WifeWentGF

Gluten Free Bakery In Pa?

Rate this topic

not sure if this is the right section but my wife just started her gluten-free diet. We are having a really tough time finding a good bread. we have made our own and bought a few that didnt turn out well. Ive googled a few bakeries in my area (philadelphia) and there are some options but nothing real close. Before i make any trips i was hoping to get some info from some people who have been down this road. Thanks

Good luck with that! I've found that the zucchini bread recipe posted in the recipe section on this website turns out well every time. But I've had little luck at all in getting an edible bread otherwise. Daughter likes Ener-G but most people don't. Mostly though she prefers Teff Wraps for sandwiches.

not sure if this is the right section but my wife just started her gluten-free diet. We are having a really tough time finding a good bread. we have made our own and bought a few that didnt turn out well. Ive googled a few bakeries in my area (philadelphia) and there are some options but nothing real close. Before i make any trips i was hoping to get some info from some people who have been down this road. Thanks

Have you tried Udi's or Rudi's gluten-free breads? A lot of people like those brands. Be careful with Rudi's though as they also make non gluten-free breads, too. I prefer to bake my own bread and experiment with different recipes. I think of it as a challenge...and it is. :lol:

There are many many options in Philly & NJ for gluten-free, dining out & shopping... Plus there is a large group there... The NCFA usually puts on Appetite FOr Awareness every year, last year it was at the NavySHipyards... We drive over 6 hours to attend, terrific. But sadly this year they could not find a site to have this big venue.

Mike of Gluten Free Philly has all kinds of info so google that site. He can tell you evrything about Philly & NJ that is gluten-free......Heis very updated ...

Rudi's& Udi's are very popular breads.. Glutinowill be having Genius Bread in the very near future from across the pond. It is very popular over in the UK>

Plus Everybody Eats from NY haswonderful baguettes & italian dinner rolls plus more.

Joan's gluten-free great bakes makes some excellent NY style bagels, English muffins & much more...but sadly their building just burned down so it may be awhile before they will be back in business. You may find some of their goodies in speciality shoppes...

Celiac specialites has the best donuts.....

Conte's from Vineland, NJ hassome awesome pierogi's, ravioli, & frozen gluten-free dinners.....

hth--- mamaw

thanks for the replies :) we went to christines gluten free bakery in kennett square. it took us 2 hours round trip but it was worth it. we bought baguettes and kaisers that are unlike any gluten-free bread we have tried. I am sure i will be posting lots more questions on the forum as we settle into going gluten-free....thanks again

Have you tried Udi's or Rudi's gluten-free breads? A lot of people like those brands. Be careful with Rudi's though as they also make non gluten-free breads, too. I prefer to bake my own bread and experiment with different recipes. I think of it as a challenge...and it is. :lol:

Hi Sylvia and WifeWentGF - Just wanted to clarify on the comment above. Yes, along with our Gluten-Free breads we also have an Organic Bread (containing gluten) product line. Our Gluten-Free breads are very clearly marked 'Gluten-Free' in big letters across the front of the package, and they should be located in the freezer section.

You can feel assured our gluten free products never come into contact with something used to make a product containing gluten. As part of our manufacturing process and our gluten-free certification (GFCO), we also do the following:

(1)Our organic and gluten free equipment is color-coded for easy segregation. (2) Our gluten free breads are baked only after our facility has gone through an extensive, full day clean-up process. (3) All incoming ingredients are also tested and certified to be gluten free. (4) As part of our gluten free certification, every batch of our gluten free bread is tested and must test below <10 ppm of gluten for distribution. (5) We also send product to an outside lab to validate our test results and ensure we have less than 10 ppm of gluten.

Please let me know if you have any questions! Thanks - Maggie, Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery

Hi Sylvia and WifeWentGF - Just wanted to clarify on the comment above. Yes, along with our Gluten-Free breads we also have an Organic Bread (containing gluten) product line. Our Gluten-Free breads are very clearly marked 'Gluten-Free' in big letters across the front of the package, and they should be located in the freezer section.

You can feel assured our gluten free products never come into contact with something used to make a product containing gluten. As part of our manufacturing process and our gluten-free certification (GFCO), we also do the following:

(1)Our organic and gluten free equipment is color-coded for easy segregation. (2) Our gluten free breads are baked only after our facility has gone through an extensive, full day clean-up process. (3) All incoming ingredients are also tested and certified to be gluten free. (4) As part of our gluten free certification, every batch of our gluten free bread is tested and must test below <10 ppm of gluten for distribution. (5) We also send product to an outside lab to validate our test results and ensure we have less than 10 ppm of gluten.

Please let me know if you have any questions! Thanks - Maggie, Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery

I've heard of people here who have quickly grabbed a loaf of Rudi's bread and inadvertently picked up one that was not gluten-free. I'm assuming they were in a hurry or perhaps didn't know you made both kinds.

It's admirable that you are GFCO certified and test <10 ppm so that all but the most sensitive celiacs will be able to consume your gluten-free products. :)