Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lorka150

gluten-free/cf Comfort Food Recipes...

Hey everyone,

I didn't feel too well this morning and was craving some quick and easy comfort food. I thought we could start a thread for those fast meals that don't have to simmer all day (for those gluten and casein free!)

Cheesey Veggies

cook veggies (enough to serve whoever)

[i used a frozen bean/pea/corn/carrot/lima bean mix, and added broccoli and mushrooms)

sauce: soy milk, thyme, rosemary, sage, Bragg's, nutritional yeast (all to taste)

in saucepan, simmer veggies in sauce

mix in grated mozzarella vegan cheese (I used Galaxy).

Eat.

So yummy!

Gluten-free, Vegan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

graham crackers gluten-free (I use mona's recipe)

spread with peanut butter

dip in chocolate.....

once in awhile I add marshmallow cream

Quick meal

1# ground beef, add onion & garlic. Brown and drained off fat. Add a can of progresso gluten-free cream of mushroom soup,salt & pepper, parsley. Add frozen peas and serve over rice or gluten-free noodles.

mamaw

My new favorite comfort drink is a cup of chocolate Almond Breeze heated in the microwave for about 1 minute.

mmmm

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

My favorite comfort drink is similar to Carrie's--sugar, pure cocoa and Vance's Dari Free mixed in a mug and microwaved for 2 minutes. Creamy and very soothing. ;)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I don't want to start a soy debate here, but my favorite gluten-free / CF / NF (nut free) comfort food is soy based!!!

They are the "Purely Vanilla" ice cream bars. This is the closest thing to a "Dove bar" that I have found

http://www.soydelicious.com/products/purel...y_vanillaM.html

I eat these by the box!

Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26

gluten / casein intolerant

HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:

Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk

William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

They are the "Purely Vanilla" ice cream bars. This is the closest thing to a "Dove bar" that I have found

http://www.soydelicious.com/products/purel...y_vanillaM.html

I eat these by the box!

Nice! I think that I've seen those in the health food section. I guess I have always assumed that they had gluten or dairy.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Alright, you guys are going to think I'm nuts :unsure: , but...I've been making this since I was like, 7, a version of it was in my Minnie Mouse cookbook! I make it all the time, but I've never been able to get anyone else to try it...

PB&J Popcorn

Pot of stove popped popcorn (popcorn and oil only, no microwave!!!)

In a small saucepan...

3-4 tbsp margerine

1/2 c. creamy peanut butter

1/4 c. jelly or jam of choice

Melt together until incorporated, then drizzle over the popcorn. Mix it all together and eat!

It's messy, but good! It has to be eaten pretty soon after making it, or it goes stale and soggy. :P

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

I love sesame crisps topped with cream cheese, smoked salmon, and a sliver of red onion :D

Oh, and a nice glass of red wine.

Man, I can't wait to get home now.

Here's what my husband is making for supper incase anybody needs ideas:

Marinated grilled flank steak sliced, red and yellow peppers, red onion...spoon into lettuce leaves, top with salsa and sour cream.

My favorite!!

France

This doesn't happen very often because of my evil, completely out of line, dairy issue, but I will make cheesy fries. I take a bag of Alexia Yukon Gold frozen oven fries and bake them until golden brown and crisp, then I add some sea salt and some shredded cheese to melt on top, monterey jack or white cheddar.

For something sweet I will make a batch of Pamela's brownies and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some melted caramel sauce I get at whole foods.

I am horrible with dairy. Have you tried Galaxy Food's Vegan line?

Gluten-free, Vegan

Apple slices or banana slices spread (generously!) with peanut butter.

Then, climb into pj's, curl up in your favorite blanket, and ENJOY!

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease

Apple slices or banana slices spread (generously!) with peanut butter.

Then, climb into pj's, curl up in your favorite blanket, and ENJOY!

That does sound comforting :D

Patti

This doesn't happen very often because of my evil, completely out of line, dairy issue, but I will make cheesy fries. I take a bag of Alexia Yukon Gold frozen oven fries and bake them until golden brown and crisp, then I add some sea salt and some shredded cheese to melt on top, monterey jack or white cheddar.

For something sweet I will make a batch of Pamela's brownies and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some melted caramel sauce I get at whole foods.

Julie, the "CF' in the topic means Casien Free... which means dairy free, so what you describe for us that are dairy intolerent is not very comforing :o

:D :D :D

Not being mean/upset/picky, just trying to educate you in the internet lingo a bit :D

- Vincent -

Garlic Mashed Potatos

boil potatoes until tender - I use red onees with the skin. Drain.

add olive oil, garlic salt, italian seasonings and mash. A bit of milk substitute or chicken broth needs to be added too. They're sooooo good.

If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.

Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)

Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork

Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06

Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05

"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

Julie, the "CF' in the topic means Casien Free... which means dairy free, so what you describe for us that are dairy intolerent is not very comforing :o

:D :D :D

Not being mean/upset/picky, just trying to educate you in the internet lingo a bit :D

So sorry, I didn't notice the little cf in the topic line!

A gluten-free/cf comfort meal for me would be the Alexia Yukon Gold Jullienne Fries, no cheese needed, all golden brown and salted just by themselves very good. I make guacamole and dip them into that, if I feel like a little heat I add Amy's gluten-free salsa .

Pamela's brownies don't list any dairy ingredients but some have a problem with possible trace amounts in processing, I can eat them without a problem. A batch of chocolate brownies is definitely my idea of comfort food.

Baked apples with brown sugar and cinnamon are also yummy.

My new favorite comfort drink is a cup of chocolate Almond Breeze heated in the microwave for about 1 minute.

mmmm

Try adding a few drops of peppermint extract to that - it's amazing how delicious it is.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

There's a chicken casserole I've always loved--it didn't start out gluten-free/CF, but it's easy to adjust:

leftover chicken meat, diced-- I usually use 2-3 cups

leftover cooked rice--2-3 cups

chopped onions--1/2-1 cup

thawed frozen mixed vegetables--1/2-1 cup

(this sounds gross, but it's really good) 1/2 cup of mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream (Better Than Sour Cream works just fine)

1 can cream of chicken soup (substitute by melting 3 TBSPNS butter substitute, and whisking in 3 TBLSPNS gluten-free flour mix, cook 1 minute, and whisk in 7 oz chickenstock and 2/3 cup Better Than Sour Cream)

Start by making the cream of chicken soup substitute (you can sautee the onions in the margarine if you want), then add sour cream and mayonnaise, then add everything else, put in a casserole, cover, and stick in the oven while you go pick the kids up from school.

Very comforting. Also fattening. Which is probably why it's comforting.

graham crackers gluten-free (I use mona's recipe)

spread with peanut butter

dip in chocolate.....

once in awhile I add marshmallow cream

Quick meal

1# ground beef, add onion & garlic. Brown and drained off fat. Add a can of progresso gluten-free cream of mushroom soup,salt & pepper, parsley. Add frozen peas and serve over rice or gluten-free noodles.

mamaw

What is this graham cracker recipe?!!!

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Frosting & a spoon :o

Ah-h-h--simple, but very effective :D

Patti

Homemade chicken soup - when my hubby rolls out the noodles for me.

My pizza, with my toppings, that I make for myself (if hubby will mix the dough for me to try to save my wrists and shoulder), with all my favorite toppings.

-Kate

gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:

Strawberries and Banannas (2007)

Nitrates (April 2006)

Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)

Peanuts (Nov. 2004)

Soy (Oct. 2004)

Almonds (Sept. 2004)

Corn (Sept. 2004)

Lactose/Casein (1999)

Homemade chicken soup - when my hubby rolls out the noodles for me.

My pizza, with my toppings, that I make for myself (if hubby will mix the dough for me to try to save my wrists and shoulder), with all my favorite toppings.

Homemade chicken soup, that's a good one!

I also love to make cheeseless quesadillas for feel good food. I fill a Food For Life rice tortilla with homemade lime rice and cilantro, shredded beef, and carmelized onion and brown it in a pan with a little olive oil and top with guacamole.