This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Family Foods To Go!

Frances03

Frances03 Enthusiast

Hi again! We live in a smaller town and there are no good places we can grab a bit to eat. We are often on the go with my son's basketball league, sometimes games are in other towns over an hour away. We need some food ideas because we are starving! There are 2 of us eating gluten free now. We have NO bread, because there isn't any for sale here other than the frozen ezekial?? brand and I haven't tried it because it looks awful. SO, we cannot take sandwiches with us. I am desperate for ideas! I am just totally blank on what we could bring. We end up bring a bag of potato chips and then starving until we can get home and fix something! Thank you SOOOOO much for any ideas you can suggest.

L

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer
Hi again! We live in a smaller town and there are no good places we can grab a bit to eat. We are often on the go with my son's basketball league, sometimes games are in other towns over an hour away. We need some food ideas because we are starving! There are 2 of us eating gluten free now. We have NO bread, because there isn't any for sale here other than the frozen ezekial?? brand and I haven't tried it because it looks awful. SO, we cannot take sandwiches with us. I am desperate for ideas! I am just totally blank on what we could bring. We end up bring a bag of potato chips and then starving until we can get home and fix something! Thank you SOOOOO much for any ideas you can suggest.

L

We have been in this position, and ZonePerfect bars were the answer for us. They have several flavors which are gluten-free (I have a recent post on this). They are high in protein, so they are good for you and fill you up a lot better than chips or something like that. You can get them at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, grocery stores, etc.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Meat roll-ups. Lunch meat wrapped around a pickle or a cooked carrot. Slap in a piece of cheese if you eat dairy. Just like a sandwich without the bread. You can put on mayo or mustard if desired. It will hit the spot on your away from home trips.

Mtndog Collaborator

I'm not sure how MUCH food you need but some of my favorite traveling companions are:

rice bars (EniroKidz) with peanut butter

fruit

hummus and veggies or rice crackers (I LOVE Mary's Gone Crackers)

cheese and rice crackers

cold gluten-free pasta salad (I use Tinkyada)

cold gluten-free pizza (Amy's Rice Crust pizza)

chips and salsa (you can put pieces of cheese on the chips to make them more filling)

popcorn

Hope this helps!

Mtndog Collaborator
Meat roll-ups. Lunch meat wrapped around a pickle or a cooked carrot. Slap in a piece of cheese if you eat dairy. Just like a sandwich without the bread. You can put on mayo or mustard if desired. It will hit the spot on your away from home trips.

This is a GREAT idea- you can also wrap your sandwiches in lettuce. I've had falafel and some other things this way.

ang1e0251 Contributor

You can use plain old corn tortillas anyplace you would have used bread. Make sandwiches with it or roll-ups. I make grilled quesadillas using them in place of grilled cheese. I toast them in the toaster for toast or bases for little pizzas. Great with peanut butter and jelly, too!

mamaw Community Regular

Protein Bars are also good to carry in a purse or pocket. We all love the comfort bars...order online.

Oberto makes two beef jerky orig & 1 other that is gluten-free, there may be others that are gluten-free as well. Gary West meats has delicious steak strips.cheese & gluten-free crackers you have a great snack. Leafty green salads with cold chicken or turkey & a gluten-free pkt of salad dressing.

Breads! Whole foods has a couple of breads. We too leave in an area where gluten-free shopping is not!!!!!So I travel about three to four times a year anywhere from 2 to five hours to stock uo on gluten-free . Plus I do a lot of mailorder.

Sisters Three has a wonderful white bread mix, Udi's, Bertille Buns has superior hamburger buns. These all can be ordered online... the way to get your monies worth in the shipping cost is to load the box up & not half filled. All freeze very well. Just place a piece of paper between each slice of bread that way you do not have to thaw a full loaf of bread......

If you like to bake Pamela's has very good bread mix, Anna's bread mix Yummy!

Other things to make & take is chicken salad, tuna, chicken nuggets, crackers & peanut butter, trail mix.....

GoPicnic has meals that are like lunchables, again another mailorder.

hth

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm not self promoting but click on my profile and there's a link to what we do for meals on the go-bento! Lunchinabox.net is a great bento( Japanese style packed meals) resource. You don't need special equipment. Any old tupperware container will do and you don't have to use asian food-just browse some sites and pick out the ideas that'll work for you. Most of them are designed to be eaten at room temp./not warmed up.

luvs2eat Collaborator

There are no gluten free breads where I live either. The only offering in the health food store is inedible and could be used as cardboard or as a bulletin board! I buy Pamela's gluten free bread mix from Amazon in a box of 6 packs. If you can coordinate your ordering (I also order my Tinykada pastas from them), shipping is free... the individual package cost is less... and UPS brings it to your door!!

Couldn't live w/o sandwiches!!

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Unless Ezekiel bread says GLUTEN FREE on it, it isn't! Be careful! If your talking about the bread I'm thinking of, it most surely isn't gluten-free.

How about a thermos? With a widemouth, you could take anything you wanted. Not just soups, but bits of roast and potatoes or maybe taco meat with cheese that you could eat with chips.

I like to eat hot food when it's cold outside. It tastes better!

Northern Celiac Newbie

L

well, I know what you mean about the bread. I learned to make gluten free crackers and I put either hummus or margerine on them.Corn tortillas also work. The best thing I have done tho is switch to the mediterranean diet. For the most part it is mainly gluten free. There are a few subsituitions required but since I have gone to the diet I have felt better then I have in a VERY long time. My town in northeastern bc(canada) has no where for a celiac to eat otu either so I have learned to cook. Go to 30 min meals. she has a lot of good ideas

cheers

purple Community Regular

How about baggies of chex mix, trail mix or muddy buddies?

Make lots of muffins and freeze/wrap individually, ready to grab and go

Cheese sticks

Celery and p.b.

Yogurt (I keep a few plastic spoons in the car)

Refried beans and tortilla chips

Apples dipped in p.b.

Nuts and seeds

Chunks of pumpkin/banana bread, etc. (make a loaf and cut into chunks, wrap and freeze)

Cold chicken

Boiled eggs

If you can have oatmeal, oatmeal muffins are very filling

Frances03 Enthusiast

WOOHOOOOOOO!!! :D You guys are AWESOME!! I'm going to print out this whole thread and paste it on my fridge!!! Thank you SOOOO much!! Tonight we drove 1 1/2 hours to some little town in Montana for a 45 minute basketball game and I came home to this wonderful information, I am so happy!! I mean really, sometimes you just need someone to tell you "hey, what about a boiled egg?" and I am soooo thankful!! I was just completely brain dead on any ideas and now I have so many I'm about to cry. And the bread ideas! I love to bake and I haven't tried one thing since my diagnosis, I was just too afraid to I guess. Now I want to try Pamela's and Anna's and even baking my own. oooo I'll have to start another thread asking for favorite bread recipes ;) Again, THANK EVERY ONE OF YOU!!

ps-what type of lunchmeat do you use? I do not like packaged lunchmeat and I'm afraid to try asking the walmart deli to slice me anything for fear of cc! haven't had lunchmeat since diagnosis either! I miss my shaved ham!!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I only eat Hormel Naturals. They're delicious and I've never had a reaction to them. In my area, every chain grocery store carries them, even WalMart.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast
I only eat Hormel Naturals.

I go with the Hormel Naturals also. One of the grocery stores in town carries gluten free deli meat, Kretschmar products. I haven't tried it because of the cross containation issues. The store's dietitian told me it should be ok if I order it the day before so they can slice it after they clean their equipment. Right now I'm happy with Hormel.

You could also slice roasted meat for you lunches. Does not have to be deli meat. I believe Oscar Meyer Bologna is gluten free. Correct me if I'm wrong but thought I saw it posted some place on here that it was gluten free.

mamaw Community Regular

We use Boar's Head deli meats or Dietz & Watson deli meats!

Northern Celiac Newbie
WOOHOOOOOOO!!! :D You guys are AWESOME!! I'm going to print out this whole thread and paste it on my fridge!!! Thank you SOOOO much!! Tonight we drove 1 1/2 hours to some little town in Montana for a 45 minute basketball game and I came home to this wonderful information, I am so happy!! I mean really, sometimes you just need someone to tell you "hey, what about a boiled egg?" and I am soooo thankful!! I was just completely brain dead on any ideas and now I have so many I'm about to cry. And the bread ideas! I love to bake and I haven't tried one thing since my diagnosis, I was just too afraid to I guess. Now I want to try Pamela's and Anna's and even baking my own. oooo I'll have to start another thread asking for favorite bread recipes ;) Again, THANK EVERY ONE OF YOU!!

ps-what type of lunchmeat do you use? I do not like packaged lunchmeat and I'm afraid to try asking the walmart deli to slice me anything for fear of cc! haven't had lunchmeat since diagnosis either! I miss my shaved ham!!

argh, skip the packaged stuff, get some chicken cook it and cut it up for meant. You know what you;ve done with it. oh yah some more meal ideas go to www.unico.ca, click on receipes. most of them take less then and hour to make. I am tell you that the more food you make the better off you WILL FEEL.

if you have to use packaged meat go for something like capicolli or procuitto ham.

The only prepackaged meals I get are the glutino brand whicvh I know are gluten free. I get their pizzas and pad thai meals. also a company called enjoy life makes a gluten-free granolawhich is quite nice

anyway cheers for now

and don't give up on cooking for yourself

C heers

Mike

Archived