19 replies to this topic

#16 paige350z

paige350z

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

I do have some problems with produce. While my problems are kinda complicated and I'm still trying to sort out what all intolerances I have and done have, I know that Citrus bothers me. Orange and lime for sure. Sometimes when I drink lemonade i get a sour stomach, but no other reaction. Whereas Oranges will put me in the bathroom all day. Onions bother me too. I have to be very careful with those.
Dairy Free since Jan 2004.
Undiagnosed Celiac since 2004 until diagnosed with Celiac Dec 2009.
Currently trying to discover my other sensitivities and intolerances.
And mostly learning more each day!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

Just a thought... Could you have OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome)? I have it with some nuts but it is very common with fresh produce too. The body mistakes the food for a pollen. For instance, celery is related to birch. If you have OAS your body might react to raw celery. But you could probably eat it cooked.

I have a problem with most fruits. A person once surmised that it might be the natural sorbitol in the fruits. Sorbitol gives me horrid stomach pains.

#18 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

I have a specific citrus reaction, not like anyone else's reaction to things, but a reaction I get to other things I don't tolerate also. I became intolerant about two years ago. I am hopeful that I might be able to eat it again sometime.... I developed it because I just plain ate too much of it. That's how I became intolerant of caffeine too - too much coffee when I worked in an espresso bar/nightclub type place (no, I won't try to explain that, you have to be a Kiwi to understand it :lol: )
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

For those who react to citrus - are either of you dairy or soy intolerant/allergic?

Most of the citrus you'll find in the stores, organic or not, has a wax coating on it (it can be considered organic because it's based on an insect, as I recall). But the particular wax on the citrus uses soy or dairy casein to help get the texture right.

I get a gluten cc issue with most commercial citrus, but I kept having a soy allergy reaction too. then I hunted down some folks near me who had citrus trees and didn't spray, add coatings, wash it with soap after picking, nothing. I ate an entire bag and didn't react once.

Right now, though, even at the farmer's market, half the time when they say their oranges have no coatings and so on, I still react. But when I KNOW the source, like have seen their tree and know there's nothing on it, I have been okay with no reaction.

Might be worth checking on, if you have one of those two other allergies and the reaction isn't too bad. :)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#20 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:25 AM

I am not sensitive to soy and I also react to coated oranges. I can eat them from a guy I know who doesn't put anything on them. Yum. It is nice to be able to eat oranges again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: