This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free/cf Comfort Food Recipes...

lorka150

felineaids Rookie
as a rule of thumb, omitting xanthan works better in smaller baked goods... you might want to try pitas, bagels, buns, muffins, before a loaf of bread. can you have baking powder? or just soda? what about egg replacer?

i can help you for sure - i just need more info :)

lorka,

Thanks so much for responding. I appreciate your willingness to try and help me.

One of my problems is that I haven't even found a recipe that would make a

good starting point. The recipes I've found contained a rediculous number

of ingredients -- there was no way to modify them. Leaving out xanthan gum

wouldn't have mattered because these formulations were so disfunctional to

begin with.

Where my quest for sandwich bread is concerned, it is possible to make

a good sandwich bread with the ingredients I prevously listed. I just don't

have the recipe.

millet flour

rice flour

baking soda

vitamin C

salt (NOT seas salt)

honey

agave nectar

If you or anyone else would be game to help me with this challenge, I'll

happily welcome the assistance. Where your suggestion of pitas is concerned,

I'd be happt to give that a try, but I still need a recipe (and I can't use tapioca,

arrowroot, pectin, or any of the other allergens that gluten-free recipes usually

call for).

I haven't enjoyed good experiences with baking powder. I'm essentially stuck with

baking soda. As for egg replacer, I would have to say no. I haven't found one that

didn't contain at least a few thigns I'm allergic to.

I'm eager to hear your suggestions, as I'm eager to get baking. Thanks again for the reply.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lorka150 Collaborator

just one more question... any chance you can have flax or gelatin?

felineaids Rookie
just one more question... any chance you can have flax or gelatin?

Wow! You're really fast! Okay... I cannot have flax. Where gelatin is concerned,

it would probably have t be a pure pork gelatin (and I haven't been able to find one --

everything at my health food store had gum or other ingredients tossed in).

TCA Contributor

Maybe a tortilla or flat bread type recipe??????

Thanks for the reply. My list of allergies is extensive, and it includes gum -- which is one of the most difficult allergens to deal with.

Where comfort food is concerned, I'd love to be able to eat sandwich bread -- that was always a comfort food. However, I can't find a viable recipe. I know it's technologically possible to make a bread I can eat with the ingredients available, but I need a recipe to work with. HEre are the ingredients I can work with.

millet flour

rice flour

baking soda

vitamin C

salt (NOT seas salt)

honey

agave nectar

If anyone has thoughts, I'd welcome them. Bread used to be a comfort food... I just need to figure out how to make it.

felineaids Rookie
Maybe a tortilla or flat bread type recipe??????

Thanks for the reply. There's honestly no reason that I shouldn't be able to make sandwich bread with these ingredients. It's technologically possible, but the gluten-free baking companies haven't tried it because it's so convenient to simply throw in various types of gum and other harmful allergens

This is a vast forum and I'm still hoping someone will be able to figure this out.

Green12 Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. My list of allergies is extensive, and it includes gum -- which is one of the most difficult allergens to deal with.

Where comfort food is concerned, I'd love to be able to eat sandwich bread -- that was always a comfort food. However, I can't find a viable recipe. I know it's technologically possible to make a bread I can eat with the ingredients available, but I need a recipe to work with. HEre are the ingredients I can work with.

millet flour

rice flour

baking soda

vitamin C

salt (NOT seas salt)

honey

agave nectar

If anyone has thoughts, I'd welcome them. Bread used to be a comfort food... I just need to figure out how to make it.

Hi felineaids, is this all you can eat or is this the list for acceptable ingredients only for making bread? Can you have other foods in addition to these items and if so what, like other grains, fruits and vegetables, liquids, fats/oils? I need more information to try to come up with something for you, maybe not bread, but something that is somewhat comforting.

If you can have millet flour, I assume you can have millet? If so, there is a great recipe for a millet porrige cooked in a pressure cooker. I don't usually like millet cooked on the stove top, but I LOVE millet in the pressure cooker- it comes out so soft and oatmeal like and has really good flavor. I'll have to look for the recipe for the measurements but you basically take millet, water, a little coconut oil, shredded carrot and onion put it in the pressure cooker and cook. I have even taken this cooked millet and made millet cakes with it, just formed them into patties and browned in a little olive oil in a pan. You could then make a little gravy with chicken stock and rice flour to put over them. I don't know if these are safe ingredients for you.

Mock Millet Mashed Potatoes are maybe a possibility as well:

1 tbsp. coconut oil

1 small chopped onion

1 shredded carrot (optional)

1 c. washed millet

1/2 head of cauliflower

2 3/4 c. water

1/4 tsp salt

Saute the onion in the coconut oil in the uncovered pressure cooker, add millet and saute lightly, add cauliflower and optional carrot and saute lightly also, then add water and salt. Cover pressure cooker and bring to pressure, reduce heat and cook 25 minutes.

felineaids Rookie
Hi felineaids, is this all you can eat or is this the list for acceptable ingredients only for making bread? Can you have other foods in addition to these items and if so what, like other grains, fruits and vegetables, liquids, fats/oils? I need more information to try to come up with something for you, maybe not bread, but something that is somewhat comforting.

If you can have millet flour, I assume you can have millet? If so, there is a great recipe for a millet porrige cooked in a pressure cooker. I don't usually like millet cooked on the stove top, but I LOVE millet in the pressure cooker- it comes out so soft and oatmeal like and has really good flavor. I'll have to look for the recipe for the measurements but you basically take millet, water, a little coconut oil, shredded carrot and onion put it in the pressure cooker and cook. I have even taken this cooked millet and made millet cakes with it, just formed them into patties and browned in a little olive oil in a pan. You could then make a little gravy with chicken stock and rice flour to put over them. I don't know if these are safe ingredients for you.

Mock Millet Mashed Potatoes are maybe a possibility as well:

1 tbsp. coconut oil

1 small chopped onion

1 shredded carrot (optional)

1 c. washed millet

1/2 head of cauliflower

2 3/4 c. water

1/4 tsp salt

Saute the onion in the coconut oil in the uncovered pressure cooker, add millet and saute lightly, add cauliflower and optional carrot and saute lightly also, then add water and salt. Cover pressure cooker and bring to pressure, reduce heat and cook 25 minutes.

Thanks for the reply. The list of ingredients I gave is what I know I can work with. My allergies are so vast that it seemd easier to list things I know I can use. I can't do fruits and veggies, for the most part. Carrots and cauliflower are like peanuts for me. I've had problems with whole millet, so I've only been using the flour. I've had to give up chicken as well, but I hope to gwet it back someday.

If you've got any ideas, I'll welcome them. This has been a tough one to figure out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator
millet flour

rice flour

baking soda

vitamin C

salt (NOT seas salt)

honey

agave nectar

okay, i just found this online (i was on a mission for you this afternoon!)

(from Open Original Shared Link

Grain Free Boston Brown Bread gluten-free

1 cup plus 2 Tsp amaranth flour

1/4 cup arrowroot

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp powdered ginger

1/2 cup currants

1/2 cup brazil nuts

3/4 cup boiling unsweetened fruit juice or water

1/4 cup honey or molasses

1 Tsp lemon juice or 1/4 tsp vitamin C crystals

Oil a 1-pound baking tin. Fill a Dutch oven or stock pot with about 5 inches of water. Bring water to the boil. In a large bowl combine the flour, arrowroot, baking soda and ginger, stir in the currants. In a blender grind the nuts to a fine powder, add the juice or water and blend for 20 seconds. If the ingredients in the blender dont reach the one cup mark, add a little more liquid. With the blender running low add the honey or molasses and lemon juice or vitamin C crystals. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour bowl, stir quickly to blend, do not overmix. Transfer to the prepared mould or can. Cover with a square of foil or wax parer; tie the wax paper securely with a piece of string. Place the mould in the boiling water, cover the pot tightly and steam for 2 hours over a medium low heat. Don't remove cover during this time. Remove the mould from pot and cool for 15 minutes.

Anyway, if you change the flours, and leave out whatever spices and whatnot you can and cannot have, I bet this would work. It might be a little dense (lacking the tapioca), but I think it might work!

Green12 Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. The list of ingredients I gave is what I know I can work with. My allergies are so vast that it seemd easier to list things I know I can use. I can't do fruits and veggies, for the most part. Carrots and cauliflower are like peanuts for me. I've had problems with whole millet, so I've only been using the flour. I've had to give up chicken as well, but I hope to gwet it back someday.

If you've got any ideas, I'll welcome them. This has been a tough one to figure out.

Bless your heart, this is a very limited list.

This is the plainest recipe I could find (without spices, nuts, eggs, and etc.) It's for a corncake and maybe you can follow the basic structure and experiment with some substituting:

1 c. flour

1c cornmeal

pinch of salt

1 tbsp baking powder

1 c. water

1/4 c. oil

1/4 c. maple syrup

Preheat oven 375. Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Combine liquid ingredients and mix well. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix. Pour batter into small greased cake pan, or use muffin tins and fill 2/3 full. Bake 15 minutes until golden brown.

What if you tried using 1 c. rice flour and 1 c. millet flour in place of the flour and corn meal, baking soda for the baking powder with a little vit c. (I read a substitute for baking powder is mixture of baking soda, cream of tartar, and corn starch- maybe using vit c. in place of the cream of tartar for the acid component would get the job done?) water, honey for the maple syrup, or agave nectar. I don't know about the oil component.

Wish I could be of more help but maybe something like this would work for you.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

here's a family recipe. It's going to sound gross, but it's really good.

EnerG crackers (the saltine ones)

Cottage cheese

eggs

Ok. Put cottage cheese on an EnerG cracker.

Put another cracker on top.

Dip the cottage cheese cracker sandwich into beaten eggs (both sides)

Put on a buttered (or Pam'd) frying pan.

Cook covered for a bit.

Flip it.

Cook uncovered for a bit.

Remove and eat. SOOOOO good with a hot cup of tea.

My mother was a German (I believe to this day that she's actually a Jew and my grandfather decided it was best to be "German" when they got out of Germany a few weeks before Hitler went nuts. I asked her if she was actually Jewish in my 20's and she said all she knows is her father would say, Your a GERMAN. Leave it alone!)

anyway, they lived in a Jewish neighborhood in New York City and my grandmother was very ill. So the Jewish ladies cared for my mom and always made her this "sandwich" on Matzo type bread... When she had us, she used Saltines becasue they were smaller for our small hands to hold onto. So, it's a family tradition. I was so bummed when my youngest was dx with celiac disease. I actually cried and was sad because I didn't know how I'd make him these without saltines. My kids LOVE these. It's one of the reasons we're Dairy LITE and not dairy FREE. I hope we never have to go completley dairy free!!!!

Felidae Enthusiast
Nail & hammer for me too!!!! Plus we use the shell for a birdhouse!!! The birds love it. I love to drink the milk.. This brings back childhood memories for me.

thanks for the memory

mamaw

That's how my dad always opened them when we were little. What a good idea for a bird house.

I take it I wont find it at like a normal grocery store?

Yes you can.

felineaids Rookie
Bless your heart, this is a very limited list.

This is the plainest recipe I could find (without spices, nuts, eggs, and etc.) It's for a corncake and maybe you can follow the basic structure and experiment with some substituting:

1 c. flour

1c cornmeal

pinch of salt

1 tbsp baking powder

1 c. water

1/4 c. oil

1/4 c. maple syrup

Preheat oven 375. Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Combine liquid ingredients and mix well. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix. Pour batter into small greased cake pan, or use muffin tins and fill 2/3 full. Bake 15 minutes until golden brown.

What if you tried using 1 c. rice flour and 1 c. millet flour in place of the flour and corn meal, baking soda for the baking powder with a little vit c. (I read a substitute for baking powder is mixture of baking soda, cream of tartar, and corn starch- maybe using vit c. in place of the cream of tartar for the acid component would get the job done?) water, honey for the maple syrup, or agave nectar. I don't know about the oil component.

Wish I could be of more help but maybe something like this would work for you.

I'd like to thank you and the other kind poster who responded to my reuqest for information. I know this is a daunting task.

This one sounds like the easiest to attempt (I'm not sure how I'd substitute the amarant, currents, arrowroot, and other ingredients from the other recipe). I'll be sure to give this a try. Thanks again.

Rusla Enthusiast
Yep the actual fruit. 100% coconut and nothing else. You can drink the water and scoop out the actual fruit and it is soooooo good. All you have to do is stick a straw or a spoon in it. It tastes particularly awesome right after a workout. I get it at Whole Foods. I've seen them at lots of different health food stores.

I recommended it to a friend once and she fogot to buy the one that was already cut open - ended up having to throw it against a curb :lol: Definitely worth looking for next time you're at a health food store though. :)

Coconut water is excellent. It restore electrolites if you are out in the hots sun or exercising too. Many people who have been lost in forests in Jamaica have stayed alive drinking coconut water. I drank it when I was in Jamaica I loved it, not crazy about the immature fruit inside but the water is great.

Green12 Enthusiast
I'd like to thank you and the other kind poster who responded to my reuqest for information. I know this is a daunting task.

This one sounds like the easiest to attempt (I'm not sure how I'd substitute the amarant, currents, arrowroot, and other ingredients from the other recipe). I'll be sure to give this a try. Thanks again.

Good luck, I really hope it works!!

Mango04 Enthusiast

1. put corn tortillas in the oven until crispy

2. spread with Earth Balance (or your "butter" or choice)

3. sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar

4. eat!

pretty good :D

• 4 weeks later...
indyceliac Newbie

Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango

1 cup uncooked Jasmine Rice

1 can Coconut Milk

2/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 mango

Directions:

1 Cover rice with cold water and rinse. Repeat until the water runs clear, about 3 times, and drain.

2 In a medium saucepan bring 1 & 3/4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice and stir briefly. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the water is absorbed.

3 In a saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar and salt. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

4 Pour the boiled coconut milk into the cooked rice. Stir well.

5 Cover top of rice directly with wax paper or aluminum foil. Let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.

6 Peel the mango and cut into slices or squares.

7 Spoon the rice, or scoop with an ice cream server onto a serving platter and decorate with mango slices.

Archived