Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can You Eat At Thai Or Chinese Reataurants At All?

• Please log in to reply

16 replies to this topic

#1 imagine22

imagine22

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:40 PM

Im newly diagnosed with celiac and would love some advice as to how to go about eating at thai or chinese restaurants?

is it possible or does everything have soy sauce?

thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

There are some things you can have at some chinese places, and thai is even easier, but it takes some time to learn and navigate. Thai has plenty of curries and noodle dishes made with rice noodles; you need to check on sauces, of course, but have good odds of finding things. At Chinese, some of the white sauces are fine, though I have had bad luck with language barriers, and often end up just going with steamed shrimp and vegetables.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 bpritt

bpritt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:38 AM

I can second tarnalberry's recommendations on Thai restaurants. Curries with white or brown steamed rice are almost always safe, and I love curry, so I don't usually go any further. But many places will also tell you that their noodle dishes are made with rice noodles. I'd also recommend Mongolian Barbecue which gives you a choice of sauces, and are often willing to prepare your dinner in a separate wok. If you skip the soy or brown sauces and choose rice wine, ginger, or oil you should be OK.
DVT since 1991
lactose intolerant since 1993
celiac dx 2-05 by biopsy of small intestine
gluten-free since 3-05

#4 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:48 AM

I was in love with Thai food before going gluten-free, but the diagnosis sealed the deal. Chinese makes me very nervous though because of the excessive use of soy sauce.
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#5 NJKen

NJKen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:50 AM

When ordering at Thai restaurants also make sure that there is no oyster sauce in your dishes.

Fish sauce is OK; it's just fish and salt.

Ken

#6 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:26 PM

My ex-fave Chinese place guy went over my Chinese gluten-free dining card and started marking out everything I could not eat on their take out menu. When he was finished only white rice and some chicken dish made with a nasty white sauce was gluten free. Even the soup contains soy sauce (I make my own at home now) so we either have Chinese food at home or we go to PF Changs (very rarely).
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#7 t-bone

t-bone

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

My ex-fave Chinese place guy went over my Chinese gluten-free dining card and started marking out everything I could not eat on their take out menu. When he was finished only white rice and some chicken dish made with a nasty white sauce was gluten free. Even the soup contains soy sauce (I make my own at home now) so we either have Chinese food at home or we go to PF Changs (very rarely).

I work at PF Chang's and the gluten-free menu is top notch. They can also do gluten free fried rice. Chang's is a little pricey, but it's some of the best gluten-free dining available in my opinion. I eat there after my shifts often.

#8 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:04 AM

I think it's a bit like any resteraunt - if you can be confident that they understand the issues, and will work with you, then you can be OK (I appreciate that's a big 'if'!). I'm really lucky in that the manager at our Chinese is very helpful. He will get his chef to make any dish for me (within reason!) with just salt and garlic - no other spices or soy sauce. So it might not taste really chinese, but at least I can eat out :)
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

#9 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:26 AM

I've heard everywhere that curries at Thai restaurants are ok, so my first Thai dining out experience after being dx I showed the manager my Triumph dining card (the one in Thai language) and he said curry dish would be ok so that's what I ordered (the panang curry (red curry) with white rice); I was soooooo sick afterwards! It also came with that coconut milk soup which I ate thinking what could be in that? Does anyone know what could have gone wrong?

#10 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

Packaged curry can contain wheat. Fish sauce can also have wheat in it, not ALL fish sauce is safe. I love Thai food, but I always have my dining card when i go. www.triumphdining.com My issue with Thai is I'm also allergic to egg, which they put in everything and I often forget to ask for no egg. I love Rad Nai with Spicy Mint, I have them make it without soy sauce or fish sauce, and use garlic and oil. So yummy. Spicy though.
I don't eat chinese unless I'm at PF Changs, cause I always end up just having steamed vegetables. I can do that at home and make it taste better.
Elonwy

I wanted to add also, it depends on how the restaurant orders thier supplies. Say they order from a standard restaurant supply place, they get all the same stuff as everyone else, and its usually in bulk and somewhat pre-packaged, so you're not neccesarily dealing with authentic Thai stuff ( anyone notice how almost all restaurants use Kikkoman?) Then you have smaller more authentic places that are ordering from local markets or from suppliers that are bringing in things directly from Thailand. In the case of one restaurant in Hawaii that I love, the owners wife is Thai, and all thier stuff comes directly from Thailand, and almost everything they use is gluten free, at least sauce and spice wise. So, as with everything, there is no "All curries are safe" or "All fish sauce is safe", cause it all depends on what they are buying and from where. I always ask if the curry is from a mix or just a straight spice, I always ask that the card be taken back to the chef. More often than not they whip up a special dish for me, and I end up a loyal customer cause they take care of me.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#11 nobeer4me

nobeer4me

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

Does anyone know if the red sweet& sour sauce and the hot chinese mustard is gluten free?

#12 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

Fish sauce can have wheat in it, or so I've heard. But good brands don't have it. I'm not a person who gets REAL sick if I eat wheat so I can't say what might have gone wrong. The coconut soup should be ok, but it does have fish sauce in it. I make Thai food at home and I LOVE that coconut soup. I like to go to asian stores and buy stuff but a lot of times I can't really read the ingredients!

#13 steveindenver

steveindenver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:37 PM

best bet - find a good local place, take your Triumph Dining card and your own bottle of Tamari. That's what I do. I've done it three or four times. Only once did I immediately get very gassy and that was the time I gave them LaChoy to use.

#14 maddycat

maddycat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

Thai food yum!!! I went out for Thai last week for a work lunch party. Pad Thai is generally safe as are the curries! Ymmm. Stay away from dishes with bean sauce- they have soy sauce in them. The spring rolls (non fried, cold in rice wrappers) are delish too.

When DH and I get chinese takeout I order off the "diet menu"- steamed chicken and broccoli. I have my own tamari or peanut sauce that I add at home to get that real chinese food taste.
Marcia-
Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:
I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

#15 runnerjen

runnerjen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

Help! I'm going for Chinese on New Year's Eve! I'm new to this, only been gluten-free for about 2 weeks now. Am I basically stuck with steamed chicken, rice and veggies??

This is the place I'm going to: http://www.jumboseafoodrestaurant.com/

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

jen
Gluten-Free December 2006-February 2007, then told ok to stop. Now here I am again, Gluten-Free since April 2008.

I did it! I ran my first Half Marathon at Disney on 1/6/07 for the Arthritis Foundation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: