This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Ninja

Celiac Ninja Enthusiast

It seem my anxiety attack has brought on adrenal fatigue and progesterone drops.

I lost a bunch of weight, having menopausal symptoms and feeling the same adrenal fatigue as before.

Hands are dumb, dropping stuff, tingling in hands and feet, muscle weakness. I've got two kids to take care of and this is just not convenient.

I'm wondering...with my stress issues...I've been seeing a counselor yes, I'm told to stay away from the stuff that's causing these attacks and that would be my relatives at the moment.

I'm wondering...would pot help me with my anxiety and my autoimmune disorder?

Maybe help calm my over reactive body down so I can gain some weight and sleep better?

So far nothing of a gluten free diet for the last 9 yeas isn't saving my carcass.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Wow! You have a lot on your plate!

Here are some suggestions not knowing your complete situation.....

-- HRT can resolve some anxiety and reduce or eliminate perimenopausal symptoms. I get mine from a compounding pharmacy. It is a lifesaver. But, not everyone can use it.

-- Cortisol for adrenal fatigue, but that requires a prescription.

-- Stop being a ninja! When I got sick I gave up lots of volunteer work like city committee work, no helping at school (PTSA does just fine without me)..... You get the picture. I played the "I am sick card to the max!" And that is okay!!!!!!!!!! It is called survival!

-- Let home things go. I became a sloppier housekeeper, I admit my standards were too high. We survived!

-- I asked friends for help. Like carpooling to school or watching my daughter. Little "helps" tend to add up!

-- basically, I focused on getting food to the table, helping with homework and my daughter's activities which were limited sharply. She is doing great not pursuing 20 different things! We focused in being together even if that means just watching a little TV and making some popcorn. Gives us a chance to bond and discuss daily events.

-- Eat more fat and protein! I became a diabetic this year. Gave up carbs. What a difference! Not more roller coaster energy rides. A nice even level of energy. I did not expect that at all! I was just watching my blood sugar. Friends are reporting the same increase in energy just by reducing some of their carbs and getting most through good veggie sources.

-- Non-supportive relatives? Stay away from them. You and your immediate family come first!

-- Pot? Not sure about that. I would have recommended it or tried it for my MIL who had MS. But, I have a family member who was a pot head, got into a few more drugs, but fortunately the family intervened and he/she has been pot free for 20 years and still attends NA meetings. It can be addictive if you are the addictive type. But how do you know? There is probably a physical reason for your anxiety besides normal day-to-day life. Like celiac disease, it is better to find the source rather than take something to reduce the symptom.

-- I read your profile and besides being a mother of little ones, you have student loan debt. That is a lot on your plate. But just make a plan for how you want your life to be. Literally, map it out and then take it one day at a time! Set some goals. Eliminate things that are not really important to you or your family. It will really help.

-- Besides regular counseling, try meeting with a non-profit credit counselor who can help reduce some of the financial anxiety that you and your family might have. They might have tips that could reduce your anxiety your loan debt!

I hope this helps! You are not alone!

cristiana Veteran

Hi Celiac Ninja

Anxiety was a huge problem for me before I was diagnosed, horrid - and so totally different from just being an anxious type of person, which I would say is just my personality type.  What helped was my lovely doctor getting my Ferritin normal, B12 levels normal. Then of course getting off gluten when they finally found out what was wrong!

My brother in law, a GP, steered me in the direction of some good books and websites. 

This is a Scottish one that I found very helpful.

Open Original Shared Link

Also the following was an absolute godsend.

I found Paul David's book excellent, but the website helped a lot even before I decided to buy it.

Also, for some helpful lifestyle changes,  the following helped me too.

Although the book is for depression sufferers, I think I was also a bit depressed.  I am sure some of the life changes helped my anxiety go quicker.

I hope some of this might help.  

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I think that pot may just complicate your recovery.  Plus, depending on where you live, there is that legality issue.

I also get anxious when glutened.  It's a pain.  I hope you feel better soon.

• 4 weeks later...
John Burlingame Explorer

I found the issues I was having, tingles in my hands and feet and anxiety attacks was due to my intolerance to soy. you might just have another something you eating with a new allergy.

Finally-45 Contributor

Many of these symptoms are also symptoms of mastocytosis.

John Burlingame Explorer

Many of these symptoms are also symptoms of mastocytosis.

whats that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

This is Mastocytosis:  Open Original Shared Link.  And does not seem relevant to the OP's issue.

Colleen

Adalaide Mentor

I would say that it comes down to whether or not it is legal in your state. I can tell you that if you have issues with anxiety, using a drug that is illegal certainly will only add to that. On the other hand, if it is legal there, I see no reason not to try it. For medical reasons not related to anxiety, I can tell you I will be the first person in line when it's legal here. There are plenty of anxiety drugs on the market, which I'm sure have probably been recommended to you, but all of them come with the potential for far more serious side effects than you'll get from pot. You can also get a vaporizer (not cheap) so you aren't either forced outside in the cold or smoking indoors where your kids are.

Archived