This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Eat gluten-free Oatmeal?

StClair

StClair Apprentice

I would love to try out oatmeal, but I am nervous because I've been told that even the gluten-free kind can cause problems for celiacs. My diet is severely restricted due to problems with acid reflux/gastritis, and fructose/lactose intolerances, and I need to find more gentle, nourishing food. I would eat it, even with a few "side-effects," as long as I was certain that it would NOT cause intestinal damage.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you have negative effects from consuming anything you shouldn't eat it. It is not just intestinal upset we need to worry about as celiac is an autoimmune disease. 

You could try it when you have fully healed but if you have any negative reaction drop it. When someone does try adding in any new food my doctor advised eating it at least once a day for up to a week as the antibody reaction can be delayed. 

Hope you are one of us that can add it back in. I miss oatmeal but found that Cream of Buckwheat is a good sub for me. 

Gemini Experienced

I love oatmeal and never had any problems from certified gluten-free oats.  I was extremely sick at diagnosis also, yet trialed oatmeal within months of starting the gluten-free diet.  Tolerated it extremely well so go figure, huh?  ;)

I think it is a very independent thing and people react very differently depending on a number of things.  I do not believe that everyone needs to wait a year to try them, either.  That is just the medical profession instilling fear where it doesn't need to be.  One should never be nervous when adding back foods into their diet. I am not really sure if oatmeal would aggravate acid reflux but if you do well with other high fiber foods, it might be OK for you to try.  You will not know if you are one of a very few who cannot tolerate gluten-free oats until you actually try them.  But it will not set you back to square one if you do have a reaction.

I wish you luck....I love oatmeal too!

nvsmom Community Regular

I chickened out and never tried it again after going gluten-free.  Part of the reason for that is that I don't always have severe reactions to gluten and my symptoms' severity sneaks up on me.  I slowly feel worse and worse until it takes quite a while to recover.  It's not worth the risk in my mind, but that's just me.  Many celiacs do just fine with oatmeal... I'll stick to bacon and eggs.  ;)

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Chex makes great gluten free oatmeal that I love more than regular oatmeal - have a couple different flavors.  I'd suggest giving it a try!

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Sorry, but I am too chicken to even try gluten-free oatmeal.. LOL! :D  And I've been gluten-free for almost 6 years now. But I have substituted it with Quinoa for my cereal in the mornings. Just add any berries, walnuts and silk almond milk. It is really so good that I don't even miss oatmeal.  ;)

twe0708 Community Regular

I eat Bob's Red Mill gluten-free every morning.  And yes, I mean every morning.  I don't think it is giving me any problems and I don't know what I would do if I couldn't eat it for breakfast bc what other options would I have,  :(  I'm a very picky eater.  I do on occasion have stomach cramps but can't tell if it's from the eggs or oatmeal, or if something else is causing it.  It only last for 5 to 10 minutes and then goes away.  It also only happens a couple of times a month so if it was the oatmeal I would think it would be a daily thing issue.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

We eat Bob's Red Mill oatmeal regularly (not every day), and have no problems with it. I find it to be a good source of dietary fiber--something the gluten-free diet is often short of.

Michielyn Newbie

I ate it for a couple weeks post diagnosis, but I stopped when I realized I was still eating something causing a reaction. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the oatmeal but I'm scared to start again. I DO eat the Chex gluten-free granola without problems.

obesiac Newbie

Over the years I have tried oats and I think they make my vision blurry. That may sound odd to a non celiac but to you people just a normal conversation, right?

So I'm never eating oats again.

jrlaird Rookie

Obesiac, I have the same issue when I eat soy (one of my food sensitivities). My eyes get blurry and it's really frustrating. Its nice to know Im not the only person who has had vision symptoms from a food they ate.

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...
LucyGoose Newbie

I had a reaction to gluten free oatmeal after I was first diagnosed. I tried it again periodically, and after about two and a half years was able to eat it again without feeling bad.

psawyer Proficient

I had a reaction to gluten free oatmeal after I was first diagnosed. I tried it again periodically, and after about two and a half years was able to eat it again without feeling bad.

During the healing process, you may react to many things that do not contain gluten, but are still a challenge for the gut. Most experts suggest waiting at least six months before trying pure oatmeal. It was several years after my diagnosis that pure oatmeal was available in Canada.
  • 3 weeks later...
StClair Apprentice

OP here. Well, I had a big bowl of oatmeal this morning, 3 months post-diagnosis and gluten free (as far as I know), and so far everything is fine. In my former life, pre-gluten-free, oatmeal would always make me feel a little bit queasy for awhile, but nothing now. And it was a big bowl. Breakfast is starting to look up! I've also recently tried gluten free pancake mix, which I was avoiding because acid reflux/fried, etc, and it did not make me feel sick either, for the first time in my life.

Hoping no silent destruction is going on, but if I continue with no symptoms I'll probably continue with the oatmeal, as it is highly recommended for my still healing gastritis/esophagitis.

GF Lover Rising Star

Glad things are looking up :)

Colleen

Archived