This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Skin Care Need To Be Gluten Free?walmart Products

horsefarmer4

horsefarmer4 Apprentice

Hi, I'm a new bee and My question is - Are gluten free skin, hair and body nessisary? I also wonder are Walmarts products that are marked gluten free always safe? do they have a testing policy? Because I've used their soy sauce in a veggie stir fry and I wonder if i was glutened. I'm just returning to the diet after being off for a month or so and i've been (trying) gulten free for about a week and a half. Alot of my symptoms are going away execpt a few times after eating I starting getting that dizzy, spacey, tired feeling and my dermatiss is still active.

F.y.i. my blood test was neg and my GI is a Quack so I have stopped persuing a diagnoses. THe diet has improved my life and body so Im living as a celiac and quite happy!

Thanks for any help you can offer, Tina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

All my personal care products are gluten-free. It's a risk that I'm not willing to take. Even though most celiacs do not get skin reactions from gluten (although those with DH probably do), it's too likely to be ingested. I only get shampoo in my mouth once or twice a year, but that's one or two glutenings that are easily avoidable. I like that my house is a 100% gluten-free zone so when I'm home my celiac is never an issue. I can eat anything I want and touch anything I want free from worry. I figure the risk of having gluten personal care products is about equal to the risk of eating out a few times a year, and I'd much rather go out to eat than use wheat-based shampoo!

I have no idea about how Wal-Mart tests their products.

aorona Rookie

Many will disagree with me, but I believe that gluten-free personal care products are a must. Lotion, soaps, make-up, shampoo; all of these products are put on using your hands. What do you use to prepare and eat food? Right, your hands!so, if any of these products contain gluten you will be cross-contaminating everything you eat. Remember that even the tiniest microscopic bit of gluten can make you sick. Everything (except for an occassional loaf of bread for my husband) in my house is gluten free. I'm glad that when I wake up at 5 am to take a shower I don't have to worry about grabbing the wrong bottle of shampoo and being sick all day because of it.

Gemini Experienced
Hi, I'm a new bee and My question is - Are gluten free skin, hair and body nessisary? I also wonder are Walmarts products that are marked gluten free always safe? do they have a testing policy? Because I've used their soy sauce in a veggie stir fry and I wonder if i was glutened. I'm just returning to the diet after being off for a month or so and i've been (trying) gulten free for about a week and a half. Alot of my symptoms are going away execpt a few times after eating I starting getting that dizzy, spacey, tired feeling and my dermatiss is still active.

F.y.i. my blood test was neg and my GI is a Quack so I have stopped persuing a diagnoses. THe diet has improved my life and body so Im living as a celiac and quite happy!

Thanks for any help you can offer, Tina

This choice is a personal one and will be different depending upon each situation. I don't have DH and, except for lipstick or lip balm, none of my personal care products are gluten-free that I know of. I don't eat my make-up or shampoo

and practice good hygiene to prevent CC. I can't remember the last time I was glutened and to prove compliance, I have my blood tested regularly. My numbers are consistently very low so I know I am not getting glutened. This has worked for me so far but others may not be comfortable with that.

For people with negative blood work to begin with, you could try using your regular products and see how you feel. If it causes a problem, you may want to rethink changing products.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I do not have DH either, never did to my knowledge, yet I react to gluten on my skin. I didn't in the beginning. I have been gluten free now for over 7 yrs. At 4 yrs, I realized I could not have gluten on my skin either. It's true, it is a personal preference as to whether you use gluten free personal products--for me, it's a must. It's just so much safer. Shampoo can easily get into your mouth and eyes while rinsing in the shower, conditioner too! Hand lotion can get on your food--cross contamination alone is enough of a reason. My policy--better safe, than sorry!!!! Wheat in my soaps burn the minute it touches my skin--so, I am very careful.

As for you meal, did you use an old scratched pan, maybe you cross contaminated yourself that way--maybe it wasn't the Walmart soy sauce. Maybe another spice you may have used that wasn't gluten free, some aren't?

debmidge Rising Star

Last month I called L'Oreal about one of their skin lotion products and rep told me that anything with fragrance could have low level of gluten in it. I do gluten-free skin products because my celiac husband has this tendency to kiss my face ;) and I don't want him to get any gluten on his lips.

Anyway,the L'Oreal rep said that unscented has "masking agents" which does not mean it's fragrance free & again could contain low level of gluten; unfragranced means that there should be no gluten in it as there is no fragrance.

So I didn't buy the L'Oreal product as it had fragrance in it....

ElseB Contributor

I'm new to this forced gluten-free living and don't know how to find gluten-free non-food products. I note that shampoo, etc. never has ingredients labelled, and so I have no idea if its gluten free. Do I have to buy this stuff in a special store?

Can anyone recommend any brands of gluten-free products for:

- shampoo

- conditioner

- make-up

- toothpaste

- hairspray, gel, etc.

(I live in Toronto, Canada if that makes any difference - I don't think we always have the same products as in the U.S.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
I'm new to this forced gluten-free living and don't know how to find gluten-free non-food products. I note that shampoo, etc. never has ingredients labelled, and so I have no idea if its gluten free. Do I have to buy this stuff in a special store?

Can anyone recommend any brands of gluten-free products for:

- shampoo

- conditioner

- make-up

- toothpaste

- hairspray, gel, etc.

(I live in Toronto, Canada if that makes any difference - I don't think we always have the same products as in the U.S.)

Hi--I'm in the US, but I'll tell you what I use to give you an idea, and hopefully you can find some of the products where you are. Do note that sometimes formulas can vary depending on where it's made.

You can always call the manufacturer--I strongly suggest you do this--with any products you are considering.

Shampoo--I use Dove, who will clearly list any gluten on the label.

Conditioner--Dove

Makeup--Everyday Minerals for foundation, blush, concealer and lip gloss--

Open Original Shared Link

Also, Burt's Bees lip shimmers are gluten-free--the tocopherol in it is from soy.

I'm very sensitive, and have not had luck with body lotions found in stores, so I use Dakota Free Moisturizer

For mascara and facial creams, I like Personal Basics--(her products are also salicylate free, for those who need to consider that)

I use Crest toothpaste--I spoke with them and was told that all of their products are gluten-free.

I don't use hairspray, but I use Garnier Smoothing Milk on my hair before I blow dry. Garnier has great customer service and will answer any questions you have about their products.

Terbie Apprentice

This is all recent news to me too, so I'm not sure what to do with it.

Does anyone know of a list that states all of the ingredient names in beauty products that might contain gluten? I can't understand half of the ingredients listed on my shampoo, so I have no idea. I saw my conditioner actually said "wheat protein," so that's fairly easy to rule out.

What do you do about soap when you're out of the house? Do you bring your own with you everywhere you go?

• 1 month later...
Katrinm Newbie

I am one of the celiacs whose skin reacts. So happy to find others because I get so frustrated when I buy products, think the labels read free of gluten and an hour after using them I have bumps on my face.

What I have found that is things in the products that are not listed cause me the most problems. For example alcohol in products gives me bumps. So frangrance is ok if it is soy based and contains no alcohol. Also witch hazel (in toners) contains about 40% alcohol but that is not on the label. We really are at companies mercy!!

I saw the woman who started Herbology Beauty speak in a health food store here in NYC. She is a celiac/cosmetic chemist and started her company because she was frustrated with what was available on the market. Said that companies have to make a committment to be gluten free and train all their employees on it. Talked about things like watching who is selling the company ingredients to make sure that they are consistenly gluten free, how to read labels etc. Also she brought up cross contamination. Really interesting.

Does anyone have problems at spas? I went for a facial, asked if the treatment was wheat free....two hours later all broken out.

loco-ladi Contributor

My household consists of myself (gluten-free) and my hubby, 2 cats and 3 dogs...

other than the very tiny cupboard I allow my hubby to have for his "cant live without these gluten items" which ONLY come out when I am not home and he is restricted to certain pots and pans along with a very tiny excuse for a countertop... my house is gluten-free, the cats and dogs have gluten-free food as well as all shampoo's, lotions and vitamins

• 1 year later...
katiebugg Newbie

I was somewhat informally diagnosed with Celiac about a year ago. I am 21 and have had every vitamin deficiency, growth problem, and GI problem imaginable. Spent almost my whole life sick with something and nobody could figure out why I had such a weak immune system. Since going gluten free the migraines have stopped, the stomach problems, everything! One problem... the longer I am gluten free it seems like the more sensitive I become to the slightest contamination. I used to get hives and Eczema that went away after going gluten free, but are now coming back. Does anybody know if this means I need to start using gluten-free sking products too? Thanks for the help!!! :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I was somewhat informally diagnosed with Celiac about a year ago. I am 21 and have had every vitamin deficiency, growth problem, and GI problem imaginable. Spent almost my whole life sick with something and nobody could figure out why I had such a weak immune system. Since going gluten free the migraines have stopped, the stomach problems, everything! One problem... the longer I am gluten free it seems like the more sensitive I become to the slightest contamination. I used to get hives and Eczema that went away after going gluten free, but are now coming back. Does anybody know if this means I need to start using gluten-free sking products too? Thanks for the help!!! :)

I would start using gluten-free skin products and see if it helps..

cat3883 Explorer

My gastroenterologist said all products must be gluten free. You can call any manufacturer and they will know if their products are gluten free. I used to use very expensive skin products but now use Burts Bee products. They are wonderful, and gluten free. If it can touch your lips it can contaminate you. Make sure you check ALL meds. If you are prescribed any meds your pharmacist can call to make sure they are gluten free. They may not like doing it but that is part of their job. I have followed all suggestions my GI gave me and in 13 months my TGG level went from 63 to 4. Yes that's right a 4. 0-19 is normal. It really does get easier. Good luck to you.

Laurelf Explorer

I've been using Bare Minerals make-up from Sephora which I was told is g.f but made in a facility. I have DH and I think the make-up is bothering my face. Anyone else tried this make-up and had problems? There also could be something else in it that I'm sensitive to and don't know it.

Thanks,

Laurel

jerseyangel Proficient
I've been using Bare Minerals make-up from Sephora which I was told is g.f but made in a facility. I have DH and I think the make-up is bothering my face. Anyone else tried this make-up and had problems? There also could be something else in it that I'm sensitive to and don't know it.

Thanks,

Laurel

Hi Laurel,

I can't use Bare Minerals either--it makes my skin itch. What I attribute it to (and this may be true for you too) is the bismuth that they use. I switched to Everyday Minerals, which do not use bismuth. There is a mammoth thread here about the line.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...eryday+minerals

This is their site--

• 2 months later...
utdan Apprentice

I have a job in a company that makes over 30 skin care products. I once asked the master chemist whether there were any wheat based ingredients in the products and he said no. Then months later he came to me saying he didn't realize this before but one of the suppliers sends the company a mix of ingredients in a proprietary formulation under the name of something like "olive oil something something" (sorry I don't remember). Apparently, according to this experienced chemist this is the most popular skin lotion additive on the market because of its great dermal properties. Then he showed me the vendor advertisement for this "olive oil" mix additive and wheat protein was listed as the first ingredient!! Most likely you don't need to worry about buying products from my company as most of our market is in Japan and Australia. But if you come across a skin-care line of "True Touch" then you know these are the products I'm talking about.

Reba32 Rookie

I don't have DH, but I do have a skin reaction to using products that have gluten in them I think.

The soap at work was tearing my hands to shreds. I stopped using it and now I just use anti-bacterial hand wash at work. The soap I have at home doesn't bother me. I always have a small bottle of hand wash in my purse with me for when I'm out shopping or have to use a public restroom.

I went and bought all new shampoos, soaps, and cosmetics (went with all Nutrogena), because pretty much everything I had, had wheat listed on the ingredients. I'm pretty sure shampoos list the ingredients even in Canada, its just so small no one ever reads it, until you *have* to.

I'll be switching my Saint Bernard dog's food once she's done this bag (we just dump the bag into a rubbermaid box, so I can't return it without the packing), I hadn't considered cross contamination from the dogs before my official diagnosis, but now I do. My boxer was already on a grain free food, without me even realizing it. It's just what he decided he liked. I have always fed my dogs good food, higher meat content, no corn, no soya etc. Now I'm just also eliminating wheat (which is even considerably low down the list). It'll probably do her good, she's got some stomach issues that may be gluten intolerance, who knows!

I've recently been buying them only gluten free treats too. Only chicken jerky type treats, and pig ears.

Initially my $$$ expense has been a bit high for my budget, but on-going it won't be so bad. And it can take a while in the stores when you're looking for new products, but that too will get better with time.

And I coloured my hair the other day. I finally got rid of the grey! Now it's purple. :D

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Thanks,

Laurel

Bare Minerals is gluten free and I swear by it. I've used it for years and my skin actually improved because of it. I'm 40 and people say I look like I'm in my late 20's and I think that Bare Minerals is part of that, not all of it but part of it. Still if you are reacting to it, then something is bothering you and I would not use it.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I resisted gluten free beauty products BIG time. I am a total product snob and I love buying products. I stock up when there are sales and I only use high quality salon brands so I have a cupboard full of expensive stuff.

But... I kept feeling like I was getting glutened the first couple of weeks and I paid close attention to products. EVERY single thing I was using had gluten in it. Not make up, but all my soaps, lotions, etc.

So I wash my hair with gluten and it runs down my face. Put conditioner on and put my hair up while I finish my shower. It runs down my face. Wash my face with gluten and it goes over my mouth. Put lotions on my face with gluten and then get on my lips. Gluten soap is on the hands. Gluten lotion is on the hands. Then you prep your food or grab a handful of grapes.

Whether or not is goes into your skin is debatable. Studies say it does not. However if you are using enough gluten products it will get into your mouth. It's just impossible for it not to.

I cried about my products. Most of the good ones have wheat in them and I've been a loyal tried and true Redken girl for years now. I cried about saying goodbye to my Blonde Glam and all my faves.

• 2 months later...
A.L. Newbie

Hello.

I got this email from Philosophy on 4/23/2010.

hi amy!

thank you for contacting philosophy! for your reference i have provided a list of gluten free products below:

purity

hope in a jar

microdelivery peel

booster caps

microdelivery wash

shelter

big gorgeous eyes mascara

kiss me lip balm

lip shines

supernatural lip gloss

concealers

supernatural airbrush canvas

when hope is not enough replenishing cream

miracle worker cream

miracle pads

please let me know if i may be of any further assistance. you may also contact us at 1-800-568-3151 with any additional questions you might have. we are happy to assist you by phone monday - friday, 7am - 5pm (mst). thank you for your interest and have a great day!

kind regards,

danni l.

philosophy: believe you are beautiful

Also, I discovered a line called Juice Beauty that claims to be gluten free. I recently changed all my make up over to the Afterglow line. I like it alot. BTW, I'm not affiliated with the beauty industry. I just a beauty product junkie.

Whether or not Celiacs need gluten free skin/hair products is controversial but, I decided to simply because it's inevitable that I will touch or scratch my face or arm, then eat something. Cross-contamination right! hahaha.

My 2 cents worth,

Amy

Archived