This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonald's French Fries Not Safe?

pixiegirl

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Thanks for checking into it --will be looking forward to what they told you. . . . Lynne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teebs in WV Apprentice

You know, this is what scares me about us relying on 'safe' food lists. I know alot of people on here rely on the gluten-free bible, and the delphi list, but when companies can change ingredients any time they wish without no prior notice, I don't think that we should rely on these lists 100%. I know it is a pain to read every stinking label before you put something in your mouth or on your skin, but that is the only safe way. Of course that assumes that the product is labeled correctly.....

Susan - thank you from all of us for bringing this to our attention. I had just started eating their fries in the past month - I was chicken to try it before.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your kind words... I went to bed last night feeling... well not bad that I posted the info about McDonalds but more... shaking my head at the human race for a couple of people being angry at me. It wasn't anyone who posted in this thread it was privately to my e-mail. But I'm a big girl and I would never let it stop me from doing the right thing.

You know what I'm really thinking.... I really hate to say this and I'm hoping we will find out today when someone calls McDonalds (I hope a lot of people do) but I think this is the labeling law. I'm thinking McDonalds has not changed their recipe at all. I have read many times, statements from McDonalds saying that the only real change they have "ever" made to their fries was the change from frying in lard to veggie oil and that they would never mess with a good thing.

And the last few times I ate there I had fruit salad (no nuts but did eat the yogurt with it), vanilla milk shake and fries (you can see why I don't eat there too often I'd be the size of a barn!) and I always felt a little funny, my excuse was that I don't often eat much oil and that the greasy-ness of the fries bothered me. Or maybe the dairy. But I'm just going to bet the fries had this seasoning on them since day one, and that it is very little so the amount of gluten I ingested was small enough to not give me belly pains but just make me feel funny.

So angry at them!

Susan

I've posted to this topic more then anyone!! Sorry I couldn't consolidate it all! I was just reading on my peanut allergy list and found this about the new ingredient listings at McDonalds:

"I called McDonalds and was told that yes, this is true. There is milk/wheat in the 'natural' flavorings. They also said this is not a reformulation - that it was there all along. I'm not sure what to think, but if you want to call them for more information, their phone number is 877-623-3663 (provided by FAAN). I have also asked FAAN to look into it, since this isn't a change, it isn't an alert - it's part of the whole label declaration FALCPA."

Susan

bluelotus Contributor

I hate to be so predictably American here, but can some sue their asses if they really have had wheat all along, though they are listed as gluten-free? I guess you would have to show some sort of direct harm, which would be very difficult, but I always have wondered about how we know what they (companies) are telling us is actually the truth? Scary.....

Eeyorific Rookie

This is so upsetting!

Sunday night, after 6 hours of painting, I wasn't up for cooking, so asked hubby to stop and grab something.. Sounds easy... NOT! First, he had to go get a Gerber meal for my THREE yr old, because being that he's gluten-free/CF and Corn free, there is not a safe place for him to just grab something at.

Then.. being that the McDonalds fries are the only thing I really like at McD's I called Arby's to talk to the manager about what they could possibly have that is safe for me. I was most concerned about C.C. issues, I have searched the website and saw that the beef and cheddar w/out bun should be safe, but I wanted to be sure the manager knew prior to hubby getting there, (he wouldn't cover this) that it can not touch the bun at any point!, and to please wash hands or use clean gloves... Well. She kindly suggested that I find some other place to eat at! That she doesn't think they're able to help me!

Ok.. so after a 10 minute cry... I call hubby back and just tell him to forget about me. I don't need to eat, just to get something safe for dd at McDonalds.

He ended up getting himself Arbys, and came home with 2 beef and cheddars without bun (I nearly cried just looking at how gross it looked without a bun!!)

He was kind enough to get dd a happy meal.. but it wasn't a plain patty w/out bun.. it was NUGGETS!!!

I couldn't believe it!!! His defense was, this is what she'd always get.. Yes dear... PRIOR to going gluten-free in NOVEMBER!!!! We RARELY eat out (can you tell why!!??!!) but due to traveling we did a couple of months ago.. he KNEW how to safely order for her.

Anyway.. so I gave her one of my *yummy* :huh: Arby's beef and we shared her fries.

All day yesterday (Monday) I have been very emotional.. crying at a whim. just as I sit here, tears are coming down! My daughter came home last night very much the same!! Completely not ourselfs! This whole fries issue may be just the answer! Back before Matthew went corn free, the last few times we got hime McD's he would end up with 15 or more diarrhea's I always thought it was due to C.C.

Susan, I for one am very thankful you posted this. Not happy at all about it, but at least I know I need to work on planning ahead and freezing foods for those nights I just don't feel up to cooking.

I just pray my Endometriosis isn't bad this month due to this infraction. Last month it was HORRIBLE!!!! Then I cheated on purpose, but due to being stuck in bed for days with my Endo acting up, I learned my lesson.

*sigh* well,... this too shall pass!!

Kristie M.

"The truth of God's love is not that he allows bad things to happen....

it's his promise that he will be there with us when they do!"

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi all--

Did you all toss and turn all nite like me????

I didn't cry last nite like you Nini--(how are you doing this am??) b/c when i get so mad, angry, and hurt, I can't --wish i could...) :( --but I do think there a some good ideas from Tracy and Susan this am..after the dust has settled alittle :blink::blink::blink:

Tracy--

I don't think that we should rely on these lists 100%. I know it is a pain to read every stinking label before you put something in your mouth or on your skin, but that is the only safe way. Of course that assumes that the product is labeled correctly.....

Agree--I use these as my guide lines so I don't have to read EVERY LABEL ON EVERY PACKAGE IN EVERY STORE--------BUT--Since there are maybe 7,000 member on here..I use our members and let's see that's 7,000 pair of eyes looking at products.

Between all our eyes, our postings, the lists, if we can trust them any more...(Is Kraft still a good guy)...we all have to make our own lists...but our members on this forum are such a life line to me.

Susan

new ingredient listings at McDonalds:

1..."I called McDonalds and was told that yes, this is true. There is milk/wheat in the 'natural' flavorings. They also said this is not a reformulation - that it was there all along. I'm not sure what to think, but if you want to call them for more information, their phone number is 877-623-3663 (provided by FAAN). I have also asked FAAN to look into it, since this isn't a change, it isn't an alert - it's part of the whole label declaration FALCPA."

VydorScope Proficient

PLEASE Post when you hear back from the awful clown that runs that joint. I need to know if they have always had wheat in them (like I suspect is the case).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

thanks for asking about me this am Judy... I'm kinda numb. Still very upset about this and frustrated. I haven't said anything to my daughter about it yet. Just couldn't deal with upsetting her first thing this morning. I just think it's so unfair, especially since I just had to take away her favorite cereal too.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Yes, I tossed and turned all night -- didn't sleep AT ALL. I am so furious. I agree with (can't remember who it was) about being typical Americans -- she's right -- sue their asses -- get a class action suit going, and they'll have to answer to what did you say, 7,000 people? I also posted a thread about Kroger Golden Korn Nuggets discreetly adding CONTAINS: WHEAT now at the bottom of their box -- and am wondering how long they contained wheat before getting nailed and having to list it. I think these companies need to be made examples and need to be held responsible for making a LOT of people very sick. I'm usually not either litigious nor this angry, but this crap has to stop. We need to know that our food is safe -- and that the companies can't change ingredients on a whim without informing us. Anyway, I'm finished. Sorry for venting so much . . . I'll be less aggressive some other time :ph34r: . . . Lynne

VydorScope Proficient
Yes, I tossed and turned all night -- didn't sleep AT ALL. I am so furious. I agree with (can't remember who it was) about being typical Americans -- she's right -- sue their asses -- get a class action suit going, and they'll have to answer to what did you say, 7,000 people? I also posted a thread about Kroger Golden Korn Nuggets discreetly adding CONTAINS: WHEAT now at the bottom of their box -- and am wondering how long they contained wheat before getting nailed and having to list it. I think these companies need to be made examples and need to be held responsible for making a LOT of people very sick. I'm usually not either litigious nor this angry, but this crap has to stop. We need to know that our food is safe -- and that the companies can't change ingredients on a whim without informing us. Anyway, I'm finished. Sorry for venting so much . . . I'll be less aggressive some other time :ph34r: . . . Lynne

RE: Kroger

See our replies in that thread, they told us were adding wheat ahead of time, and I posted it. That was like 6 monthsa go or somthing, and then a few months ago the new boxes with wheat have started showing up.

RE: Kroger

See our replies in that thread, they told us were adding wheat ahead of time, and I posted it. That was like 6 monthsa go or somthing, and then a few months ago the new boxes with wheat have started showing up.

Heres the link to my orginal post...

Open Original Shared Link

happygirl Collaborator

Nini-I have a Kroger over near me in Virginia Beach. Do you want me to head over and see if they have any of the "safe" ones left? I would be more than happy to buy them and ship them to you. (I understand the importance of stocking up on products going out of business) Let me know!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

to Susan

"I called McDonalds and was told that yes, this is true. There is milk/wheat in the 'natural' flavorings. They also said this is not a reformulation - that it was there all along. I'm not sure what to think, but if you want to call them for more information, their phone number is 877-623-3663 (provided by FAAN). I have also asked FAAN to look into it, since this isn't a change, it isn't an alert - it's part of the whole label declaration FALCPA."

I just called and used your info.

Eddie...poor guy,,,was so nice...he said 'YES FF ARE NOT gluten-free'

I had gone on the web site posted last nite where all the ingre are on a grid and sure enought the ff have an X in wheat...

1. I asked when the change came about? He didn't know

2. Asked if H browns were gluten-free ..were they in the same fryer..NO each has own designated fryer..Hmmm??

3. Said all H b -ff- ck nuggets etc. had there own fryers...(they must have a zillion friers :blink: ) just can't buy this one....folks...

Anyway,,,I was so nice to him...asked him to have someone in corp to call me ASAP with the infor as to when this ingre change was made..why the gluten-free list wasn't on line anymore. He said he'd mail me one..I said will it have old information or updated one???

SHOOT LOST THE POST AND MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT..Grrr

anyway...gave him my phone#, email, etc. and said since my celiac.com forum trusted them and we have been such a supporter of them, I was sure they would want the correct information out there and that they would be getting alot of phone calls about this issue today so if corp could please call me i could pass on the information to the 7,000 members and thus avoid alot of phone calls to him today.. :lol:

That sure got Eddie's attention.

I say,,call everyone, and let them know in a polite way..I even mentioned the little kids (Nini) who want to be 'like normal kids' and those of us who travel,eat on the run etc etc etc.

Let's call...I have got to get off this computer. :)

Am anxious to see what results the rest of you get.

Judy in Philly

VydorScope Proficient
Nini-I have a Kroger over near me in Virginia Beach. Do you want me to head over and see if they have any of the "safe" ones left? I would be more than happy to buy them and ship them to you. (I understand the importance of stocking up on products going out of business) Let me know!

YOu know thats not a bad I idea we have lots of Korgers by us... wonder if any of them have teh old stock still. Bet I could get $10 a box for wheat free ones :lol:

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Okay folks, posting with what feels like a MAJOR hang over, only I didn't even at least have the fun of partying in order to deserve this "hangover"!! LOL! I don't know whether it was fries or not, but I was definitely glutened. This makes twice in one month - NOT GOOD!

I am going to try to get in touch with McD's Canada today....... I'll post what I find out.....

Hugs.

Karen

lauriel234 Explorer

I just read this posting about McDonalds fries and am very upset. My daughter has been eating the fries almost everyday for lunch. I just sent McDonalds an email trying to find out when this change occurred. I think we should all send letters and/or emails or call them to let them know how upset we are about this. I also asked them why there was no press coverage regarding this change (also the fact there are meat products in them, people thought there was none). There are hundreds of people eating the fries every day, getting sick without knowing how or why.

Just got off the phone with McD's Canada - FRIES IN CANADA ARE STILL SAFE - NO CHANGE!

McD's Canada and USA are two TOTALLY different things apparently - US ingredients can differ totally from Cda. Although she couldn't see the change in the US list (like some posters here), she did confirm there has been absolutely no change in the Canadian version of the fries.......

I must have been glutened down at the CareBears show somehow.......

Hugs.

Karen

happygirl Collaborator

Or, Karen, it could have been from cross-contamination with the fries, potentially!

Hope you are feeling better. xoxo

skoki-mom Explorer
Just got off the phone with McD's Canada - FRIES IN CANADA ARE STILL SAFE - NO CHANGE!

McD's Canada and USA are two TOTALLY different things apparently - US ingredients can differ totally from Cda. Although she couldn't see the change in the US list (like some posters here), she did confirm there has been absolutely no change in the Canadian version of the fries.......

I must have been glutened down at the CareBears show somehow.......

Hugs.

Karen

OMG Karen, thank you so much for calling! I actually just logged on to get the phone number for corporate office and thought I'd swing by here first! I am almost in tears at relief (over French fries, for goodness sakes.........this disease does wierd things to a person), but now I also feel a little bit guilty that our American friends have been ripped off!!! Just want to let you in the US know that I will still send a e-mail to the US McD's on your behalf and on behalf of all of us who might have occasion to travel to the States.

Thanks so much Karen!

VydorScope Proficient
OMG Karen, thank you so much for calling! I actually just logged on to get the phone number for corporate office and thought I'd swing by here first! I am almost in tears at relief (over French fries, for goodness sakes.........this disease does wierd things to a person), but now I also feel a little bit guilty that our American friends have been ripped off!!! Just want to let you in the US know that I will still send a e-mail to the US McD's on your behalf and on behalf of all of us who might have occasion to travel to the States.

Thanks so much Karen!

Could you start shipping fries to Nini? Can we start a black market for FF's??? :ph34r:

elonwy Enthusiast

Other that my fury at losing the second to last place I can eat french fries outside my house, Here's my current problem. After clearing history and restarting I was able to see the updated pages. THe ingredient list clearly states wheat, but the gluten-free page, updated the same day, stil says fries are fine.

Some hapless new celiac is going run across that, think fries are still fine and go eat them. It sucks that we can't have them, I don't see us changing mcdonalds formulas anytime soon, but that bad information needs to get fixed. I double-check labels on other lists while buying stuff, but at restaurants, we really have to take the word of the establisment, so gluten-free lists need to be as accurate as possible.

I'm going to be calling to rant about THAT detail today.

Elonwy

VydorScope Proficient
Other that my fury at losing the second to last place I can eat french fries outside my house, Here's my current problem. After clearing history and restarting I was able to see the updated pages. THe ingredient list clearly states wheat, but the gluten-free page, updated the same day, stil says fries are fine.

Some hapless new celiac is going run across that, think fries are still fine and go eat them. It sucks that we can't have them, I don't see us changing mcdonalds formulas anytime soon, but that bad information needs to get fixed. I double-check labels on other lists while buying stuff, but at restaurants, we really have to take the word of the establisment, so gluten-free lists need to be as accurate as possible.

I'm going to be calling to rant about THAT detail today.

Elonwy

Yea I see the same thing. :angry:

I think somebody should contact that writer for the Wall Street Journal and explain to him what is going on. This is a perfect example of the difficulties celiacs have. This would be an awesome opportunity for him to highlight how a major corporation could be poisoning tens of thousands of Americans due to their negligence..... Maybe as an investigative reporter, he can get to the bottom of whether it is a new formulation or they have contained wheat the whole time......

Karen

bluelotus Contributor

Just called them and now I am confused :blink:

He (Ron) said that they just got an internal memo and have removed wheat as an ingrediant on the list for FF. The deal is that the oil used (he didn't mention flavorings) with the FF contained remnants of dairy and wheat. But, he told me that the suppliers believe that the wheat and dairy proteins are removed during processing, so these ingrediants are no longer in the fries.

I was confused and didn't pursue this further - but how are they certain the proteins are removed? Do they test the oil? And why didn't he mention natural flavoring? Ugh....what the h is going on?

Moongirl Community Regular

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THEM.....

THIS INGREDIENT WAS ALWAYS IN THE FRENCH FRIES BUT THEY NEVER DISCLOSED IT....NOW THEY HAVE TO DUE TO THE NEW LAWS...

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE GUY FROM MCDONALDS SAID....BECAUSE THEY ARE PARFRIED THE WHEAT AND DAIRY PROTEINS ARE DESTROYED!!!!!!

SO NOTHING IN THE FRIES CHANGED, THIS INGREDIENT HAS BEEN THERE THE WHOLE TIME!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Karen great idea. Are you feeling better?

vincent, I through out all my pans too but kept 2 old beat up 40 year old stainless steel. Think they are ok?

Just got some new stainless steel set but liked the size of theold 2 I kept.

judy

Archived