This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mouthwash Has Gluten In It

iamsarar

iamsarar Rookie

Hi....I have a mouth piece I wear at night to prevent teeth grinding. I soak it in 1/2 water 1/2 mouthwash during the day. I have been constantly nauseous for a couple of weeks now and called the company to see if what I thought was gluten free mouthwash really wasn't. I just found out is wasn't!! So glad to know the cause. But now because this expensive mouth piece has been soaking in this stuff what do I do now. I thought about boiling it. and now I need to find a new mouthwash. Any suggestions on the mouth piece or what to use now?

The mouthwash I was using it Walmart Equate fresh mint.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Hi....I have a mouth piece I wear at night to prevent teeth grinding. I soak it in 1/2 water 1/2 mouthwash during the day. I have been constantly nauseous for a couple of weeks now and called the company to see if what I thought was gluten free mouthwash really wasn't. I just found out is wasn't!! So glad to know the cause. But now because this expensive mouth piece has been soaking in this stuff what do I do now. I thought about boiling it. and now I need to find a new mouthwash. Any suggestions on the mouth piece or what to use now?

The mouthwash I was using it Walmart Equate fresh mint.

Open Original Shared Link

WATER, ALCOHOL (15 WT%), GLYCERIN &/OR SORBITAL, FLAVOR, POLYSORBATE 80, SODIUM SACCHARIN, SODIUM BENZOATE, CETYLPYRIDINIUM CHLORIDE, BENZOIC ACID, BLUE 1, YELLOW 5

Don't see any culprits here regarding gluten, but it is obviously something in the ingredients is bothering you.

Try another mouth wash to see if it gets better. All Crest mouth rinses, toothpastes and white strips are gluten free.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

WATER, ALCOHOL (15 WT%), GLYCERIN &/OR SORBITAL, FLAVOR, POLYSORBATE 80, SODIUM SACCHARIN, SODIUM BENZOATE, CETYLPYRIDINIUM CHLORIDE, BENZOIC ACID, BLUE 1, YELLOW 5

Don't see any culprits here regarding gluten, but it is obviously something in the ingredients is bothering you.

Try another mouth wash to see if it gets better. All Crest mouth rinses, toothpastes and white strips are gluten free.

Just a heads up! I just called Crest last Friday and two of their mouth washes have traces of gluten in them. It's the Pro Rinse varieties. Lisa, I thought the same thing and I bought Crest Pro Rinse about six months ago. Then I just called this week to confirm that the Crest 3D vivid toothpaste was gluten free because I was having strange symptoms. The rep told me that all of their toothpastes are gluten free, but not their mouthwashes. I almost fell out of my chair! :blink: I always thought that all of crest products were gluten free, but I was so wrong. Here I had gluten in my house for the last 6 months and didn't have a clue. I was so mad at myself.

I know Scope and Listerin are gltuen free, but I would always call the company from now on just to make sure nothing changes.

I learned my lesson. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to add that, lucky for me, I stopped using this about two months ago. I really do hate mouthwash anyway... :P

iamsarar Rookie

The label looks different then this on the link. My label says Mouthwash clean and fresh. I called the customer 1-800 number and the person I talked to said that "yes this does contain gluten" After reading your post I decided to try again and see if I get the same answer. I got a different person, after giving them the numbers on the back of the bottle she said the same thing. " yes this mouthwash contains gluten" I don't which ingredient it is that has gluten in it but it would explain why I have feeling awful every morning, because I have been trying to figure it out to 2 weeks. I going to stop using it and see. I'll let you know.

psawyer Proficient

I can't see any gluten source in there either. If you are reacting to something on that list, my first guess would be the sorbital [sic]. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol which causes digestive upset in some people.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Reading this I almost wonder if the people you spoke to had gluten confused with glucose. I would have asked instead if it had any wheat, barley, rye, oats or malt derived ingredients. Anyway, there's no doubt it could be bothering you and I would switch too if I were you. I use Listerine daily and have not had any problems with it. To degluten your mouthpiece you will want to wash it well. I would take a clean toothbrush and scrub it well, rinsing with hot water. Hot water alone will not "kill" the gluten so you need to scrub it with something to get in the crevices.

Lisa Mentor

The label looks different then this on the link. My label says Mouthwash clean and fresh. I called the customer 1-800 number and the person I talked to said that "yes this does contain gluten" After reading your post I decided to try again and see if I get the same answer. I got a different person, after giving them the numbers on the back of the bottle she said the same thing. " yes this mouthwash contains gluten" I don't which ingredient it is that has gluten in it but it would explain why I have feeling awful every morning, because I have been trying to figure it out to 2 weeks. I going to stop using it and see. I'll let you know.

I *THINK* that the ingredient in question is the alcohol. In past years alcohol was considered a gluten source. Currently, it is considered gluten free regardless of the source of the grain due to the distillation process (it removed the offending gluten)......don't think that the information has gotten out yet to the customer relations peeps. And many times, its a CYA statement. ....it's so tough to learn.

....but then, I may be wrong. I do find it difficult to believe that gluten would be in mouth wash.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

iamsarar Rookie

OK....I called back a third time :blink: this time THIS third person said that the mouthwash IS gluten free, BUT it is manufactured in a plant that makes many other products that are NOT gluten free and it is advised that if you are on a gluten free diet you should NOT use this product. Why didn't they just say that the first time :huh:

Thanks for all your input!

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'd ask your dentist if you can dilute a teaspoon or two of peroxide with water as a solution to soak your mouthpiece. That's what they suggest to clean toothbrushes. It would probably save you money, too! Good luck!

Lisa Mentor

OK....I called back a third time :blink: this time THIS third person said that the mouthwash IS gluten free, BUT it is manufactured in a plant that makes many other products that are NOT gluten free and it is advised that if you are on a gluten free diet you should NOT use this product. Why didn't they just say that the first time :huh:

Thanks for all your input!

LOL....We have all been there! Sometimes your information is only as good as your customer service rep (and their ability to read a script).

What the third rep is telling you is that there are no gluten ingredients, but cannot verify a potential cross contact issues with their suppliers. Yeah... a CYA statement...in my opinion.

But, try another brand if you think you are having issues with this one.

iamsarar Rookie

LOL....We have all been there! Sometimes your information is only as good as your customer service rep (and their ability to read a script).

What the third rep is telling you is that there are no gluten ingredients, but cannot verify a potential cross contact issues with their suppliers. Yeah... a CYA statement...in my opinion.

But, try another brand if you think you are having issues with this one.

Thanks Lisa! Your response made me push the issue and ask the right questions when I called. I think I do have a problem with this one bottle at least. I am just going to use water for now and see how it goes.

cassP Contributor

Just a heads up! I just called Crest last Friday and two of their mouth washes have traces of gluten in them. It's the Pro Rinse varieties. Lisa, I thought the same thing and I bought Crest Pro Rinse about six months ago. Then I just called this week to confirm that the Crest 3D vivid toothpaste was gluten free because I was having strange symptoms. The rep told me that all of their toothpastes are gluten free, but not their mouthwashes. I almost fell out of my chair! :blink: I always thought that all of crest products were gluten free, but I was so wrong. Here I had gluten in my house for the last 6 months and didn't have a clue. I was so mad at myself.

I know Scope and Listerin are gltuen free, but I would always call the company from now on just to make sure nothing changes.

I learned my lesson. :rolleyes:

r u sure??? about the Crest Pro-rinse ?? i always get their brand that's alcohol free... i actually just tried to find something on their site- and it said that none of the ingredients included gluten, but that they could not guarantee there were not trace amounts... OY VEY :/

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

weird! I just used crest pro-health rinse this morning and now I'm having terrible reflux. ARGH. I thought it was the peppermint... could be gluten? Also, I use the pro-health toothpaste... just ordered some tom's online (can't get what I want over here) but I'll only have this for the week until it gets here.

but at the same time, I had a bite of bread on accident two days ago and didn't get reflux... so maybe it's a combination of CC buildup and peppermint? idk, I'm so confused since I'm so new to this... :unsure:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

When I use mouthwash I use one that is alcohol free. I think it is a scope but not sure as I don't use it often. You could try soaking it in Efferdent and rinse well before use. I use that for my partial.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

r u sure??? about the Crest Pro-rinse ?? i always get their brand that's alcohol free... i actually just tried to find something on their site- and it said that none of the ingredients included gluten, but that they could not guarantee there were not trace amounts... OY VEY :/

Hi Cassp,

Yeah, I just called them again this morning to make sure I heard it correctly. The rep told me that all of the Crest Pro-Health rinses may contain trace amounts of gluten. I was shocked, too. I threw mine out last week.

Lisa Mentor

Hi Cassp,

Yeah, I just called them again this morning to make sure I heard it correctly. The rep told me that all of the Crest Pro-Health rinses may contain trace amounts of gluten. I was shocked, too. I threw mine out last week.

Crest Pro-Health does not contain alcohol. Proctor & Gamble has been notoriously known to be extremely Celiac unfriendly, even to the point of requiring a doctors letter before ingredient information would be disclosed. <_<

I would have no problem with the listed ingredients. But, for whatever reason it bothers you (to include my above statement) , switch to something other.

cassP Contributor

Hi Cassp,

thanku!

and that sucks :(

julandjo Explorer

I couldn't believe this about the Pro-Health mouthwash, so I too called P&G just now. Holy fazoli, it's true! Gluten contamination is the case! :angry: Suddenly all my out-of-the-blue joint pain and constipation that's cropped up in the past month makes sense - that's when I started using this garbage. Hey at least they're sending me a reimbursement check. (Not that that makes up for what my body feels like)

julandjo Explorer

Actually... I called to check on Listerine, as that was my next go-to after chucking my Pro-Health mouthwash. They too cannot confirm that Listerine is gluten free! They do make other, gluten-containing, products on the same equipment. :o Not worth the risk for me.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Actually... I called to check on Listerine, as that was my next go-to after chucking my Pro-Health mouthwash. They too cannot confirm that Listerine is gluten free! They do make other, gluten-containing, products on the same equipment. :o Not worth the risk for me.

Oh no -I have some older bottles. I wonder if it's the same for them? :unsure: I haven't been using them in a while. Mouthwash really bothers my throat anyway. Looks like I'll have to make more calls on Monday. That is such a bummer! <_<

Oh no! That has been the only mouthwash I like and use regularly. I tried a new flavor last month--it was purple-- and I felt "off" while using it so I switched back to the mint one and felt fine. Now it is all making sense to me. I either got a bad batch or I used one of their ones containign gluten. I think the bottle I have now is okay but your post has me concerned. I'm going to drop the mouth wash for a while now and see if it helps with the lingering fatigue I've been having these last few months. What brands of mouth wash ARE safe!?!?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Oh no! That has been the only mouthwash I like and use regularly. I tried a new flavor last month--it was purple-- and I felt "off" while using it so I switched back to the mint one and felt fine. Now it is all making sense to me. I either got a bad batch or I used one of their ones containign gluten. I think the bottle I have now is okay but your post has me concerned. I'm going to drop the mouth wash for a while now and see if it helps with the lingering fatigue I've been having these last few months. What brands of mouth wash ARE safe!?!?

My dentist who is very gluten savvy recommended Act Alcohol free. I haven't checked it recently though as I rarely use mouthwash.

Takala Enthusiast

At this rate it will be down to cutting seed potatoes into starters, planting growing and harvesting them, then distilling our own potato vodka. Mix with rainwater and add sprig of home grown mint, thyme, and eucalyptus leaf.

:huh:

At least now I don't feel so paranoid for rinsing my mouth out thoroughly with water if and after using a mouthwash. :blink:

At this rate it will be down to cutting seed potatoes into starters, planting growing and harvesting them, then distilling our own potato vodka. Mix with rainwater and add sprig of home grown mint, thyme, and eucalyptus leaf.

At least now I don't feel so paranoid for rinsing my mouth out thoroughly with water if and after using a mouthwash. :blink:

I already grow my own potatoes, mint and thyme! Eucalyptus shouldn't be that hard. Now who is going to teach me how to make potato vodka? :D

PS: I'm not so sure about that rain water. How would we verify that it had not been previously evaporated from a wheat field, LOL! :ph34r:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You could just get a bottle of potato vodka, put some in a jar with some fresh mint leaves. Just don't get pulled over for a breathalizer soon after the spitting. :lol:

Archived