filet with lobster, vegies...some awesome au gratin potatoes -- oh and mushrooms!!!  Sis had beautiful shrimp scampi...she only does steak well, well done and knows better than try to order in a steak house -- anyhoo...this scampi was interesting in that it looked creamy -- so I asked and I have a pretty good idea how to replicate === YUM!  One son had another Ribeye -- second son was at work so ate the last third of my humongous steak along with some vegies and oh ya == blueberry cheesecake I made to start off the cake days of hubs 50!  Doh..creme brulee was fantastic too---hubs was one happy man tonight -- for that I am very grateful  :wub:

Oh wait...his birthday isn't until tomorrow -- and he was supposed to be on a fishing boat -- work got in the way so plan B, C and D in the works....stay tuned!!!

Adalaide Mentor

That sounds like a fantabulous evening! He is one lucky dude. :D

Adalaide Mentor

So far so good with the plans today. The cupcakes are amazing. (I may have had a cupcake for breakfast. :ph34r:) I had spare time about noon to make chocolate chip cookies because I am apparently a masochist. Ham is in the oven now. Now all I have to do is wait for the ham to come out, throw in the taters and cheesebread and get the corn and/or carrots cooked.

I'm still hobbling around with this sore leg after waking up with that damn charlie horse yesterday and it feels like I'll be hobbling for a few more at this rate. Whoever this "charlie" is I'd like to give him a good kick in the shin right about now. Plus I'm still suffering all sorts of aches, pains and general "kill me nows" from being in the sun too much on Monday. But damn it all I have plans for tonight and I will have a good time.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Spent the day stuffing myself, so not up to dinner.

Note to self, just because the food you eat is healthy, doesn't mean you can eat in non stop.

Think PMS is hitting in hid_shout.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh sure, just come on over and we'll pig out on them. I'll even let you lick frosting off a spatula, because that is a cure for all sorts of ills. :D

It is indeed!  :)

OH MY GOD....I had a meal out :)

Oh wait...his birthday isn't until tomorrow --

whoohoo !! and really?!!! Cuz it's my beloved Dad's Bday, too. He would have been 89. Cheers to Dave!!

. Plus I'm still suffering all sorts of aches, pains and general "kill me nows" from being in the sun too much on Monday. But damn it all I have plans for tonight and I will have a good time.

well, I'll confess now then....I only told this to SKI....I was glutened at lunch out last week :angry: and I spent 24 hours in abdominal spasm hell, in the potty all night Friday and straight across the Mass Pike on Sat....stopping every time the cramping and doubling over came a 'callin.....as I drove to that wedding I was hell bent on going to....slapped some makeup on, doped myself with enough pepto to stop me up for a year.... and had a blast.

Game face works!!. Have a good time with your dinner guests and save me a damn cupcake! xx

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

hat.gif

Hats off to you Irish, NO stopping you now :)

(On my PC for a change, and can use emoticons. Can you tell?)

IrishHeart Veteran

hat.gif

Hats off to you Irish, NO stopping you now :)

(On my PC for a change, and can use emoticons. Can you tell?)

awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif

clever girl!

Adalaide Mentor

awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif

clever girl!

Every time I see/hear this phrase all I can think of is that someone is about to get pounced by a velociraptor. :ph34r: Generally the person saying it.

And yes, game face works! I spent (and I know you did and many of us did) too much time where there was no game face to be had. So screw this feeling bad bulls$#& on a day I have plans.