7 replies to this topic

#1 niki_moen22

niki_moen22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

My daughter & I both have celiac disease. I was diagnosed at 2 years old & she was just recently diagnosed at age 7. She takes her lunch to school every day now, so I started searching for chips that are gluten-free. I enjoy Lays Stax, but she doesn't so I thought I'd try the Original Wavy Lays. The website says gluten free, so does the package. However, she ate them yesterday & this morning she felt sick, tired & irritable. I ate them today (a few hours ago) and went from feeling great to feeling contaminated; tired, extremely irritable & I have a headache. Has anyone else had issues with this? As of right now, neither of us has been diagnosed with any other allergies. I am very sensitive to carrageenan, though.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

Some Lay's products have CC issues. Not sure it that is the problem in this case.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:35 PM

I was just about to ask if anyone has had any problems with the newly declared gluten-free products from Lay's.

Some people suffer from an intolerance to foods containing gluten, which is a type of protein found in wheat, rye and barley. Frito-Lay has validated through analytical testing that the following products contain less than 20 ppm of gluten.

Please note: The information provided pertains only to products made and distributed in the U.S. Products sold in other countries under similar brands may be made using slightly different recipes and ingredients to accommodate local needs and preferences.

Last updated April 5, 2011

BAKED! LAY'S® Original Potato Crisps
BAKED! RUFFLES® Original Potato Crisps
BAKED! TOSTITOS® SCOOPS!® Tortilla Chips
FRITOS® Lightly Salted Corn Chips
FRITOS® Original Corn Chips
FRITOS® SCOOPS!® Corn Chips
LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips
LAY'S® Deli Style Potato Chips
LAY'S® Lightly Salted Potato Chips
LAY'S® Natural Sea Salt Flavored Thick Cut Potato Chips
LAY'S® STAX® Cheddar Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Mesquite Barbecue Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Original Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® STAX® Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Crisps
LAY'S® Wavy Original Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Natural Reduced Fat Sea Salted Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Original Potato Chips
RUFFLES® Reduced Fat Original Potato Chips
TOSTITOS® SCOOPS!® Tortilla Chips

And it clearly indicates that chips you ate are supposed to be gluten-free. Is there anything else you could both attribute the feeling of shittiness to? I'm just wondering - sometimes when I think I've been C'd it's really something else. Like eating fruit with meals used to give some similar symptoms of consuming gluten.

Looks like for now I'll stay away though - never worth the risk.

#4 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

I've never had any problems with Frito-Lay, I work with them directly for my job and feel pretty comfortable with their methonds of cleaning the lines. However, the list I have from them is much larger!

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:39 AM

I know that I have reacted to gluten free food that tested by the company to less than 20 ppm, even less than 5 ppm. Some of us do and call ourselves super sensitive celiacs. You and your daughter may be in this group.

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:49 AM

Is it possible you are coming down with a bug?
If you are super sensitive you will find you react to less than 20 ppm.
Potato chip are just always eaten with your fingers and there is just more CC risk. Especially kids in school sharing food. You have others in the house who are not gluten free?
Michigan

#7 niki_moen22

niki_moen22

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

I am super sensitive, so its a good possibility that she is, also. I don't think we're coming down with any bugs because I feel totally fine today. My husband & 3 other children are not gluten-free (yet) but we are very, very careful. My husband & I are the only ones who ever touch the food & we make sure our hands are clean. However, this will not be an issue for much longer because my 3 other children had the blood tests a few weeks ago & 2 of them had levels through the roof (my youngest daughter's results were so high that they sent them back to be retested). As soon as they have the biopsies & diagnosis, then our entire family will be gluten-free. That's the other reason I was wondering about Lay's; I will soon be packing a lot more school lunches. Plus, we all love chips now & then! In the future, I suppose we just won't have the regular Lay's chips anymore. I have never gotten sick from the Stax so I might stick with those. Or, I may just start making my own potato chips! :-D I appreciate all the replies, thank you all so much! I'm so glad to belong to an online community like this where I can have questions answered.

#8 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

I am a super sensitive celiac. I have reacted to plain Lays. I don't eat them anymore. I do however, eat the Stax. I have eaten many many cans and have never gotten sick. I don't know if your daughter likes corn chips but Mission Corn Chips are gluten free and produced on dedicated equipment. I eat a lot of those too. They are the only 2 chips that I will eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: