Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How Do You Emotionally Deal With Setbacks?

103 posts in this topic

Everything  Gem just said...

except I "only" have 2 AI diseases and some weird connective tissue thing no one can explain, BUT I too am back at the gym weight-training

and using my legs and arms. (for a while there, docs thought I was headed for a "scooter".  :unsure: )

and...except I gained (ahem ) 40 lbs. because I can tolerate a bit more dairy than she can and gelato keeps jumping in the cart at the grocery store

and...

I prefer Irish breakfast tea.  ;)

Ads by Google:

Darn that Jumping Gelato -- a container jumped in my cart last week and I blame Irish ;)

Darn that Jumping Gelato -- a container jumped in my cart last week and I blame Irish ;)

That's so weird!  I thought that only happened at my grocery store!  Crazy to think that Jumping Gelato exists in other places!  :P

LOL!  You've all given me a good laugh that I needed.

Laughter really is the best medicine -- and sometimes the only thing that helps -- hope you are feeling stronger today :)

That's so weird!  I thought that only happened at my grocery store!  Crazy to think that Jumping Gelato exists in other places!  :P

Gotta laugh. Laughing is essential. (and here's a secret... jumping gelato is world-wide!) 

Laughter really is the best medicine -- and sometimes the only thing that helps -- hope you are feeling stronger today :)

I absolutely am...thank you!!  The only thing I wish is that we were all sitting around drinking our coffee/tea and laughing over this together.  I love that you all get where I'm coming from.

Gotta laugh. Laughing is essential. (and here's a secret... jumping gelato is world-wide!) 

That's good to know...anywhere I go, gelato may jump into my shopping cart.  Yum!

I absolutely am...thank you!!  The only thing I wish is that we were all sitting around drinking our coffee/tea and laughing over this together.  I love that you all get where I'm coming from.

So, are you from Iceland or actually in Iceland?  Because I have Iceland on my places to visit and if I do, and you are there, we could definitely get together for tea/coffee/wine......whatever you drink.  Can't have the jumping gelato but I do love a good glass of red wine!  ;)

So, are you from Iceland or actually in Iceland?  Because I have Iceland on my places to visit and if I do, and you are there, we could definitely get together for tea/coffee/wine......whatever you drink.  Can't have the jumping gelato but I do love a good glass of red wine!  ;)

I'm from Iceland, but have lived in the States since I was 8. A lot of my family still lives there and I highly recommend a visit!

I love a glass of red wine too...

Then, it's settled...wine and gelato and we're all set.  ^_^

LOL...The Jumping Gelato was a one time thing -- it is buried in my freezer for me to "trial" at some point.

But I do drink coffee every morning and red wine nearly every evening -- so I am in -- plus who doesn't want to travel ;)

Then, it's settled...wine and gelato and we're all set.  ^_^

Sounds perfect!

Well...now all we have to do is come up with a meeting place.  I'll bring the wine..... :D

Yes, Iceland will be visited in the not so distant future.  Mu husband and I want to see the aurora's, not to mention the natural beauty of Iceland.  I have also heard it is not too hot, weather wise, which is number one on my list of advantages in travel.  I know someone else here who will like that......right, GottaSki?  ;)

and I'll bring more wine  :D

a land in which I do not need to tote my personal cooling pack -- watch out -- I may move in ;)

I so appreciated this post! I had a meltdown after making myself sick with corn, which was an unknown intolerance : / I'm so grateful for this forum and the great people with such encouraging words! I even sat and watched my family eat Taco Bell and KFC today and was feeling sorry for myself, as I ate nothing and just ran to the bathroom repeatedly. Glad I came across this post today, much needed! I sure wish I had that celiac BFF, too!!

I so appreciated this post! I had a meltdown after making myself sick with corn, which was an unknown intolerance : / I'm so grateful for this forum and the great people with such encouraging words! I even sat and watched my family eat Taco Bell and KFC today and was feeling sorry for myself, as I ate nothing and just ran to the bathroom repeatedly. Glad I came across this post today, much needed! I sure wish I had that celiac BFF, too!!

I'm so glad that this post helped you, it helped me so much too.  I'll be your celiac bff!  :rolleyes:

We're all BFF's with Celiac and I'm glad we made you feel better. You do not want to eat Taco Bell or KFC........not only will your gut feel horrible, it really clogs those arteries! Do you like wine?

Well...now all we have to do is come up with a meeting place.  I'll bring the wine..... :D

Yes, Iceland will be visited in the not so distant future.  Mu husband and I want to see the aurora's, not to mention the natural beauty of Iceland.  I have also heard it is not too hot, weather wise, which is number one on my list of advantages in travel.  I know someone else here who will like that......right, GottaSki?  ;)

It is a beautiful place...the auroras are amazing.  It's not hot...ever.  The middle of summer, it is not hot in any way.  I don't know where you live or what kind of weather you are used to but moving from there to here was a huge shock in the change in weather.  I had never experienced 90 degree weather in my life.  

and I'll bring more wine  :D

a land in which I do not need to tote my personal cooling pack -- watch out -- I may move in ;)

First you all had me at Gelato and now you've really got me with wine!

I'm so glad that this post helped you, it helped me so much too. I'll be your celiac bff! :rolleyes:

Total day-turn around!!!

We're all BFF's with Celiac and I'm glad we made you feel better. You do not want to eat Taco Bell or KFC........not only will your gut feel horrible, it really clogs those arteries! Do you like wine?

I hear ya, but it smelled good!!! And I love a sweet, cheap moscato : )

((I need those emoticons!))

I came here today strictly looking for advise on this same sort of thing.  I was diagnosed exactly a month ago and my daughter was diagnosed yesterday.  I am an emotional mess right now, sitting here bawling as type.  It would be easier if I had full custody of my children but I don't and my ex-husband isn't really at an understanding point right now with how to deal with one celiac child when the other is not.  But that is a whole other issue.  My big thing right now is I am finding so many other foods that bother me and make me sick that I am getting scared of what I am putting in my mouth.  Chex cereal is my best friend right now.  I am so tired all the time. I had quit my job two months previous to my diagnosis, I was on the verge of getting fired for illness and really didn't want to get fired.  My boyfriend is laid-off from his job and I have tried to go back to work very part time but I can't even handle a five hour shift.  I am from a small town, my daughter and I are the only ones in town with Celiac so it is hard for people to understand just how I feel.  I have heard co-workers criticizing me for not being able to stay the whole shift.  And to top it all off, have I mentioned I work in a restaurant?  Probably the WORST place for me but my only option when you are dirt poor. I am also having a really hard time excepting the fact that the past can't change.  I can't go back twenty years and get a diagnosis sooner.  I can't go back and not lose three babies and have two premature children. I can't stop the 100 pound weight gain that came out of left field and then the subsequent 150 pound weight loss that has me looking like a tall white Ethiopian that my own uncle doesn't even recognize anymore. I can't stop the migraines ( roughly four a week), the osteoarthritis in my spine, the Grave's disease, or the long grocery list of things that are wrong with me. I don't know how to stop the huge amount of bitterness that I feel over the fact that I had to go through all of that. Or the bitterness of lost jobs due to illness, I used to be an medical lab technician and can no longer function at the ability I need to. Or the hundreds of emergency room visits and being made to feel like it's all in my head. And I am really upset that it took me five minutes to think of the word "bitterness" because of the damn brain fog!!! I know this will get better.  On a brighter note, I haven't had a migraine in a month.  I am just having a hard time coping and feel like I'm drowning and don't know how to fix it.

I hear ya, but it smelled good!!! And I love a sweet, cheap moscato : )

((I need those emoticons!))

All wine, coffee and ice cream lovers welcome...

:mellow:  <_<  :)  :wub:  :(  :unsure:  :blink:  :rolleyes:  :huh:  ^_^  :o  ;)  :P  :D  :lol:  B)  :ph34r:

these are our go to emoticons...try going to full version rather than mobile.

smileys make it better....that is my story and i am stinkin' to it ;)

This here is more to the ones who have been newly diagnosed and feel a bit lost. Gemini made an amazing post, but there are some things I feel were left untouched, which has helped me go through suicidal depression. You will feel a bit lost to begin with, but just stay strong.

You WILL get through this and you WILL become healthy! Keep those words in your mind. Now, the only thing I ask of you is this: Never give up, and never stop having faith that soon enough you'll be bursting with energy and enjoying life with your children. The road is bumpy, but you CAN do it.

Now, what has helped me immensely is something called Lifeflow, which is a meditation track (10 actually) that puts you into a deep state which otherwise would take you 10+ years to master. Through daily meditation I've managed to eliminate a lot of my painful memories and stopped blaming myself for all the wrong doings in the past. Obviously it has to be done consequently, and preferably every day before the rush starts. It helps your body relax more and in return I'm sure it dampens the inflammation (just a guesstimate) to some degree. It also makes your focus and awareness become much sharper, you'll start to feel brighter, more relaxed, and just more in-body overall. I will never stop using Lifeflow as it has definitely changed my way of thinking. Though, I also went a step further and did an Ayahuasca ceremony with a shaman to fully eliminate the trauma left in my body, but that is an extreme I would not recommend with a light heart. Because it puts you under a microscope and forces you to REALLY look at your own life and doings, and it can be terrifying to say the least. But it was also the best moment in my life as I saw things clearly for the first time and really understood what life is.

I hope you all the best and good luck in your journey. Just breathe. Take one day at a time and allow yourself to feel whatever it is. You can not control it, but you can shift your focus and state. Learn that there is no good without bad, and enjoy life for what it is. 

It's both encouraging and heartbreaking to read these stories... I think I was glutened last week by some nut butter I got a whole foods. I'd been feeling great, and got cocky and didn't read the label. Damned shared facility. It's either that or my failed attempts at baking gluten-free bread, either I can't tolerate yeast or the flours from nuts.com were contaminated... Sigh. It's never fun visiting friends and spending your time there on the toilet, or spending your days on the can. More than six months down and still - will it ever end? Each time I think I have it solved, another "blip". I feel like I'm living I morse code with all these damned blips.

It's both encouraging and heartbreaking to read these stories... I think I was glutened last week by some nut butter I got a whole foods. I'd been feeling great, and got cocky and didn't read the label. Damned shared facility. It's either that or my failed attempts at baking gluten-free bread, either I can't tolerate yeast or the flours from nuts.com were contaminated... Sigh. It's never fun visiting friends and spending your time there on the toilet, or spending your days on the can. More than six months down and still - will it ever end? Each time I think I have it solved, another "blip". I feel like I'm living I morse code with all these damned blips.

The gluten-free flours from nuts.com are certified and have never caused me any issues. 

"shared facility" does not mean shared lines, so that may not be it either. 

Sadly, you may have other intolerances (like so many of us do) but you'll figure it out. Hang in there.