This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

gluten-free/cf Comfort Food Recipes...

lorka150

lorka150 Collaborator

Hey everyone,

I didn't feel too well this morning and was craving some quick and easy comfort food. I thought we could start a thread for those fast meals that don't have to simmer all day (for those gluten and casein free!)

Cheesey Veggies

cook veggies (enough to serve whoever)

[i used a frozen bean/pea/corn/carrot/lima bean mix, and added broccoli and mushrooms)

sauce: soy milk, thyme, rosemary, sage, Bragg's, nutritional yeast (all to taste)

in saucepan, simmer veggies in sauce

mix in grated mozzarella vegan cheese (I used Galaxy).

Eat.

So yummy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mamaw Community Regular

graham crackers gluten-free (I use mona's recipe)

spread with peanut butter

dip in chocolate.....

once in awhile I add marshmallow cream

Quick meal

1# ground beef, add onion & garlic. Brown and drained off fat. Add a can of progresso gluten-free cream of mushroom soup,salt & pepper, parsley. Add frozen peas and serve over rice or gluten-free noodles.

mamaw

Carriefaith Enthusiast

My new favorite comfort drink is a cup of chocolate Almond Breeze heated in the microwave for about 1 minute.

mmmm

jerseyangel Proficient

My favorite comfort drink is similar to Carrie's--sugar, pure cocoa and Vance's Dari Free mixed in a mug and microwaved for 2 minutes. Creamy and very soothing. ;)

VydorScope Proficient

SUNMAID RASINS!!!!

mmaccartney Explorer

I don't want to start a soy debate here, but my favorite gluten-free / CF / NF (nut free) comfort food is soy based!!!

They are the "Purely Vanilla" ice cream bars. This is the closest thing to a "Dove bar" that I have found

Open Original Shared Link

I eat these by the box!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
They are the "Purely Vanilla" ice cream bars. This is the closest thing to a "Dove bar" that I have found

Open Original Shared Link

I eat these by the box!

Nice! I think that I've seen those in the health food section. I guess I have always assumed that they had gluten or dairy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Alright, you guys are going to think I'm nuts :unsure: , but...I've been making this since I was like, 7, a version of it was in my Minnie Mouse cookbook! I make it all the time, but I've never been able to get anyone else to try it...

PB&J Popcorn

Pot of stove popped popcorn (popcorn and oil only, no microwave!!!)

In a small saucepan...

3-4 tbsp margerine

1/2 c. creamy peanut butter

1/4 c. jelly or jam of choice

Melt together until incorporated, then drizzle over the popcorn. Mix it all together and eat!

It's messy, but good! It has to be eaten pretty soon after making it, or it goes stale and soggy. :P

VydorScope Proficient

sounds intresting! Might try

francelajoie Explorer

I love sesame crisps topped with cream cheese, smoked salmon, and a sliver of red onion :D

Oh, and a nice glass of red wine.

Man, I can't wait to get home now.

Here's what my husband is making for supper incase anybody needs ideas:

Marinated grilled flank steak sliced, red and yellow peppers, red onion...spoon into lettuce leaves, top with salsa and sour cream.

My favorite!!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

tacos or nachos. I'm a spicey woman! :lol:

Green12 Enthusiast

This doesn't happen very often because of my evil, completely out of line, dairy issue, but I will make cheesy fries. I take a bag of Alexia Yukon Gold frozen oven fries and bake them until golden brown and crisp, then I add some sea salt and some shredded cheese to melt on top, monterey jack or white cheddar.

For something sweet I will make a batch of Pamela's brownies and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some melted caramel sauce I get at whole foods.

lorka150 Collaborator

I am horrible with dairy. Have you tried Galaxy Food's Vegan line?

amybeth Enthusiast

Apple slices or banana slices spread (generously!) with peanut butter.

Then, climb into pj's, curl up in your favorite blanket, and ENJOY!

jerseyangel Proficient
Apple slices or banana slices spread (generously!) with peanut butter.

Then, climb into pj's, curl up in your favorite blanket, and ENJOY!

That does sound comforting :D

VydorScope Proficient
This doesn't happen very often because of my evil, completely out of line, dairy issue, but I will make cheesy fries. I take a bag of Alexia Yukon Gold frozen oven fries and bake them until golden brown and crisp, then I add some sea salt and some shredded cheese to melt on top, monterey jack or white cheddar.

For something sweet I will make a batch of Pamela's brownies and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some melted caramel sauce I get at whole foods.

Julie, the "CF' in the topic means Casien Free... which means dairy free, so what you describe for us that are dairy intolerent is not very comforing :o

:D :D :D

Not being mean/upset/picky, just trying to educate you in the internet lingo a bit :D

TCA Contributor

Garlic Mashed Potatos

boil potatoes until tender - I use red onees with the skin. Drain.

add olive oil, garlic salt, italian seasonings and mash. A bit of milk substitute or chicken broth needs to be added too. They're sooooo good.

Green12 Enthusiast
Julie, the "CF' in the topic means Casien Free... which means dairy free, so what you describe for us that are dairy intolerent is not very comforing :o

:D :D :D

Not being mean/upset/picky, just trying to educate you in the internet lingo a bit :D

So sorry, I didn't notice the little cf in the topic line!

A gluten-free/cf comfort meal for me would be the Alexia Yukon Gold Jullienne Fries, no cheese needed, all golden brown and salted just by themselves very good. I make guacamole and dip them into that, if I feel like a little heat I add Amy's gluten-free salsa .

Pamela's brownies don't list any dairy ingredients but some have a problem with possible trace amounts in processing, I can eat them without a problem. A batch of chocolate brownies is definitely my idea of comfort food.

Baked apples with brown sugar and cinnamon are also yummy.

lonewolf Collaborator
My new favorite comfort drink is a cup of chocolate Almond Breeze heated in the microwave for about 1 minute.

mmmm

Try adding a few drops of peppermint extract to that - it's amazing how delicious it is.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

There's a chicken casserole I've always loved--it didn't start out gluten-free/CF, but it's easy to adjust:

leftover chicken meat, diced-- I usually use 2-3 cups

leftover cooked rice--2-3 cups

chopped onions--1/2-1 cup

thawed frozen mixed vegetables--1/2-1 cup

(this sounds gross, but it's really good) 1/2 cup of mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream (Better Than Sour Cream works just fine)

1 can cream of chicken soup (substitute by melting 3 TBSPNS butter substitute, and whisking in 3 TBLSPNS gluten-free flour mix, cook 1 minute, and whisk in 7 oz chickenstock and 2/3 cup Better Than Sour Cream)

Start by making the cream of chicken soup substitute (you can sautee the onions in the margarine if you want), then add sour cream and mayonnaise, then add everything else, put in a casserole, cover, and stick in the oven while you go pick the kids up from school.

Very comforting. Also fattening. Which is probably why it's comforting.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
graham crackers gluten-free (I use mona's recipe)

spread with peanut butter

dip in chocolate.....

once in awhile I add marshmallow cream

Quick meal

1# ground beef, add onion & garlic. Brown and drained off fat. Add a can of progresso gluten-free cream of mushroom soup,salt & pepper, parsley. Add frozen peas and serve over rice or gluten-free noodles.

mamaw

What is this graham cracker recipe?!!!

RoseNNJ Apprentice

Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Frosting & a spoon :o

jerseyangel Proficient
Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Frosting & a spoon :o

Ah-h-h--simple, but very effective :D

kabowman Explorer

Homemade chicken soup - when my hubby rolls out the noodles for me.

My pizza, with my toppings, that I make for myself (if hubby will mix the dough for me to try to save my wrists and shoulder), with all my favorite toppings.

Green12 Enthusiast
Homemade chicken soup - when my hubby rolls out the noodles for me.

My pizza, with my toppings, that I make for myself (if hubby will mix the dough for me to try to save my wrists and shoulder), with all my favorite toppings.

Homemade chicken soup, that's a good one!

I also love to make cheeseless quesadillas for feel good food. I fill a Food For Life rice tortilla with homemade lime rice and cilantro, shredded beef, and carmelized onion and brown it in a pan with a little olive oil and top with guacamole.

Archived