#16 raso

raso

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hi,
I have had gastric bypass, but not the usual kind, and now am being tested for celiac. My GB was because of a rare cancer, a sarcoma, on the outside of my stomach (part of it had grown into my stomach). The cancer is supposed to be cured, but I lost the distal 1/5 of my stomach, including the pylorus, and my duodenum is functioning as a conduit between the pancreas and the jejunum. So it is kinda like a bariatric GB but not as drastic. Yet I have tested low on copper & Vitamin D for certain. Some of the folks who have had my cancer & stomach surgery experience vitamin & mineral deficiencies but sounds like I am definitely not in the majority there. My GI doctor says she doesn't think my deficiencies are caused by my surgery as they can be absorbed other places besides the duodenum. Celiac fits in with my other symptoms. I wonder about wheat allergy. Whatever, bottom line, I do better without wheat for sure, probably gluten. I did have my gluten test run yesterday. I have not been chowing down on gluten, but never gave it up either.

So we'll see.

Hope this helps somewhat.

RASO

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: