This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The True Story Of Celiac Disease

Mord

Mord Apprentice
Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Sounds pretty sketchy to me. I'm going with scientific evidence, rather than somebody's opinion.

kareng Grand Master

There is so much in that article that doesn't make sense.

Emilushka Contributor

As soon as they said Candida (yeast) is a bacterium, I stopped reading. Candida is a yeast, which is a different type of animal than a bacterium! Anyone with a 100-level bio course in their background would know that. The fact that this article made that mistake, and I only needed to read for 30 seconds in order to catch that, is a glaring enough error that I trust 0% of the rest of what it says. Even without reading.

cassP Contributor

omg... i could not finish that- it was all over the place with misleading and innaccurate thoughts ...

i finally stopped reading when the author stated as "fact" for a 3rd time- that this fake autoimmune disease is ALWAYS triggered by an overrun immune system.. true- many Celiacs initially get triggered by an event like an infection or a pregnancy.. but some of us only require the "trigger" of consuming GLUTEN (which is what our antibodies are reacting too- NOT YEAST which is also NOT a bacteria)

Oyyyyy :blink:

Skylark Collaborator

Well, the overly clever spelling of "Health Wyze" should have been a tipoff. Some really dangerous advice in that article, not to mention the complete ignorance by the author of modern mechanistic research.

wheatsucks Newbie

I think homeopathic types give people false hope. I've tried their 'healing' way before in different problems and it has never worked. It is too good to be true. The medical community that is made out to be the evil empire is the only thing that has been helpful to me and my family. We are living happy and healthy thanks to them and I find it hard to believe they take the time to sabatage other health opinions. Add conspiracy fanatic to the list of things this article wants us to believe. Craziness.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

If you look at the web site they have several opportunities to donate. :ph34r:

cassP Contributor

I think homeopathic types give people false hope. I've tried their 'healing' way before in different problems and it has never worked. It is too good to be true. The medical community that is made out to be the evil empire is the only thing that has been helpful to me and my family. We are living happy and healthy thanks to them and I find it hard to believe they take the time to sabatage other health opinions. Add conspiracy fanatic to the list of things this article wants us to believe. Craziness.

just because this writer was ridiculously ignorant doesnt mean that "homeopathic" types arent of any use... i use several different homeopathic tablets & creams- because they were the only things that worked.

and there is SOME truth to our medical community being "evil" or failing us- isnt "Celiac" enough of an example of how our medical system has failed us????????

Emilushka Contributor

just because this writer was ridiculously ignorant doesnt mean that "homeopathic" types arent of any use... i use several different homeopathic tablets & creams- because they were the only things that worked.

and there is SOME truth to our medical community being "evil" or failing us- isnt "Celiac" enough of an example of how our medical system has failed us????????

To be REALLY fair, medicine as we know it is a baby science that everyone expects us to have perfected already. Unsurprisingly, we haven't. We haven't even had antibiotics for that long, let alone understood the way cancer works. We still don't entirely understand cancer, HIV, and many other huge world-wide killers that are naturally taking research funding away from Celiac Disease so that lives can be saved as the top priority, rather than just making us feel better when we already CAN feel better (for the most part) with a restricted diet.

It's not that the medical community is evil, but when you have to actually LEARN something through research, it takes time, money, and manpower. We are still working on cancer, HIV, etc. We'll get to Celiac Disease, but it's definitely not #1 on the list. Nor should it be.

cassP Contributor

To be REALLY fair, medicine as we know it is a baby science that everyone expects us to have perfected already. Unsurprisingly, we haven't. We haven't even had antibiotics for that long, let alone understood the way cancer works. We still don't entirely understand cancer, HIV, and many other huge world-wide killers that are naturally taking research funding away from Celiac Disease so that lives can be saved as the top priority, rather than just making us feel better when we already CAN feel better (for the most part) with a restricted diet.

It's not that the medical community is evil, but when you have to actually LEARN something through research, it takes time, money, and manpower. We are still working on cancer, HIV, etc. We'll get to Celiac Disease, but it's definitely not #1 on the list. Nor should it be.

yes, it doesnt have to be top priority.. yes its very easy for us to treat ourselves- but you have to admit- that the medical schools (especially in the U.S.) are so far behind- (pardon my attitude- but the Pharmaceutical Companies & Health Insurance Companies don't make any money off of it). it is more profitable for them to diagnose everyone with IBS for years and put them on steroids.

it's the education that i find lacking in our system- i mean how many Dermatologists have NEVER heard of DH??? why does EVERYONE in the U.S. know what MS is.. but not Celiac? why do they genetically test all infants in Italy- but not here?

i have utmost respect for nurses & doctors- that's not my beef- it's the corporate system. i am very happy i live in america- and can find the best treatment in the world.. i love that i can be put into a very comfortable twilight while getting a colonoscopy- but i wish that it could not be part of Big Business. i DO think doctors should make a crapload of money- but i do not agree with Health Insurance Cos & Big Pharma profiting via our misfortune and years of misdiagnosis.

dont mean to offend anyone- but yes- i have a lot of anger concerning this...

Emilushka Contributor

yes, it doesnt have to be top priority.. yes its very easy for us to treat ourselves- but you have to admit- that the medical schools (especially in the U.S.) are so far behind- (pardon my attitude- but the Pharmaceutical Companies & Health Insurance Companies don't make any money off of it). it is more profitable for them to diagnose everyone with IBS for years and put them on steroids.

it's the education that i find lacking in our system- i mean how many Dermatologists have NEVER heard of DH??? why does EVERYONE in the U.S. know what MS is.. but not Celiac? why do they genetically test all infants in Italy- but not here?

i have utmost respect for nurses & doctors- that's not my beef- it's the corporate system. i am very happy i live in america- and can find the best treatment in the world.. i love that i can be put into a very comfortable twilight while getting a colonoscopy- but i wish that it could not be part of Big Business. i DO think doctors should make a crapload of money- but i do not agree with Health Insurance Cos & Big Pharma profiting via our misfortune and years of misdiagnosis.

To be fair, MS does kill people. Celiac doesn't.

Having been through medical school, we aren't taught that much about MS either.

And you're right that USA medical care is driven by corporate America and big pharma, but at the same time, that doesn't make your individual doctor "evil".

I take issue with the idea that we're supposed to know the answers to every Celiac question when we haven't had antibiotics for more than 65 years and we're about to hit a critical point in which antibiotics won't work anymore. There are way more pressing matters than Celiac.

I have Celiac. I miss cheese. I miss bread. I hate feeling like crap. I'm not trying to minimize our suffering ... except that we don't die from what we have. We just suffer.

When I see dying people daily and I see what happens to people whose diseases aren't well treated, I feel extremely lucky. We have Celiac. We suffer. But we don't die - that is SERIOUSLY LUCKY FOR US.

cassP Contributor

undiagnosed Celiac could also kill someone. that's the problem- doctors rarely consider checking for this. i dont know if i neccessarily blame the doctor- its just the whole system.. Maybe i sound like a conspiracy theorist but i believe with every cell in my body- that it is not considered because it is nonprofitable. its just not right to put someone on steroids for decades for "IBS" or "Crohns" when they could have easily considered and checked for Celiac or Gluten Intolerance. think of how many people were never able to have kids.. or ended up with a colostomy bag.. or died of stomach cancer

i dont consider my doctors "evil", but i do think of Big Pharma & Health Insurance as "evil" without a doubt. in Finland, they diagnose 70% of the Celiacs.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

We suffer. But we don't die - that is SERIOUSLY LUCKY FOR US.

I have to disagree that celiac doesn't kill people. The inflammation that celiac creates can have some very dire results when it goes undiagnosed for years and years. I was very close to death when I was finally diagnosed. My kidneys were permanently damaged, my heart is enlarged and by the time I was diagnosed I had been having D daily and nightly for over 10 years. I had diverticuli throughout my entire large intestine and when one of those choose to burst the results could be deadly. Oddly enough we attribute diverticulosis to constipation but mine was the result of the extrememly powerful forces that were purging my body daily and has resolved since I have been diagnosed. The celiac reaction also had impact on my pancreas which would have resulted in full blown diabetes if not caught when it was. I also had severe asthma as a result which can also be a killer but has also resolved since diagnosis. Celiac itself may not be fatal but the impact from the full body inflammation certainly can be. Inflammation also plays a role in cancer development and we all know how deadly that can be. The impact on my brain and nervous system resulted in not just impact on my ability to walk but also to do things like swallow without choking, one of my biggest fears was choking to death in front of my children. I could no longer read and even had trouble talking and remembering how to do little things like what to do with my keys to start the car. My daughter even told me the family would understand if I committed suicide about 6 months before I was finally diagnosed. In addition the depression that hit when I was still a child did cause me to commit suicide at 11. I was lucky and only spent a few days in ICU in a coma. My mother was told I would likely never wake up and I would be a 'vegtable' if I did. How many celiacs suffering brain impact are not lucky enough to be brought back after a suicide attempt?

There is a reason why we have the unhealthiest population in the entire world. We rank with 3rd world countries in infant deaths and our population has more disease and ill health than any of the countries that routinely test their populations for celiac. This country has made some great advances in treatment for many things but we have a lot to learn about prevention of those diseases. Routine testing for celiac of the entire population and the support of doctors that are actually knowledgable about the disease would save not only the quality of like for many it would save lives and health care dollars.

GFinDC Veteran

I whole-heartedly agree with RavenWood about the dangers of celiac disease. The work load on our medical system would most likely decrease and health care costs for all of us decline if proper preventative care was given to the population. How may people would be healthier if there doctors told them to try the gluten-free diet to treat their IBS instead of telling them to take drugs? We don't know, but it could be millions of people. But that doesn't make as much money for the medical community so it isn't done. This simple change which doesn't require research, drugs, a whole lot of hard thinking even could be the biggest health improvement for our country in decades.

RavenWood, sorry you had to go thru all that!

OK, this article on Heath-wyze is really off the mark. When they recommend people eat whole wheat flour to cure celiac disease they are outright dangerous.

How To Cure Celiac Disease

Treatment goals are:

* Suppress candida (yeast) overgrowth

* Stimulate healthy intestinal flora

* Stimulate intestinal repair

Changes To Your Diet

* The diet is: no sugar, lay off alcohols (especially beer), no mushrooms, limit yeast, limit caffeine as much as possible. You may eat meat, vegetables, milk products, and whole wheat, but it has to be only brown, wholemeal flour, brown rice, etc.. Do not eat any processed foods. They are mostly "enhanced" sugars, processed vegetable oils, and engineered flours. Avoid all white flours, and white breads. This is critical. *

kareng Grand Master

I have a feeling the person who started this post and some similar posts and comments might have something to sell, either a product or this website which asks for donations.

Looking for answers Contributor

Are you for real?!

Jestgar Rising Star

Are you for real?!

I interpreted Em's post as meaning that celiac disease can be treated, and most of the time cured with the proper diet, whereas there are diseases that are debilitating and progressive that we really have no way of treating.

Gemini Experienced

There is not much research into Celiac for the simple reason there is no money in Celiac Disease. All of the big illnesses that cause death far more often than Celiac will continue to get all the research dollars because there are therapies and treatments which fund the medical profession and hospitals. I am not accusing all doctors of being money whores but it's a business and they need to make money to fund their business. It's common sense.

No one is going to spend years and dollars going through medical school, only to come out and make $60,000.00 per year. I don't blame them, either.

Having said that.....I really don't care about doctors doing a lot of research into Celiac, except to learn how the disease process works so as to inform people who have it. I am perfectly comfortable having this disease and am doing really well. I like the fact I can control it myself, for the most part, by following the gluten-free diet. No treatments or surgeries to contend with....how nice is that? This is way better than a cancer diagnosis or any of the other really debilitating diseases that people suffer from. I was extremely sick at time of diagnosis and near to having a feeding tube installed yet, once I figured it out and got tested, my recovery was remarkable. It took a long time but I am the healthiest I have ever been. The only down side is I have acquired 3 other autoimmune diseases from having undiagnosed Celiac for so long and the fall-out from those can be annoying and expensive.

I am still better off than many people I know, eat far healthier than they do, and have none of the American problems that are rampant today due to eating a crappy diet and not exercising, like high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a weight problem. I would much rather they find a cure for the horrible diseases that exist and are a problem, like cancer. The treatments offered are still as bad as they were 30 years ago and too many people still suffer horribly. Celiacs, for the most part, can control their health all on their own, if they follow the diet and educate themselves on how to do it correctly. You can't do that with cancer. Maybe that's the reason Celiacs generally do so well...they don't have to be pressured into taking loads of pills that seem to be pushed all too often.

Archived