arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Dinners For Family With Numerous Allergies And Celiac Disease?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Emily A

Emily A

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

Wow! Thanks everyone for all of the good advice. I love the idea of using some salty crumbs such as potato chips for topping things to add a little variety. Also, it sounds like I need some new equipment, like a pressure cooker and a grill. My husband has been helping a lot by roasting chicken or pork on Sundays so we have leftovers for a few days, but this past weekend we didn't get around to that. I'm trying a casserole tonight (substituted broccoli for the peas since I have one allergic to those). I like the idea of coconut milk in a casserole (we're not allergic to coconut). I have been experimenting with that a bit, but I never would have thought of making a casserole with it. Perhaps rice milk will work, too. I think I also have to use more mashed potatoes. Before my youngest was diagnosed with Celiac disease, I didn't cook too many potatoes (or much meat, for that matter). I never realized how creative one could be with potato flakes! I'm definitely going to try those potato patties. Also, we can have soy lethicin. Our allergist said that lethicin is a carbohydrate and not dangerous for the daughter with a soy allergy (maybe because it's not as severe?), but the daughters with the milk allergies can't have butter or goat milk. Hmm, I never thought of trying buffalo meat. Maybe we can have that.

I feel like I'm relearning how to cook. I guess ordering in is a thing of the past. Thanks to all for the yummy sounding dishes and the encouragement.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:50 AM

I sympathize with you, I'm in a similar boat!
Almost all pre-packaged foods, as you know (including store bought chickens, which can be SO yummy), even if they are gluten free, have soy in them. Its frustrating.

I don't have a lot of good advice. just wanted to say that I understand and I know its frustrating and annoying. My best advice, which you already know, is to make things in large batches and freeze. When I could eat rice, I did rice in my rice cooker, often. I loved it and it was so simple...never had to worry. Also, tinkyada pasta was a life saver for me. But no, I wouldn't trust eating out too much...just something to move on from. :(

Good luck. Your family is lucky that you are so diligent. xoxo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: