This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could Someone Tell Me If This Marinara Sauce Has Gluten?

lolololo

lolololo Rookie

It is a local brand and the ingredients are:

imported italian plum tomatoes, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), canola oil, sugar, salt, garlic powder, pepper, basil, parsley, crushed red peppers

I think it is probably gluten free because of it being a small local brand, but wanted to make sure.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

In theUS and Canada, if it had wheat, it would have to say so. This sounds like a great sauce! You know what each item is. No weird ingredients an Italian grandma wouldn't put in it.

T.H. Community Regular

imported italian plum tomatoes, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), canola oil, sugar, salt, garlic powder, pepper, basil, parsley, crushed red peppers

I think it is probably gluten free because of it being a small local brand, but wanted to make sure.

You may want to call them up to double check on potential gluten cc, especially if they are as small company. Large companies tend to have more rigorous cleaning protocols in place.

I'd see if they make any sauces with sausage in them that might contain gluten, or if they also make/process pasta in the same facility as they process the sauce. Or other products that could be potential gluten cc issues.

psawyer Proficient

I see nothing in that ingredient list that would worry me. Everything is explicitly declared. As Karen said, nowadays wheat cannot be hidden, but even in the old days, none of those ingredients could have contained hidden gluten. Enjoy!

Skylark Collaborator

It looks good. I don't see anything I'd worry about either.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Definitely check it out - call, look on the net, whatever.

I got glutenend by Hunt's spaghetti sauce a while a go. They have several canned varieties and I didn't see any gulten ingredients. However, after feeling sick I went on the net and found out that some of the 'flavors' are not gluten free...No, it didn't really make sense by the ingredient list but I could hire myself out as a gluten detector. You just never know.

• 3 weeks later...
gigifree Rookie

If you list the product type and company we could research whether this specific product has gluten or not purposely in it, if it has a high risk of cross contaimination from where it is made, or the unreliablity of the products they use. I follow this simple rule, if the company does not list their product as gluten-free, it means it's not.

I switched to Trader Joe's pasta sauces and their gluten free brown rice pasta, and have not had a problem. Moreover, their sauces are made with olive oil, not canola (yuck) oil. They have a gluten free product list on their website and at their stores. They also have a fab gluten-free brownie mix that is so yummy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

if the company does not list their product as gluten-free, it means it's not.

This is not true. Many companies will not say gluten-free because they don't test. It does not mean that there is gluten in the product. In the US, we have no official gluten-free labelling laws. Something saying its gluten-free doesn't mean they have tested it or taken any special precautions. Certain gluten-free brands do test & have deciatied facilities, etc.

gigifree Rookie

Hi Karen,

If a company does not test to see if their products has gluten in it, then how would they know? They could be using tomatoes from different vendors and some of those vendors could use gluten. Also, some spice companies use gluten and others do not. My statement is if a company is not willing to test and label their product as gluten free, it means they know that they cannot guarantee it.

I have celiac disease and i don't just read ingredients listed, I look for the gluten-free mark too. Since I been buying products from gluten-free companies, markets and trader's joe (they take food intolerance very seriously), I have not been glutened. IF you have Celiac disease you need to be very careful. If you are eating gluten-free b/c you are trendy, then you have that choice. I do not.

Moreover, we all know not to trust company's and their lies. Case in point, MCd's fries.

Peace!

kareng Grand Master

Hi Karen,

If a company does not test to see if their products has gluten in it, then how would they know? They could be using tomatoes from different vendors and some of those vendors could use gluten. Also, some spice companies use gluten and others do not. My statement is if a company is not willing to test and label their product as gluten free, it means they know that they cannot guarantee it.

I have celiac disease and i don't just read ingredients listed, I look for the gluten-free mark too. Since I been buying products from gluten-free companies, markets and trader's joe (they take food intolerance very seriously), I have not been glutened. IF you have Celiac disease you need to be very careful. If you are eating gluten-free b/c you are trendy, then you have that choice. I do not.

Moreover, we all know not to trust company's and their lies. Case in point, MCd's fries.

Peace!

That's fine if that is how you wish to buy food. You will find some posts on here that disagree with you on the Trader Joes. Many of the things they choose to label gluten-free are also listed as made in shared facilities or equipment. They do not say that they test on the website:

this guide is a sampling of many of the products we carry in which No Gluten Ingredients are used, but it is not a comprehensive list.

Please - what companies use "gluten" in plain spices? When a company makes tomato sauce - where is the gluten on the tomatoes they buy? Please back these claims up.

For the majority of Celiacs, products with no gluten ingredients are fine.

Lisa Mentor

Definitely check it out - call, look on the net, whatever.

I got glutenend by Hunt's spaghetti sauce a while a go. They have several canned varieties and I didn't see any gulten ingredients. However, after feeling sick I went on the net and found out that some of the 'flavors' are not gluten free...No, it didn't really make sense by the ingredient list but I could hire myself out as a gluten detector. You just never know.

Hi NorthernElf...I know that you have been at this a long time. Would you kindly post the support information that you found in Hunt's spaghetti sauce, regarding their listing of "flavors". I use Hunt's a lot! :)

Lisa Mentor

. I follow this simple rule, if the company does not list their product as gluten-free, it means it's not.

There is NO legal standard in the US for what manufacturers can claim as "gluten free". I would follow main stream product that hold a good reputation for disclosing ALL forms of gluten....Kraft, Unilever, ConAgra, etc.

And I seen no offending ingredients in the sauce. :D Enjoy!

love2travel Mentor

Hi Karen,

If a company does not test to see if their products has gluten in it, then how would they know?

There are many ingredients and food intrinsically gluten free such as fresh fish, meat, vegetables and fruits, vanilla beans, pureed tomatoes, whole peppercorns and so on. It would not make sense to label such items gluten free. If I were to purchase only things labeled gluten-free it would be very slim pickings! :D

ETA: I buy very few processed foods as I cook/bake nearly everything in the house from scratch. Using mainly whole foods I know exactly what goes into all the dishes I make and serve.

gigifree Rookie

I am not sure what your point is. A company that says it up to you to decide is not liable, a company that states their product is gluten free is more liable. This is what these company's statements from their lawyers mean. So saying their product is gluten-free is a lot more meaningful than saying it is up to you.

As for Trader Joe's, I have had great success with there gluten-free list of foods, including their marinara sauces. So maybe, people reading this want to try it, which is an option for people. I use the TJ marinara to make pizzia with udi pizzia crust almost nightly. I love it.

gigifree Rookie

Actually, a lot of meats, like deli meat has gluten in it. Gluten is widely used as a filler. That's why Celiacs do not know what has gluten in it or not. THis is why we only use products that state that their products are gluten free. If you buy anything processed, I would check the company to make sure that it is gluten free. Many stores have lists of gluten free items in their store. You can get these lists on-line. So even if your local market does not know, you can find a product in your local store that is.

Lisa Mentor

A company that says it up to you to decide is not liable, a company that states their product is gluten free is more liable.

Liable? Do you mean accountable? There is no legal standard in using the term "gluten free". As of know, it's a matter of honor and truth in labeling.

Although, I appreciate those companies who will voluntarily label their products gluten free, it does not stop me from reading their labels. Some also voluntarily disclose "shared lines" or "shared facilities"...neither is required by law, at this time. NOR, does any disclosure indicate that any testing was conducted.

The bottom line is....educated yourself and make the best choices possible. The responsibility for your good health is in your hands and only your hands. Restaurants and food products are not responsible for what goes in your mouth. You are. Choose well! :D

love2travel Mentor

Actually, a lot of meats, like deli meat has gluten in it. Gluten is widely used as a filler. That's why Celiacs do not know what has gluten in it or not. THis is why we only use products that state that their products are gluten free. If you buy anything processed, I would check the company to make sure that it is gluten free. Many stores have lists of gluten free items in their store. You can get these lists on-line. So even if your local market does not know, you can find a product in your local store that is.

Sorry - I meant only fresh cuts of meat (i.e. from the butcher) - not processed and definitely not marinated!

kareng Grand Master

Actuallly, most deli meat is gluten free in the US. Many even label gluten-free. I don't get them cut at the deli counter because there might be one they cut that Isn't.

In the US, if they put wheat it in they must list it. Many companies, such as Con-Agra that makes Hunts, will list any gluten or oats in a product.

You also previously stated that we cannot trust companies, but you appear to be trusting them to be gluten-free if they tell you.

Jestgar Rising Star

I have celiac disease and i don't just read ingredients listed, I look for the gluten-free mark too.

As someone else said, good luck with that. I prefer to base my buying choices on common sense and past experience. My sour cream doesn't say "gluten free", but I'm pretty sure it is.

gigifree Rookie

As someone else said, good luck with that. I prefer to base my buying choices on common sense and past experience. My sour cream doesn't say "gluten free", but I'm pretty sure it is.

from this gluten free site, Open Original Shared Link

3. Sour Cream- I hate it when I accidentally bring home the light sour cream instead of the full fat sour cream. I have been hurt by the light sour cream, so if you are still eating dairy, make sure you bring the right kind of sour cream home. Most sour cream is gluten-free, but some brands of full fat/light sour cream are not. Restaurant sour cream is the worst. On the Border

gigifree Rookie

In the US, if they put wheat it in they must list it. Many companies, such as Con-Agra that makes Hunts, will list any gluten or oats in a product.

gigifree Rookie

Liable? Do you mean accountable? There is no legal standard in using the term "gluten free". As of know, it's a matter of honor and truth in labeling.

Although, I appreciate those companies who will voluntarily label their products gluten free, it does not stop me from reading their labels. Some also voluntarily disclose "shared lines" or "shared facilities"...neither is required by law, at this time. NOR, does any disclosure indicate that any testing was conducted.

The bottom line is....educated yourself and make the best choices possible. The responsibility for your good health is in your hands and only your hands. Restaurants and food products are not responsible for what goes in your mouth. You are. Choose well! :D

Companies who make food are responsible for the food they make and sell. If they lie to the food intolerant community they are liable (meaning they can be sued). And if companies are NOT telling the truth about what is in their food, then how can we educate ourselves. So food producers are responsible for the food they sell. This is the USA and American have rights.

Jestgar Rising Star

from this gluten free site, Open Original Shared Link

3. Sour Cream- I hate it when I accidentally bring home the light sour cream instead of the full fat sour cream. I have been hurt by the light sour cream, so if you are still eating dairy, make sure you bring the right kind of sour cream home. Most sour cream is gluten-free, but some brands of full fat/light sour cream are not. Restaurant sour cream is the worst. On the Border‘s sour cream is not gluten-free (last I checked) and I had to send my food back because they automatically put it on my salad even though I asked for the salad off the gluten free menu. Be very specific even when ordering from a gluten-free menu!

Ordering food from a restaurant is very different from buying it in the store.

And again, if these choices suit you, then go for it. The majority of people will have no issues buying foods that are naturally gluten-free, without resorting to only products that have been tested.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Companies who make food are responsible for the food they make and sell. If they lie to the food intolerant community they are liable (meaning they can be sued). And if companies are NOT telling the truth about what is in their food, then how can we educate ourselves. So food producers are responsible for the food they sell. This is the USA and American have rights.

They are responsible but only to the extent that the FDA regs state. At this point there is still no regs regarding gluten. Companies are required by law to state if any of the 8 major allergins are in the products but not gluten ingredients like barley and rye. Hopefully that will change when the FDA finally decides to finish the gluten regulations. Companies are not lying when they don't include small amounts of gluten, the best example I can think of off hand is Rice Dream which uses barley in their processing and still are legally allowed to call that item gluten free. Threatening to sue companies that are following the FDA regs is counterproductive IMHO instead we should be contacting the FDA and encourage them to make the regs clear as to the possibility of CC or not allowing stuff like barley used in processing to not be disclosed.

The safest thing for any celiac is to go with whole unprocessed food that does not need a label.

lovegrov Collaborator

I have found this not to be true at all, at least in the U.S. I can name only one or two brand-name deli meats that have gluten, and it's not as a "filler." And even those are just one meat out of the whole line. I can't name a single hot dog that has gluten and almost no sausages. Wheat as a filler in meats is pretty much one of those celiac urban legends (some people DO use bread in hamburger patties or meatloaf to help hold them together).

This is not to say that you don't need to check and read labels. You do. Anybody who HAS routinely found deli meats or sausages or other meats packed with gluten should post the brand or store where they've found them.

richard

Archived