20 replies to this topic

#16 hlm34

hlm34

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

i love food for life brown rice bread. I eat two slices with butter every morning.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:06 AM

Manna from Anna fan here!! She even has a dairy free bread mix.

I make a loaf and scoop some of the batter/dough in to English Muffin rounds, so I have an awesome sandwich loaf and several perfect rolls for burgers, etc.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#18 Lynxear

Lynxear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Oh, you are another Calgary resident. Go to Earth's Oven on 33 Ave in Marda loop they have some great different breads there. The Kinnickinnick rice/tapioca cheese bread is good and if you put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes it will make it soft so you can make sandwiches with it. Also the Kinnickinnick raisin bread is not bad and they have great bagels. You can get the bagels at Amaranth foods. I find the breads in Lakeview bakery to be not very good. Also Earth's Oven has pizza crusts and if you go to the Currie Barracks farmers market Terra Cotto has good stuff and they are Celiacs.

It does get easier to do this and I have to agree that most strictly rice bread is like eating dirt.

Well I truly thank everyone for their responses.

I think I have found a bread that I like!!!! It is made by Glutino, Laval Quebec...here is their website

Glutino

I don't know if it is distributed in the USA but I found it in Canada Safeway in Glenmore Landing. It is a few cents cheaper than the Kinnickinnick breads that they have there so I decided to give them a try (the Scottsman in me :) )

I bought the Flax Seed Bread (gluten free). As I told you before, I am (was) a bread junkie (mind you at these prices I will have to curtail that a bit...hahaha). I have not eaten this bread "raw" but the first thing I did when I got home was thaw 2 pieces and pop it into the toaster. It ACTUALLY had a blush of brown on it as though it toasted....the pieces were very sturdy and did not melt or fall apart in the toaster as ordinary white rice bread did (this bread is made from corn starch, tapioca starch, whole flax seeds, safflower oil, flax seed meal, evaporated cane juice, dried egg whites plus other stuff....it may contain traces of soy according to the label)

When I buttered it the slices did not fall apart....then I put my organic peanut butter on and had my first decent toasted peanut butter toast in weeks!!!

The texture and taste are great!!!

I may be preaching to the converted here but I found this to be a great tasting product. I have the hamburger buns as well which I will treat like English muffins. They also have 7" pizza crusts there too at this store.

I found that not all Safeway stores carry gluten free bread or products....Glenmore Landing is a pretty large and well stocked store. I go to Marda Loop every so often I will check out Earth's Oven too....Thanks

#19 HAPPY DOG SUZ

HAPPY DOG SUZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:03 AM

We make a homemade gluten-free bread that is really really good. You do need a break maker though, but we make it 2-3 times a week. If you want I can post it here a little later, but my mom would have to type it out.

~molly

:D Aloha,
I would love your recipe for good home made gluten-free bread Thank You, ><>suzanne<><

#20 I_am_silly_yak

I_am_silly_yak

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi

This is my second week of going wheat free but I am suffering from withdrawl :(

I confess to loving breads...they have been the waterloo of my diet life. I love eggs on toast for breakfast. I bought a rice bread from the local health food store but it is UNTOASTABLE.

I might as well nuke it in a microwave just to heat it up. In a toaster it often get gooey and falls apart when I try to remove it. I have tried spelt grain bread in the past but it seems to be the same as a wheat bread as to its effect on me so that is out.

Rice bread works, but "raw" it is just inedible and toasted just won't work. My only solution so far is to fry it in a pan with butter...at least it gets some color and I can lift it out with a spatula in one piece....and then place a fried or poached egg on top.

Are all rice breads like this??? Is there an alternative to rice bread that is not spelt??

Oh man, I went through the same problem as you. I had been eating toast every morning since I was a little kid. After I finally found out that I was celiac and not just crazy, I was so frustrated in the morning without the joy of toasted bread and butter. I've tried some of the ready made breads--Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse makes some wonderful products, but their super pricey and the nearest whole foods is twenty miles from me. I've tried many and the best by far is Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful Gluten Free Bread. You can buy it online but I buy it at my local health food store. It makes awesome toast. Unfortunately, it's a mix that I have to make myself. I wish someone would sell it ready made.

Man, please stay away from spelt, rye, barley, kamut and things that are sold as "wheat-free." Wheat-free does not mean gluten free. Best of luck to you living as a silly-yak.

#21 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:41 AM

My favorite bread is Whole Foods' Gluten Free Bakehouse Sundried Tomato Garlic Bread. Toasted with butter. It's SO yummy. Especially along with a Tinkyada spaghetti dinner. :D

I'm going to have to try that flax bread. A PB&J sounds so good right now.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: