This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cross-Contamination Worsens After gluten-free?

hazelnutty42

hazelnutty42 Rookie

After going gluten-free, do you notice that you are even MORE sensitive to gluten?  Last night I made my kids tacos and I can't recall if I used my knife to cut their flour tortilla but I must have because I was sick the rest of the night. I was not usually so sensitive before but now I think I should be more careful. Anyone find this ultra-sensitivity happening? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Yep, sure seemed like I was more sensitive to gluten after I stopped eating.  I am not sure if that was it or I was just noticing the symptoms more.  It sure doesn't take much gluten to get our immune systems attention.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

Yes, it is not uncommon to become more sensitive to even smaller amounts.  Your symptoms can change and become more severe too.

nvsmom Community Regular

I don't think I became more sensitive, but I think my reaction became more obvious.  Before I was diagnosed I was constantly feeling poor - it was my normal. After being gluten-free for many months, illness was no longer my normal so if something bothered me, it was much more obvious.  KWIM?

For example, when I had a stomach ache after almost every meal, some major cramping was not unusual.  Now, if I get that pain, it really stands out because I don't have that high background pain level.

I don't think my gluten sensitivity changed, just my reaction and/or how I perceived that reaction.

linen53 Rookie

From what I've read, when you go gluten-free your body no longer produces antibodies for gluten so the answer is yes, you do become more sensitive.

nvsmom Community Regular

From what I've read, when you go gluten-free your body no longer produces antibodies for gluten so the answer is yes, you do become more sensitive.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... Do you mean that the autoantibodies are starting at near zero so the will go higher when you eat gluten?

luvs2eat Collaborator

Oh heck yeah... I can count on one hand the real glutenings I've had over the last 10+ years. They got progressively worse until the last one where I swore I would NEVER make the CC mistake again!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

linen53 Rookie

nvsmom, If you don't eat gluten, your body no longer needs to produce antibodies since you are no longer consuming the gluten.  Short answer to your question.  Yes.

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Yes.  Same here.

cap6 Enthusiast

You can become more sensitive.  It's motivation for not taking any chances!

BoJonJovi Newbie

I am fighting that now. I was pretty much asymptomatic. Now anything set me off. Like you, I generally have no idea what it is. It seems each time gets worse. 

fran506 Newbie

Same here. The longer I go gluten-free the more sensitive I become and the more severe my symptoms.

Archived