This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy Free And Egg Free And Soy Free (except For A Couple)

AndreaB

DawnS Rookie
If you make the cheese before I do let me know, and I'll do the same. I don't think I have enough agar agar right now though. :P

I will :-) I've been working a lot lately, so it might be a while. And I saw agar agar flakes, but I think I'm gonna keep looking for powder. I'm also going to check an asian market...kind of expensive at the health food store. Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to hear from folks that have been doing this longer than me! In fact, it's nice to "talk" to folks that even know what I'm talking about.

ooo...and mac and cheese? i just discovered a gluten free elbow macaroni i like. i did it with beef and gravy this week, but cheese?...it's a beautiful thought!!

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor

Another recipe that we liked before going gluten free. Thanks to Tinkyada it's still doable.

Both recipes are from Guilt Free Gourmet by Vicki Griffin

Crunchy Noodle Casserole

1 lb noodles (bow-tie or seashell)

1 recipe Cashew Milk Gravey (see below)

3 Tb Chick-it Seasoning (also see below) Could sub mckays chicken seasoning or bill's best if you eat soy.

1 tsp Garlic powder OR 2 cloves, crushed

2 tsp Onion powder

3/4 C Frozen peas, uncooked

4 C Cornflakes, crushed or enough to cover bottom of dish and sprinkle top

Cashew Milk Gravy

3/4 C Raw cashews

5 C Water

1/4 C Cornstarch

1/2 tsp Salt

1/4 C Sesame Tahini

Cook noodles and drain water.

Make cashew milk gravy in blender. Use 1/2 c water called for first, blend, then add remainder.

Thicken milk gravy in a saucepan, stirring constantly.

Add milk gravy, peas, seasonings to noodles, and stir.

Cover bottom of casserole dish with crushed cornflakes.

Pour noodles into casserole dish and top with crushed cornflakes.

Bake at 350 until heated through and bubbly. Corn flakes should be lightly browned.

Chick It Seasoning

Blend;

1/4 C Salt

1/2 C Nutritional Yeast Flakes

1/4-1/2 tsp Tumeric

1/2-1 tsp Garlic Powder

1 Tb Onion Powder

1/2 tsp Marjoram

1/2 tsp Sage or Summer Savory

1 Tb Parsley

Blend thoroughly to a powder-like consistency.

Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

EEKid Newbie

Thank you sooo much for all of your recipes I have a child with Eosinophilic Esophagitis (an allergic reaction in the esophagis, rather than the digestion tract , very similar to Cialic) and it is very difficult to find child-pleasing recipes. Your resipes are a Godsend.

Thanks

AndreaB Contributor

You're welcome!

If you can think of anything you might like me to try and find in the cookbooks I have, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
AndreaB Contributor

This isn't the same as the real thing but was our favorite vegan recipe. You can use the typical cinnamon, nutmeg instead of the coriander, cardomom.

Pumpkin Pie - 2 from Country Cabin Cooking by Alison & Emily Waters

1/2 c cashews

3/4 c water

1/2 c dates

1 c boiling water

1 1/2c pumpkin puree

1/2 t salt

1 t vanilla

1/3 c honey

1 t coriander

1 t cardamom

1/8 t ginger

1/2 c cornstarch

Whiz cashews and water in blender.

Soften dates in boiling water and put in blender with remaining ingredients. Blend well.

Pour into crust.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until center is set.

• 2 months later...
AndreaB Contributor

Boy, where'd the time go? I was going to try and update this frequently and it's been over 2 months.

I'd like to post the chili recipe from a little cookbook titled "Country Cabin Cooking" by Alison and Emily Waters. I skimmed the last posts and didn't see it.

Chili

2 c dry beans (we don't use, we put in 2 pounds cooked ground beef)

1 lg onion

2 c gr peppers (we also leave out)

2 cloves garlic (or 1 t minced garlic)

1/2 t oregano

2 t cumin

1 t onion powder

1 t paprika

2 T parsley

2 T sweet basil

2 t salt

1/2 c tvp (we leave out and use beef from above)

2 qt tomato juice

(we also add canned tomatoes in addition to the 2 qt juice)

Soak beans overnight. Rinse in the morning and cook in fresh water until tender.

Saute next 3 ingredients.

Put all ingredients in pan and simmer for an hour to blend flavors.

For using the ground beef instead of the beans I use Cambell's (I think) 2 qt tomato juice and add another 1/2 to 3/4 of the bottlle in water. This isn't spicy so if children aren't used to spicy it's very good. We don't use chili powder so this is good to us. You can spice up as you want.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Andrea....

I'm glad you added to this thread - I was going to try to find it so I could bump it. I wanted to tell you how wonderful those cashew cheese recipes are. I've been making cheese sauce and loving it - I could eat them with a spoon. This stuff is great :P

A few nights ago I put the "cheese" on a Mexican casserole, then last night put what was left over steamed broccoli. My husband thought the broccoli was delicious this way. I also mixed a bit of it with tunafish - held it together real well in a sandwich.

Thanks again for all these great recipes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Your welcome Valda.

I love the cheese recipes too.

I'll have to see if I posted any gravy recipes or not. Cashew gravy is good.

I have a lot of vegan cookbooks since I was vegan before these intolerances started coming down around me. Not alot can be used out of them, but I used these most anyway.

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Jars of pimentos have citric acid from corn in them. Any substitute for pimentos? Are they in these recipes mainly for the color? Could I maybe use cooked red bell peppers in that case?

Also...can some of you who are allergic to baker's yeast, use nutritional yeast without trouble? I officially test allergic to the baker's kind, but not the other. But I've been a little hesitant to try it. Thanks!

AndreaB Contributor
Jars of pimentos have citric acid from corn in them. Any substitute for pimentos? Are they in these recipes mainly for the color? Could I maybe use cooked red bell peppers in that case?

Also...can some of you who are allergic to baker's yeast, use nutritional yeast without trouble? I officially test allergic to the baker's kind, but not the other. But I've been a little hesitant to try it. Thanks!

Yes, pimentos are used for color. You can do without them, add red bell pepper (it would probably need to be cooked soft first), add tomatoes, use some paprika). There are times I don't use pimentos.

As far as the yeast flakes. We've quit using them because they didn't settle well with everyone. We even bought the ones from Bob's Red Mill labeled gluten free. You don't have to use them either. We've gotten used to things without it. It does add to flavor but if you aren't aware of what it did taste like you won't miss it.

Gentleheart Enthusiast
Yes, pimentos are used for color. You can do without them, add red bell pepper (it would probably need to be cooked soft first), add tomatoes, use some paprika). There are times I don't use pimentos.

As far as the yeast flakes. We've quit using them because they didn't settle well with everyone. We even bought the ones from Bob's Red Mill labeled gluten free. You don't have to use them either. We've gotten used to things without it. It does add to flavor but if you aren't aware of what it did taste like you won't miss it.

Thanks! I think I will just leave the yeast out. As long as it won't effect the flavor too much, it's probably safer. It would be a good source of B vitamins, however.

Where do you buy your raw cashews? My store only has them in bulk bins, which I definitely don't trust not to be cross contaminated. Since I've become so sensitive, I am probably going to have to start buying most everything from dedicated companies online from now on. I'm not having good luck with what I'm getting at my grocery store.

AndreaB Contributor

I buy my cashews from Azure Standard normally. I hadn't had any problems with them in the bulk bins that I know of but I've ordered them from before I found out about my celiac/gluten intolerance.

Open Original Shared Link

They have delivery in some states the you can get on with someone in your area or they'll also ship UPS. I'm in their delivery area so I don't have to pay the shipping. They ship mainly west coast and some midwest.

• 2 weeks later...
Gentleheart Enthusiast

Andrea,

Question on the sliceable cashew cheese. Is there a way to get less air whipped into it? It is great, but might be better without the air bubbles that give it a spongy texture. Maybe I did it wrong. This is such a blessing when you can't have dairy anymore! Thanks!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I've made the almond milk before. It's SO good when it's homemade...it doesn't have that processed flavor to it.

I think my recipe is a little different....

I've made it where you soak the raw almonds in water (enogh to cover) for 3 hours - changing the water each hour. (this is 1 cup almonds)

Then mix with 2 cups filtered water in a blender and grind the dickens out of it. Strain thru a strainer lined with cheese cloth to remove the solids.

add a tiny bit of honey (like less than a tsp). Shake...and go!

I've saved it in a large flat container and allowed it to gel in the fridge. The "whey" separates and makes homemade almond cheese at about 3 weeks. It was really creamy and good too.

Just an fyi. I don't do it often anymore....but now I may do it again! LOL :D

AndreaB Contributor

Gentleheart,

If I remember correctly it has the little air bubbles. That may be from the gel (?). I haven't made it into cheese for so long. I use it without the gel for mac and cheese (combined with the other cheese sauce). I don't think you blended it too long or anything.

Kbabe,

That sounds good too. I may have to try it that way sometime. The problem is I have some family members who don't do well with almonds.....although we haven't challenged it.

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Thanks, Andrea!

• 2 weeks later...
Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

Wow! This thread is a source of inspiration for ideas! We will be going off casein and soy in a week once I get organize and it is great to find so many ideas in one place. Now I just need to figure out how to print the thread. . . :) Kendra

AndreaB Contributor
Wow! This thread is a source of inspiration for ideas! We will be going off casein and soy in a week once I get organize and it is great to find so many ideas in one place. Now I just need to figure out how to print the thread. . . :) Kendra

Kendra,

You can go to options as the top of the thread and choose print topic. :)

I still need to figure out other recipes I want to add so check back periodically.

AndreaB Contributor

Cashew Milk Gravy from Ten Talents by Rosalie Hurd

2 cups water

1/2 cup cashews

2 Tbs arrowroot powder

2 tsp onion powder

2 Tbs oil

1/2 tsp salt

Blend the above ingredients together. Stir constantly till thickened over medium flame. Dilute if necessary.

Almond Milk Gravy

Use recipe given for Cashew Milk Gravy using blanched Almonds instead of Cashews, and adding 1/8 tsp. celery seed powder.

Just before serving add 1 Tbs. slivered blanched almonds.

Country Style Milk Gravy

2 cups water

1/2 cup cashew nuts

2 Tbs arrowroot or

3 Tbs browned flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp onion powder

2 Tbs oil

2 Tbs soy sauce (optional) or

1/4 tsp celery seed powder

Liquify the above ingredients together. Pour into saucepan and stir until thickened.

• 1 month later...
waywardsister Newbie

Thank you soooo much for these!! So far I've made the Dream Cream Cheese, and I'm excited bc it makes such a good base for a million different flavour combos! I had it as-is, and mixed with pumpkin pie spice, vanilla & maple extracts, stevia and DaVinci French Vanilla syrup for a kind of pudding. Can't wait to try the others!

• 3 weeks later...
kolka Explorer

I'd like to try some of these recipes. This clear gel that you mention, is it like a cube of jello? Or is it a powder? What does it look like? Can I use unflavored gelatin, mix it with hot water, let it cool to get a gel and that would be the same?

• 6 months later...
AndreaB Contributor
I'd like to try some of these recipes. This clear gel that you mention, is it like a cube of jello? Or is it a powder? What does it look like? Can I use unflavored gelatin, mix it with hot water, let it cool to get a gel and that would be the same?

Sorry I missed this Kolka.

The clear jel is made from corn. It's a powder. I'm sure you could try gelatin in it's place. You'd have to play with it and see how it turns out. I don't use the clear jel or instant clear jel anymore since we avoid corn as much as possible....especially non organic. I haven't made these recipes for a long time.

hathor Contributor

Baker's, brewer's and nutritional yeast are all Saccharomyces cerevisiae, just in different forms. (The nutritional stuff is deactivated). Since I test as intolerant to Sacc. cer., I've been reluctant to use nutritional yeast or buy any product that has it.

On another note, I also have been on the lookout for chickpea miso. It is in a number of recipes in Food Allergy Survival Guide. The only place I've found it is online. (Don't ask; I didn't save the link. I found it by googling, but then wasn't sure if I wanted to go to the expense when I never heard from anyone that has tried it ...)

AndreaB Contributor
Baker's, brewer's and nutritional yeast are all Saccharomyces cerevisiae, just in different forms. (The nutritional stuff is deactivated). Since I test as intolerant to Sacc. cer., I've been reluctant to use nutritional yeast or buy any product that has it.

My family seems to have some problems with nutritional yeast. I haven't used it in quite some time. It does make some things more difficult. I hoping we will be able to use it again at some point downt the line, but maybe I won't want to by that time. I think only one of us tested intolerant to yeast but it's not a problem in bread that I know of, for us anyway.

hathor Contributor

Strange thing is that I haven't noticed a problem with yeast in bread, either. I went without, then tried some after a few months ... no difference. So I'm not quite sure what to do. But having yeast in more bulk, as with nutritional yeast, gives me some pause.

It is hard to find much on yeast intolerance. I did run across this study:

Open Original Shared Link

This would indicate that, in some celiacs, a gluten-free diet can make the antiyeast antibodies go away. The antibodies are common in those who aren't gluten-free yet, but if they are, it looks like the prevalence is the same as for those without celiac. https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-34107538572.10

I haven't had any problems with alcoholic beverages. Even those with true allergies to yeast apparently rarely have a problem. Open Original Shared Link

OK, that's all I know about the subject :lol: Feel free to add anything you know.

Archived