This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hillshire Farms Oven Rosted Turkey Deli Meat?

janelyb

janelyb Enthusiast

Ok so I understand they don't hide anything in their labeling but I bought a vareity pack from Costco and my only question is on the Oven roasted turkey it says modified food starch. I called the company and they said well modified food starch comes from either wheat or corn but my package doesn't say from which source.....the company is supposed to get back to me but so far no one has. Does anyone else know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

My understanding is that if it is made/packaged and processed in the borders of the US that the MFS is supposed to be made from corn or another non-wheat grain. BUT...I have been burned on that before. Because items can be processed outside the US and packaged here - that gives them a loophole in the law and they can claim ignorance.

I would wait until you know for sure from the company before eating. It SHOULDN'T be a problem BUT is it worth the risk?

sherylj Rookie
My understanding is that if it is made/packaged and processed in the borders of the US that the MFS is supposed to be made from corn or another non-wheat grain. BUT...I have been burned on that before. Because items can be processed outside the US and packaged here - that gives them a loophole in the law and they can claim ignorance.

I would wait until you know for sure from the company before eating. It SHOULDN'T be a problem BUT is it worth the risk?

I agree it isn't worth the risk,,,modified food starch could be wheat. I wouldn' even for sure trust any response I got from a customer service representative. There are brands of deli meats that are okay. Just read the labels every time.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Per 2006 food labeling laws, if the product has one of the common allergens, it must be listed. I am 99% certain it is corn starch (from an email I got from them a couple of years ago)

Also, I eat Hillshire Deli meats all the time - no worries!

Customer service reps are worthlesshalf the time. Rest assured, Hillshire is a huge company and they wouldn't knowingly violate the labeling law (they have tons of lawyers that work for them that would not let that happen).

JMHO

happygirl Collaborator

Agree with Chris.

If it were derived from wheat, it is required by law to be listed. If its not-its safe from wheat. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Agree with Chris.

If it were derived from wheat, it is required by law to be listed. If its not-its safe from wheat. :)

Unless they are running out a lot of labels that were made from before the law changed. Companies are allowed to do that. I would avoid eating this with the ambiguous answer.

lovegrov Collaborator

ALL Hillshire Farm sandwich meats are gluten-free. In addition, it's my understanding that it doesn't matter how many labels you run, it's whether the product was packaged and labeled before Jan. 1, 2006, which sandwich meat would be, of course. AND, even if I'm wrong about the labels, I simply cannot imagine Hillshire Farm printed and then stored 16 months of labels. It wouldn't be cost-effective.

I've eaten the oven roasted turkey for years.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

thanks for clarifying, richard.

• 3 months later...
nowheatnomilk Rookie

lunch.. harmless enough.. rice and kidneybeans, cerely sticks, roman lettuce, corn chips ( which I've eaten before,) and hillshire turkey oven roasted.. now i'm am in such pain you've thought i ate a loaf of bread.. buyer beware... I won't eat it ever again..

lovegrov Collaborator

Probably the corn chips.

richard

• 2 weeks later...
KarenDianne Newbie
Agree with Chris.

Hi there-I have a couple questions...Hillshire Farms Kielbasa seems to have no "bad" ingredients EXCEPT "soy Protein"...I'm always afraid when it says soy. I thought soy was off limits...but I think I'm confused. Any soy products...derived from soybeans (how do I know?) should be good, right? Is it only the soy that is "soy sauce" used in Asian cooking/restaurants that isn't good?? The lists all say "no soy" but the 2 things I've eaten recently that had "hydrolyzed soy protein" didn't bother me. I was scared to death after I ate them...but nothing happened. Could someone please clear this soy thing up for me? Thanks so much! KarenDianne (I'm rarely on this site lately so if you could answer some time today...it'd be great!)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Probably the corn chips.

richard

Why would corn chips not be safe? The ingredients are corn, oil, and salt, and they are not processed on lines that process wheat ingredients. Plus, nowheatnomilk said that (s)he has had them before without a problem. Why would you suspect corn chips before the turkey?

Juliebove Rising Star

Soy sauce usually contains wheat. That's why you can't have it. There is one brand (maybe more) that doesn't contain wheat. I can't give the particulars because daughter has a soy allergy so we don't eat it.

happygirl Collaborator
Hi there-I have a couple questions...Hillshire Farms Kielbasa seems to have no "bad" ingredients EXCEPT "soy Protein"...I'm always afraid when it says soy. I thought soy was off limits...but I think I'm confused. Any soy products...derived from soybeans (how do I know?) should be good, right? Is it only the soy that is "soy sauce" used in Asian cooking/restaurants that isn't good?? The lists all say "no soy" but the 2 things I've eaten recently that had "hydrolyzed soy protein" didn't bother me. I was scared to death after I ate them...but nothing happened. Could someone please clear this soy thing up for me? Thanks so much! KarenDianne (I'm rarely on this site lately so if you could answer some time today...it'd be great!)

Soy is safe for those with Celiac. It does not contain gluten.

Nothing happened because its safe. :)

Soy sauce is an entirely different story. Most soy sauces have wheat in them, including soy sauces that are used in frozen foods, in marinades, etc.

For your own cooking at home, there are a few brands of gluten-free soy sauce, though.

• 4 weeks later...
nowheatnomilk Rookie

I switch to gluten free turkey breast... and it's fine... like I said the corn chips wasn't it. it was the food starch in the hillside.... (wheat food starch-- found out the hard way)

lovegrov Collaborator

"Why would corn chips not be safe? The ingredients are corn, oil, and salt, and they are not processed on lines that process wheat ingredients. Plus, nowheatnomilk said that (s)he has had them before without a problem. Why would you suspect corn chips before the turkey?"

Unless they're made on dedicated lines, items like chips etc. are generally much susceptible to CC. I would suspect CC in chips before the meat.

richard

lovegrov Collaborator

Soy is OK. Soy sauce is a problem because many are also made with wheat. It has nothing at all to do with the soy.

richard

craft freak Newbie
I switch to gluten free turkey breast... and it's fine... like I said the corn chips wasn't it. it was the food starch in the hillside.... (wheat food starch-- found out the hard way)

I have also found out the hard way that if it does not say wheat free or gluten free, there is a good chance it has wheat/gluten. I found out the same misery with Dennison's chili, gotta love that "modified" corn starch......I have found that any modified anything starch has traces of wheat/gluten in it. The symptoms are milder because it is not a main ingredient, but it still sucks.

jmd3 Contributor

I know this is an old link, but I guess we are still going back to it....

My question to this is - Is there MSG in hillshire farms? I am remembering that, if it does, sometimes celiacs/and others have difficulty with that as much as they do gluten. I know that I have a major problem with it.

Archived