This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Monsanto's Roundup Pesticide Linked To Gluten Intolerance / Class Action Suit?

HOd

HOd Newbie

I just came across this article with some very credible evidence on the link between the pesticide Roundup developed by Monsanto and the increase in Gluten Intolerance and Celiac disease.  You can find more about this study here, with a link for downloading the whole article:

http://sustainablepulse.com/2014/02/19/roundup-linked-global-boom-celiac-disease-gluten-intolerance/#.UxBTGV5z-sQ

Now, my question, is when and how a class action suit by people suffering from Celiac Disease and GI can proceed.  I know legal action against Monsanto is normally an exercise in futility, but for symbolic value I would very much like to participate in some response to these findings. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star
dilettantesteph Collaborator
  • 2 weeks later...
youkogurl Newbie

A class action suit might be worth considering, but unfortunately no one has ever won a lawsuit against Monsanto and Monsanto has pretty much infiltrated our entire government.

GMO foods are already known for causing gastrointestinal problems, cancer, allergies, autoimmune disorders, and more, so it would not be surprising if Roundup was also linked to Celiac Disease. After all, Monsanto, the creator of Roundup and certain GMOs, also lied about the safety of DDT (aka Agent Orange).

Unfortunately, the EPA recently raised the allowable levels of Glyphosate (main ingredient in Roundup) on crops and the government has allowed companies like Monsanto to investigate the safety of their own products without question, so do not expect any government intervention because Monsanto has advocates of GMOs and Roundup in the USDA, FDA, Department of Agriculture, and the EPA.

If you have Celiac and don’t want to further aggravate your disease or worsen like me, you may want to start eating certified organic or GMO free whole foods. Also, please try contacting your favorite producers of certified gluten free foods and tell them to stop using GMO foods and foods sprayed with Roundup. (Advocating for a law which would require foods containing GMOs to be labeled may also be worthwhile.)

To learn more about how Roundup and GMO foods may have damaged your health, you can watch a documentary called Genetic Roulette: The Gamble Of Our Lives on youtube

Genetic Roulette Movie Trailer

GMO-Science Takes a Blow as Studies Are Retracted
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/03/11/retracted-gmo-studies.aspx

Another win for Monsanto: US raises allowable levels of company’s pesticide in crops

http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-glyphosate-roundup-epa-483/

Russia bans all GM corn imports; EU may also ban Monsanto GMO in wake of shocking cancer findings

http://www.naturalnews.com/037328_russia_gmo_monsanto.html#ixzz2vjAGeiSkhttp://www.naturalnews.com/037328_russia_gmo_monsanto.html

Government study finds toxic Roundup herbicide in 75 percent of air, rain samples
http://www.naturalnews.com/044258_Roundup_herbicide_rain_samples_air_pollution.html#ixzz2vjAacaa0

kenlove Rising Star

thanks for posting

A class action suit might be worth considering, but unfortunately no one has ever won a lawsuit against Monsanto and Monsanto has pretty much infiltrated our entire government.

GMO foods are already known for causing gastrointestinal problems, cancer, allergies, autoimmune disorders, and more, so it would not be surprising if Roundup was also linked to Celiac Disease. After all, Monsanto, the creator of Roundup and certain GMOs, also lied about the safety of DDT (aka Agent Orange).

Unfortunately, the EPA recently raised the allowable levels of Glyphosate (main ingredient in Roundup) on crops and the government has allowed companies like Monsanto to investigate the safety of their own products without question, so do not expect any government intervention because Monsanto has advocates of GMOs and Roundup in the USDA, FDA, Department of Agriculture, and the EPA.

If you have Celiac and don’t want to further aggravate your disease or worsen like me, you may want to start eating certified organic or GMO free whole foods. Also, please try contacting your favorite producers of certified gluten free foods and tell them to stop using GMO foods and foods sprayed with Roundup. (Advocating for a law which would require foods containing GMOs to be labeled may also be worthwhile.)

To learn more about how Roundup and GMO foods may have damaged your health, you can watch a documentary called Genetic Roulette: The Gamble Of Our Lives on youtube

Genetic Roulette Movie Trailer

GMO-Science Takes a Blow as Studies Are Retracted
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/03/11/retracted-gmo-studies.aspx

Another win for Monsanto: US raises allowable levels of company’s pesticide in crops

http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-glyphosate-roundup-epa-483/

Russia bans all GM corn imports; EU may also ban Monsanto GMO in wake of shocking cancer findings

http://www.naturalnews.com/037328_russia_gmo_monsanto.html#ixzz2vjAGeiSkhttp://www.naturalnews.com/037328_russia_gmo_monsanto.html

Government study finds toxic Roundup herbicide in 75 percent of air, rain samples
http://www.naturalnews.com/044258_Roundup_herbicide_rain_samples_air_pollution.html#ixzz2vjAacaa0

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've read these articles and the scientific study posted in the Publications forum. It's SCARY. After reading them, I vowed to go GMO free, organic, to raise chickens for meat and eggs, to grow most, if not all, of our veggies. A few days later, when I'd calmed down a little (haha)... and found organic eggs at the grocery for FIVE DOLLARS a dozen... I've decided to begin to replace our staples slowly. I found a great list of GMO free foods and many/most are available at our health food store. Plus, the 365 brand at Whole Foods is GMO free and reasonably priced. I can only get to Whole Foods a few times a year, but will begin to replace and stock up on better foods. I gave up the chicken for meat and organic eggs idea, but AM going to start making my own awesome fertilizer for my garden with worms! I'm also going to start asking questions at the summer farmer's market and see if I can't get veggies I don't grow to can/freeze.

Gemini Experienced

People who have Celiac disease have increased risk for other things; for example, non-hodgkins lymphoma, and they die earlier because of these other risks.

This statement is not true.  Risk factors go down to that of the general population once a person follows a strict gluten-free diet for 5 years.  Celiacs also do not die earlier due to these risk factors.  I have many undiagnosed through choice people in my family and they all live to be quite old.  There are many undiagnosed for life people out there and we all see them yet many do not die earlier. People die earlier every day that do not have Celiac Disease.  A persons life span has many influences and most of it boils down to not eating right, lack of movement and bad habits.....plus the ever popular genetic influence that makes us all uniquely different.

I am not buying into GMO's and pesticides as a cause for increased rates of Celiac Disease because this disease has existed long before these two issues were invented.  I read that Socrates made mention of the "wasting disease" in his writings so Celiac goes back well beyond what many people think.  It just wasn't discovered and documented until the second world war and that was quite by accident. Increased rates, I think, come from the amount of food people consume that contain increased amounts of gluten.

People simply eat way too much on a daily basis and a lot of it is bread and dessert based.  Gluten content of bread and baked goods is higher today. Take someone with a genetic predisposition for it, add in the daily stress of today's insane life, feed them a steady diet of poor quality food with lots of gluten content and it's the perfect formula for an epidemic.  Just my opinion but all this focus on outside influences and lawsuits seems a waste of time. I also do not care what caused it for me as I tend to look forward on things.  I follow a strict diet that has made me well for the first time in my life and concentrate on being fit and healthy. No matter what the medical community comes up with for a supposed cure, I'm not interested.  This is my life and I am content with it.  I am not in any way saying that GMO's and pesticides are safe but they have been used for awhile now and truthfully, more people died from the flu epidemic in 1918 than from these two concerns. Luvs2eat made another good point......try eating all organic and non-GMO and see how your food bill jumps.  I eat good quality food and it costs me a lot....I can't add this to the mix.  Organic is great....as long as it doesn't cost $7.00 for a head of cauliflower!   :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

You are right Gemini.  Correlation does not equal causation.

youkogurl Newbie

Lol. People are welcome to believe whatever they want about GMOs and Roundup, but it doesn’t change the fact that GMO cause inflammation and damages to numerous organs of the body, including the stomach. Even if one doesn't believe GMO or Roundup may cause Celiac Disease, it does not change the fact that GMOs are dangerous and the FDA should not have allowed GMOs, herbicides, or pesticides into the food system without considering the safety and health of its citizens and future generations. Also, when GMOs are grown, they are usually sprayed with Roundup.

• Liver cells displayed vacuolation and fatty degeneration.
  • The kidneys had congested blood vessels and dilation of renal tubules.
  • The testes showed signs of necrosis and desquamation of spermatogoneal germ cells lining the seminiferous tubules.
  • The spleens were congested with slight lymphocytic depletion.
  • The small intestines showed hyperplasia and hyperactivation of mucous secretory glands, with necrosis of intestinal villi.

GMOs show 'substantial non-equivalence'

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2307175/gmos_show_substantial_nonequivalence.html

GMO feed turns pig stomachs to mush! Shocking photos reveal severe damage caused by GM soy and corn
http://www.naturalnews.com/040727_gmo_feed_severe_inflammation_pig_stomachs.html

GMO-pig-intestines-inflammation.webp

New Study Finds GM Grains Harm Reproductive and Digestive Health
http://farmandranchfreedom.org/gmo-harms-reproductive-and-digestive-health/

GMO & Pesticides Cause Tumors & Higher Mortality Rate?

Rat-Tumor-Monsanto-GMO-Cancer-Study-3-Wi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeW5yUSqdhY

New Study Links GMOs To Gluten Disorders That Affect 18 Million Americans

“The Bt-toxin in corn is designed to puncture holes in insect cells, but studies show it does the same in human cells. Bt-toxin may be linked to leaky gut, which physicians consistently see in gluten-sensitivie patients.” Jeffrey Smith, ED of the Institute for Responsible Technology.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/11/29/new-study-links-gmos-to-gluten-disorders-that-affect-18-million-americans/

10 Reasons to Avoid GMOs
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/10-Reasons-to-Avoid-GMOs

Say No to GMOs (Provides tips on avoiding GMOs)
http://www.betternutrition.com/hidden-gmos/columns/askthenaturopath/1034

6 Ways to Avoid Eating Pesticide Residue
http://www.thenation.com/article/178829/6-ways-avoid-eating-pesticide-residue

Warning Signs: How Pesticides Harm the Young Brain
http://www.thenation.com/article/178804/warning-signs-how-pesticides-harm-young-brain#

• 9 months later...
TruthBTold Newbie

As someone who works in the legal field and has handled many complaints where Monsanto (now known as Pharmacia) was named - I can tell you that is not true.  Most big corporations like Pharmacia settle out of court because it is easier and cheaper to settle since their insurance pays for it than to take a case all the way to verdict. So yes, there are many plaintiffs who have walked away with "wins" so to speak against Pharmacia. 

bartfull Rising Star

Rice grown in the south where cotton used to be grown is contaminated with arsenic becasue they used to spray an arsenic pesticide on the cotton. It is now in the soil where it is taken up by the roots to become part of the plant.

GMO plants are heavily doused with Roundup. The Roundup too is saturating the soil where it is taken up by the roots to become part of the plant.

I don't want to eat that stuff!

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've read several articles over the last year linking GMOs and Monsanto crap and the incredible rise of celiac disease in people. It's made me more aware and willing to eat cleaner and healthier... no matter what the cost in my rural area of the U.S.

• 3 years later...
KEllis Newbie

I see this string is several years old but I had to comment because I too have had serious issues with GMO food - mostly soy oil - which is in everything. I know that in the past Monsanto has been a beast to conquer but just recently a case against them was allowed by a judge in San Francisco. It is regarding Roundup Weed Killer (which is made by Monsanto) causing cancer in people who have used it to kill weeds but I think that it too could have adverse effects on our food. I try to always eat organic but something that I have mostly narrowed down to soy oil in all types of foods causes my body to repeal the food (it literally crawls back up my throat in a mass of mucus) but I think it is also a GMO issue and now that I have learned about what is going on with Roundup, perhaps that as well. It is so hard to tell with food! I think a lawsuit could be possible for Monsanto food related issues now that all this has come out about Roundup Weed Killer issues - and is in trial as I write. I am all for a class action lawsuit. Respond to me if you are interested as well. If there are even 100 people interested, we could have something. 

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular

No. Lol. If Round-up was a major cause of celiac disease, then there would have been no celiac disease prior to its invention.

FYI - organic farming still uses pesticides, many of which are objectively more harmful in the short and long-term than Round-up. Either way, the amount of pesticides that end up on your food is so slight that you would have to eat an inhuman amount of food to actually get a dose that you could prove was harmful.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced
On 7/20/2018 at 1:07 PM, KEllis said:

I see this string is several years old but I had to comment because I too have had serious issues with GMO food - mostly soy oil - which is in everything. I know that in the past Monsanto has been a beast to conquer but just recently a case against them was allowed by a judge in San Francisco. It is regarding Roundup Weed Killer (which is made by Monsanto) causing cancer in people who have used it to kill weeds but I think that it too could have adverse effects on our food. I try to always eat organic but something that I have mostly narrowed down to soy oil in all types of foods causes my body to repeal the food (it literally crawls back up my throat in a mass of mucus) but I think it is also a GMO issue and now that I have learned about what is going on with Roundup, perhaps that as well. It is so hard to tell with food! I think a lawsuit could be possible for Monsanto food related issues now that all this has come out about Roundup Weed Killer issues - and is in trial as I write. I am all for a class action lawsuit. Respond to me if you are interested as well. If there are even 100 people interested, we could have something. 

Not sure in addition to the cancer lawsuit case if you saw Monsanto was sold to a German company. I wanted to let you know as you may have missed the story. I am not in law, but I don't think the new owner could be held responsible for the damage caused by the former owner. 

I believe the cancer lawsuit you're referring to was filed before the sale. It would be info people may want going forward regarding Monsanto regardless of health issue i.e. Cancer, celiac etc.

Archived