This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonald's French Fries Not Safe?

pixiegirl

teebs in WV Apprentice

Vincent,

I swear to you that when I first went to the McDonald's gluten-free list it had a date of 2/6/06. After I posted the link here, went back to my McDonald's page, it was showing the 9/28/05 date! What the heck is going on? I did what you suggested - deleted my internet files and refreshed. Now I keep getting the 9/28/05 stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient
Vincent,

I swear to you that when I first went to the McDonald's gluten-free list it had a date of 2/6/06. After I posted the link here, went back to my McDonald's page, it was showing the 9/28/05 date! What the heck is going on? I did what you suggested - deleted my internet files and refreshed. Now I keep getting the 9/28/05 stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks!

The gluten-free menu is dated 9/28/2005, but the link that talks about the wheat is this one:

Open Original Shared Link

which is dated 2/3/2006

pixiegirl Enthusiast

The page with the wheat is clearly dated at the bottom as 2/3/06. It is brand new.

But I totally agee with the poster who said (can't remember who right now) its just potatoes why did they go screw them up??

Sigh. Susan

angel-jd1 Community Regular

If you are a McD's fry lover like I am, I suggest that you begin writing letters. It may make an impact. It couldn't hurt. Here is what I wrote.

Dear McDonalds,

I am a customer with celiac disease (can not have gluten). I noticed that you updated your menu. French fries now contain wheat! I am Sooooooo upset. I absolutely love your fries. Mcdonalds was the last place around where I could eat the french fries. You have really made a huge mistake by adding wheat to the ingredients. There are so many people with celiac and gluten intollerance, and we ALL love mcd's fries!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change them back to not contain wheat!! I will miss them terribly, and I will miss eating at mcdonalds. I won't go there now that I can not eat the fries. Please change them!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Perhaps this has already been posted but I thought McDonald's fries were safe... at this web site for McDonalds USA ingredients it clearly says that the fries contain wheat ingredients! When did this change occur?

The french fries are listed about half way down the page and it clearly says:

natural flavor ( beef, wheat, dairy sources).

This was the only place I would eat french fries and now it looks like that is out.

the page is here:

Susan

teebs in WV Apprentice

This is driving me crazy - even when I go through the link posted here - it is still taking me to info dated 9/28/05. I give - I will just take your word for it.

VydorScope Proficient
This is driving me crazy - even when I go through the link posted here - it is still taking me to info dated 9/28/05. I give - I will just take your word for it.

Try this. Close everything. Then just open Internet explorer. Dump the cache again, then clsoe Explorer and reboot. Once that is done, come back here and try the link.

bluelotus Contributor

Just download the pdf for you all that couldn't read it (I couldn't get the wheat to come up either, but its in the pdf)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
and wouldn't you assume that the hash browns are fried in the same frier as the fries??????
Everything that is cooked with the fries will be contaminated. Therefore, if the hash browns are cooked in the same oil as the french fries, then they won't be safe.

Alot of people with celiac disease and wheat allergies could get sick from MacDonald's changing their ingredients. I don't eat at MacDonald's but I know that some do and I just hope that they see this thread before they get sick :(

Lisa Mentor
The page with the wheat is clearly dated at the bottom as 2/3/06. It is brand new.

But I totally agee with the poster who said (can't remember who right now) its just potatoes why did they go screw them up??

Sigh. Susan

Me, Lisa B.

My thoughts are that they are comming out with a seasoned french fry that will contaminate the fryer. No more disignated special fryer at McD's.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

It appears Vydersope was right the entire time (regarding McD's Fries having wheat in them)...

I still can't get it to come up, but this is tragic news.

I don't think its "new" product, but perhaps they are abiding by the 2006 Food Allergen Law???

Carriefaith Enthusiast
It appears Vydersope was right the entire time (regarding McD's Fries having wheat in them)... I still can't get it to come up, but this is tragic news. I don't think its "new" product, but perhaps they are abiding by the 2006 Food Allergen Law???
I always thought that the fries must have contained dairy since I would get sick after eating them. I also suspect that they may have had wheat in them all along.
teebs in WV Apprentice

I have on my computer screen a McDonalds gluten-free menu and at the bottom it is dated 2-3-06. On this list of 'safe' foods is french fries. If I look at the ingredients screen, french fries are clearly labeled as containing wheat ingredients. I have sent an e-mail to McDonalds asking for clarification and asking for their website to be corrected - one way or another. I will attempt to link this page again, but I am afraid it will screw up again - but here goes............

Honest - on my screen at the bottom it shows 2-3-6! :lol:

bluelotus Contributor
I always thought that the fries must have contained dairy since I would get sick after eating them. I also suspect that they may have had wheat in them all along.

That would be so messed up if they had wheat in them this whole time. I stopped eating out and limit my processed food consumption b/c I was still getting sick and figured those would be good to eliminate, just in case. Now, I think I have even less trust in the food industry (if that's possible)......Grrrrrr. How many of you all want to call them tomorrow and bug them with me ???

teebs in WV Apprentice
:lol: Wow! I think this is the fastest moving thread that I've seen! We are at 3 pages in one hour - I think this may beat the "doctor bashing" thread! :lol:
Carriefaith Enthusiast
That would be so messed up if they had wheat in them this whole time. I stopped eating out and limit my processed food consumption b/c I was still getting sick and figured those would be good to eliminate, just in case. Now, I think I have even less trust in the food industry (if that's possible)......Grrrrrr. How many of you all want to call them tomorrow and bug them with me ???
I think some of us should contact them and clarify the situation. Some questions to ask:

Did your fries always have wheat in them?

Is the change in your french fry ingredients new?

How were you planning to alert individuals with celiac disease and wheat/gluten allergies or intolerances?

Will you have dedicated friers for hash browns?

I persoanally don't eat at MacDonalds, but I want to write them an e-mail just for all the people who do eat there.

Guest nini

OMG You are frickin sh*&&*ng me.... GRRRRRRRR :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: McD's Fries have been one of the few normal kid treats that were safe for my daughter. I cannot believe that they would mess with them. This is really upsetting.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

When I was working there as a kid (16) which was a REALLY long time ago, the french fries came in half-cooked -- they were first cooked in lard, then frozen. We did cook the hash browns in the same vat that we cooked the fries. Now?? Who knows. I do know that the Gluten Free Bible states that the Chicken Bacon Ranch salad is gluten-free, but this list DOES NOT. I'm in for bombarding McDonalds and getting some real answers. Let me know if you want a revolt! . . . . Lynne

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I do know that the Gluten Free Bible states that the Chicken Bacon Ranch salad is gluten-free, but this list DOES NOT.
So that is another product from MacDonald's that has changed? What are they doing?
teebs in WV Apprentice

I was just going through that entire list and I see that the bacon is listed as containing wheat........I don't know about anything else that is different.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
So that is another product from MacDonald's that has changed? What are they doing?

What are they doing??? --I'll tell you what they are doing---????

they are driving us ' :blink: friggn' nuts :rolleyes:

They are sure going to hear from me. We're heading to CA and i thought well if I get 'hung up some where

foodless....there's always a Micky D's french fries........ :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::(

Judy in Philly

Guest nini

well I just sent them a really nasty e-mail... everyone needs to e-mail them, call them, bombard them... this is just CRAP!

VydorScope Proficient
It appears Vydersope was right the entire time (regarding McD's Fries having wheat in them)...

I still can't get it to come up, but this is tragic news.

I don't think its "new" product, but perhaps they are abiding by the 2006 Food Allergen Law???

Often I realy hate it when I am right. :angry:

bluelotus Contributor

Wo-hoo, revolution, I love it!! I am always up for some excitement and a break up of the monotony!

Seriously though, great potential questions from Carrie. I just hope we all don't end up talking to the same poor customer service rep when really its the higher-ups that have to answer for this.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I'm sorry to have been the one to have seen this.. (I'm getting nasty letters from 2 people that I guess couldn't see it and have said I'm crazy/making this up!!) .

I can only hope that it is some sort of error but, I'm not sure it is. When I go to the gluten free menu dated 2/3/06 it too lists the french fries as containing wheat and gluten. So I'm sorry to say I believe its true.

I guess i'm going to buy a fryer tomorrow so I can at least have french fries now and then, but it was just so easy to have McDonalds when traveling by car and at airports and such. When Celiac is so often in the news now its shocking to me that they did this.

Susan

psawyer Proficient

This is indeed sad news. McD was a place where I felt safe ordering the hash browns (cooked in the same oil as the fries), and even the fries once in a while. It was the only place I could grab a quick breakfast on the run when travelling. My guess is that this is a change to the product, since I have not had any problems with them in the past. The ingredient list mentions "breading" and I am certain I was told, many times, that their fries were not breaded or coated. But it sounds like now they will be.

Why the F** couldn't they leave a good thing alone? :angry::angry::angry:

My two cents (which will no longer have any chance to be spent at the Godamn Arches).

:o

Archived