This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Day In The Life Of A Gf Child

azedazobollis

azedazobollis Apprentice

Breakfast:

Grape Slush (493 calories!!)

2 grape juice bars

2 Tbsp corn syrup

1/2 c. grape juice or 7-Up

1 Tbsp corn oil

Blend in blender.

Snack:

snowcaps and jet puffed marshmallows in a bag

Chococlate boost plus blended with 1 T of peanut butter

Lunch:

Nacho corn chips with melted cheese

diced avacado slices

kiwi fruit sliced on the side

Snack

Fritos

Dinner:

t-bone steak

DeBoyles rice pasta

parmesan cheese and olive oil

asparagus

Dessert

THE GLUTEN FREE PANTRY chocolate cake

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ruth Enthusiast

Breakfast:

Cereal & fruit (Honey Rice Puffins & Fruity Pebbles)

Regular Balance Bar (Chocolate) NOT "Gold" or "Cruchy"

Lunch: This is a test. I sent "breakfast" to school b/c the cafeteria serves this once a month. It's the only school luch my kids wish they could buy. I'll let you know the verdict! I'm expcting very sticky lunch boxes!

French Toast Sticks (made last night with Ener-G Tapioca Bread)

Small container of 100% Maple Syrup

Dole Fruit Cup

Tropicana Orange Juice Box

Snack:

"Skinny" Corn Chips (they are puffy, like a "Funyun" texture)

Dinner:

Chicken parmasean (without the breading)

boneless chick breast, sliced peppers and onions, Classico Tomato Basil sauce

Bake covered for 45 min at 425 degrees.

Milk

Dessert:

Gatorade pops (made in ice cube trays)

or

Chocolate

KAthyB Newbie

Hi.....

Breakfast......bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on Trader Joe's gluten-free waffles

Snack.........Strawberries dipped in gluten-free vanilla yogurt

Lunch......grilled hot dog with cheese wrapped in a corn tortilla with grapes and apple slices

Snack.......Mr. Ritts bakery or homemade cookies with an Ensure shake (add a scoop of ice cream)

Dinner.......Chicken Tenders.....dip in egg and then a 50/50 mix of rice flour and Pamela's baking mix....deep fry( not healthy but good) .....steamed rice and brocolli w melted cheese

Snack........Vanilla Ice cream with a spoonful of gluten-free peanut butter and choc. sauce

Kathy

mat4mel Apprentice

These menus sound great; I wanted to add that somebody mentioned Kraft's parmasan cheese and I almost 100% sure it has wheat flour in it (the kind you buy off the shelf in the green container).

My dd can't have much dairy at all (little cheese here and there) AND no chocolate (usually has dairy anyway)... AND she is underweight, so I am having a hard time coming up with ideas to help her gain. Any ideas?

breakfast-- peanut butter banana muffins (homemade), or van's gluten free waffles, or malt o meal's fruity dyno bytes with soy or rice milk

lunch-- lunch meat, french fries, applesauce

dinner-- peanut butter and jelly roll ups (heat corn tortillas in a skillet with margarine, spread peanut butter and jelly in the middle and roll up)

snacks are usually some form of chips

angel-jd1 Community Regular

The Kraft Parmasean cheese doesn't have any wheat flour in it in the US. Kraft clearly states the top 8 allergens on the labels. I have a can in my fridge right now and mentions nothing about wheat.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Boojca Apprentice

For any of you who's children are 'missing' McDonald's Chicken Nuggets, have I got a deal for you! I recently got this recipe from Melonie on the Sillyaks message board, tried it Sunday night and whatta hit (I have a three year old and a husband)

Take ground chicken (YES GROUND chicken) and roll it into little balls. Then roll those balls in egg, and then in crushed Lay's potato chips (or something similar...I crushed mine in the food processor so it was not so chunky) then put the balls on a baking sheet, press down a little for that "McNugget Shape" and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Walla. McNuggets.

Bridget

lbsteenwyk Explorer

Day 1

Breakfast

Scrambled Eggs and Laura Linn (Ingles Brand) Hash Browns w/ Heinz Ketchup

Fresh Pear Slices (my daughter never eats fruit, but I'm including what my son eats to make the meals more balanced)

"Coffee-Milk" --1 oz of decaf coffee mixed with 2 oz of van boost plus and 4 oz of milk. (my little one wants to drink coffee like the grown-ups!)

Lunch

Cheese and Black Bean Quesadilla

Corn on the Cob

Canned Peaches

Dinner

Salmon Patties w/ Yogurt Sauce

** 15 oz canned pink salmon, diced onion, 2 eggs, leftover homemade cornbread or other gluten-free bread, crumbled, dill) Form into patties and fry in olive oil. Serve topped with yogurt sauce - it's very good

Yogurt Sauce - 1 cup Dannon Plain whole milk yogurt, 2 tbs mayo, 2 tbs mustard, dill - heat just until warm

Steamed Yukon Gold Potatoes with butter (they are also good with the Yogurt sauce)

Fresh Asparagus Spears

Snacks

Envirokids chocolate or peanut butter Krispy Rice Bar

Natural Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwich on B. Hagman's Bread

Day 2

Breakfast

Homemade Banana Muffins with Natural Peanut Butter

Pineapple Tidbits

Milk mixed with Vanilla Boost Plus

Lunch

Curried Chickpeas & Rice (usually leftover from the night before)

1 cup brown rice (if you're in a hurry you can use 2 cups of Kraft Minute Brown Rice)

1 can Garbanzo Beans

1 Can Petite diced tomatoes

1 TBS cumin, 1 heaping tsp Penzey's Sweet Curry Seasoning, dash cinnamon, dash grd cloves

Mix all ingredients in 2qt saucepan, bring to boil, simmer for 1 hour (15 minutes if using quick rice)

Serve with Sour Cream and Cheese

(my daughter ate 3 servings of this the other day; I nearly fainted!)

Green Beans

Red Grapes

Dinner

Seasoned Chicken Strips - sliced boneless chix breast seasoned with Galena Street Chicken and Rib Rub (Penzeys) and sauted in olive oil.

Mustard for dipping

Steamed Diced Sweet Potatoes topped with brown sugar and cinnamon

Steamed Broccoli

Snacks

Homemade Pumpkin Custard (pie filling without the crust) and Bryers Vanilla Ice Cream

Raisins, Plain Potato Chips

Note: If you haven't experienced Penzey's Herbs and Spices you should check them out at Open Original Shared Link. They have a huge variety of very high quality seasonings that are reasonably priced. Their herb and spice blends are delicious and do not have any added anti-caking agents. All the ones I use are gluten-free, so I'm sure most of them are. They list their ingredients very clearly. My favorites are: Parisiennes, Galena Street, Old World, Northwoods, Sweet Curry, and Bavarian. They sell all kinds of individual herbs/spices as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
n2nico Newbie

My youngest son is four and has been gluten-free for 1 1/2 years since diagnosed with celiac disease. It is awesome to see him so healthy again!

Breakfast:

Black Label bacon

fried eggs

Snack:

potato chips

Betty Crocker fruit snacks

Lunch:

Gerber Graduates Meat Sticks (similar to Vienna sausages and easy to heat up in microwave when in a hurry to get to birthday party)

sliced Granny Smith apple

Yoplait custard style yogurt

Snack at friend's birthday party at bowling alley:

gluten-free cupcake stored in freezer for birthday parties

(order from Whole Foods Gluten-Free Bakehouse: a dozen vanilla, a dozen chocolate and store them in my freezer)

See Open Original Shared Link

homemade icing (butter, confectioner's sugar, vanilla, blue food coloing)

blue-colored sugar sprinkles

Dinner at cafeteria:

hamburger patty cut up dipped in Heinz ketchup

strawberry jello

Bedtime Snack:

grapes

Okay, not our healthiest day,but we were pretty busy.

Also, an easy, unbelievably deliscious dinner that all four of my sons, my husband, and I love:

Texmati rice (tastes like corn) topped with

Monterey Jack shredded cheese

heated up rinsed canned black beans

gluten-free salsa

(and sour cream for those who can have gluten)

• 1 year later...
azedazobollis Apprentice

bumping this up again as Im back to the boards after a long absence. Can we start adding to this again?

wolfie Enthusiast

Here is a sample of DS's menu:

Breakfast:

Rich Chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast

2 Van's gluten-free Waffles or a bowl of gluten-free Cereal (Cocoa Pebbles or Envirokids Panda Puffs)

Snack:

Banana or Envirokids Bar

Lunch:

PB sandwich on Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread

Applesauce

Capri Sun

Lays Stax

Fruit Roll Up

Snack:

Cheese & Rice Crackers

Dinner:

Pizza made on Gluten-free pantry French Bread/Pizza crust (this was TDF!)

Corn

Salad

Milk

Dessert:

Snickers Ice Cream

FeedIndy Contributor

Breakfast: Envirokidz Gorilla Munch cereal, sliced banana, scrambled eggs

Lunch: Egg salad on rice crackers (DD also can't tolerate meat so we have to use a lot of eggs for protein), Birdseye Steamfresh vegetables, cheese cubes

Snack: apple sauce, Midel animal cookies

Dinner: Pot roast (coat meat with rice flour, place in baking dish, add cut up potatoes-we prefer red-baby carrots, drained can of green beans and 1-2 cans Swanson beef broth) baked for 3-4 hours; this comes out tender with an already thickened gravy-she eats everything but the meat and doesn't seem to have difficulty with it being cooked together. She just can't seem to digest meat.

Kibbie Contributor

Breakfast:

Bob's Red mill Gluten free Hot Ceareal with Bananas and a bit of brown sugar

Juice, water or milk

Snack:

Larabar any flavor or celery slices with peanut butter and raisins

Lunch:

Corn Tortilla quesedillas (I add spinach, cheese, and some other random veggie + left over meat chicken, pork, or beef from the night before) , Orange, and limeade A gluten free cookie for a special treat

Snack:

Trail mix I use Perky O's regular and frosted, craisins, m$m's, gluten free pretzels, sliced almonds, raisins, and sunflower seeds. mixed together

Dinner:

Prosciutto Chicken with a balsamic sauce (adapted from a William

Sonoma recipe)

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves,

lightly pounded to 1/2-inch thickness

3 Tbs. chopped fresh sage

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

1 cup Gluten free flour or all purpose baking mix

3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, plus

more as needed

1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock

2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, julienned (read the ingreedients some

have a seasoning that contain gluten call the package number if you

have a question)

2 to 3 tsp. balsamic vinegar (The good stuff is gluten free always!

If you get the cheep balsamic vinegar you'll have to read the lable)

Directions

Sprinkle the chicken evenly with the sage and season lightly with

salt and pepper. Put the gluten-free flour in a shallow dish. Dredge the

chicken in the flour and shake off the excess.

In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Working in

batches, cook the chicken until golden brown underneath, about 5

minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook until golden brown

underneath, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.

Whisk the stock into the pan. Add the prosciutto and vinegar and

bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, return the chicken to the

pan and cook, basting occasionally with the sauce, until the juices

run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, 7 to 10 minutes.

Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season the sauce with salt

and pepper and serve alongside. Serves 6.

Dessert: Baked Bananas with chocolate (I think its an old Epicruious recipe)

2 small bananas, peeled and sliced thin crosswise

2 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped fine

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Divide half of the banana slices between two 1-cup ramekins and sprinkle half of chocolate over them. Arrange remaining banana slices over chocolate and top with remaining chocolate.

In a bowl stir together cream and vanilla and pour over mixtures. Bake desserts in middle of oven 10 minutes.

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

OK, lets see,

Breakfast- egg cooked in the middle of a gluten-free piece of bread. Fry it up with butter on the bread, cut out the middle with a cup and add the egg. Flip till lightly browned. Also butter the middle circle thingy and fry that too. OJ and piece of cut up fruit.

Lunch-corn tortilla, may, tuna or hard boiled egg.

gluten-free pretzels, cut up fruit left over from breakfast.

Milk, rice milk, water, whatever to drink.

Cookie from the gluten-free bakery.

Dinner-

Nuked chicken with melted cheese on top,

green beans,

fried rice (white rice fried in butter, added gluten-free friend rice package)

drink of choice.....chocolate milk or rice milk

snack- I buy quite a few of the fruit things that diabetics use. I dont' know what they are called. Fruit Leather I think. Also, Breyers icecream and peanutbutter shake that my hubby makes.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Thanks for reviving this thread.

Lunch is our hardest meal (except on school days)

Breakfast: Nature's Path ? (Green bag with a bear) honey'd corn flakes

or puffed rice with brown sugar

or Kinnickinnik rice krispies

Bagged Lunch at school: 2 or 3 slices gluten-free banana bread - mini loaf size, about the size of your palm - recipe in the Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food for Kids cookbook

about 4 slices of marble cheddar cheese

1 hard boiled egg, sliced

about 4 slices of pepperoni, they are biggish slices, not quite the size of your palm

or two slices of ham rolled up and stabbed with a toothpick.

Juice either SunRype Wildberry juice or 5 Alive.

On "Fun Lunch" day about 2x a month he takes chicken fried rice and chocolate milk.

weekend lunch: nachos, hard tacos, chicken fried rice, leftovers, Thai Kitchen soup, bacon and eggs...whatever we can scrounge up.

Supper: rice, potatoes, beef & broccoli, chicken stirfry, Tinkyada noodles with meat/tomato sauce, lemon chicken, honey garlic chicken, shake & bake glaze chicken, hard tacos, maple salmon, roast beef, steak, meatloaf, roast chicken, once in a while fish & chips. Assorted veg.

Snacks/treats/dessert: apples, whatever fruit on hand, Dare fruit gummies, handful of chocolate chips, Zesty cheese doritos, Lays chips, ice cream, snack size Aero bars or Hershey chocolates, whatever baking I've done: angel food cake, cupcakes, apple crisp.

The biggest challenge for us is weekend lunch. We are always out and about driving to/from hockey or running errands and it's hard for us to pack a lunch, so we end up with the wierdest combinations of stuff in our bag. It's doable, but it'd be nice not to worry about it.

2kids4me Contributor

Scouter Matt's day while camping - tomorrow's menu :D (type 1 diabetic, celiac, lactose intolerant)

Cold cereal (crunchy corn, by Presidents choice)

milk for cereal

lacteeze tablet / insulin

snack :trail mix (peanuts, M &M's. sunflower seeds and raisons)

Lunch - sandwich and juice, tapioca bread (kinnickinnick mix) bun,meat, cheese

snack : apple or banana

Supper - insulin / learning to use white gas one burner stove> Plan to slice potatoes thin cook in small amount water, add carrots, onions and grimms polish sausage then add some Bovril chicken broth and make thick gravy with starchy water in pot. One pot to wash after, Scout rule #1 - dirty as few dishes as you can. Other option will be tin foil dinners if they can get a fire going - put potatoes, veges and meat in tin foil - wrap twice in heavy duty foil, make fire, and when coals ready - stick dinner in fire and rotate frequently, keeping an eye on which dinner is yours. In the latter version, they only have cutlery to wash.

snack - cheese and crackers (Glutano crackers) insulin /lacteeze

Between supper and snacks - perform skits around fire, giggle lots and make gross sounds - we're talkin 12 yr old boys :blink:

Sandy :lol:

He loves scouts and wants to backpack intoa camp one of these days

HawkFire Explorer

There is a lot of unhealthy food mentioned here. Kids do not have to eat cookies, chips and ice cream. I think the menus of some of these children are unhealthy and sure to promote disease in the future.

Cereal is not healthy. :o

Potato chips are not a vegetable. :o

Why does anyone eat ice cream? :o

Some of you who posted should re-read what you're feeding your children because it's nothing but carbs, sugar and more sugar and more carbs. You don't have to be 300 pounds to become a diabetic. <_< This is why children are developing diabetes at an alarming rate in our country.

No one likes me or my tone. The truth with love is what I lack said one poster. Well, Jesus flipped the tables in the church and made no apologies. Neither do I. You should thank me if you can honestly face your mistakes.

Americans need to wake up to the travesty which is their DIEt. It's killing our children. :(

Cantelope

nuts

varieties of lettuce

colored peppers

grapes

fruit that has not been irradiated!!!!

Organic meats

Wild caught fish

Real Spices

Coconut oil instead of butter!

Fresh Herbs

Do you have a yard?? Grow vegetables!

Beans- do you remember lentils, peas, other dried beans??

Salads are not just green and leafy. Use fruit in your salad, nuts, organic meat.

Eating is not for entertainment. It's for nutrition. YOUR FOOD SHOULD NOT BE "IN TECHNOCOLOR! Get rid of artificial coloring of any kind.

Never equate eating with entertainment. It is for nourishment of your body. You only have one body.

HawkFire Explorer
Open Original Shared Link
shayesmom Rookie
Some of you who posted should re-read what you're feeding your children because it's nothing but carbs, sugar and more sugar and more carbs.

That's not completely true...I saw a whole bunch of dairy and fat in there too! lol! JK!

All food fights aside, this is a really good thread in the fact that it promotes thinking outside of the box and gives us all some new ideas to help expand our menus. I know that in the beginning, I was soooo focused on all of the foods that my dd couldn't have, that I just couldn't see all of the things that she could still have. (And my dd can't have any gluten, dairy, eggs, food colorings, artificial sweeteners and is intolerant to everything soy except for Vegenaise and Earth Balance....go figure). I think that the thing which helped me out the most was having to plan our trip to DisneyWorld where I couldn't bring my kitchen with me and had to plan out a week's worth of meals and snacks. We brought necessities from home and a shopping list for when we got there of foods that we could find in a regular market. So this is what I came up with. Hope it helps give people some ideas (and if anyone wants more details on a specific recipe, just PM me).

Day 1

Breakfast: Cream of buckwheat with cut up fresh strawberries (or other fruit) and agave nectar to sweeten.

Lunch: gluten-free organic deli sliced turkey, tortilla chips with salsa or hummus, sliced cucumbers

Dinner: Organic (nitrate-free) hot dogs, baked beans and corn

Day 2

Breakfast: Organic bacon, homefries, carrot/apple juice and toast

Snack: Watermelon balls

Lunch: Pasta and tuna salad (made with Vegenaise), fruit salad, pickles or sliced cucumbers

Dinner: Baked chicken or pork loin, steamed carrots, mashed potatoes with home-made gravy (sometimes mashed cauliflower “potatoes”). With the chicken, I do make stuffing sometimes.

Day 3

Breakfast: Fresh fruit in season, gluten-free pancakes with real maple syrup, rice milk

Snack: Glutino pretzels

Lunch: BLT sandwiches (if we have leftover bacon from the day before), potato salad

Dinner: Sirloin steak, oven roasted sweet potato fries, baked beans and sliced tomatoes (or a salad)

Day 4

Breakfast: Sliced ham, potato pancakes, carrot/apple juice

Lunch: Chicken salad with finely chopped celery, red onion and halved grapes, sliced mango or apple with organic peanut butter to dip it in

Dinner: Seafood pasta with shrimp, scallops, mushrooms, broccoli, red pepper, red onion and chopped romaine ribs and celery with a salad.

Day 5

Breakfast: Van’s gluten-free waffles with either maple syrup or fruit preserves and/or mashed banana

Lunch: Chili with LOTS of beans, potato salad, cornbread

Dinner: Sea bass or orange roughy baked with olive oil, fresh tarragon and some lemon juice, steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrots

Day 6

Breakfast: Quinoa flakes cooked with banana and raisins or blueberries (no sweetener needed)

Lunch: Chicken soup (homemade from leftover chicken earlier in the week), tomato sandwich and a pickle or cucumber depending on dd’s mood.

Dinner: Spaghetti with marinara or meatballs, gluten-free garlic bread, steamed zucchini (cut into very thin strips and mixed in with pasta….dd LOVES it this way)

Day 7

Breakfast: gluten-free pancakes with fruit

Lunch: Sliced ham, grilled ham sandwich or sometimes a lettuce wrap with ham and cubed tomato and celery, Tings

Dinner: Stir-fry with chicken or pork, plums, apple jelly, carrots, broccoli, water chestnuts and some fresh herbs (dd can’t have the gluten-free soy sauce and neither can I).

Day 8

Breakfast: gluten-free cereal with fruit of choice

Lunch: Chicken soup, baked potato and green beans

Dinner: Cabbage rolls, mashed potatos

Snacks: Home-made salsa and chips, hummus with fresh veggies and/or veggie chips, graham crackers (that I made)

Treats and/or occasional desserts: Enjoy Life chocolate chips, brownies, cookies, organic fruit gummy bears or fruit leathers, Larabars or other snack bar. I did bring cupcakes to sub in for dessert 2 nights of that week.

aprilh Apprentice

Breakfast: Namaste Gluten free pancakes OR scrambled eggs OR a "bird nest" - ener-g Rice bread with hole cut in the middle and egg cooked inside.

Lunch: Usually leftover dinner from the night before OR Grilled cheese using Ener-G bread and goat milk cheddar.

Snacks: Cut up grapes, carrot sticks, Envirokids Koala Crisp cereal, rice cake with almond or sunflower butter on top. We don't do peanut butter just because.

Dinner: I usally always cook a protein with 2 veggies: lemon chicken with peas and Rice and brocolli OR Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots and green beans. They also like Salmon cakes (using gluten-free bread crumbs - I make my own by just food processing some Ener G rice bread - store it in the freezer to use as needed), and I make homemade baked french fries.

My 2 year old can't have gluten, soy, dairy or corn products so that makes it tough.

My 6 year old can't have gluten, or dairy.

There is a lot of unhealthy food mentioned here. Kids do not have to eat cookies, chips and ice cream. I think the menus of some of these children are unhealthy and sure to promote disease in the future.

Cereal is not healthy. :o

Potato chips are not a vegetable. :o

Why does anyone eat ice cream? :o

Some of you who posted should re-read what you're feeding your children because it's nothing but carbs, sugar and more sugar and more carbs. You don't have to be 300 pounds to become a diabetic. <_< This is why children are developing diabetes at an alarming rate in our country.

No one likes me or my tone. The truth with love is what I lack said one poster. Well, Jesus flipped the tables in the church and made no apologies. Neither do I. You should thank me if you can honestly face your mistakes.

Americans need to wake up to the travesty which is their DIEt. It's killing our children. :(

Cantelope

nuts

varieties of lettuce

colored peppers

grapes

fruit that has not been irradiated!!!!

Organic meats

Wild caught fish

Real Spices

Coconut oil instead of butter!

Fresh Herbs

Do you have a yard?? Grow vegetables!

Beans- do you remember lentils, peas, other dried beans??

Salads are not just green and leafy. Use fruit in your salad, nuts, organic meat.

Eating is not for entertainment. It's for nutrition. YOUR FOOD SHOULD NOT BE "IN TECHNOCOLOR! Get rid of artificial coloring of any kind.

Never equate eating with entertainment. It is for nourishment of your body. You only have one body.

I have to agree!

Archived