This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's A Pain, But Not The End Of The World...

mrsry

mrsry Rookie

While I was at Whole Foods last night, I thought I would try to see if I could get something like cake to eat on my birthday later this week. I went up to the bakery counter and asked if they had anything gluten-free resembling cake, and immediately heard a couple next to me saying loudly, "Could you imagine?" "Wouldn't that suck so bad?" "I would rather kill myself." They were almost snickering. And it only got louder when I was told that my only option was pie. By then I was so angry at that couple that I turned down the pie and walked away.

I wish I had gotten up the courage to turn around and say to them that yes it DOES suck once in a while, but do I look like I should die? What kind of thing is that to say in front of someone? If they think not being able to eat cake is the worst thing that can happen to you...

Anyways, I have a lot of options! I have some gluten-free cornbread mix; I might make some mini-muffins with maple butter. Or I could get a Korean rainbow rice cake, which has beautiful stripes and would look great with candles. The Korean tradition is to eat rice cake on one's birthday instead of cake.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MELINE Enthusiast
While I was at Whole Foods last night, I thought I would try to see if I could get something like cake to eat on my birthday later this week. I went up to the bakery counter and asked if they had anything gluten-free resembling cake, and immediately heard a couple next to me saying loudly, "Could you imagine?" "Wouldn't that suck so bad?" "I would rather kill myself." They were almost snickering. And it only got louder when I was told that my only option was pie. By then I was so angry at that couple that I turned down the pie and walked away.

I wish I had gotten up the courage to turn around and say to them that yes it DOES suck once in a while, but do I look like I should die? What kind of thing is that to say in front of someone? If they think not being able to eat cake is the worst thing that can happen to you...

Anyways, I have a lot of options! I have some gluten-free cornbread mix; I might make some mini-muffins with maple butter. Or I could get a Korean rainbow rice cake, which has beautiful stripes and would look great with candles. The Korean tradition is to eat rice cake on one's birthday instead of cake.

Good for you, you understand that it is THEIR problem not yours. I really think we should every day thank god we are lucky enough to have food to eat even if it is gluten-free it is food!!Just think of all the people who just do not have food.....We are so so so lucky. Our health problem is so small. There are children having cancer, there are millions of people dying because they do not have water or food. Let's be realistic and graceful (spelling???) For god's sake this is nonsense. We are privileged. Everyone has a little problem, a little health issue. It is not a tragedy. I keep laughing at those people who pitty me. It is so funny. My life is a gift. I hope you feel like this too. And I hope next time something like this happens you smile and feel happy because you really are healthy and alive.

Kisses

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I've gotten that "I'd kill myself" comment quite a few times too. I never know quite how to respond to it. I always say something like "Well, if I did eat it, I'd be killing myself in a slow and painful way!"

People are just stupid sometimes. Feeling healthy is all the reward we need. They can keep their gluten! I mean, really? They'd kill themselves over not being able to eat a cookie???

Lisa Mentor

Many people find it easy to criticize that which they don't understand. Unfortunately, that's human nature.

Restaurant dining can be frustrating especially when you're looking into the drippy creamy sauce of the plate of your dinner partner and drooling into your own sauceless meal. Or getting tired with the same old entree that you order time after time because you know its safe.

Dinner at friends homes is equally frustrating and embarrising at times. You feel that you're being critiical in examining the cooking techniques of your host. You don't eat what is being served not because you don't like it, but because you don't know if it's safe. Again, an insult to the well meaning host. And you just do the best you can, with a smile. Yeah, it sucks sometimes. <_<

But I have CAKE. Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix is better than any gourmet, expensive cake around. Most gluten products have been replaced with "almost as good" products. In the three years since I was diagnosed, GREAT, GREAT inroads have been made and I look forward to the next three.

I really can't complain. :D

Lisa16 Collaborator

I am sorry you had such a poopy experience and I am even sorrier that they didn't have a cake for you.

I am glad that you know you can't eat gluten and are not sick anymore! Now that is something to celebrate!

Do you like angel food cake? I made one yesterday and it turned out really well. It has rice and tapioca flour. If you want ther recipe, I will send it to you.

Or do you prefer chocolate? I found a good recipe for a flourless chocolate cake.

Happy Birthday!

Wonka Apprentice

They were very insensitive and their behaviour spoke volumes about them. You showed yourself to be the better person by just walking away despite how you were feeling. Feel good about that.

Wonka Apprentice
I am sorry you had such a poopy experience and I am even sorrier that they didn't have a cake for you.

I am glad that you know you can't eat gluten and are not sick anymore! Now that is something to celebrate!

Do you like angel food cake? I made one yesterday and it turned out really well. It has rice and tapioca flour. If you want ther recipe, I will send it to you.

Or do you prefer chocolate? I found a good recipe for a flourless chocolate cake.

Happy Birthday!

I'm making an Angel Food cake today for our Easter dinner dessert. I am serving it with whipping cream with mango nectar whipped into it and fresh sliced mangoes. I'm drooling already. lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

I find most people like that think about their current life and what it would be like to take out gluten. For them it would just be a hardship and wouldn't bring any benefit to their life. But a celiac's life on gluten isn't a normal one. It's one of being very sick, bedridden, in constant pain, dying young. To a celiac, there's a huge benefit in not eating gluten. I would have politely turned around and told that couple exactly why my life no longer sucks - because I don't eat gluten!

fedora Enthusiast

Nothing this extreme has happened over gluten. I get just a That sucks. But when I explain I feel better, they are glad for me. They could have just said the pies were good there.

What this really reminded me of was when I had twins 7 years ago. Most people thought they were adorable, but some jerk would say things like "ouch" or "I would have run away from home." The worst was when people would say things about my 3 year old son having to deal with it all. This was my life, not theirs. These were my precious babies whom I would never run away from. Ettiquete should be required in school. Just say nothing if you can't say anything nice.

I would walk away or say, " well it is a good thing it didn't happen to you, cause then your kids would have had a bad mom."

BUT with actual parents having twins or a hard time with something else, I am very supportive. I would never make comments like that to someone else.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I have had my share of comments over the years. In addition to the comments already covered I have received comments like "You poor thing". I know the comments such as this are meant to be console. For these kinds of comments I do take the time to explain that this is the way I need to eat to stay healthy and it does not bother me.

I agree kbtoyssni, people make these comments because from their perspective eating gluten free for the rest of their lives incomprehensible. They do not understand really understand the how sick someone with Celiac can get they eat gluten.

nikky Contributor

ive had people who think its the end of the world too.. but well done to you for rising above it, its their problem not yours and they shouldnt of been listening to what you were saying anyway <_<

people like that are either really tactless or really idiotic.. or both. Most of the time its down to a lack of education, people always act stupidly with things that they dont understand, they dont realise that the people who have the conditions are just like everyone else and have a right to live just the same. My freinds were really OTT when i told them.. they couldnt comprehend a life without cookies :huh: once i explained it all they were like 'oh well not eating cookies is better than getting weak bones (i didnt mention the cancer risk, they over-reacted as it was.

I got about 3 'you poor thing's and 'aw thats terrible' from my auntie today.. i know its meant to make you feel better .. but it doesnt it just sparks a convesation about what gluten does and how much more gluten-free food costs and i end up feeling like a parrot (well it does with my family)

itchygirl Newbie

I have a good friend who has Phenylketonuria

Open Original Shared Link

watching her deal with her diet (and drink that nasty stuff she has to drink) really helps put my dietary issues into perspective. Plus, if people started "poor thinging" me I could push her to the front :lol: Not that that's ever happened. People are usually so excited to actually meet somebody who has that disease they always read about on the back of diet sodas, they just freak.

Wonka Apprentice
Nothing this extreme has happened over gluten. I get just a That sucks. But when I explain I feel better, they are glad for me. They could have just said the pies were good there.

What this really reminded me of was when I had twins 7 years ago. Most people thought they were adorable, but some jerk would say things like "ouch" or "I would have run away from home." The worst was when people would say things about my 3 year old son having to deal with it all. This was my life, not theirs. These were my precious babies whom I would never run away from. Ettiquete should be required in school. Just say nothing if you can't say anything nice.

I would walk away or say, " well it is a good thing it didn't happen to you, cause then your kids would have had a bad mom."

BUT with actual parents having twins or a hard time with something else, I am very supportive. I would never make comments like that to someone else.

I hear you. I actually heard someone mumble about how there were too many children in the world and that I should have thought of that (I have triplets). I put it down to ignorance and moved on(for me it was 3 or none). When women would say I'm glad it's you and not me. I would whole heartedly agree with them and tell them that I was delighted that my children had me for a mom and someone who didn't want them.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I have heard that comment once, from someone whom I already know to be unimaginative and unaware of what come out of their mouth. And that person promptly corrected their statement. But if I heard it randomly, without a correction, I'd be very tempted to turn to the person, and with sincerity in my voice say "I'm really sorry that you have such a bad life that bread and pasta is more important than friends, family, and anything else in your life that could be your passion. I hope you find more to life than food from a single grain."

psawyer Proficient
I have heard that comment once, from someone whom I already know to be unimaginative and unaware of what come out of their mouth. And that person promptly corrected their statement. But if I heard it randomly, without a correction, I'd be very tempted to turn to the person, and with sincerity in my voice say "I'm really sorry that you have such a bad life that bread and pasta is more important than friends, family, and anything else in your life that could be your passion. I hope you find more to life than food from a single grain."

:o Well put, Tiffany. I don't know if I would have the nerve to actually say it while keeping my voice calm and sincere. I nearly did kill myself by eating gluten while not knowing why I was so sick. :angry:

kbtoyssni Contributor
I hear you. I actually heard someone mumble about how there were too many children in the world and that I should have thought of that (I have triplets).

Woah - did they think you just woke up one day and decided to have three kids at once for the heck of it??? It's not like you have much control over stuff like this :P

I hope you find more to life than food from a single grain."

Oooh - I love this!

nikky Contributor
I hear you. I actually heard someone mumble about how there were too many children in the world and that I should have thought of that (I have triplets). I put it down to ignorance and moved on(for me it was 3 or none). When women would say I'm glad it's you and not me. I would whole heartedly agree with them and tell them that I was delighted that my children had me for a mom and someone who didn't want them.

well thats just stupid, as the previous poster pointed out, you didnt decide to have 3 children at once .. some people really need to think about what they are saying dont they.

Wonka Apprentice
well thats just stupid, as the previous poster pointed out, you didnt decide to have 3 children at once .. some people really need to think about what they are saying dont they.

There are a significant number of people in the world who speak first, engage brain second. Not the best order in my opinion. lol

shayesmom Rookie

I think that depending on how my day was going, I may have turned around and said to them, "Yes, you should kill yourself. The world is overrun by idiots who are too ignorant to realize that they are idiots. And they're also too stupid to realize when they're being rude...just to top it all off. One less is a step in the right direction!". LOL!

Truly, I'd rather have issues with gluten, dairy, soy and egg....than go through life being a mouth-breather like those people. You can treat food-mediated disease. There's nothing you can do to "treat" stupidity. Well....at least not legally. ;)

TestyTommy Rookie

Wow, this thread turned out to be kinda fun!

There's a lot of ass jacks in the world. Who the heck comments on other peoples' food orders? It's none of their frickin' business, is it?

I haven't run into any jerks like this, but now I'll be ready when I do!

fedora Enthusiast

Wonka,

Wow. You have triplets. I had a 3 year old and twin newborns, not triplets, but alot going on. No one made the too many kids already in the world comment, but we got called a herd. Now lots of the families we know have 3 kids. We were trendsetters around here. :D

MDRB Explorer

I think we've all had those comments. People are in general pretty ignorant about things they don't understand. I was probably just as ignorant before diagnosis. Personally I am happy not to eat gluten as I feel fitter and stronger than ever before.

As far as the cake goes, try a gluten free cake mix (most are pretty good) or google 'flourless chocolate cake recipe' there are heaps of them out there and they usually come out rich and delicious.

How sad for non celiacs that they don't have an opportunity to experiment with wonderful new ingredients and flavors :)

Wonka Apprentice
Wonka,

Wow. You have triplets. I had a 3 year old and twin newborns, not triplets, but alot going on. No one made the too many kids already in the world comment, but we got called a herd. Now lots of the families we know have 3 kids. We were trendsetters around here. :D

I call them my litter.

debmidge Rising Star

Your choice of cake was none of their business. If they listen in, they should be polite enough not to show it...or say nothing.

My husband's sister said this same incredible thing to him when he first went gluten free. The sad part of it is I think she has undiagnosed celiac herself. She won't go and get tested. So by not going gluten free, she's not only probably going to kill herself, but she's needlessly suffering with the celiac symptoms. Not too bright.....

MDRB Explorer
I think that depending on how my day was going, I may have turned around and said to them, "Yes, you should kill yourself. The world is overrun by idiots who are too ignorant to realize that they are idiots. And they're also too stupid to realize when they're being rude...just to top it all off. One less is a step in the right direction!". LOL!

Truly, I'd rather have issues with gluten, dairy, soy and egg....than go through life being a mouth-breather like those people. You can treat food-mediated disease. There's nothing you can do to "treat" stupidity. Well....at least not legally. ;)

LOL,

Last time I had an insensitive comment from a gluten eater I was having a really really bad day and I threatened to beat the hell out of him with the 2 kg bag of potatoes I was carrying. Perhaps not the most mature response but I'm sure he'll think twice before the next time he decides to pisses of a celiac with PMT.

Archived