This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Feel Like People Are Irritated With Me...

Jenn624

Loey Rising Star

I may just be oversensitive, but I feel like people get annoyed by me needing to know ingredients and not going out to eat at certain places.

I have a bridal shower to go to and just messaged the bride to ask about the menu. I can feel her rolling her eyes.

I am overreacting. I know that. I already told my husband I am worried about Easter dinner at my in-laws. He insists it will be okay and I just have to tell them what I can eat. I know differently. She couldn't understand at New Year's why I couldn't have the corn casserole when it only had ONE TABLESPOON on flour. I tried to remind my husband how his mom cooks...it will be things with tons of ingredients and I will end up sick. He naively disagrees.

We are having a luncheon at the school where I teach and it's a covered dish. I looked at the menu and it's going to be slim pickings for me once again.

I never realized how much our world revolves around food...

Jenn

I don't think you're over reacting. This is a really tough diet to follow and even harder for outsiders to understand. Most restaurants and caterers will work with you on a simple menu. I had a restaurant bend over backwards o help me after a funeral.

I'm posting a few links on celiac that you might want to share with the bride and others. I hope that they help. Please feel free to PM me anytime if you need to vent.

Loey

Open Original Shared Link

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenngolightly Contributor

"OMG I know why you got sick - I used the mayo!"

We use the squeeze mayo. In fact, if anything comes in a squeeze bottle, that's what we buy. If you are budget conscience, you can buy your own squeeze bottles and transfer condiments into those. Even if I wasn't gluten-free, I'd buy squeeze bottles. It's nasty to see those little crumbs and unidentifiable specks of other food sitting in the margarine or mayo. Blech.

monika Newbie

Try being in college where all of the on campus food easy grab stuff is things you can't have. I was walking past a group that had pizza hut personal pizzas and i was just about ready to die right then and there. I wanted it sooooo bad, but decided it was not worth it, which lead to me thinking i could make my own even better so :)

Yeah it stinks. My grandmother makes homemade bread (the gluteny kind). She was baking a loaf over the weekend and i just about lost it due to the oh so good smell. Again i told myself it wasn't worth it.

One day at a time :)

hahah I usually avoid going near the places with food on campus. It's horrible! the temptation is there but you can't. Oh well, like you said it's not worth it. I'm just glad im out of the dorms. I can finally make my food in my own kitchen!!!! :D

K8ling Enthusiast

I bring all my own food, and tell them ahead of time. I tell them all about the disease and if it is a problem then I eat before I go. I have never had to skip an event because of food before.

I used to worry I was being inconvenient but if it was a peanut allergy people would bend over backwards. So now I just do it, no fuss, and they can deal with it.

taysic Rookie

Folks with gluten intolerance are EXTREMELY sensitive ... forget it if others don't get it.

color-me-confused Explorer

I Thought of this post today when I was at work. I had over heard some women talking about me and my "Fad" diet and how I wanted to just feel special and make it all about me. I couldn't believe it! When it comes to food I have to make it about me. SOoooo frustrating!

Wow. My co-workers on learning about the celiac diagnosis generally say something like: "wow, that's rough. can you still drink beer?" really, I've fielded the beer question about 8 times. I work with scientists and engineers and anything novel tends to bring out the curiosity ;) It's a small company so I'd rather have most people I am routinely in contact with know than not know.

Lima Bean Newbie

I have had surprising good responses.

"Why did you bring your own food? The food at this party is reallly good?"

I tell them I have Celiac and get:

" oh! That's gluten free, right? ". Then they tell me about someone they know who is gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loey Rising Star

I may just be oversensitive, but I feel like people get annoyed by me needing to know ingredients and not going out to eat at certain places.

I have a bridal shower to go to and just messaged the bride to ask about the menu. I can feel her rolling her eyes.

I am overreacting. I know that. I already told my husband I am worried about Easter dinner at my in-laws. He insists it will be okay and I just have to tell them what I can eat. I know differently. She couldn't understand at New Year's why I couldn't have the corn casserole when it only had ONE TABLESPOON on flour. I tried to remind my husband how his mom cooks...it will be things with tons of ingredients and I will end up sick. He naively disagrees.

We are having a luncheon at the school where I teach and it's a covered dish. I looked at the menu and it's going to be slim pickings for me once again.

I never realized how much our world revolves around food...

Jenn

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'm posting some links below that explain celiac to those who don't suffer from it. I hope it helps your husband to understand your problem and how important it is to remain gluten-free. Feel free to PM me if you need to vent one-on-one.

Loey

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/

Archived