This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutino Discontinue Flax Seed And Fiber Breads

mjones32

mjones32 Newbie

I'm ticked off because Glutino (Boulder Brand) has stopped production of their flax seed and fiber breads which were really great substitutes for whole wheat type bread and awesome when toasted.

Does anyone know of good alternatives in a similar style ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I like

Canyon Bakehouse 7 grain bread.

Open Original Shared Link

psawyer Proficient

Udi's has a flax seed bread and a multigrain bread with fiber, both of which we like. Udi's is also owned by Boulder Brands.

mjones32 Newbie

Thanks !  Looks like the Canyon Bakehouse would be worth a try, and actually the rye bread in their range might even be more interesting to me. Our local Target is listed as a supplier.

Udi's I know well, it's definitely OK, but as Boulder has killed their premium brands I'm out to find the best :)

psawyer Proficient

Udi's I know well, it's definitely OK, but as Boulder has killed their premium brands I'm out to find the best :)

Different perspective here. Once I tried Udi's bread, I stopped buying Glutino.

Tastes vary widely in gluten-free baked goods--one person's love is the next person's hate. I hear there are people who actually eat Ener-G bread.  :wacko:

LauraTX Rising Star

....I hear there are people who actually eat Ener-G bread.  :wacko:

Peter has a good point.  They are out there, wherever they are....

I like Rudi's Multigrain bread.  Definitely has to be toasted, though.  Makes great sandwiches and toast.  Haven't tried any other multigrain kind, I eat very little bread.  I would pick up the canyon bakehouse if I saw it based on the number of people that have recommended it, though.

bartfull Rising Star

Yeah Laura, I hope you can find some Canyon Bakehouse. The taste is very similar to Rudy's multi-grain, but the texture is better. The one time I tried Rudy's (on the reccomendation of the guy who runs the health food store) I found that it fell apart. I told him, so he tried the Canyon Bakehouse. Now that's the one he eats too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

I hear there are people who actually eat Ener-G bread.  :wacko:

Nooooo....lol, I can save them a bundle...simply purchase Sheetrock and have it cut into bread sized pieces. I hear the shelf life is identical too ;)

GottaSki Mentor

Ps...my guys prefer Canyon Bakehouse...then taste splits...hubs prefers Udis to Glutino and three Bakers. One young man prefers Glutino and the other ThreeBakers. I purchase them all based on sale prices.

kareng Grand Master

Nooooo....lol, I can save them a bundle...simply purchase Sheetrock and have it cut into bread sized pieces. I hear the shelf life is identical too ;)

LOL!

bartfull Rising Star

But the sheetrock doesn't have that nasty after-taste.

Seeking2012 Contributor

I tried Canyon hot dog buns. Worst thing ever. Texture was perfect but there was absolutely no flavor whatsoever. Are their loaf breads different? I'm put off of Canyon because of my bad hot dog bun experience.

Seeking2012 Contributor

But doesn't sheetrock have gluten? I'm actually serious here...lol...

GottaSki Mentor

But doesn't sheetrock have gluten? I'm actually serious here...lol...

From what I recall it's the drywall mud...but can't remember.  My lungs can't take the sanding process so I'm never around during an installation...search drywall using the forum's search feature and you'll probably find a few threads over the years on the subject.

bartfull Rising Star

I tried Canyon hot dog buns. Worst thing ever. Texture was perfect but there was absolutely no flavor whatsoever. Are their loaf breads different? I'm put off of Canyon because of my bad hot dog bun experience.

Never tried their hot dog buns but I assume they are a white bread type of bun. Their seven-grain bread is more like those mult-grain breads we used to buy from the grocery store. You know, the dark breads with all the nutty bits in them? Lots of flavor and great texture.

Seeking2012 Contributor

Never tried their hot dog buns but I assume they are a white bread type of bun. Their seven-grain bread is more like those mult-grain breads we used to buy from the grocery store. You know, the dark breads with all the nutty bits in them? Lots of flavor and great texture.

Ok well I guess I'll give Canyon another try, with the loaf bread this time...

mjones32 Newbie

Thanks everyone for great input.

I have started reviewing as many products as I can and making a record of my impressions by taste, texture, sweetness, crumbliness, density.  So far tried seven breads.  I've been surprised how much better the breads are than when I first went gluten free - crumbliness and sweetness much improved...lots of pretty good products out there and of course its all a matter of taste :)

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Pretty much it's next to impossible to get in a gluten free food rut when living in a small town--as soon as I get attached to a gluten free product, the stores stop carrying it. Canyon Bakehouse is my favorite but regrettably it didn't last long here, before the store discontinued it.

I've tried ordering it via mail before and the day that I got it delivered by FedEx, I saw another identical box from Canyon Bakehouse. I looked at them wondering if they had packaged my bread in two boxes, no they hadn't. The name on the second box was one of our former celiac support group leaders, apparently I wasn't the only one sad to see it go.

Now I usually just bake my own bread or go without. On the rare occasion that one of those two things isn't an option, I buy Udi's.

This is my favorite bread recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

My favorite bread mix is Pamela's.

Archived